How much are "free gratuities" worth?

new2cruise

2 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

Some to Princess under the guise of administrative costs. Crew is paid based on length of service and reviews and seniority amoung other considerations, NOT based on what you were charges via the auto gratuity. 

So what is the better way to tip if you want it to go to your room steward, server, etc.?

17 minutes ago, new2cruise said:

So what is the better way to tip if you want it to go to your room steward, server, etc.?

If you want money to go to your cabin steward, waiters, leave the auto gratuity in place and provide them with additional cash at the end of the cruise. If you remove the auto gratuity then any cash provided directly to them has to be turned in and it becomes part of the pool.

For bar tenders and bar waiters you can provide them cash tips at any time. They share in the 18% gratuity added to every beverage purchase. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Iluvmykindle said:

Does the specialty drink package include the fresh brewed coffee at the International Cafe?

Of course. Also espresso. Or get a Black Eye (or Red Eye) - fresh brewed coffee with a shot (or two!) of espresso added.

I sometimes like to get a Vanilla Latte and then step "next door" to the bar and have them add a shot of Jameson. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh......... Breakfast!

Note: Make the Vanilla Latte a "regular" rather than a large. If you get a large the single shot of Jameson gets "lost" in there. With a regular size it's just right.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, caribill said:

Yes, signing on and off is a bit of extra effort. On cruises where we have had unlimited internet it was quite nice to skip the sign on/off effort.

However, there is no need for the two of us to each have an Internet package. Although there is the sign on effort to switch users, it is quick to do. (And signing one on automatically signs the other off, so no sign off effort is needed.) So for us, if we do get unlimited, purchasing it for one of us is sufficient.

What bothers me about the way Princess has done it is that they have promoted the Platinum/Elite Internet benefit as a great benefit and in the past many said it was the best perk of loyalty status. But the Princess+ package basically eliminates that benefit. The small discount (about $1.07 a day less for a seven day cruise) Princess now gives Platinum/Elite passengers without Princess+ who separately purchase an unlimited Internet package is worth far less than what Princess used to charge for those who had to purchase minutes.

I thought it was a pretty "weenie" perk anyway. The service was always horrible and one had to log on and off and sometimes it said you were logged off but you weren't. It was pretty pathetic. I wouldn't "buy" the Internet package but will happily make use of it with Princess Plus (or the Best Sale Ever).  I find always on Internet useful. I read a lot and mostly e-books. I often find literary references, cultural references, references to items I've never hear of, etc. When I come across those I've become accustomed to simply highlighting the reference and then selecting to "search the web". If one reads a lot it's amazing how much one can learn from those simple interactions that, obviously, aren't available with printed books or with e-books when one has no Internet connection. This is only one small example of the usefulness of the always-on connection. However, I am not one who gets lost in the phone endlessly perusing Facebook, Twitter, etc. The only thing I do that is even vaguely "social media" is these forums. If you see me staring at my phone or tablet it's almost certain that I'm reading a book.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1

I'm not whining, but I wonder if Princess will ever have a lower cost for platinum etc members for this package.  I can understand how the drink package can be the flywheel, but since Platinum and up get some internet minutes, it reduces the value of the package.  And with improving internet across the fleet, I wonder if purchased internet minute options are dropped altogether and some other perk is substituted for Platinum and Elite.

Edited by Redwing55

3 hours ago, Redwing55 said:

And with improving internet across the fleet, I wonder if purchased internet minute options are dropped altogether and some other perk is substituted for Platinum and Elite.

Purchased Internet minutes are a thing of the past on Princess. The only minutes packages available anymore is what is given for the Platinum/Elite perk.

Both ships with and without the new high speed Internet only sell unlimited time packages now.

15 hours ago, skynight said:

If you want money to go to your cabin steward, waiters, leave the auto gratuity in place and provide them with additional cash at the end of the cruise. If you remove the auto gratuity then any cash provided directly to them has to be turned in and it becomes part of the pool.

For bar tenders and bar waiters you can provide them cash tips at any time. . 

It all goes into the pool even if you leave the auto gratuity intact. Per the contract

E. DISCRETIONARY HOTEL & DINING CHARGE POOL Other than as specified in these Terms or the Acceptance of Employment Terms and Conditions, the Company makes no promise, guarantee or commitment, and crew member agrees he/she does not expect or anticipate payment by the Company of any compensation beyond the Minimum Wage Guarantee. It has been the Company’s experience that passengers often wish to recognize and reward shipboard staff for working successfully and as a cohesive team to make the cruise experience enjoyable. Accordingly, during each voyage of each vessel a voluntary contribution by each passenger will be suggested for that purpose. Passengers are not obligated to make a contribution or to adhere to the Company’s suggested guidelines for such a contribution. Nonetheless, to the extent passengers follow the suggested contribution guidelines in whole or in part, or deliver their contribution to the Company or directly to any crew member(s), each and every crew member agrees that any such contribution is not his personal wage, but rather a contribution to the Discretionary Hotel and Dining Charge Pool (the “Pool”). Each and every crew member also agrees to deliver any such voluntary passenger contribution he or she receives from any passenger under any circumstances to the Pool immediately upon receipt of the contribution from the passenger. Other than as stated below, the Company is in no way liable to make up any difference between the total of the suggested contributions to the Pool and the actual contributions for any given vessel voyage. The solicitation of compensation of any kind by crew members from passengers is strictly prohibited.

On 12/23/2020 at 10:03 AM, cruzsnooze said:

It all goes into the pool even if you leave the auto gratuity intact. Per the contract

E. DISCRETIONARY HOTEL & DINING CHARGE POOL Other than as specified in these Terms or the Acceptance of Employment Terms and Conditions, the Company makes no promise, guarantee or commitment, and crew member agrees he/she does not expect or anticipate payment by the Company of any compensation beyond the Minimum Wage Guarantee. It has been the Company’s experience that passengers often wish to recognize and reward shipboard staff for working successfully and as a cohesive team to make the cruise experience enjoyable. Accordingly, during each voyage of each vessel a voluntary contribution by each passenger will be suggested for that purpose. Passengers are not obligated to make a contribution or to adhere to the Company’s suggested guidelines for such a contribution. Nonetheless, to the extent passengers follow the suggested contribution guidelines in whole or in part, or deliver their contribution to the Company or directly to any crew member(s), each and every crew member agrees that any such contribution is not his personal wage, but rather a contribution to the Discretionary Hotel and Dining Charge Pool (the “Pool”). Each and every crew member also agrees to deliver any such voluntary passenger contribution he or she receives from any passenger under any circumstances to the Pool immediately upon receipt of the contribution from the passenger. Other than as stated below, the Company is in no way liable to make up any difference between the total of the suggested contributions to the Pool and the actual contributions for any given vessel voyage. The solicitation of compensation of any kind by crew members from passengers is strictly prohibited.

It has been my understanding that when the passenger(s) provides a cash gratuity to a crew member he/she is required to surrender the cash to the pool. When it is determined that the same passenger(s) also paid the full recommended contribution to the pool, the auto-tip, the cash gratuity is returned to the crew member. If the passenger(s) removes the auto-tip in full or in part then the cash provided remains in the pool. Crew members that receive additional cash may be required to share with other crew that assist them. Believe my understanding is consistent with the contract wording above. 

It clearly states all monies go into the pool. No mention is made about exclusions. People are wishing their tips go to the crew member they give it to but that's not the case. Princess does not wish to clarify how their tips are distributed and to whom and it's calculated exactly. 

24 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

It clearly states all monies go into the pool. No mention is made about exclusions. People are wishing their tips go to the crew member they give it to but that's not the case. Princess does not wish to clarify how their tips are distributed and to whom and it's calculated exactly. 

I don't read it that way. I read  the "whole or in part" words as meaning whole or in part of the suggested contribution, or the auto-tip. I don't see wording that refers to amounts in excess of the whole. Maybe I'm missing it. Our understanding is that amounts in excess are returned and retained by the crew member(s). I know this topic has been discussed at length on these boards. Does anyone have any other information? 

Edited by skynight

40 minutes ago, skynight said:

Our understanding is that amounts in excess are returned and retained by the crew member(s). I know this topic has been discussed at length on these boards. Does anyone have any other information? 

Years ago when we first started cruising on Princess and wanted to give an additional gratuity we were told by both our waiters and our steward to put our name and cabin number on an envelop (easy to pick up at customer service) and insert the tip.  Five years later we were traveling with others and forgot to tell them the signature routine but they were asked by their waiters to do the same.  More recently one of our traveling party handed over the tip in an envelop but forgot to put their name and cabin number on it.  The waiter politely asked they do so that he would get the tip after confirming that the auto gratuities were paid. 

All this is anecdotal of course but it has been our experience on three different ships with three different sets of waiters and stewards.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skynight said:

It has been my understanding that when the passenger(s) provides a cash gratuity to a crew member he/she is required to surrender the cash to the pool. When it is determined that the same passenger(s) also paid the full recommended contribution to the pool, the auto-tip, the cash gratuity is returned to the crew member. If the passenger(s) removes the auto-tip in full or in part then the cash provided remains in the pool. Crew members that receive additional cash may be required to share with other crew that assist them. Believe my understanding is consistent with the contract wording above. 

That does seem to be the understanding of what occurs. All monies go into the pool as stated in the contract. And then it is determined if the tips are above and beyond the auto gratuity. If so, they are returned to the waiter or steward. If the case is that the person removed the auto gratuity, then they go into the general pool.

On 12/23/2020 at 10:03 AM, cruzsnooze said:

Thanks for posting this. Appreciate it. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, pms4104 said:

Princess could eliminate a lot of confusion and angst by rebranding this fee as a mandatory and nonremovable Hotel Service Charge.

Other than potential legal and tax issues with your plan, the confusion and angst is only among the passengers. The staff are plenty happy with the system that exists. 

(BTW, I’m for a one price cruise pricing structure. $X for this cruise - I don’t care how they use the money.) - of course, bringing up a bunch of legal and tax issues. 😀

5 hours ago, pms4104 said:

Princess could eliminate a lot of confusion and angst by rebranding this fee as a mandatory and nonremovable Hotel Service Charge.

Many of the crew come from countries that tax salaries but not tips. If it is mandatory, it becomes salary and the crew members may have to pay higher taxes because of it.

5 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

(BTW, I’m for a one price cruise pricing structure. $X for this cruise - I don’t care how they use the money.) - of course, bringing up a bunch of legal and tax issues. 😀

Princess one tried to do this having all taxes and fees (which do not include the tips) together and promoted this as "what you see is what you pay."

This only lasted a few months as the competing cruise lines did not do the same and thus Princess pricing appeared to be higher than the competition and I suspect bookings suffered.

10 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

Other than potential legal and tax issues with your plan, the confusion and angst is only among the passengers. The staff are plenty happy with the system that exists. 

Also, generally private travel insurance takes into account the money paid. Adding the tips into the cruise fare may in some case push one into the next higher bracket.

But, I agree the tax issues for the crew is a more important consideration.

E. DISCRETIONARY HOTEL & DINING CHARGE POOL

Other than as specified in these Terms or the Acceptance of Employment Terms and

Conditions, the Company makes no promise, guarantee or commitment, and crew

member agrees he/she does not expect or anticipate payment by the Company of any

compensation beyond the Minimum Wage Guarantee.

It has been the Company’s experience that passengers often wish to recognize and

reward shipboard staff for working successfully and as a cohesive team to make the cruise

experience enjoyable. Accordingly, during each voyage of each vessel a voluntary

contribution by each passenger will be suggested for that purpose. Passengers are not

obligated to make a contribution or to adhere to the Company’s suggested guidelines for

such a contribution. Nonetheless, to the extent passengers follow the suggested

contribution guidelines in whole or in part, or deliver their contribution to the Company or

directly to any crew member(s), each and every crew member agrees that any such

contribution is not his personal wage, but rather a contribution to the Discretionary Hotel

and Dining Charge Pool (the “Pool”). Each and every crew member also agrees to deliver

any such voluntary passenger contribution he or she receives from any passenger under

any circumstances to the Pool immediately upon receipt of the contribution from the

passenger. Other than as stated below, the Company is in no way liable to make up any

difference between the total of the suggested contributions to the Pool and the actual

contributions for any given vessel voyage. The solicitation of compensation of any kind by

crew members from passengers is strictly prohibited.

A separate Pool of passenger contributions will be collected and maintained by the

Company for each voyage of each vessel for the benefit of crew members eligible to

receive distributions from the Pool, i.e. those working on the vessel voyage associated with

a particular Pool in positions so specified in each crew member’s Acceptance of

Employment Terms & Conditions. Employees who might be eligible to participate in the

Pool include all persons working in any capacity in the Hotel and Food and Beverage

5 PCL 11/07

Departments. Each crew member agrees that the Company reserves and has the

exclusive right to determine, in its sole discretion, the eligibility and number of total crew

members entitled to share in the Pool and the proportionate share applicable to each

position.

Since passenger participation in the Pool for any given vessel voyage is strictly voluntary,

the Company cannot predict and does not guarantee the size of the Pool or the amount of

money any eligible crew member may receive from the Pool for that given voyage. Some

crew members do not receive a fluctuating share of the vessel voyage Pool, although

these crew members do receive a minimum wage guarantee. All crewmembers

understand and agree that such crew members who are not eligible to receive a fluctuating

share of the vessel voyage Pool will nonetheless receive some of their guaranteed monthly

compensation from that Pool on a fixed basis, before the fluctuating share of eligible crew

members is calculated from the remaining balance of the Pool. Each crew member

understands and agrees that the amount which will be distributed to crew members

participating in the Pool on a fixed basis is within the sole discretion of the Company, and

may change from time to time. Each crew member understands and agrees that the funds

in the Pool allocated on a fixed basis to crew members not eligible to participate in the Pool

on a fluctuating basis are not and shall not be deemed wages of the remaining

crewmembers in the Pool under any circumstances.

A crew member who otherwise may be eligible to participate on a fluctuating basis in a

given Pool will not be entitled to Pool participation in the event that the crew member

departs the vessel before the end of the voyage which creates the Pool, either for personal

convenience or because the crew member is in violation of the terms of the Contract of

Employment.

Nowhere can I see where it says anything about giving any monies to crew even if the auto gratuity is paid. There could be some unwriiten policy but we'll never know. Within the tip pool are staff we didn't think were there such as the entertainment and folks we never come in contact with. I was told by a friend who works at corp. that tips don't stay on the ship they were collected but pooled amongst the entire fleet before distribution.  I saw that in their contract  stated as "fleet wide" collection.

Edited by cruzsnooze
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/22/2020 at 3:11 PM, new2cruise said:

When the pool grows everyone gets a bigger portion so just add it to your folio charges or give it directly to your room steward.  There is not enough clarity from Princess on how to tip directly and where it goes so just do what you feel comfortable with. I personally don't like the system because I am not tipping those I want to tip and those I don't care to tip (like the entertainment staff).