Face masks at sea.

51 minutes ago, Keksie said:

I touch my face a lot more.  Pulling my mask down when no one is close, pulling it back up when someone comes down the aisle in the market, ripping it off and stuffing it in my purse the instant I am out of a store etc.  I am hoping the elastic holds out on my mask a few months longer.

I am the same and the mask is ALWAYS just beneath my nose line because I can't breath wearing it. And it comes off as I walk out the store and the much thicker covering coat goes over my face.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

How many of those bookings are with FCC that cost the line 25% additional? I would bet the majority of the bookings are money already spent. Cruise lines can't survive on CC diehard cruisers who book. They need new money. Many CC members like myself who's first vacation choice is cruising are now looking at alternatives. It goes beyond the masks. It's also the social distancing, limited capacity in the venues and most of all ship sponsored excursions. In addition we like an itinerary no shorter than 9 days. I don't see myself even looking for anything that sails before summer 2022.  If things change I'm sure that there will be a lot of last minute deals. We are free agents not committed to sailing one cruise line exclusively so that presents even more opportunity for a deal.

I think the double points in 2021 added to RCCL's bookings with new money.  Plus, the Cruise With Confidence policy is basically a refundable deposit on all bookings until 1/31/21.  I had 3 non-refundable deposits moved to 3 new bookings, and then paid a little extra for the higher deposits just this last week.  No change or cancellation fees on NRDs.

5 minutes ago, pcur said:

I think the double points in 2021 added to RCCL's bookings with new money.  Plus, the Cruise With Confidence policy is basically a refundable deposit on all bookings until 1/31/21.  I had 3 non-refundable deposits moved to 3 new bookings, and then paid a little extra for the higher deposits just this last week.  No change or cancellation fees on NRDs.

1/31/21 is just around the corner. I wonder what will happen if they don't extend that. Also they may as well have offered a free drink package. Those double points will never happen if the sailings are canceled. A free drink package, which isn't really free as CC members know but the unsuspecting general public would jump at that over extra points which mean nothing to those who would be new to cruising.

Edited by Iamcruzin

Just now, Iamcruzin said:

1/31/21 is just around the corner. I wonder what will happen if they don't extend that. Also they may as well have offered a free drink package. Those double points will never happen if the sailings are canceled.

That's why I booked all the cruises I need to reach Pinnacle before the end of next month.

Extending it will depend on how their bookings are going.  If they are getting lots of bookings on the 7 day or less cruises due to the CDC's 11/1/21 policy, then they might not.  But, I will venture a guess that they will extend it because the alternative is stagnating sales.

2 hours ago, ace2542 said:

I am the same and the mask is ALWAYS just beneath my nose line because I can't breath wearing it. And it comes off as I walk out the store and the much thicker covering coat goes over my face.

You might want to look into masks made with different material.  I have several that the middle portion of the mask over my nose and mouth ended up with 4 layers with an inserted filter in the inside "pocket".  I carefully cut out one layer of the thin cotton lining, and ended up with 3 layers in the middle with 2 layers along my cheeks, and I can now breath much better in them.

The masks that my husband and I like the best are made by Secret Artist and sell on Amazon.  They are double cotton fabric woven together, and we've been using them for months.  What we especially like is they come in sizes, so my husband can cover his big giant head face, and I can get a smaller size:

Secret Artist XLarge to 2XL Cloth Face Mask. Black Reversible Black Cloth Face Mask. Washable and Reusable- Face Mask for ...

On 12/10/2020 at 7:59 PM, ace2542 said:

Tell me Chris do they expect the crew like you 6 or however many in a cabin to wear a mask in your sleep? Because you could easily infect the other 5. And will passengers be expected to wear them in their sleep?

I assume, no. I share a cabin with 1 other person. Living in a shared cabin, is the same as you living in the same house with your own family. We usually share a cabin with someone we already work with.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, ROYAL CARIBBEAN DUDE said:

I assume, no. I share a cabin with 1 other person. Living in a shared cabin, is the same as you living in the same house with your own family. We usually share a cabin with someone we already work with.

I am surprised at that I thought with the amount of crew onboard some of these ships there would be more in a cabin.

18 hours ago, pcur said:

You might want to look into masks made with different material.  I have several that the middle portion of the mask over my nose and mouth ended up with 4 layers with an inserted filter in the inside "pocket".  I carefully cut out one layer of the thin cotton lining, and ended up with 3 layers in the middle with 2 layers along my cheeks, and I can now breath much better in them.

The masks that my husband and I like the best are made by Secret Artist and sell on Amazon.  They are double cotton fabric woven together, and we've been using them for months.  What we especially like is they come in sizes, so my husband can cover his big giant head face, and I can get a smaller size:

Secret Artist XLarge to 2XL Cloth Face Mask. Black Reversible Black Cloth Face Mask. Washable and Reusable- Face Mask for ...

Thanks for this.  Looking at it now on Amazon.

Are they easily washed?  Husband and I have bad sinus infections now from our masks not getting washed for 6 days while in bahamas.  My fault for forgetting to pack extra masks for us.  We only brought 1 N95 for the planes and 1 cloth for the islands.  

3 hours ago, jean87510 said:

Thanks for this.  Looking at it now on Amazon.

Are they easily washed?  Husband and I have bad sinus infections now from our masks not getting washed for 6 days while in bahamas.  My fault for forgetting to pack extra masks for us.  We only brought 1 N95 for the planes and 1 cloth for the islands.  

Yes, they are throw in the washer and dryer masks.  Very soft material, too.  When I take them out of the dryer, I stretched the ear straps a little, and stretch the mask lengthwise.  They are made of super soft tee shirt material, woven into doubleknit.

We each have 3, so there's one in the car, one in the wash, and one clean one.

But, I also have my 3 blingy ones that I had to alter for better breathability.

Edited by pcur

On 12/12/2020 at 9:17 AM, ace2542 said:

Will you tell people to wear the mask properly and get your head kicked in for doing it?. That could cause a lot of trouble and security are not paid enough to deal with it. Particularly when people are drinking or taking drugs. There were a lot of drugs in bliss on NCL gem at Christmas 2017. Security didn't care. Not paid enough too I suppose. They are not making what for instance nightclub doormen are making on land even the ones not needing to wear bullet proof vests.

There is a HUGE difference between security caring about drinkers and caring about masks.  One is a pain in the ass for cruise lines but not a big consequence to it.  The other could have the CDC close the line down, big loss of money.  

I think security/staff will be monitoring this like they never have anything before.  It's going to be the difference between keeping business going and closing down again.  Be interesting to see what Royal Caribbean Dude thinks.

And masks are not going to be forever, not sure why you think that.  Some may choose to continue but lots will toss them with a sigh of relieve when this is all over and governments okay it.  The time will come.

We have been on 4 weekend vacations since "reopening" and each has required masks and social distancing. We have absolutely no problems with masks. Like others on this thread, we wear masks at work every day and it is the part of the "new norm".

People fantasize that very, very limited supply of vaccines will return cruising back to the "good old days" next year. Not going to happen. The current CDC framework extends through most of the year and is likely going to be extended a lot longer. So if you want to cruise, you'll have to mask-up. 

1 hour ago, tinkertwo said:

And masks are not going to be forever, not sure why you think that.  Some may choose to continue but lots will toss them with a sigh of relieve when this is all over and governments okay it.  The time will come

What about people who get Covid in the future suing the cruise line the way these all inclusive resorts in Egypt get sued. Okay proving where you caught it might be a problem. And as long as the CDC says that 1 case means the whole ship locks down putting the next cruise at risk which it would. Masks will be worn and the CDC might say that forever.

It sucks, but I have a feeling that face masks will become the new normal going forward for awhile....even with the vaccine rollout.  I just wonder the rules...such as if you want a drink by the pool.  Does this mean you need to find a socially distanced spot to have your drink?  No walking with one?  Or what about a drink in the theatre?  And of course, suntan lotion + face masks will be pain.  But having said that, if all else is safe wrt covid, then we would cruise with masks.

Edited by LuCruise

1 minute ago, LuCruise said:

Or what about a drink in the theatre?

What about the theatre itself. These ships can't operate at 50% capacity forever. Eventually they will have to go back to operating with the numbers they can sell per sailing (and don't believe they are full they are not). If masks and by extension of masks social distancing is required for a good period of time surely they can't have the 2 dinner seating's  to 2 shows routine and have 2 pretty full theatres. But I don't think you can ask at least the entertainment teams to do 3 or 4 shows a day instead. It is exhausting enough for them doing 2.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ace2542 said:

What about the theatre itself. These ships can't operate at 50% capacity forever. Eventually they will have to go back to operating with the numbers they can sell per sailing (and don't believe they are full they are not). If masks and by extension of masks social distancing is required for a good period of time surely they can't have the 2 dinner seating's  to 2 shows routine and have 2 pretty full theatres. But I don't think you can ask at least the entertainment teams to do 3 or 4 shows a day instead. It is exhausting enough for them doing 2.

Im of the opinion that one night/show is enough with these shows.  Id rather see movies, novelty acts, comedy, cover bands...then the so called Broadway shows.  I know I'm in the minority but I would much rather watch a first run movie that can air all day in theater then the shows.  And honestly, I never see these shows crowded.  Its the comedy or ventriloquist or other novelty that always looks filled.  

Edited by jean87510
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

I would much rather watch a first run movie that can air all day in theater then the shows

I agree a first run movie might be expensive for the cruise line I am not sure? I notice you were on the NCL Pearl from Tampa to NYC. I was on the TA that left after you and it is really annoying they show the movie in the atrium and not in the theatre after the second show at night.

12 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

I agree a first run movie might be expensive for the cruise line I am not sure? I notice you were on the NCL Pearl from Tampa to NYC. I was on the TA that left after you and it is really annoying they show the movie in the atrium and not in the theatre after the second show at night.

Yes I was.  First and only time on Norwegian.  I really liked it. 

Food for thought.  Since movie theaters at least in the US may become obsolete with Netflix and HBO showing first run movies at home (many saints of Newark, Loki...etc), it may not be that expensive or difficult.  I was originally referring to movies that had been out for a bit.  Although one rainy afternoon on a TA, the regular theater was showing guardians of the galaxy 1 and the place was packed.  I didn't see anyone sleeping as I always do during the shows.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2020 at 1:49 PM, ace2542 said:

Then I suspect both you and I will never cruise again as masks will be required for ever and ever as they also prevents colds, flu, noro (can't touch your face if you are wearing a mask) and bronchitis caused by cold and flu though I think that comes later as well as Covid.

Of course masks don't work if 100% of Americans or 98% or whatever percent of americans above the age of 5 wearing mask would PREVENT this they would have been pretty quick to say so. They haven't. They have not said it PREVENTS. You can REDUCE but not PREVENT.

On 12/10/2020 at 1:53 PM, ace2542 said:

Thank you. Since most people won't be seriously effected by this there is no point to having the vaccine if you have the wear the mask for the rest of your life despite having it.  Isn't the point not to have to do it. You may as well just wear the mask and not bother with the vaccine.

But ships will do what they want. Question. At the start of all this what was this whole thing with RCL and NCL as well I think not allowing certain countries to cruise and being accused of being racist for it? Was that their decision or a government decision.

On 12/10/2020 at 1:57 PM, ace2542 said:

I don't think he knows but the answer is forever and a day because the CDC wants to destroy the industry. The problem the industry will have is it might be the only vaccination type which requires masks forever. Others won't and cruising will lose big time.

On 12/10/2020 at 1:59 PM, ace2542 said:

Tell me Chris do they expect the crew like you 6 or however many in a cabin to wear a mask in your sleep? Because you could easily infect the other 5. And will passengers be expected to wear them in their sleep?

There should be some sort of test one has to pass before they can post on CC

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/11/2020 at 4:36 PM, pcur said:

I can only relate our experiences:  we have semi or completely sheltered in place since March 2020, depending on the public health policies.  We have an air purifier now, and we wear masks when we are outside the house. 

I have had some congestion, but I think it's probably allergies, and the air purifier has helped that.  No flu, no serious colds, no nothing since March.  So, I agree that masking, social distancing, and avoiding places with lots of people has made a difference for us.

On 12/11/2020 at 5:00 PM, ace2542 said:

I have not been sick since March 17th  I have had nothing for 9 months, not a cough, not a soar throat, cold, flu or a chest infection. Nothing. And I have been out and about every day. Ok we are a bit rural. What I do is mask in the store and much thicker coat pulled over my nose and mouth when outside walking in public and mask off. And I did not get the flu jab this year or last year. So either Covid has killed all this stuff or masks have killed it off. But then again masks don't work if masks worked we would not have these death tolls. How do you explain masks, no flu and mass covid deaths then?

I have worked in a hospital/office setting nearly everyday since mid February. I have gone to dine in restaurants, have flown a dozen or so times, attended 2 World Series games, gone to a few Dallas Cowboy games, had 20 people to the house for Thanksgiving and I haven’t had as much as a sniffle

either. 

• Like 5