Why is Celebrity selling cruises that cannot sail as listed?

frankdp

X is still showing multiple cruises on their website on Connie out of Tampa that are 10 and 11 nights beginning in March.   I chatted with a very nice lady (using the chat feature) and she told me that these cruises were still scheduled to sail as listed.   We all know that at least, these cruises will be shortened to 7 nights as mandated and with all of the uncertainty surrounding the Constellation, these cruises will possibly not sail at all.

If they really intend to bring Connie to Tampa and begin sailing in March, why wouldn't they reset those cruises on the website to reflect the actual 7 day itinerary?  

I and others have commented on this practice over many threads over many weeks.  This unfair tactic preys on those who are unaware of the CDC edict, and happily pay deposits that are designed to help RCG cash flow, but will not end up paying for a cruise.  The deposits are simply an interest-free loan.  It's wrong IMHO.  There's also no guarantee Connie will even be around to sail even 7 day itineraries.

• Like 4

IMO they are keeping them up on the hope they actually can sail, however simply 'resetting' them to a 7 day itinerary in an environment where there is major uncertainty what ports will accept ships is quite a challenge. 

On the other hand, if someone is ignorant (or hopeful?) enough to actually book that cruise with the impression it sails at all, in March, with a 10 day intinerary, is quite delusional 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

IMO they are keeping them up on the hope they actually can sail, however simply 'resetting' them to a 7 day itinerary in an environment where there is major uncertainty what ports will accept ships is quite a challenge. 

On the other hand, if someone is ignorant (or hopeful?) enough to actually book that cruise with the impression it sails at all, in March, with a 10 day intinerary, is quite delusional 😀

That last sentence is a vivid reflection of the way the some of the people board have sunken into nastiness.   Just a reflection of society at large though.   Merry Christmas Jeremiah.  

• Like 1

Before the pandemic I booked a cruise on the Equinox for 12 days leaving FLL on April 11, 2021.  Since then I have spoken with celebrity agents at least three times about the 7 day restriction and each and every one of them has stated the ship will sail on April 11, 2021 for 12 days.  I commented that if they sail they will be violating the CDC order.  No response.  My only choice at this point is to just cancel the cruise altogether.

51 minutes ago, Husky61 said:

Before the pandemic I booked a cruise on the Equinox for 12 days leaving FLL on April 11, 2021.  Since then I have spoken with celebrity agents at least three times about the 7 day restriction and each and every one of them has stated the ship will sail on April 11, 2021 for 12 days.  I commented that if they sail they will be violating the CDC order.  No response.  My only choice at this point is to just cancel the cruise altogether.

We were booked on the same ship and cruise, but a month earlier. We L&S'd it to March 2022 in order to keep the original booking price and perks. That might be an alternative for you.

23 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Oh my, who took my meds??? LOL

bon voyage

1 hour ago, Husky61 said:

Yes, just cancel as you appear to have more concrete info than the agents.

There is no need to call three (3) times for the same info or did I miss something about the real reason to call?

If it sounded improbable to you, then take action on the knowledge you have and are sure about as opposed to wanting someone else to give you information that is deemed incorrect for whatever reason.

bon voyage

• Like 1

On 12/18/2020 at 9:10 AM, Bo1953 said:

There is no need to call three (3) times for the same info or did I miss something about the real reason to call?

If it sounded improbable to you, then take action on the knowledge you have and are sure about as opposed to wanting someone else to give you information that is deemed incorrect for whatever reason.

bon voyage

I called three times to see what different answers I might receive.  I do make my own decisions.

• Thanks 1

I’m not quite that cynical to believe celebrity is choosing to rip people off. I think they simply don’t know at this point if this sailings will be outright cancelled or shortened. Shortening/re-inventing the cruises for 7 days will take quite a bit of planning/logistics/negotiation. No reason to waste time/effort/money on that if all of March ends up being cancelled anyway. Throughout this whole process, it seems to be an industry standard to have their reps insist a cruise will be sailing until a decision is made. I would hope that no one new would be pondering booking a spring cruise at this point, but then again, back in June people were insisting that august would sail.

• Thanks 1

I believe that Celebrity, and the other cruise lines, are deliberately choosing to sell a product that they know will not be provided. 

It works very well as the consumers in the bell curve seem to willingly purchase what is put in front of them.

Say in spring 2021 - what will be the on board product? Will the food and service be downgraded due to cruise line debt (likely). Will the ship likely arrive at the advertised ports (maybe). Will you be required to take only the cruise line shore excursion (likely).

So everyone who is booking - this scenario is ok with you?  I have to assume so.

Cruise ships were the first face of this virus - the interviews of the guests isolated to their cabins were blazed across the world. This is what people remember about cruising. As a matter of routine, I ask business associates and people I meet would they take a cruise, and to the one, it is No. This includes people who have previously cruised.

The activity on the CC board is not reflective of the general population.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

I’m not quite that cynical to believe celebrity is choosing to rip people off. I think they simply don’t know at this point if this sailings will be outright cancelled or shortened. Shortening/re-inventing the cruises for 7 days will take quite a bit of planning/logistics/negotiation. No reason to waste time/effort/money on that if all of March ends up being cancelled anyway. Throughout this whole process, it seems to be an industry standard to have their reps insist a cruise will be sailing until a decision is made. I would hope that no one new would be pondering booking a spring cruise at this point, but then again, back in June people were insisting that august would sail.

I'd agree with you if it wasn't for the fact that, since March 2020, Celebrity has consistently done the same thing, allowing customers to book cruises that they knew full well would not sail, then waiting until after final payment to cancel. 

I have mixed feelings.  On the one hand, I do think Celebrity hangs onto cruises longer than some other lines even after they know they will not sail.  On the other hand, with millions of doses of vaccines coming out in the next couple of months, perhaps they are hoping against hope that those cruises will in fact be able to sail.  The CDC order included statements about shortening or extending the order as the situation dictated.  I personally really doubt that a March cruise over 7 nights will sail (and perhaps not a cruise of any length) but I also think the vaccines will be a game changer.  

I also don't think it is a given that these cruises will not be modified (and I wish people would state their opinions as just that - opinions - rather than facts!).  Celebrity made a very big deal about bringing a ship to Tampa.  I think it is very likely that they will in fact consider modifying at least some of the Tampa sailings so that they can begin using that port.

I originally booked  a TA on Apex for May 1st 2021early last year as I wanted a solo cabin.  I later transferred a FCC over to this cruise to pay for it.  It is out of Ft Lauderdale for 14 days.  I am waiting to see what happens with this cruise.  It is ending in Barcelona.  I am sure Celebrity is praying that the CDC will allow this cruise and waiting for a decision.  What a nightmare if this cannot sail.  The European summer sail schedule for Apex will be in jeopardy.  Hopefully, as I am over 70 with some lung issues, I will be able to receive the vaccine by March/April.  I have no intention of cancelling my reservation.  Every individual must make their own decisions on 2021 cruises.           

• Thanks 1

On 12/17/2020 at 9:41 AM, PTC DAWG said:

Serves some people right, they have been booking multiple cruises for years with ZERO ability to take all of them.  Just cancel at a whim...

As always with commerce, buyer beware.  

You certainly are cynical.  Most people have booked their dream vacation and only find out about the CDC rules after they book.  Cruise Critic has few posters compared to all that cruise.

As of today, not  a single cruise from the US is authorized to sail from or anyway within the US before November 1, 2021.  IMO it would be crazy to stop accepting bookings and refunding all deposits of any cruises between now and November 2021.  (This date might even be extended)  Sure the CDC has provided some kind of a  “guideline” that might lead to a cruise happening.  (From my reading of the document it is just bureaucratic BS). Basically at this point all cruises are forbidden until November 1.  Zero have been approved or authorized.  I doubt whether cruises in the US are even close to being approved.  

Changing a cruise that is longer than 7 days, just in case 7 day cruises are approved, would be a waste of time and resources.  Celebrity is not accepting any bookings for January and February, since they are 100% certain that they will not happen.

No one is being forced to book a cruise scheduled before November 1.  As far as I know anyone with a cruise booked between now and November 1 can cancel their cruise without penalty.  Most people can get cash refunds, but some may need to settle for FCC.

The uncertainty surrounding cruising is unsettling for sure.  Do some of you think that Celebrity should stop accepting bookings before November 1, and cancel all cruises before that date?  Drawing a line anyway else is just guessing.  I suspect Celebrity will keep accepting bookings and not cancelling cruises until they are 100% certain that a cruise will not be authorized.  It would be a disaster to put a cruise back into the schedule after cancelling.

Those of us that cannot deal with the uncertainty should stop booking and cancel all cruises.  Why don’t we?  Because we fear that if we wait to book after the uncertainty is removed, we will lose our relative good deals. ( The demand is driving prices significantly higher).  Others of us, are hoping Celebrity will cancel the cruise and gives us some bonus FCC for letting them keep our deposits.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I'd agree with you if it wasn't for the fact that, since March 2020, Celebrity has consistently done the same thing, allowing customers to book cruises that they knew full well would not sail, then waiting until after final payment to cancel. 

Exactly.  It's a cash flow vehicle, interest free.  

5 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I don’t think that back in March, anyone knew when cruising would restart. Did they probably know a month would be cancelled before accepting final payment - yeah. But I, and many posters never really believed when this started how long it would last. I don’t think the cruise lines did either. I think they have legitimately extended the closures a month at a time as the situation became more and more clear. 

• Thanks 1