HOW VACCINE AVAILABILITY COULD IMPACT START OF CRUISES

mcrcruiser

Here in San diego county California we are promised  the vaccine shots & the county of San Diego has illustrated via e-mails that they have established mass   inoculation  venues  as well as CVS  supposedly also has the vaccine  . However & this is  true that all though the county says set appointments & the same doe CVS ,there is no vaccine available  . Gor id there were ample vaccine shots available it would be a matter of getting the appointments . Candidly we are tired of government  telling us to get vaccinated on one hand & than letting us down because there is no vaccine available .

We are both 82 with underlying medical conditions  & imo it is a  huge  miss guidance from out State & or Federal governments   .It is not that we don't try daily ,rather it is the government not leveling with us to  begin  with .

How is the vaccine availability in  your neck of the woods ?  

HAL uses the San Diego port to do a lot of Mexico & Hawaii & Panama Canal  cruises & occasionally longer cruises  to the South Pacific & South America  . We are definitely concerned about the start dates for any of these cruises because of the lack of sufficient vaccine quantities . We surely hope that the 100 million shots each   from both Pfizer & Moderna are reality & not more unsupported government promises

28 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

You are starting yet another thread about this?  Two here now and one on Princess...  EM

Things have changed   because of lack of vaccine here in San Diego county is reason for this thread . Perhaps there are similar stories else where in the USA 

32 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

You are starting yet another thread about this?  Two here now and one on Princess...  EM

BTW what is the vaccine availability in your neck of the woods ?  Just seems to me that the San diego area is more crucial to HALs sailings than  the state of Georgia  ,bot that people are not important but cruise ports are important to HAL & other lines that do sail from San Diego & what the availability of vaccine means to this port 

Edited by mcrcruiser

There are plenty of sites available in San Diego.  Just because Petco has run out of vaccine until Tuesday does not mean other sites do not have availability.  As you have posted on

many sites and many times you are not willing and to drive anywhere for a vaccine.   Encinitas, 4S Ranch, Poway and Rancho Bernardo have appts available. Drive up at Del Mar is a little more difficult.

Have you called the 211 site for an appointment due to your age and inability to navigate the online appt site.

Edited by kiwimum
  • Thanks 1

The funny thing is that our friends and family  in San Diego (my wife taught in Del Mar for 25 years) have had far better luck getting vaccinated in San Diego than we have seen in the less populated area of the central coast. 

• Like 1

The problem is people have unrealistic expectations.  Granted state agencies could do a better job setting those expectations.  The vaccine manufacturers can only make so much vaccine.  They are ramping up and by late spring most of this will be behind us.  In the interim we must have patience, help is on the way.....

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just now, CruiserBruce said:

Did you check CVS? I don't know every location in San Diego County, but I see at least 4 locations in San Diego County, on their website, that claims to have shots available.

We check every day both CVS & the county web sire for availability . There still is no vaccine appointments  .We will keep checking each day 

7 hours ago, kiwimum said:

There are plenty of sites available in San Diego.  Just because Petco has run out of vaccine until Tuesday does not mean other sites do not have availability.  As you have posted on

many sites and many times you are not willing and to drive anywhere for a vaccine.   Encinitas, 4S Ranch, Poway and Rancho Bernardo have appts available. Drive up at Del Mar is a little more difficult.

Have you called the 211 site for an appointment due to your age and inability to navigate the online appt site.

San Diego county has 3.5 million people . From both the county of SD information & our search within the county vaccine sites  & CVS  ,we find no availability for dates  . Perhaps you can lend us   your magic wand 

Newspaper accounts today indicate Pima County (Tucson, AZ) is receiving half the doses this that it received two weeks ago so they are curtailing appointments for the first does and "hoping" there is enough left for those set to receive the second dose. This dire notification when the State announced a Mega 24 hour clinic at the University of AZ to open within two weeks. 

High expectations and low  number of  doses allocated. At the same time statistics were released showing age groups, ethnicity, etc.  receiving the doses. In these accounts, Tucson was praised for a high vaccination rate but our positivity rate is still 12.5%

Is it any wonder it is hard to believe what we are told.

Wife getting her first vaccine on Feb 22. I'm getting my second vaccine on the 25th here in Nebraska. Still waiting for a Panama Canal and/or South Pacific cruise to sail from here. Not sure how long until that happens, but if it does, we will be good to go.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

We check every day both CVS & the county web sire for availability . There still is no vaccine appointments  .We will keep checking each day 

You have to check more than once a day, at more than a couple places, and if you can, find out when they load new appointments.  People are checking at midnight, 4 am, many, many times a day.  Here in NW Washington we got our first shots at Swedish Hospital (they load new appointments at midnight and are gone in minutes).  Our 2nd shots are scheduled for the 18th.

In my area the shots are given at Publix and Kroger with online reservations. In addition each county health department made a list of people to call as did several pharmacies, the health district, and Ingals. I was on 4 call lists and was checking Publix and Kroger several times a day. The health department for my county called me on Monday the first and scheduled me for the 4th with my second shot on March 4th.

10 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

Things have changed   because of lack of vaccine here in San Diego county is reason for this thread . Perhaps there are similar stories else where in the USA 

That's a change?  That's what your previous threads were about.

10 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

BTW what is the vaccine availability in your neck of the woods ?  Just seems to me that the San diego area is more crucial to HALs sailings than  the state of Georgia  ,bot that people are not important but cruise ports are important to HAL & other lines that do sail from San Diego & what the availability of vaccine means to this port 

There are multiple sites here to try, although I had no luck with the first, never answered phone.  But the health group I use sent out an email to reply if you wanted the vaccine.  I filled out the online form for both myself and my sister (who lives with me), and printed out the consents and info.  About a week later I had a text from them that vaccine was available at one of their sites.  I texted back SCHEDULE and was given choice of dates (only doing Sat. & Sundays) and I chose Jan 23.  Time was next:  chose 2pm.  Then I was to choose date and time for second dose.  Chose Feb. 20,  same time.  My sister was sitting nearby a and wondering when they would contact her.  Ten minutes later she got the text.  Chose same date, time 20 minutes later.  No waiting when we got there.  Actually had our shots before appt time.  

We live in a military town with a hospital, and they had an online town hall this week, talking about their vaccine program.  If I hadn't already got started, I could probably get it there, as I am retired military.  It also may be available at the local VA clinic.  EM

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

Here in San diego county California we are promised  the vaccine shots & the county of San Diego has illustrated via e-mails that they have established mass   inoculation  venues  as well as CVS  supposedly also has the vaccine  . However & this is  true that all though the county says set appointments & the same doe CVS ,there is no vaccine available  . Gor id there were ample vaccine shots available it would be a matter of getting the appointments . Candidly we are tired of government  telling us to get vaccinated on one hand & than letting us down because there is no vaccine available .

We are both 82 with underlying medical conditions  & imo it is a  huge  miss guidance from out State & or Federal governments   .It is not that we don't try daily ,rather it is the government not leveling with us to  begin  with .

How is the vaccine availability in  your neck of the woods ?  

San Diego county is doing a fine job with the vaccinations, largely limited only by supply.  Vaccination sites are opening up everywhere, so you may have to look past your immediate location.

igraf

• Like 1

Because we are most likely a lot older than those who posted here ,we expect not to have to go crazy to get vaccinated . We do not move quite as well as when we were younger . Additionally ,I expect our elected officials to do a much better job than complaining & placing  the  blame on to others   .It just seems to me that many states & counties & even the Federal government did not have a really good plan in place about availability for the vaccines in large quantities & then getting those doses to the CVS pharmacies or other convenient outlets .

My bottom line question why do we have to go crazy & the government get off the hook  for a bad job ?  

We are willing to take the vaccines but we are unwilling to scramble for them . The government says they are free ? Really ?

In our opinions unless there is better availability  &   many distribution centers  the roll out will definitely place cruises in jeopardy the rest of 2021 & even into 2022 because the longer the roll out of vaccines the more the virus will  become newer strains ,just like the ones from the UK ,the Brazilian & the South African   variants   

Us & many other people who would want to cruise will not wear masks on cruise ships  & cruise ships with out full protection are petrie dishes

Just now, mcrcruiser said:

In our opinions unless there is better availability  &   many distribution centers  the roll out will definitely place cruises in jeopardy the rest of 2021 & even into 2022 because the longer the roll out of vaccines the more the virus will  become newer strains ,just like the ones from the UK ,the Brazilian & the South African   variants   

Us & many other people who would want to cruise will not wear masks on cruise ships  & cruise ships with out full protection are petrie dishes

Because of the above can the 3 major cruise lines truly hold on to  a financial disaster in the making with the amount of cash they burn each & every month .Last we heard it is a billion per month 

In our state of New Hampshire things are going pretty well but we are a very small state.  There's an effort to home vaccinate those who cannot travel the distance to the various sites and it made me think there might be something like it in the San Diego area since it's a nationwide problem.  

I found the following story that might help, hopefully the link will work 

https://www.10news.com/news/coronavirus/in-depth-plan-in-the-works-to-vaccinate-san-diego-countys-homebound-seniors

We are in San Francisco.   UCSF and Sutter Health are now vaccinating those above 65.

Your Health Provider is the key.   We also have "drop in clinics" for those 65 and over.   Perhaps you need some help to point you in the right direction for vaccine?   

• Like 1

As of last week Texas has vaccinated 4 million people.  Predictions by the state are that by sometime in March everyone who wants one should be able to sign up.   We are currently only vaccinating over 65 and those with certain conditions.  I think that by May 1 we will be looking at a major shift in public policy 

https://tabexternal.dshs.texas.gov/t/THD/views/COVID-19VaccineinTexasDashboard/Summary?%3Aorigin=card_share_link&%3Aembed=y&%3AisGuestRedirectFromVizportal=y&%3Amobile=true&%3AdeepLinkingDisabled=y

• Like 1