How much are "free gratuities" worth?

new2cruise

21 hours ago, Laurab23 said:

How much is premium beverage package to purchase?

Laura

On it's own $70/pp/day, no sharing. As part of the best sale ever promo around $25/pp/day. The best sale promo works out to be $40/pp/day over the no frills fare. But, it includes the daily gratuity of around $15/pp/day plus wifi if you require it around $10/day for one package. The way we calculate two alcoholic drinks plus a few non alcoholic drinks per day is the break even. A fair value even for those that don't drink very much.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dog said:

In Canadian dollars for my 10 day Caribbean cruise the gratuities are $145.00 per person. BSE, deluxe balcony on the Enchanted Princess.

Check again. The value is US$145.00/pp for 10 days which is around CAN$18.50/pp/day. From the Princess FAQ's. The amounts shown are in US$.

"To simplify the tipping process for our guests, a discretionary gratuity of $16.50 per guest for suites, $15.50 per guest for mini-suites and $14.50 per guest "

On 12/20/2020 at 2:23 PM, new2cruise said:

We have the choice of not taking the "best sale ever" and since we're not big drinkers, we're trying to decide the actual value to us, since not taking it is cheaper.  Do the standard tips differ according to your cabin (larger cabin, larger tips?)  I know you calculate it by number of days and number of passengers.  We're looking at a mini suite for 2 people for 7 nights.  What would be the standard tip for that?

BSE is not a good deal for non drinkers.  You are better off paying gratuities and wifi ala carte.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

BSE is not a good deal for non drinkers.  You are better off paying gratuities and wifi ala carte.

Only if you plan to spend less than US$15/pp/day on beverages or if you have enough OBC to cover most of your beverage expense.

BSE = $40 less gratuities of around $15 = $25 less wifi* @ $10. Nets to $15/pp/day

* wifi is $10/device/day if purchased. You can purchase one wifi and share. If you have platinum minutes you can use them at no charge. 

Edited by skynight

Here's my take:  I'm spending thousands for a nice vacation. I'm not going to worry if i can have that frappacino or that glass of wine with dinner or that nightcap. The $50 or so isn't that big of a deal.  Also, not having to worry about the daily charges and internet, to me it's worth it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cornteen said:

Here's my take:  I'm spending thousands for a nice vacation. I'm not going to worry if i can have that frappacino or that glass of wine with dinner or that nightcap. The $50 or so isn't that big of a deal.  Also, not having to worry about the daily charges and internet, to me it's worth it. 

^ this.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, skynight said:

Check again. The value is US$145.00/pp for 10 days which is around CAN$18.50/pp/day. From the Princess FAQ's. The amounts shown are in US$.

"To simplify the tipping process for our guests, a discretionary gratuity of $16.50 per guest for suites, $15.50 per guest for mini-suites and $14.50 per guest "

These numbers are directly from my travel summary which is in Canadian dollars. 

so confusing 

28 minutes ago, dog said:

so confusing 

my travel summary says. All charges are in CAD dollars. & all credits are in US dollars. 

4 hours ago, dog said:

so confusing 

The actual amount charged for the hotel service gratuity for a balcony cat. cabin or less is US$14.50/pp/day. That is the real cost when your promo does not include gratuities. Not sure why your travel summary indicates the value as CAN$, but that isn't correct. What it may be indicating is that you would be charged the converted amount in CAN$. Are you looking at the Princess travel summary in the cruise personlizer? 

27 minutes ago, skynight said:

The actual amount charged for the hotel service gratuity for a balcony cat. cabin or less is US$14.50/pp/day. That is the real cost when your promo does not include gratuities. Not sure why your travel summary indicates the value as CAN$, but that isn't correct. What it may be indicating is that you would be charged the converted amount in CAN$. Are you looking at the Princess travel summary in the cruise personlizer? 

Yes, the travel summary in my personalizer has all charges are in CAD $, all credits OBC are in US $. 
the gratuities work out to $14.50 pp per day and the specialty dinner is $39 pp. So some perks in BSE are showing in US$, while others are showing in CAD. 

18 hours ago, Cornteen said:

The $40/day change can add up. For two people for a 7 day cruise, that is $560. Some people might find $560 that big of a deal.

I have a 24 day cruise booked. That would cost us $1920. I definitely consider that a big deal.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, caribill said:

The $40/day change can add up

$ 25 pp pd is more realistic unless you plan to have the grats removed once on board

and at that price is without assigning any "value" to unlimited wifi

• Like 1