Overlooked Areas On Princess Ships?

Jadn13

We used to enjoy Adagio and Skywalkers during the day as a quiet spot for reading but our last couple of cruises were different.  Skywalkers seemed to be a gathering place for groups of all kinds - crafters, book clubs, etc and Adagio was used for trivia games during the day and groups used it during cocktail hours for their gatherings.  We still managed to find places to enjoy but our go-to places did not always work for us.  Please don’t think I have anything against groups gathering!  Everyone pays their fare and is entitled to utilize the spaces.  Just don’t want anyone to depend on any particular area always being quiet or near empty.

Edited by MustangGT
  • Like 1

I have been asking questions about Ocean Medallion's ordering service for any place on the ship.  We were specifically asking, because we like to find out of the way spots that are not part of a venue.  With the Ocean Medallion, we can find that "weird out of the way place" and order drinks and food.

Now, we just need to find those places with outlets so we can watch the ocean and play on the laptops.  😀

16 hours ago, leck57 said:

This is a great spot and we also often used to take our breakfast out there.

The other forgotten spot on the Royal are the two open deck areas about mid ship on either side of deck 7. The doors out to these decks are near Crooners, port side, and the shops, starboard. The areas have a few loungers and are rarely found. They are great for any scenic days when you want a lower level view.

But aren't those little side decks completely open to the sun, etc.?  Never seemed very attractive IMHO.

3 minutes ago, BarbinMich said:

But aren't those little side decks completely open to the sun, etc.?  Never seemed very attractive IMHO.

When the Promenade is not busy there are chairs there.  Many ships (we have not been on Princess in years) have seating inside in odd areas that are near venues.  People don't stay in those spots too long because they eventually want a drink or snack.  The two most exciting things we are looking forward to are food and the order anywhere service.  Especially for drinks.  We do not have to hang out in a bar.

17 hours ago, leck57 said:

This is a great spot and we also often used to take our breakfast out there.

The other forgotten spot on the Royal are the two open deck areas about mid ship on either side of deck 7. The doors out to these decks are near Crooners, port side, and the shops, starboard. The areas have a few loungers and are rarely found. They are great for any scenic days when you want a lower level view.

On the Royal these patios have cushioned lounge chairs. On the Sky, the OP's ship, these areas are Al Fresco Dining areas for La Mer and Alfredo's. Expect there are tables and chairs there.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2021 at 6:38 AM, snoozecrooze said:

So my biggest tip for you is to walk all over the ship and explore on your first day! It's one of my favorite things to do and allows you to discover all of the nooks and crannies at the beginning so you have a roadmap for yourself to plan out times in your schedule where you might want to lounge at off-hours.

Best idea...  yet... also good for general orientation

( like using cabin corridors to fore and aft when the promenade is crowded )   

Which areas of the ship do you think are often overlooked or missed by passengers? 

Back Corner of the walk in Robe.....lol

19 hours ago, dides said:

Never seen any staff in the Wake View Bar but they did go to the trouble of lighting it up during our cruise in October 2018

wakev.thumb.jpg.d932d3617f0414607108f45fe310cfaf.jpg

Was on Sapphire Princess a few years back and love the wake view bar but unfortunately it was never used for anything. I don’t know why they haven’t made this area a more go to place as it is very nice. 

2 hours ago, nimiq said:

Was on Sapphire Princess a few years back and love the wake view bar but unfortunately it was never used for anything. I don’t know why they haven’t made this area a more go to place as it is very nice. 

In 2008 it was a smoking area. The smoke could be detected in Club Fusion. Not a good thing.  Back when Alfredo's was added during dry dock there was an initial plan to remove this lounge and expand the International DR into the space. Never happened. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, skynight said:

In 2008 it was a smoking area. The smoke could be detected in Club Fusion. Not a good thing.  Back when Alfredo's was added during dry dock there was an initial plan to remove this lounge and expand the International DR into the space. Never happened. 

Terrific historical perspective. Thanks for sharing. 

15 minutes ago, trbarton said:

Anyone know what ships have a “Wake View Bar”?  Can you get a drink there?

Thanks!

Tom😀

Only the Diamond and Sapphire. Not really used for much. Never seen the bar stocked or open. The only view of the wake is through small windows that you have to stand up to see through.

5 hours ago, skynight said:

For those that save them the proposed deck plan was shown in the 2012-2013 Cruise Atlas

3 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

Only the Diamond and Sapphire. Not really used for much. Never seen the bar stocked or open. The only view of the wake is through small windows that you have to stand up to see through.

Thank you very much. That’s why I’ve never heard it discussed before. Kind of a wasted space especially if there’s no bar opened. 

Tom😀

8 minutes ago, trbarton said:

Thank you very much. That’s why I’ve never heard it discussed before. Kind of a wasted space especially if there’s no bar opened. 

Tom😀

Unfortunately no drinks there even though they do have the bar facilities.

If I recall or read somewhere originally I think those port hole were meant to be underwater view.

Sea Ya

Eric

3 hours ago, gotta cruise again said:

The Wake View Bar on those 2 ships would be an excellent place to try out the Medallion and have a drink or something delivered to you there!!

Kinda like hide & go seek!! LOL

Excellent idea! We're booked on Sapphire for a 26 day B2B2B in January of 2022. I've wanted to check out that area and being able to get a drink delivered to the venue sounds great. Perhaps a secluded place to read and have a drink. That assumes, of course, that the cruise actually happens and we are on it and the venue hasn't been blocked off.

4 hours ago, Thrak said:

Excellent idea! We're booked on Sapphire for a 26 day B2B2B in January of 2022. I've wanted to check out that area and being able to get a drink delivered to the venue sounds great. Perhaps a secluded place to read and have a drink. That assumes, of course, that the cruise actually happens and we are on it and the venue hasn't been blocked off.

I may be wrong but about 4 years ago we were on the Sapphire and I thought the Wake View bar had a bar. If it is open then staff would be there, so getting a drink delivered would be 15 metres distance max. Even Club Fusion which was directly above the Wake View bar was rarely used during the day.

On 1/3/2021 at 4:19 PM, Barry ATL said:

When the Promenade is not busy there are chairs there.  Many ships (we have not been on Princess in years) have seating inside in odd areas that are near venues.  People don't stay in those spots too long because they eventually want a drink or snack.  The two most exciting things we are looking forward to are food and the order anywhere service.  Especially for drinks.  We do not have to hang out in a bar.

you will be able to sit outside the bars by the big picture windows;  you can order a drink while you look out the window or work on your laptop.  No longer do you have to sit in a bar to have a drink.