lobster

AC2

18 minutes ago, AC2 said:

By any chance does Oceania still have daily grilled lobster in the terrace cafe?

Of course they do - along with a variety of interesting preparations in the specialty restaurants (and NEVER an extra charge for anything in those restaurants).

My favorite preparation? Aragosta Fra Diavolo in Toscana.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

My favorite preparation? Aragosta Fra Diavolo in Toscana.

Which I hope to try next time.

My husband actually admitted to getting a little tired of lobster but that didn't last long. I do understand that, since we really can't get good lobster out here that we're not very discriminating but, dang, it was good.

• Like 1

Thank you all. We were on a transatlantic 7 yrs ago and remember the terrace serving lobster everyday. Have done a few cruises on NCL and one on Princess, Oceania still the best.

13 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Boiled? Don’t you mean steamed?

You, sir, are a connoisseur. 

Some people actually use a pot of boiling water.

I would rush to call these people plebs but for the fact that where I'm from, we take it steamed--but cold. Four hours in the fridge preferably. And yeah we get funny looks.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Shawnino said:

You, sir, are a connoisseur. 

Some people actually use a pot of boiling water.

I would rush to call these people plebs but for the fact that where I'm from, we take it steamed--but cold. Four hours in the fridge preferably. And yeah we get funny looks.

Ok...Lobster report:    Lobster is served, every day  in the Terrace, Waves, Polo, Jacques and Toscana., so relax  and enjoy   All are  served grilled  except in Polo which is steamed .      Only Polo serves Maine lobster the rest are Spiny Lobster.

I find grilled or steamed lobster, served warm with tarragon butter to be the pinnacle of lobster.   From my last lobster  attack in Maine ( Lobster roll, Lobster Fritters, Lobster Sushi, Lobster stew , Lobster Bisque) 

Mc Donald's in Maine serves seasonal Lobster Rolls.  Red Lobster is  next in poor taste.   Eating one is a class # 3 felony .    Eating a lobster roll with anything but Mayo or Butter is a class #2 felony.

I found that cold lobster, cooled or cold had 1/3 the taste of fresh cooked hot or warm lobster.  Cold lobster becomes rubbery and gelatinous  and while fairly better than NO lobster is Never as good as Warm.  ( unless you have imbibed s whole lot of ethanol)   

I find marginal taste difference between Maine and Spiny lobster   

Spiny lobsters  I rate in this order of taste and texture 1. Australian  2 California  3 Caribbean 4. Mediterranean( Langostine ) 

Of the Maine variety:   1. Maine 2. Brittany Blue  3 Canadian. 

To further break down lobster world   Summer produces in the Maine and Canadian region Soft shell lobster after they molt    Later season Lobsters are Hard shell and not quite as tender as energy goes into  making a new shell not meat.

Maine has the un questioned most lobster places to eat   1  Lobster Pounds are the best,  , Bar Harbor  and Camden and Wincassett  region of Maine  having the best   (   Mc Loons, Thurston are standouts)

2 Mom and pop.   ( High Roller Lobster and Porthole Portland being the best) Portland providing the best seafood foodie experience on the east coast according to Bon Appetite

There you go... print this but do not show it to Vegans or Green Peace ...   they erect Lobster memorials for fallen lobsters  and curse those who they consider viel people who actualy eat lobster.  One step above infanticide and cannibalism in their eyes

42468716_2142861826031701_2232850503874641920_n.jpg

france maine, ak 2017 660.JPG

france maine, ak 2017 683.JPG

france maine, ak 2017 710.JPG

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Autumn (post-molt) lobster is a very pale copy of Spring lobster in Maine/Canada. 

I have written this story at least once on one of these boards; it might be worth retelling.

Growing up, lobster was my grandmother's favourite food, bar none. She was forbidden from eating it in public.

That, was food for poor people.

My family was plenty poor (think: Monty Python's Four Yorkshiremen poor...) but there was no way in hell my great-grandparents would ever let it be displayed. 

When my grandmother moved out, she would bring a lobster sandwich to work for lunch. Rebel. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Shawnino said:

Autumn (post-molt) lobster is a very pale copy of Spring lobster in Maine/Canada. 

I have written this story at least once on one of these boards; it might be worth retelling.

Growing up, lobster was my grandmother's favorite food, bar none. She was forbidden from eating it in public.

That, was food for poor people.

My family was plenty poor (think: Monty Python's Four Yorkshiremen poor...) but there was no way in hell my great-grandparents would ever let it be displayed. 

When my grandmother moved out, she would bring a lobster sandwich to work for lunch. Rebel. 

My heart goes out to you....... the suffering..... the pain.....lobster deprivation  anemia !   Maybe your entitled to repatriations .   And I know the Four Yorkshire men tale all to well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hawaiidan said:

Ok...Lobster report:    Lobster is served, every day  in the Terrace, Waves, Polo, Jacques and Toscana., so relax  and enjoy 

Don’t forget the lobster Pad Thai in RG.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Don’t forget the lobster Pad Thai in RG.

Yes    but  nothing like the steamed whole lobster in Polo...   #1       By the way I found that Albertson here in So cal carries  8 oz Canadian lobster tail for $14.95.    Seafood joints like Giovanni in Morro  or Santa Monica seafood are running $ 24  for 6 oz tail.  Or get crazy and  go for the Australian 28 oz tals for $ 99 @......

Now  in my past reference to Portland Me.    You can get 2 lobsters corn  potatoes and roll for $24.95 !!!     High roller has lobster Tempura Lobster pops on a stick  ( move over corn dog)

france maine, ak 2017 718.JPG

france maine, ak 2017 684.JPG

france maine, ak 2017 707.JPG

1 hour ago, Hawaiidan said:

Yes    but  nothing like the steamed whole lobster in Polo...

Our experience with the steamed whole lobster in Polo was horrible. The worst lobsters we've ever had...inedible...steamed to the consistency of mush. We sent them back and ate something else.

BTW...this was on the first segment of an Insignia world cruise, where you would think you'd get the best of everything...and that everything would be as fresh as possible since the ship had just been provisioned in Miami, which wasn't always the case. we had rotten fruit a few days into the cruise for example.

Frankly, the only thing that got me to go back to Oceania after that cruise was an outstanding itinerary, not Oceania's much-touted food.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Shawnino said:

Growing up, lobster was my grandmother's favourite food, bar none. She was forbidden from eating it in public.

Same here. My grandmother went out at low tide to get lobster they were so plentiful. But after dark, when nobody would see her and her family!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Our experience with the steamed whole lobster in Polo was horrible. The worst lobsters we've ever had...inedible...steamed to the consistency of mush. We sent them back and ate something else.

I have always found the lobsters on board to taste weird and a little off putting... almost a chlorine after taste. But, admittedly, that could be that we are spoilt for choice because of where we live and the abundance of friends with lobster pots. 🦞

When we have a cruise embarkation out of Port Everglades (or even the Port of Miami when we often stay in Ft Lauderdale) we know that our only great lobster dinner will be the night before the cruise when we go to Kelly's Landing where they serve whole Maine lobster (we are talking lobster with claws) which are perfectly prepared.  We have never had particular good lobster on any cruise (and we have been on far more then 100 cruises).   I have never understood folks who spend thousands of dollars on a cruise getting excited about so-so lobster tails or spiny lobster.   

Hank

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

When we have a cruise embarkation out of Port Everglades (or even the Port of Miami when we often stay in Ft Lauderdale) we know that our only great lobster dinner will be the night before the cruise when we go to Kelly's Landing where they serve whole Maine lobster (we are talking lobster with claws) which are perfectly prepared.  We have never had particular good lobster on any cruise (and we have been on far more then 100 cruises).   I have never understood folks who spend thousands of dollars on a cruise getting excited about so-so lobster tails or spiny lobster.   

Hank

The lobster in Polo isn't spiny lobster or lobster tails. It's whole steamed lobster that originated in cold North Atlantic waters such as those of  Maine or Atlantic Canada.

4 hours ago, clairol said:

I have always found the lobsters on board to taste weird and a little off putting... almost a chlorine after taste. But, admittedly, that could be that we are spoilt for choice because of where we live and the abundance of friends with lobster pots. 🦞

Lobsters live in the sea and eat stuff with iodine in it. Scallops, Mussels, Crab, flounder  all bottom creatures... and live in seawater with different Ph...

. lobsters from location A  can taste different than location B on the same coast.  Even further, lobsters in A can vary according to the season that what the sea is doing at that time and the Gulf Stream....     Its a big ocean   almost 4000 miles of coast line in Maine.... lots of variables in  4000 miles

Edited by Hawaiidan

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

Because they are damm good.   There is very little difference I found.   Like people who love a restaurant because of where it is...   It will ALWAYS be better in their eyes because it is where it is.  Familiarity!   Not Reality... Beauty in their eyes

Now the big  seagoing housing projects  afloat, like  on the "Obscenity of the Seas",  their once a cruise Lobster night complete with scooter jams and rampant greed ( like people ordering 3-4-5- tails)... with spiny lobster over cooked to the extent that you could caulk a hole in  your shoe.  From Melanesia or Belize .  ( where Red Lobster gets its supply)    Cooked to rubber like shrimp . 

Best lobster I found is getting "chicken" lobster 1.25 lb... and getting 2    That will net you claw and tail about 8-9 0z of net meat    Getting a big bug of over 1.75+  will be far less tasty.   Getting the 15 lb at the Palms will only please the kitchens bottom line.   

8 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I have never understood folks who spend thousands of dollars on a cruise getting excited about so-so lobster tails or spiny lobster.   

As I've said, being West Coasters we're totally ignorant about lobster but we enjoyed it anyway. But I had seared foie gras twice and the best escargots I've ever had (and I make it occasionally). But those were in specialties.

On 3/1/2021 at 9:35 AM, USNA 72 said:

My BIL always asked for 2 Surf 'n' Turf sandwiches; "hold the bread and hold the turf!"

My standard Waves Grill order is double surf, no turf, no bread. So delicious! 🦞

• Like 2