Embarkation Day Lunch

m8zenblue

This topic may have been covered, I apologize if it has.

Question : Would we be offered lunch in the main dining room if we have cruised with X previously if we don't have Concierge class ?

The first time we cruised with X we were Veranda class, and we were invited to lunch in the main dining room.

The next couple times we were Concierge.

Our next cruise on X will be Veranda.

Just hoping we will be able to have lunch in main dining room instead of buffet.

3 minutes ago, m8zenblue said:

This topic may have been covered, I apologize if it has.

Question : Would we be offered lunch in the main dining room if we have cruised with X previously if we don't have Concierge class ?

The first time we cruised with X we were Veranda class, and we were invited to lunch in the main dining room.

The next couple times we were Concierge.

Our next cruise on X will be Veranda.

Just hoping we will be able to have lunch in main dining room instead of buffet.

The MDR will not be open to you. The MDR is only open to Concierge Class and Consecutive cruisers on embarkation day. 

An alternative is to dine at sushi on five. We are not sushi fans but there are plenty of other tasty alternatives.  It is a pay for menu but a very relaxing way to start your cruise.

If you will be happy with something light then the Aqua cafe in the solarium has soup and sandwiches (no extra cost).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chemmo said:

An alternative is to dine at sushi on five. We are not sushi fans but there are plenty of other tasty alternatives.  It is a pay for menu but a very relaxing way to start your cruise.

If you will be happy with something light then the Aqua cafe in the solarium has soup and sandwiches (no extra cost).

I still miss Bistro on Five as our embarkation lunch spot. :classic_sad:

• Like 12

5 hours ago, TeaBag said:

Thanks Jelayne and Dave.  I never knew about the consecutive cruisers having that perk.  Duh.  missed a lot of MDR first day lunches.

You are welcome. The lunch invitation is in a separate envelope with  the TAD letter. The lunch usually runs between 11:30 to 12:30 or 1:00. Limited menu, but a nice gesture.  

Edited by davekathy

2 hours ago, Ashland said:

Nice to hear someone is concerned about lunch when most of us are interested in if we're even going to be sailing :classic_wink:

I must confess at present I am loving general cruising questions!

Nothing like remembering past experiences and looking forward to more. If through our nostalgia and dreaming we can answer someone’s questions all the better!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, davekathy said:

You are welcome. The lunch invitation is in a separate envelope with  the TAD letter. The lunch usually runs between 11:30 to 12:30 or 1:00. Limited menu, but a nice gesture.  

From my perspective, a very limited menu.  We went one time and after we saw the menu we left.  We usually board early so crowds in the buffet are seldom a problem.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, chemmo said:

Aqua Cafe is excellent for a lunch alternative especially on sea days if you hang by the pool as I do. It also helps keep the weight down as you're sure to gain a few pounds. This works for me.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

Aqua Cafe is excellent for a lunch alternative especially on sea days if you hang by the pool as I do. It also helps keep the weight down as you're sure to gain a few pounds. This works for me.

Excellent suggestion for sea days.  I never miss an opportunity to hang out by the pool.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, drakes2 said:

So agree...We are buffet fans too but once you go in there (with every intention of just having a salad) things seem to just land on your plate!

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, chemmo said:

So agree...We are buffet fans too but once you go in there (with every intention of just having a salad) things seem to just land on your plate!

So true and since there are so many choices you fill your plate and waste a lot of it. Aqua spa is healthy and their soups are delicious and filling.

2 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Liquid lunch works for me..drink package engaged..

I usually have a big breakfast at or near my hotel that morning anyways...

Do the same.  Have some  liquid bread (beer) and maybe a few healthy vegetables if they put celery or olives in the other drinks along with some fruit if they come with a  orange, cherry or pineapple slice.  

Drink up 🥤🧉🍷🥂🥂🍻🍸🥃🍹

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

From my perspective, a very limited menu.  We went one time and after we saw the menu we left.  We usually board early so crowds in the buffet are seldom a problem.

Great for a lite lunch on TAD. Not a buffet fan. Mast/pool grill is a way better option for lunch during the cruise if we eat lunch. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

I like their Oatmeal in the Aqua Spa for breakfast.  

The last cruise I was on was a 12 nighter in October 2019 and didn't gain a pound. Attribute it to healthy lunches and a lot of walking.  Was still able to enjoy my cocktails and nice dinners then dancing at the white night party.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

We suppose that it is a matter of opinion, but we cannot agree that the MDR lunch has "a very limited menu" on Embarkation Day.  We'll let the OP decide if he/she/they agree after reading the following, which we are copying from one of our recent posts (on an earlier January thread):

Although the menu for that day will be subject to change (especially after one year's shutdown), the menu that we have encountered on four ships, over the last several years, has looked like this (and we have tried and enjoyed each of these items):

STARTERS:

Butternut Squash Soup
Caesar Salad (with optional Chicken Slices)
-----

MAIN COURSES:
Whole-Wheat Penne Pasta
Moroccan Braised Short Ribs
Roast Salmon
Grilled Chicken Paillard
Hamburger, Cheeseburger, or Hot Dog
-----

DESSERTS:
Warm Apple Pie (with Vanilla Bean Gelato)
Chocolate Cake
Ice Cream [Vanilla, Chocolate, and one other flavor]
Sorbet [flavor forgotten]
Frozen Yogurt [flavor forgotten]
Chocolate Fudge, Butterscotch, and Raspberry toppings for the above

Have fun!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, jg51 said:

We suppose that it is a matter of opinion, but we cannot agree that the MDR lunch has "a very limited menu" on Embarkation Day.  We'll let the OP decide if he/she/they agree after reading the following, which we are copying from one of our recent posts (on an earlier January thread):

Although the menu for that day will be subject to change (especially after one year's shutdown), the menu that we have encountered on four ships, over the last several years, has looked like this (and we have tried and enjoyed each of these items):

STARTERS:

Butternut Squash Soup
Caesar Salad (with optional Chicken Slices)
-----

MAIN COURSES:
Whole-Wheat Penne Pasta
Moroccan Braised Short Ribs
Roast Salmon
Grilled Chicken Paillard
Hamburger, Cheeseburger, or Hot Dog
-----

DESSERTS:
Warm Apple Pie (with Vanilla Bean Gelato)
Chocolate Cake
Ice Cream [Vanilla, Chocolate, and one other flavor]
Sorbet [flavor forgotten]
Frozen Yogurt [flavor forgotten]
Chocolate Fudge, Butterscotch, and Raspberry toppings for the above

Have fun!

I guess we'll need to disagree.  No main courses that float my boat.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I'm with @jg51. DW and I have enjoyed the lunch and found that the menu offers a number of tasty options. I particularly like the Roast Salmon.

The Moroccan braised short ribs are excellent; meat just falls off the bone.  Its a nice way to have a relaxing lunch while waiting for the cabins to become available.