The Daily for Wednesday Jan 13, 2021

richwmn

today is International Skeptics Day, Make Your Dream Come True Day, and National Rubber Duckie Day

Do not try to solve all life's problems at once -- learn to dread each day as it comes.
        -- Donald Kaul

Meal suggestion for today - Pork Chops 'n' Pierogi

Drink of the Day - Dry Martini

Wine of the day - Joel Gott Sauvignon Blanc California vintage 2017

at Sea Pacific
Koningsdam off San Diego
Nieuw Amsterdam off San Diego
Noordam off San Diego
Westerdam off San Diego
Zuiderdam off San Diego

Port Everglades
Nieuw Statendam

Torquay
Eurodam
Oosterdam
Volendam
Zaandam

0113World.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for the Hump Day Daily, Rich.  Skeptics seem to abound in these times.  Many people are trying to make their dreams come true by booking cruises.  I'll pass on the rubber duckie.  Quote seems to be particularly appropriate in these trying times.  Pork Chops and Pierogi sounds nice.  My alternative is Pineapple, Bannana, and Guava Compote with Oven Roasted Chicken, and Blueberry Sundae as served on MS Prinsendam January 13, 2019.

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2019/01/dishes0113.jpg

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax with radiation looming

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

NextOne DH with Renal Cancer

kazu’s BIL’s Mom with Cpvod

Our Nation

Master Marley

StLouisCruiser’s MIL, Sister, and 2 sons in law

HAL (and other crews)

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers and school workers, especially StLouisCruiser’s DD

Front Line Health Care Workers

Himself testing negative

summer slope and cunnorl booking Panama Canal

First jab for Suslor and StLouisCruiser

A free OV offer for CrazyforCats

Jab appointment for Quartzite Cruiser

Good angiogram for Bennybear’s niece

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

It seems ironic to have Skeptics Day & Make your Dream Come True on the same day. 😉  Lots of people booking cruises and dreaming but escape seems a long ways away....

0682AE12-D47D-4134-B56B-E3AE15498AB6.jpeg.aef3507f80834714c74343457b2b953c.jpeg

Love that quote and it seems to be too true these days.

I’ll pass on the meal suggestion thanks.  Might have some pork, not sure.  I’m suffering from covid and creative cooking fatigue this morning 😄  Sometimes I stare in the fridge trying to figure out something different.

90BDFED0-A344-4B66-9EE1-D5C21C3D315E.jpeg.f4136f0d178fee2fc0d9126f89671d05.jpeg

Haven’t had a martini since I was on a blue hulled beauty - hope to enjoy another one on board.🤞 

Nice to see a white wine on the list.  Looking forward to Cat’s description!

Happy to report that I heard from Yonnie (KK) yesterday.  She is still not well but has a stair lift being installed today which should be very helpful to her.  And hopefully, the doctor can be seen shortly and help.  I sent her our best and prayers.

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & those that need them and a toast to everyone on the Celebratory list.  Have a good Hump Day everyone.  Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 26

Happy Hump Day!  Lots of Skeptics around.  Work hard to make dreams come true, and we have a rubber duckie in the pool.  Interesting quote.  Will have the pork chops, but no pierogi's in the house.

Continued prayers for our care list and a big woohoo to our other list.  I hope all who want the vaccine are able to get the first shot soon.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Dry Martini:

Ingredients: 1/2 oz (1 part) Dry vermouth, 3 oz (6 parts) Gin
Preparation: Straight: Pour all ingredients into mixing glass with ice cubes. Stir well. Strain in chilled martini cocktail glass. Squeeze oil from lemon peel onto the drink, or garnish with olive.
Served: Straight (or on the rocks)
Standard garnish: Lemon twist, Olive

Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 7.27.58 AM.png

• Like 18

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich!  Skeptics & Dreamers - that covers the entire spectrum, right? I am so relieved to hear their is a National Rubber Duckie Day 🐥- no matter which nation you live in, please celebrate responsibly!

Roy, thank you for keeping up with our lists! Morning Dailyites & my Sisters!  Jackie, thank you for letting us know about Yonnie! Joy & Denise, miss you! We have a white wine today, and I have personally tasted this one! Meal sounds nummy.

Today the process of painting the outside of my house begins! Woo hoo!  Benjamin Moore has moved to food related color names.  I have chosen Pastry Dough & Filbert Nut as my colors, since they are the closest matches to my current colors.😎

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all we are celebrating.

Stay well everyone!

Stick with the odd-year vintages, they are better rated. And the 2019 vintage is slightly better rated than the 2017! And drum roll, please - online prices start at $13.99! And I have had this! It was one of the wines we purchased for our 2019 Circle Hawaii cruises.

#62 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2018 

The 2017 California Sauvignon Blanc has aromas of mango, ripe melon, peach and passion fruit with citrus and floral notes. The wine opens with bright, tropical aromas, followed by crisp, refreshing acidity and a long, clean, balanced finish.

WS90Wine Spectator: Juicy pear, peach and citrus flavors are bright and smooth, with a touch of dried chamomile and lemon verbena lingering on the finish. Impressive for the focus and aromatic detail. Drink now.

WE90 Wine Enthusiast: This full-bodied wine is delicious, layered, complex and well balanced. It is compelling from the first whiff of melon and fig to the rich, concentrated palate. Best Buy
Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 17

I ve been surfing the internet for quite a long time and I havent found any recent information regarding the upcoming cruises.. It seems to me that we are pretty much done with cruising for now. Lets hope for the best 

• Like 3

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I'm not sure it's really skeptics day  . . .  We're hoping our dream comes true in Nov this year with a TA from Barcelona, and I bought some rubber duckies to put in our tub for the little grandsons during their Christmas visit, but, well, we know how that turned out.

It appears our weather people were a little advanced in their predictions for the Alberta Clipper - it's supposed to hit us today, not yesterday.  With high winds, freezing rain, snow, and winter storm warnings, we're hunkering down in the house today and staying safe.  We've got the car covered so we don't have to chip our way into the doors (or use the hairdryer, as we have in the past) in order to get into it if needed.

I like today's meal suggestion, but don't think there are any pork chops in the "ice cave".  I do have a package of garlic sausage, and saw a great pierogi (we spell them perogi) and sausage casserole that I think I'll put together for dinner tonight.  It'll make the house smell wonderful, and will provide great comfort food on a stormy winter's night.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them, and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising our wine glasses tonight to toast all on the celebration list.  Stay safe, be well, wash your hands and wear your mask.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 19

Good Morning All, found some good news on my credit cards this morning.  I received refunds of four FCD’s (two each).  We are still into HAL for 800 and that is an acceptable risk for now.

I decided to pass on the free OV to Alaska offer.  It was very tempting.  I saw a reminder this morning, CDC announcement of tests to those flying into the states, that we really don’t know terms and conditions to sail.

• Like 12

Beautiful sunrise shot, Roy.  I feel over represented on the Care and Celebration lists today.  By the way, my sister's two sons are my nephews, not her sons-in-law.  They are her eldest and youngest of her five children.  I hope to have better news next week as all four of my Covid positive family members recover.  So far, so good.

I feel like today's wine is one I would enjoy.  I usually stick with the ones I know I like, but I could venture out of my comfort zone for that one.

Thanks to all who post here because what would we do if we didn't have the Daily?

• Like 18

45 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Happy Hump Day!  Lots of Skeptics around.  Work hard to make dreams come true, and we have a rubber duckie in the pool.  Interesting quote.  Will have the pork chops, but no pierogi's in the house.

Continued prayers for our care list and a big woohoo to our other list.  I hope all who want the vaccine are able to get the first shot soon.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Dry Martini:

Ingredients: 1/2 oz (1 part) Dry vermouth, 3 oz (6 parts) Gin
Preparation: Straight: Pour all ingredients into mixing glass with ice cubes. Stir well. Strain in chilled martini cocktail glass. Squeeze oil from lemon peel onto the drink, or garnish with olive.
Served: Straight (or on the rocks)
Standard garnish: Lemon twist, Olive

Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 7.27.58 AM.png

One Martini and I feel like I am on a rollerCoaster.  For those who grew up in Chicago: One Martini and I feel like I am on "The BobS' at the old Riverview Park. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Regarding today's collection of days, I'm not convinced I can make my rubber ducky dream come true, but there you are...  😂

I love a good martini, but prefer mine to be vodka, with a couple of nice olives.  And while I'm not a huuuuge fan of California Sauvignon Blancs, the Joel Gott is nice; I've had it a few times.

I had some bad news yesterday as the only cruise for 2021 that was still on the books for me (a BTB set of Med cruises on Celebrity) were canceled. That cruise was cursed anyway, itinerary was already changed once pre-covid, then I shifted it from 2020 to 2021, and now it is *pouf*.  I watched Mighty Cruise Ships last night (Oceania) to distract myself -- a pretty ship.

• Like 14

8 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Beautiful sunrise shot, Roy.  I feel over represented on the Care and Celebration lists today.  By the way, my sister's two sons are my nephews, not her sons-in-law.  They are her eldest and youngest of her five children.  I hope to have better news next week as all four of my Covid positive family members recover.  So far, so good.

I feel like today's wine is one I would enjoy.  I usually stick with the ones I know I like, but I could venture out of my comfort zone for that one.

Thanks to all who post here because what would we do if we didn't have the Daily?

I hope they all recover!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Rich 

Thank you for the DAILY fleet report.   Thanks to all who posted.  Love the idea of pork chops.    I celebrate my negative Covid report but not with a Martini. Still under quarentine til Saturday morning.  Thanks to all who have posted or will post on this thread.

• Like 11

Good morning all.  Interesting collection of days, I know that when I board  a ship in October my dream will have come true.  Now that the grands are grown we no longer have rubber duckies.  Ours used to flash lights!  The meal suggestion  sounds good, I put it on my “to cook” list.  Looking out the window - dreary!  We are expecting a polar vortex later this week - brrrrr!  Our province has been locked down even further and in some locations (ours being one of them), no in class learning until a month from now.   No word on when we can get the vaccine, there are still LTC residents who have not yet rolled up their sleeves.  Thanks to all who contribute to this thread.  

• Like 14

Skeptic's Day? Really?

Today is breezy and 11°C/52°F.  The breeze is keeping the rain away for the moment, but drizzle is forecast for later.

Last night I booked an Amsterdam Hotel for our September Baltic Rotterdam VII cruise (No prepayment and fully cancellable, of course! 😂), but will not book flights for a few more months.

Ireland is really suffering from the third round of Covid infections.   The easing of restriction prior to Christmas has led to a huge increase in infections, hospitalisations and deaths over the past 2 weeks.  In previous surges we could say that we did not know anyone who had tested positive for Covid, but this time we know of several who are infected including some who are seriously ill.

Stay safe everyone!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning All,

As covid continues to rage our county has added those age 65+ to our current eligibility list for vaccinations with 50+ being eligible in February. Apparently there is a large amount of resistance to the vaccine and they hired a PR agency to improve that. Meanwhile, our hospitals are overflowing.😥

Today’s projects include welcoming our new oven, continued cleanup of the shed and “yard” and spinning some chocolate peanut butter gelato ( the kind with veins of peanut butter). And a bike ride to Trader Joe’s for senior hour. (Not sure why, but they cut back from daily to 2 days a week for that🧐.

Will (try to) post the next installment on our Antarctica trip later from my windows 10 machine.

• Like 13

Thanks  for  the  meal  suggestions. I  find  myself  getting  really  tired  of  the  "what  are  we  eating " routine. I  went  to  my  "ice  cave"  and  found  both  sausages   and  pierogi   and  will  make  a  casserole today. Thanks  to  Ger77  for   the  idea. My  finds   were  way  down  at   the  bottom  of   the  freezer. Take  care   everyone.   Terry

• Like 10