Grand Princess?

39august

Grand Princess (Grand Class) - Dry dock 2019 (Portland, Oregon)

• Reupholster lounge chairs in Explorer's, Crooner's, Wheelhouse, Crown Grill, Library, and Snookers. 
  • New information screens throughout elevator lobbies
  • New bathtubs in staterooms
  • New sofas for Explorer's and Crooner's 
  • Replace Mini-suite sleeper sofas 
  • Replace astro turf deck covering on upper decks 
  • Replace Horizon Court carpeting and tiles 
  • Replace Wheelhouse Dance floor 
  • Refurbish elevator interiors
  • Repair/Refinish beverage station cabinets in Horizon Court 
  • New carpeting in the dining rooms and Crooner's. 
  • New carpeting in hallways
  • Refurbish swimming pools
  • General maintenance and upkeep
  • Painted hull of ship
  • New propellers
  • New hot tub tiling around both Calypso and Neptune pools
  • Ocean Medallion wiring install (not active until subsequent dry-dock in 2021/2022)

SHIP SYSTEMS: Inspection and repair of propellers, exchangers, propulsion as well as hot and cold water lines.   

Hope this helps.     John

• Like 4

1 hour ago, John99 said:

Grand Princess (Grand Class) - Dry dock 2019 (Portland, Oregon)

• Reupholster lounge chairs in Explorer's, Crooner's, Wheelhouse, Crown Grill, Library, and Snookers. 
  • New information screens throughout elevator lobbies
  • New bathtubs in staterooms
  • New sofas for Explorer's and Crooner's 
  • Replace Mini-suite sleeper sofas 
  • Replace astro turf deck covering on upper decks 
  • Replace Horizon Court carpeting and tiles 
  • Replace Wheelhouse Dance floor 
  • Refurbish elevator interiors
  • Repair/Refinish beverage station cabinets in Horizon Court 
  • New carpeting in the dining rooms and Crooner's. 
  • New carpeting in hallways
  • Refurbish swimming pools
  • General maintenance and upkeep
  • Painted hull of ship
  • New propellers
  • New hot tub tiling around both Calypso and Neptune pools
  • Ocean Medallion wiring install (not active until subsequent dry-dock in 2021/2022)

SHIP SYSTEMS: Inspection and repair of propellers, exchangers, propulsion as well as hot and cold water lines.   

Hope this helps.     John

I sailed on the Grand Princess late September 2019 and she was in great shape.

2 hours ago, 39august said:

When was Grand most recently refurbished, please? Any changes made? Was on her twice in early 2000's, but not for many years. Is the MDR still a one story, low-ceilinged venue?

@John99 listed a great overview of the changes made in the most recent dry dock. Re: your question of the dingy MDR--yes. That will most likely never change. Most of the ship should also still be very familiar to you, except for maybe slightly more modern upholstery in places with heavy traffic. And of course, most notable of all, the Medallion!

Edited by snoozecrooze

We sailed on her back in October 2019 and while we had an awesome cruise, there were some maintenance and structural issues with the ship itself.  The staff / crew, on the other hand, were outstanding!!  The food was really good as well.  I know all those things can and probably will change when cruising resumes ... maybe for the better, though??  Who knows?  I think the ship itself is just too old for any major upgrades or even face lifts.  

I'll add that I was on Grand two sailings prior to the dry dock and the second sailing after, the changes were startling.  Particularly the pool / hot tub areas which were in very poor repair just prior but looked like new after.  I'll add that bedside lamps got USB connections around the same time period (though I'm not sure this happened during the actual dry dock).

We also were on last February for the cruise to Travis, by this time OM was not officially in place, but all of the pieces were there.  You could order drinks using the App, access to staterooms was via proximity card key, more or less everything except the medallions themselves.  

Fortunately, the upgrades to the in room information system were also in place which made it somewhat easier to pass the time in quarantine - by the time they took us off in Oakland the movies list was probably 200+ with a similar number of TV alternatives.  The list seemed endless, but then again, so did the days spent in cabin. . . It's doubtful that such a rich variety of video programming will ever be "normal" but it was impressive to see what the system is capable of.  Complimentary wifi was given, and doubtlessly, used by all during the 6 day quarantine period.  Routine communication such as email was more or less useable at all times.  More bandwidth heavy alternatives such as Skype were generally only reliable very early in the morning or very late in the evening - the system undoubtedly wasn't designed to support the entire ship attempting to use it concurrently - had these connectivity upgrades not been available the bad situation would have been worse in incalculable ways. 

Lest you think we're scared away from Grand, not so, she remains our favorite Princess ship.  So much so that our next two cruises, early in '22, are both booked on her.

• Like 1

Dining rooms spaces do not change. They are part of the structure of the ship. There are still three DR's.  Since you sailed on her there were major changes made during an extensive 2011 dry dock. Skywalker's was removed and replaced by The One5 Lounge and Nightclub on deck 15 aft. The Atrium(Piazza) was redesigned. Open stairs were relocated to allow for additional space on deck 5. Alfredo's and the International Cafe were added. Leaves Tea Lounge and Library was added on deck 7 across from the Crown Grill. Also since early 2000's window Suites were added to deck 6. Like all Princess ships the Grand now has The Sanctuary on deck 16 and Movies Under the Stars. Sabatini's menu was changed more recently and is now Sabatini's Trattoria. Balcony cat. cabins and below now have only one desk chair. No more barrel chair.

I cruised on the Grand when it was new in l998,  last cruised on the Grand in Feb 2020; have been on this ship 10 time over past -10+   years ever since home ported in San Francisco.  Still a great ship, has had some structural problems over the years, but well maintained and like others have said the service and crew on it were outstanding.  No sure where you are taking the Grand from, now no longer going out of San Francisco.  I recommend all the Grand class ships, I prefer of Royal class, which are larger and newer. my current favorite is the Ruby. 

3 hours ago, jondfk said:

I'll add that I was on Grand two sailings prior to the dry dock and the second sailing after, the changes were startling.  Particularly the pool / hot tub areas which were in very poor repair just prior but looked like new after.  I'll add that bedside lamps got USB connections around the same time period (though I'm not sure this happened during the actual dry dock).

The pools and hot tubs were taken down to the supporting steel and rebuilt.

The lamps with USB connections were added while in dry dock.

There is a video of the 2019 dry dock

I was on this ship Dec 2019.  Still nice and in good shape.  Steve, from the Drydock 2019 video above, was our entertainment director.

They did not have the MedallionClass system going yet, but had begun outfitting the LCDs in the stateroom areas with the readers.  I would imagine that all of the work has been completed by now with the emphasis on "No contact" everything in post-COVID world.

All 3 dining rooms were one-story.

The interesting thing is that Grand Princess layout forms the backbone of almost every Princess ship since.  The public deck layouts and multiple dining rooms are mostly carried out on the bigger ships built later.  They just added more passenger decks with each successive “class”.  Even the cabin layouts are mostly similar (except for “deluxe balcony” which doesn’t exist on her.  She’s had some of the newer ship’s features I.e. Alfredo’s Pizziaria, and her lido deck also got the fancy burgers and ice cream that later ships have developed.  The 2019 dry dock was a major one, not just cosmetic painting and carpet repair.  We hope to be on her on her transition from Alaska to Los Angeles next September.  Hope, hope, hope!

Norm

Cruised on the Grand, January 22-25, 2020 for a brief jaunt down to Esenada out of SF.

Ship was, overall, in very good shape.  Cabins still look a little dated, decor-wise, but were in excellent condition.  Food and service overall were very good.  Comparing Princess' baseline food (coming from much more experience with RCI): pleasantly surprised.  MDR Club Class dining was really nice.  Specialty restaurants were great.

Minor gripe: traversing the ship between fore and aft, you're going to do some up-and-down.  Newer ships on most lines allow you to do this from upper decks in a straight shot.  I don't mind, but this leads to my one genuine gripe:

Elevator maintenance (availability) and knowing that you need to hit two different call buttons on banks either side of an elevator landing was a little annoying.  Many elevators out of service throughout my cruise.  Not a big deal for me, stairs are fine, but if you're mobility-challenged it could be a pain.  Saw many people give up trying to catch one.

Ship had it's o3B "Medallion" wireless internet access upgrade in December right before I sailed.  Not the full Medallion roll-out (no wrist bands for authenticating -- fixtures were installed throughout the ship, just not active yet), but o3B speed and coverage throughout the ship was outstanding.  On par with o3B service I've experienced on other lines.  If anything, the antenna coverage throughout the ship is the best I've experienced to date.

Would I sail her from my home port, SF again?  Absolutely.  It's a 15 minute Uber ride from my doorstep to the port.  Would I fly somewhere to sail her?  Na.  Home port advantage sells it for me.

Edited by mk-ultra

6 hours ago, mk-ultra said:

knowing that you need to hit two different call buttons on banks either side of an elevator landing was a little annoying.

More than a little annoying to me. Of course you get on the first one to arrive, but an elevator on the other side will stop there and nobody is waiting to get in. That 2nd elevator could end up making more than one unnecessary stop wasting the time of everyone on it.

On 12/28/2020 at 7:29 PM, pris993 said:

I cruised on the Grand when it was new in l998,  last cruised on the Grand in Feb 2020; have been on this ship 10 time over past -10+   years ever since home ported in San Francisco.  Still a great ship, has had some structural problems over the years, but well maintained and like others have said the service and crew on it were outstanding.  No sure where you are taking the Grand from, now no longer going out of San Francisco.  I recommend all the Grand class ships, I prefer of Royal class, which are larger and newer. my current favorite is the Ruby. 

We enjoyed the Ruby as well a few times Red Hot Ruby out there hello.

We are booked on the Grand in April 2022 looking forward to this ship.

My personal new favorite would have to be the Regal a little big for my taste as a rule but loved both trips on this ship.

19 hours ago, mk-ultra said:

Minor gripe: traversing the ship between fore and aft, you're going to do some up-and-down.  Newer ships on most lines allow you to do this from upper decks in a straight shot. 

I never found that problem.  Where on the ship was your stateroom?

19 hours ago, mk-ultra said:

.....and knowing that you need to hit two different call buttons on banks either side of an elevator landing was a little annoying. 

I actually prefer the two different call buttons for the different banks of elevators. It removes a single point of failure by having different sets of controls for the two banks of elevators.

5 hours ago, jennybenny said:

Best thing about about the Grand is the crew! Crew really does make a difference on how things run on a ship. 

When cruising resumes, nobody knows yet how experienced the crew will be on any Princess ship.

We were on the Grand right before the refurb and then again a couple months after.  The changes made for a much more comfortable experience.  The rooms and look of the ship was very much improved.  We loved the changes to the quick service restaurants by the pool.  I really wish they had changed the furniture in the Explorer's lounge.  That was still terrible when we were on it after the renovations.  I love the Grand and would happily sail on that ship anytime.  Now that Ruby is moving to San Francisco, I'll finally be able to compare ships in the Princess line.

4 hours ago, atobols said:

Now that Ruby is moving to San Francisco, I'll finally be able to compare ships in the Princess line.

They are similar and you will feel that you know the ship. Ruby has: extra passenger deck with 500 additional passengers, no indoor pool both Lido deck pools are outdoor, you should enjoy the larger closets 2x the size, Skywalker's in place of One5, Adagio Lounge a nice quiet lounge, Club Fusion in place of Vista lounge, SHARE in stead of Sabatini's, no Alfredo's, no Leaves, no window suites. These are the some of the basic differences. 

• Like 1