Looking at cruises in early 2022 - Vaccine required?

SumoCitrus

We're starting to look at cruises in early 2022. What do you think the odds are HAL will require proof of vaccine to cruise? Have they issued any public statements about this? I know airlines have and stated they would not require proof of vaccine.

I hope they do require vaccination proof, too. I just posted a thread with Celebrity's health protocols for their cruises this summer sailing from St. Maarten. They seem very reasonable.

• All passengers 18 years and older MUST be vaccinated (16 years if they have the Pfizer vaccine).
  • All crew will be vaccinated.
  • Negative test 72 hours before arriving in St. Maarten (St. Maarten requirement).
  • We are not going to be required to use ship tours…you can get off the ship on your own and do your own thing. Policies related to this are being finalized.
  • They will update the mask requirements and other health protocols on board by next week when they open the cruises for reservations.
  • There will be sailing at reduced capacity – 40-60% of the ship will be available.
  • They will be testing you prior to embarkation.  There is no cost to passengers for testing.
  • They will do the mouth swab antigen test onboard the day before disembarkation so people can come back to the states and there is not charge for either tests. Results are know in 5 - 6 minutes.
  • You can only book verandas on Millennium.  No insides or oceanviews at this time for the summer cruises.
  • Muster drill will remain on the TV in your cabin.  No more muster drills in public spaces with lots of people.
  • Oceanview café will have food behind glass and served by crew members. You will no longer be allowed to self-serve.
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, woodworker&knitter said:

I for one hope they do require a certificate of vaccination. 

I agree 100%.  I just came back from my first airline flight in the past 15 months and was a bit concerned about how "packed" the flight was and how many people told me that they have not had their shots yet.

• Like 3

Do you think they will be allowed to require that?  I have a feeling there would be an uproar about "vaccine discrimination".  There was a cartoon in our local paper the other day, evidently there are already complaints about unfair treatment.

IMG_5566.thumb.JPG.963869356ef8353c013fc95abf4beb92.JPG

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Do you think they will be allowed to require that?  I have a feeling there would be an uproar about "vaccine discrimination".  There was a cartoon in our local paper the other day, evidently there are already complaints about unfair treatment.

I don't think there will be any issues with requiring a vaccine...it's not that much different from requiring a Yellow Fever vaccine for certain itineraries.  It's not that much different from requiring a passport to go to certain places.

Cruise line requirement or not, I won't go until I am vaccinated.  I want to protect my self from more serious illness in the event that there is an outbreak.

• Like 9

18 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Other cruise lines are already doing it.  I suspect that down the road it will be required for cruises, international travel and possibly even hotel internationally.

Of course I could be wrong - I have been before 😂 

• Like 5

I think they will, if only to be in compliance with the regulations of the ports of call.  I also expect to have limited options for shore excursions.  I am sailing mid April and that is what I am planning for.  

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

My feeling is that a country may require a vaccination, but I'm not so sure that a cruise line could.  And it's all about the money!

I believe that all cruise line will require proof of vaccination for all passengers over the age of 16 and of all staff and crew.  Cruise lines are private businesses and they can allow any one they wish to cruise and they can establish the boundries for passengers. 

If you feel it is all about money just think how much more expensive it would be for the cruise lines to have Covid break outs onboard as opposed to requiring vaccines.

I do not believe it is all about money, I believe that the cruise lines want their staff, crew and passengers to remain healthy and happy so they will return in the future when these measures are no longer required. If these measures are not followed Covid will remain and our world needs to fact facts instead of just wishing everything was back to "normal" pre Covid.

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

I’m sure there will be an uproar. A spoiled child always believes they have a right to ALL the candy in the jar.  HOWEVER it is equally discriminatory to limit driving to those who have passed a drivers test and been given a license. This discriminates against those who’s vision stops them from passing the eye test. What about those who might fail the exam and feel badly, or believe that a government exam is intrusive and a violation of their rights? Should those who have finished high school be allowed to have a graduation, while those in Grades 9 - 11 don’t get one yet? How unfair to those who must wait!

When everyone has the same opportunities but face the consequences of informed personal choices, there is no discrimination. And there is a lot of hope in seeing a goal others have reached, and you soon will. There is a HUGE difference between ‘have- and - have-not’,  and ‘have- and -haven’t yet’.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

To answer your query:

1. Yup. Mandatory vaccination or, perhaps, a medical exemption letter (daily / 48 / 72 hours testing might be required for this option & should be IMO) for upcoming cruising in the near future.

2. Limited ship passenger capacities, as mentioned, on re-starts.

3. HAL has yet to announce protocols but I assume they will follow other cruise lines & CDC guidelines. I can hardly wait.

4. International flights on many airlines currently require 48-72 hour testing & documentation depending on destination.

Me thinks, things will improve as time progresses. We’re hoping the 2022 cruise season will happen & be enjoyable.

Best wishes.

Be well.

Bob

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Djptcp said:

I hope they do require vaccination proof, too. I just posted a thread with Celebrity's health protocols for their cruises this summer sailing from St. Maarten. They seem very reasonable.

• All passengers 18 years and older MUST be vaccinated (16 years if they have the Pfizer vaccine).
  • Negative test 72 hours before arriving in St. Maarten (St. Maarten requirement).
  • We are not going to be required to use ship tours…you can get off the ship on your own and do your own thing. Policies related to this are being finalized.
  • They will update the mask requirements and other health protocols on board by next week when they open the cruises for reservations.
  • There will be sailing at reduced capacity – 40-60% of the ship will be available.
  • They will be testing you prior to embarkation.  There is no cost to passengers for testing.
  • They will do the mouth swab antigen test onboard the day before disembarkation so people can come back to the states and there is not charge for either tests. Results are know in 5 - 6 minutes.
  • You can only book verandas on Millennium.  No insides or oceanviews at this time for the summer cruises.
  • Muster drill will remain on the TV in your cabin.  No more muster drills in public spaces with lots of people.
  • Oceanview café will have food behind glass and served by crew members. You will no longer be allowed to self-serve.

I am concerned about  a plan for dealing with any passenger who becomes infected DURING the cruise. That's me biggest fear. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BobbiSox said:

I am concerned about  a plan for dealing with any passenger who becomes infected DURING the cruise. That's me biggest fear. 

I agree which is why I think vaccines are so important for everyone (even youngsters).  In that case, an infection should be unusual and only minor in nature.

• Like 6

I am very encouraged by this.  I am really hoping a vaccination certificate will be required to board and Covid testing all around.  With an astonishing number of people opting out of the vaccine, I was becoming concerned about travel in the future.  If vaccinations are required, cruising may be one of the safest ways to vacation because of the control the cruise lines will have as to who will sail and who will not.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

I agree which is why I think vaccines are so important for everyone (even youngsters).  In that case, an infection should be unusual and only minor in nature.

I see a lot  people who won't even wear a mask, and resent being asked to wear one, and refuse to wear one, so I seriously doubt these same people will willingly submit to a vaccination. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BobbiSox said:

I see a lot  people who won't even wear a mask, and resent being asked to wear one, and refuse to wear one, so I seriously doubt these same people will willingly submit to a vaccination. 

Then hopefully they will not be allowed on a cruise ship.  It would be their choice.

• Like 14

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

Then hopefully they will not be allowed on a cruise ship.  It would be their choice.

They could choose to go to Miami Beach instead for spring break. (I was going to put a laughing emoji, but thinking about it, it is more tragic than funny.)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BobbiSox said:

Yes, and that's where we'll see the separation of who will cruise and who won't hopefully.  I will follow all rules and regulations happily for the benefit of all of us and for the ability to cruise again.  It would be really awful to witness non-compliant passengers refusing to mask and give staff a hard time for enforcing the rules.  I hope the uncooperative ones are never given a chance to set one foot on the gangway.  

• Like 6

6 hours ago, BobbiSox said:

I would hope that all cruise lines implement a contact-tracing system like MSC has. On one of the recent cruises on the MSC Grandiosa leaving from Genova, a Cruise Critic poster described their experience when one of the family members made contact. The infected person was taken off the ship at a port and then the person(s) who had contact were quarantined for the remainder of the 7 day cruise. I believe that it was for less than 48 hours. They had driven to the port and MSC even packed sandwiches, etc. so that they would not need to stop before reaching home.

My guess is that proof of covid vaccination may be require for quite some time.  And not just on cruise ships either.  I can easily imagine international airlines and resorts doing the same.  For how long...who knows.  Probably at 12 months post covid...or longer.

On 3/22/2021 at 8:56 AM, Djptcp said:

This is a very strange line

All passengers 18 years and older MUST be vaccinated (16 years if they have the Pfizer vaccine).

If they are not requiring those between 16 and 18 to get Pfizer vaccine the line (16 years if they have the Pfizer vaccine) is pretty meaningless.  

7 hours ago, nocl said:

This is a very strange line

All passengers 18 years and older MUST be vaccinated (16 years if they have the Pfizer vaccine).

If they are not requiring those between 16 and 18 to get Pfizer vaccine the line (16 years if they have the Pfizer vaccine) is pretty meaningless.  

Right now that 2 years is a factor we just have to deal with. Its not meaningless, just something out of our control. One of the cruise lines is not allowing anybody under 18 at all, to avoid this issue.