Mini suite vs premium balcony Grand Princess?

Dall

We’re looking to book land/cruise tour to Alaska on the Grand.  Can you give me your pro’s and cons on having a premium balcony or a mini suite? This will only be our 2nd princess cruise and first time to Alaska!

We would always choose either a window suite or a balcony - never a mini-suite. DW has mobility issues with her knees and has problems stepping in and out of a tub. Mini has shower in tub. Balcony has (very small) walk-in shower. If you don't have mobility issues, then this would not be a problem.

• Like 2

On the Grand Princess the Premium Balcony DOES NOT have a loveseat/sofa.  It is the same as a standard balcony cabin, but the balcony is about double the size of a non-premium balcony.  Premium balconies are half covered by the balcony above giving them some shelter if it rains.  As stated all balcony rooms have a shower only that is quite small with a shower curtain.

The mini suite has a full tub/shower (with curtain) and a full length sofa, so more internal square footage.  The balcony space on a mini suite is similar in size to the size of that of a premium balcony but is not covered at all (unless booking one on Emerald deck 8 near the back of the ship which are fully covered).

If the added interior space of the mini is not of value then the Premium balcony a better choice in most cases.

• Like 1

Mini suite is a larger cabin with a sofa sitting area, two tv's, slightly larger bathroom with a bathtub/shower. All mini suites on deck 9 have a 9ft. x 6ft. balcony which is uncovered. The 12 mini suites aft on deck 8 have the same interior as other mini suites, but these have a covered balcony. There is a smoking area on deck 7 just under the starboard side deck 8 mini suites. Mid ship mini suites on deck 9 are Club Class mini suites. The basic amenity for Club Class is the Club Class dining, a section of the Da Vinchi DR where you can show up anytime the DR is open and be seated fairly promptly. Menu is the same as regular DR + one additional item and improved service.

A premium balcony relates solely to location on the ship. With just a few exceptions (shown in red print on the deck plans) all interiors and furnishings of balcony cat. cabins are the same. Balcony cat. cabins on deck 10 have 9ft. x 9ft. balconies, 5ft of which are covered, 4ft. uncovered. Balconies on other decks are 9ft. x 5ft. and covered. No sofa in a balcony cabin and one desk chair only. One TV.

If Window Suites are available you might take a look at these. They come with full suite amenities.

To further clarify what AtlantaCruiser72 mentioned. Premium balconies are located on deck 10 mid forward and mid aft and do have the 9ft. x 9ft. balconies. However, cat. BD and BE are also located on deck 10. These also have the large balconies with interiors the same as cat. B2. We like to book cat. BD on deck 10. There are also premium balcony cabins, cat B4, at the stern on decks 8, 9 and 10. These have the same interiors, but balcony size and cover vary.

Edited by skynight
  • Like 1

We had a mini suite on our first Princess cruise on the Sky.  Hubby usually doesn't care what I book but when we were planning our next cruise said he would only stay in at least another mini.  He liked the extra room, the shower tub combo and the sofa.   Plus the 2 TV's were an added bonus since he had either an arthritis flare or a severe gout attack and spent a couple of days in the room and having the sofa was awesome for him.    First time either one of us made a trip to the infirmary but she took excellent care of him, wrapped his leg and gave him meds.  

For our Hawaii trip on the Grand we booked E 729 as it has a huge balcony and the extended balcony we had on the Sky spoiled us.

We prefer mini suites.  Full size sofa bed instead of loveseat.  Tub and shower combo.  More storage.  Two televisions.....one in sitting area and one in the bed area.  Larger cabin, but really not by much.  However, they are really not “suites” per se.

19 hours ago, dog said:

Mini has a bathtub. D Balcony has shower stall. Mini has more space. I choose deluxe balcony over mini   Both have sofa/bed. 

The deluxe balcony on the Royal class has a small sofa.  I think the OP is referring to the Grand class where the only difference between the premium balcony cabins and the regular balcony is location.  The balcony may be larger, as they are located midship on the Caribe deck or aft facing.  However, there are also cabins with larger balconies that are on the Caribe deck in the forward and aft (side) cabins.  The stateroom itself is exactly the same on the Grand class ships. 

For the OP, if you are going to spend the extra money, go for a mini instead of a premium balcony.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, dog said:

Mini has a bathtub. D Balcony has shower stall. Mini has more space. I choose deluxe balcony over mini   Both have sofa/bed. 

sorry

i went back to read your question again. I have had the aft corner premium balcony on the Grand Star & Golden. Loved them. Because of location of aft facing corners. No sofa, no tub like the mini suite. 
I had a mini suite upgrade once but it was obstructed by lifeboats. Liked the sofa and bathtub & extra space. 

now, I prefer the newer ships with deluxe balcony-Sky Princess. 

On 1/16/2021 at 7:56 PM, skynight said:

Mini suite is a larger cabin with a sofa sitting area, two tv's, slightly larger bathroom with a bathtub/shower. All mini suites on deck 9 have a 9ft. x 6ft. balcony which is uncovered. The 12 mini suites aft on deck 8 have the same interior as other mini suites, but these have a covered balcony. There is a smoking area on deck 7 just under the starboard side deck 8 mini suites. Mid ship mini suites on deck 9 are Club Class mini suites. The basic amenity for Club Class is the Club Class dining, a section of the Da Vinchi DR where you can show up anytime the DR is open and be seated fairly promptly. Menu is the same as regular DR + one additional item and improved service.

A premium balcony relates solely to location on the ship. With just a few exceptions (shown in red print on the deck plans) all interiors and furnishings of balcony cat. cabins are the same. Balcony cat. cabins on deck 10 have 9ft. x 9ft. balconies, 5ft of which are covered, 4ft. uncovered. Balconies on other decks are 9ft. x 5ft. and covered. No sofa in a balcony cabin and one desk chair only. One TV.

If Window Suites are available you might take a look at these. They come with full suite amenities.

To further clarify what AtlantaCruiser72 mentioned. Premium balconies are located on deck 10 mid forward and mid aft and do have the 9ft. x 9ft. balconies. However, cat. BD and BE are also located on deck 10. These also have the large balconies with interiors the same as cat. B2. We like to book cat. BD on deck 10. There are also premium balcony cabins, cat B4, at the stern on decks 8, 9 and 10. These have the same interiors, but balcony size and cover vary.

Thank you, lots of info.  Are you saying all BD and BE on deck 10 have the larger balcony?

28 minutes ago, Dall said:

Thank you, lots of info.  Are you saying all BD and BE on deck 10 have the larger balcony?

All Caribe Deck (Deck 10) balconies on the Grand Class ships are large and half-covered. I like to book the aft balcony cabins on Caribe Deck. The only thing making the Premium Balconies "Premium" on that deck is the location. I don't see a reason to pay more to be mid-ship.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dall said:

Thank you for all responses.  I’m now leaning towards a BD or BE on deck 10.

On Grand Class ships we have been booking Cat BD on deck 10, Caribe deck, for lots of years. We try to select a BD cabin as far forward as possible C627/26. We find the location convenient.