Random Thoughts on Vaccine Progress

KennyFla

19 hours ago, Shippy said:

i AM JEALOUS....

I am am 72 and live in Northern California.

I CANNOT even make an appointment for a vaccine. Have been told all the 75 year olds go first.

We are in Ventura county California. Currently, 75 and older and healthcare workers. Husband was able to get first dose (over 75) and has appointment for second dose at 22 days . I have to wait for next tier to open up. 65 and over and front line workers (teachers etc).

Progressing slowly but orderly.

On 1/22/2021 at 8:17 AM, SirWolf said:

I got the first dose of Moderna vaccine last week, I am in group 1A as per CDC due to my work in Health Care with direct patient contact. I am not a fan of vaccinations and shots in general but after being infected I couldn’t wait to get the needle in my arm.

Everybody that we know that got the second Moderna shot felt bad for a day.  Nothing crazy, headache, tired, maybe body aches.  FYI

The reaction with pfizer seems to happen on the first shot.

We just received our second shot yesterday (Moderna). Arm a little more sore than the first shot, but that is about it. It was very difficult to schedule our appointments but after much perseverance we were finally able to get it. I am hopeful that when more and more vaccines become available the process will be smoother.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Envelope21 said:

We just received our second shot yesterday (Moderna). Arm a little more sore than the first shot, but that is about it. It was very difficult to schedule our appointments but after much perseverance we were finally able to get it. I am hopeful that when more and more vaccines become available the process will be smoother.

Kaiser scheduled our second vaccine after our first one while we sat and waited the 15 minutes they wanted us to do after the vaccine. Seamless😃 Thanks for sharing your 2nd vaccine experience.

We had the AZ and both got chills I had achy joints and DH had a slight headache, we were over it in 24 hours. The leaflet given at the vaccine centre lists side effects

Like all vaccines, COVID-19 mRNA Vaccine BNT162b2 can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them. Most side effects are mild or moderate and go away within a few days of appearing. If side effects such as pain and/or fever are troublesome, they can be treated by medicines for pain and fever such as paracetamol. Side effects may occur with following frequencies:

Very common: may affect more than 1 in 10 people

• pain at injection site

• tiredness • headache •

muscle pain • chills •

joint pain • fever

Common: may affect up to 1 in 10 people

• injection site swelling • redness at injection site • nausea

Uncommon: may affect up to 1 in 100 people • enlarged lymph nodes • feeling unwell

Liz

I wonder when we will see a decrease in the Covid-19 deaths (or deaths attributed to Covid-19) as the vaccinations continue to increase, in the order of high risk groups, to over 35 million (of at least the first dose) to date; yet the deaths continue, never mind flatten or bend or even show signs of decrease yet?

Also, although I don't know if they will publish such, the number of deaths of people 'already vaccinated?

vaccines.JPG.4519fca6d1424fb5c58c388c811a93f9.JPG

1034337267_deathsperM.thumb.JPG.7e6f2040025436bd22c34fd45355e238.JPG

Edited by Formula280SS

59 minutes ago, Formula280SS said:

I wonder when we will see a decrease in the Covid-19 deaths (or deaths attributed to Covid-19) as the vaccinations continue to increase, in the order of high risk groups, to over 35 million (of at least the first dose) to date; yet the deaths continue, never mind flatten or bend or even show signs of decrease yet?

Also, although I don't know if they will publish such, the number of deaths of people 'already vaccinated?

vaccines.JPG.4519fca6d1424fb5c58c388c811a93f9.JPG

1034337267_deathsperM.thumb.JPG.7e6f2040025436bd22c34fd45355e238.JPG

I have always felt that not all deaths attributed to COVID-19 are COVID. Why? No autopsy. It does not take away the seriousness of the loss of human life but it does give inaccurate data. Not a doctor, scientist, or anyone in the medical field just an opinion. 

• Like 1

@Formula280SS

Hi,

it’s too early to see a significant change in active infections and deaths. Just little over 10% of US population has been vaccinated and critical sick patients may have never received vaccine.

The 2nd pic you posted shows the Cumulative confirmed Covid-19 deaths as linear graph. This graph can flatten but can never go down since it shows cumulative numbers. You may post a graph showing deaths by months in a line chart to see increase/level/decrease.

Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna vaccines are approximately 95% effective, in theory only 5% of vaccinated people can still get infected. The higher the number of vaccinated people the lower the number of infected people and the spread of SARS-CoV-2 will slow down.

5 minutes ago, Linda the Book Lover said:

I have always felt that not all deaths attributed to COVID-19 are COVID. Why? No autopsy. It does not take away the seriousness of the loss of human life but it does give inaccurate data. Not a doctor, scientist, or anyone in the medical field just an opinion. 

Yep, totally agree.  Even without an autopsy, it's no secret that any death in which the deceased "had the virus" (regardless of degree) was a virus death.  Too bad that that important data was not chosen over the "more useful" data for the purpose.

My question, or point, is that, at some time soon a reasonably prudent person would expect to see deaths from the virus level of (cumulative) indicating a decrease in deaths.  We haven't seen that yet, and with 35 million vaccinated, with at least the first dose, we should be seeing that soon.

Specifically, nursing home deaths and those with multiple underlying conditions, if they continue to die "post vaccination," will be a strong indicator that the death count from the virus included those that were likely to die regardless.

I'd just like truthful, honest and actual data.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SirWolf said:

@Formula280SS

Hi,

it’s too early to see a significant change in active infections and deaths. Just little over 10% of US population has been vaccinated and critical sick patients may have never received vaccine.

The 2nd pic you posted shows the Cumulative confirmed Covid-19 deaths as linear graph. This graph can flatten but can never go down since it shows cumulative numbers. You may post a graph showing deaths by months in a line chart to see increase/level/decrease.

Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna vaccines are approximately 95% effective, in theory only 5% of vaccinated people can still get infected. The higher the number of vaccinated people the lower the number of infected people and the spread of SARS-CoV-2 will slow down.

Yep, that's what I looking and hoping for.

I also believe we are all entitled to know how many deaths going forward from the virus includes those that have bee fully vaccinated.  Real data, the risk tiers of people, will give us a better valuation of the efficacy outside of trial data.

🤞

Here's the daily ~

daily.thumb.JPG.2b6610e4e1a1c03b63ee1d0d10cff496.JPG

Edited by Formula280SS

17 hours ago, Formula280SS said:

My question, or point, is that, at some time soon a reasonably prudent person would expect to see deaths from the virus level of (cumulative) indicating a decrease in deaths.  We haven't seen that yet, and with 35 million vaccinated, with at least the first dose, we should be seeing that soon

Deaths are a lagging indicator, and the picture they give can be what was happening weeks ago. I know in Florida, deaths are not reported right away. I like to track hospitalizations, that is real time and gives , I think, a better snapshot of the current situation.

Here are Florida's current stats. Whether this is a trend down post holiday or a result of the vaccine we should know in about 30 days.

image.png.b19e3b614f9b39b86685f36ec6d406cd.png

Edited by KennyFla

I have 9 friends who have gotten Covid. One died. Two were hospitalized (one of the two still in the hospital). We are all over 65. The rest reported this was the worst thing they have ever been through. While statistics are useful, the reality is that this is more than just numbers on a graph. Deaths and even hospitalizations don't tell the whole story. Many of the ones who recover do so slowly and for some, still not completely.

1 hour ago, KennyFla said:

Deaths are a lagging indicator, and the picture they give can be what was happening weeks ago. I know in Florida, deaths are not reported right away. I like to track hospitalizations, that is real time and gives , I think, a better snapshot of the current situation.

Here are Florida's current stats. Whether this is a trend down post holiday or a result of the vaccine we should know in about 30 days.

image.png.b19e3b614f9b39b86685f36ec6d406cd.png

Yep, seen that.  Appreciated.

I understand the 'lag, just would really like to see it in the deaths just to establish the % of those that might have died regardless of the virus.

2 hours ago, Formula280SS said:

I understand the 'lag, just would really like to see it in the deaths just to establish the % of those that might have died regardless of the virus.

An interesting proposal but the devil is in the details.

How would you propose determining 'might have died'?  We all die eventually so what criteria and timing would you use for 'might'?   Who should determine a common criteria and timing across all states and territories?

California recently opened up to 65 & older.

My husband & I both got appointments for this Thursday for the first vaccine shot. They did not say say which manufacturer it will be. I really do not care.....just give me the shot    :O)

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

As we approach the end of February, Florida has vaccinated 2.1 million of those 65+, which is 50% of that population.  By all accounts things are speeding up, especially if the Johnson and Johnson vaccine gets approved next week.

By the end of March, Florida should be in pretty good shape protecting those most vulnerable to the virus.

Fingers crossed that in March we will start to hear at least how the re-start will happen.  I'm ready for some good news.

On 1/21/2021 at 10:38 AM, SirWolf said:

Sidari, the vaccination triggers a response of the body to develop Antibodies targeting the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein if SARS-CoV-2 is present. Vaccination prevents the virus to multiply and will be fought off by the natural killer cells before disappearing.

Question: (off topic)

Those vaccinations we got as kids.  Do we still have those antibodies in our blood, or does our body "remember" how to make them when needed?