Solo travel experience on Oceania

voyageur

I have been on several cruise lines with a partner, and on Silversea solo.  Can anyone please share their experience as a solo traveler on Oceania, as I'm considering a couple of their itineraries for 2022. Silversea has cocktail gatherings every night for those who wish to meet other solo's for dinner, etc.

I am not a solo traveller but on our Oceania cruises i have seen get togethers for Singles listed in our daily newsletter.  We always ask to share a table when dining, and have met several great solo travellers. I like not to go on Oceania excursions but find my own and when I "advertise" openings for excursions  I have found , have gotten to meet some great people travelling  alone. 

I have traveled solo several times on Oceania.  Because the ships are not huge, I have always found it easy to meet people.  As Mrs f.  says a lot of people are willing to share in the main dining and in the specialty restaurants so you have lots of opportunity to meet people.

There is also a Hostess who regularly hosts get togethers  for solos.

Join your Roll Call.  Some are not very active but there is always a chance that people will post private tours and be looking for someone to join.  I have met some great people that way that I am still in touch with.

On 3/6/2021 at 2:47 PM, Noxequifans said:

Probably best to make this inquiry with your travel agent.

Or probably not.  Sorry, I could not resist.  Solo cruisers on past Oceania cruises should be an excellent source of shared experiences.  This would be true on most inquiries, but not all of them.

• Like 1

I have found many travel agents have not cruised O ,are not single or booked it. On a world cruise, 40 females to 8 males.  Look for a preferred Oceania outside agent or call O directly. I find best deals by booking the day new offerings come out , book directly.  Final payments due later by booking directly.

1 hour ago, zoncom said:

I have found many travel agents have not cruised O ,are not single or booked it. On a world cruise, 40 females to 8 males.  Look for a preferred Oceania outside agent or call O directly. I find best deals by booking the day new offerings come out , book directly.  Final payments due later by booking directly.

I always book through my wonderful TA and my final payment is when Oceania says it is, not before.    Not all travel agencies are alike. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, KS&JW said:

I always book through my wonderful TA and my final payment is when Oceania says it is, not before.    Not all travel agencies are alike. 

My experience, too.

22 hours ago, jagoffee said:

Or probably not.  Sorry, I could not resist.  Solo cruisers on past Oceania cruises should be an excellent source of shared experiences.  This would be true on most inquiries, but not all of them.

Travel Agents should be able to investigate/assess if a particular cruise line or cruise are proper for solo travelers. If an agent is not responsive in this regard, find a new one. 

I’ve traveled solo a few times on O. Typically the social hostess arranges a solo get together pre-dinner early in the cruise. There will be a limited number of gatherings during the cruise. They are announced in the Current. Know that “solos “ may or may not be single. 

My question relates to dining in the specialty restaurants. Don't want to dine alone. Will the Matre d'

work with singles to create a shared table? Or do you have to wait for a couple etc. to be willing to share a table with you? What has been your experience?

55 minutes ago, Dwtlion said:

My question relates to dining in the specialty restaurants. Don't want to dine alone. Will the Matre d'

work with singles to create a shared table? Or do you have to wait for a couple etc. to be willing to share a table with you? What has been your experience?

The specialty restaurants are by reservation, if you choose shared, which it sounds like you would do, there is no problem. It's set up in advance. 

1 hour ago, Dwtlion said:

Just choose Sharing option

we  were seated with 3 solo pax on one of our cruises  

even in the GDR we have shared tables with solo pax  

no problem if you do not mind sharing with  a couple or 2  😉

Just cleaning out some stuff and found my folder for 14 day Marina Barcelona  to Rio November  2019.....8 sea days....checked each day of CURRENTS. No listings st all for Solo gathetings.  I know on our 30 day South African cruise before that there wers a bunch of solo meetings.  Maybe it depends on length of cruise.  

someone will correct me if wrong  but I think some gatherings are  by invitation

I remember seeing  a group of solo pax  at  a dinner in the GDR 

some meet people they know or new friends & make their own arrangements

• 1 month later...

I am also interested to know the extent to which Oceania facilitates “solo” events. I have a courtesy hold on the 17 NOV 2021 Rome to Miami TA on  Riviera. If I can’t convince my husband to accompany me, I’ll be traveling solo.

Many on this board know my story, but in case you didn't, I met a gal on the second day of the 2019 ATW cruise, at the solo welcome party, and 2 days before the cruise ended, we got married aboard the ship....🙂

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, bob brown said:

Many on this board know my story, but in case you didn't, I met a gal on the second day of the 2019 ATW cruise, at the solo welcome party, and 2 days before the cruise ended, we got married aboard the ship....🙂

What a great story! (and don’t tell my husband!)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2