The Daily for Thursday Mar 25, 2021

richwmn

1 hour ago, kb4683 said:

OMG!  I was born and raised in Anderson and never lived outside Madison County until we moved to Florida!!  Small 🌎.  Did you ever have the tenderloins from Abel's Bar at Broadway and Cross??

Don't think so. Lived near Nichol/Raible and in Daleville. DH worked for Delco-Remy 1964-81. Culver's is coming to Ocala in the next year, less travel time than to Gainesville or The Villages.

• Like 8

36 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

Don't think so. Lived near Nichol/Raible and in Daleville. DH worked for Delco-Remy 1964-81. Culver's is coming to Ocala in the next year, less travel time than to Gainesville or The Villages.

We both retired from DR in 1999 (DH 34 years, me 30 and out 😃).  I was a third generation DR employee.

Edited by kb4683
  • Like 6

Good morning and thanks all!  Glad for this Ray of sunshine as it’s snowing again!   
Ann,  agree some of those reislings are like dessert wines!  

I love the discussion of pecan pronunciation!  Ever argued with an 11 year old why Edinburgh doesn’t rhyme with iceberg?    She grew up into a teacher, lol!  Thankful she finished her quarantine with no symptoms.  

We really enjoyed Kennedy space centre.  My mom was with us and we were beside one of the rovers that had a spaceman sitting in it.  The kids asked us about it,  we said it was a dummy,  until he got up and walked off!  We were fortunate to be able to see one of the space shuttles from our hotel just after launch!  

stay safe,  our variant numbers are nasty so we are still being very cautious!  We have 10,000 students in isolation!  

B8CFE1B9-49CE-4F8B-98D3-4DD667376A24.jpeg

• Like 23

49 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Good morning, all! Pecans and waffles sounds wonderful, as does breaded pork tenderloin. I love the quote! I visited Port Canaveral with my family as a child, but not on a cruise ship.That was, well, not recently.

Gerry, congratulations on the jab appointment. We’re waiting for the next booking eligibility announcement in BC. DH should be in the next group, if all goes the way it has been. 
Our rain has turned to partly sunny skies, so I’m hoping to catch a bit more fresh air today!

Thank you all for such a positive space to be. I’ve been checking out some of the other CC threads, and there’s some stormy weather in those waters. This is a much nicer harbour!

Finally, Happy Thursday from the elevator mats of our BHB’s.

FFDB76DB-43B6-4D26-8AEB-A948313A2108.thumb.jpeg.d389b041a9c72f99815886d6a769b7a5.jpeg

@Horizon chaser 1957, when your DH calls for his vaccination, he might mention that he is bringing you with him. I know my DH was asked when he called if he had mobility issues - he said no, but that he was bringing me  - immediately was told him they would do me at the same time!  I am within 5 years of his age - they asked for my date of birth, so it was not a problem.  Things are pretty slow here, that might have been the reason.  But when my neighbour went for hers, they said at the arena that they would do her DH at the same time, even though he did not have an appointment.  Of course, he had forgotten his care card, so they made an appointment for him then.  Good to get it over with at the same time, though.

• Like 18

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

A bit late today as I had an urgent eye exam this morning.

Good days. It's also National Medal of Honor Day.

The meal sounds good as well. I haven't heard of Penicillin as a drink, and don't like Scotch.

I've was in Port Canaveral in 2007 as part of a combined Disneyworld and Disney Cruise trip.

It's warm and sunny now, but we're supposed to get rain, storms, and 55 mph winds overnight.

Woohoo, I got my haircut yesterday! I feel scalped, lol.

@ger_77 Congrats on getting an appointment!

Prayers for the care list and cheers to the celebration list. 

Stay safe and wear your mask.

Disney Wonder

339.thumb.JPG.977bbe3e8b78334c5eb990c88419c711.JPG

NASA buildings seen from the ship in Port Canaveral.

1109139166_336-NASAbuilding.thumb.JPG.57aefac7c3589c92b156967cd1077748.JPG

Sunset as we sail from Port Canaveral.

351.thumb.JPG.7148423fbb8e7243f7114a4260aeb2f2.JPG

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 25

52 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

@Horizon chaser 1957, when your DH calls for his vaccination, he might mention that he is bringing you with him. I know my DH was asked when he called if he had mobility issues - he said no, but that he was bringing me  - immediately was told him they would do me at the same time!  I am within 5 years of his age - they asked for my date of birth, so it was not a problem.  Things are pretty slow here, that might have been the reason.  But when my neighbour went for hers, they said at the arena that they would do her DH at the same time, even though he did not have an appointment.  Of course, he had forgotten his care card, so they made an appointment for him then.  Good to get it over with at the same time, though.

This is exactly what happened to me when i called to book DH appointment, so we are both booked on the same day

It is nice to know we can finally get our first jabs.

• Like 11

Pecan pronunciation reminds me of a time I was on a business trip in Central Florida and had a spare day.  We were heading to Epcot Center on a Florida toll road.  Seems like every few miles we had to stop and pay a small toll, like 75 cents.  At one toll booth there was a very large lady toll taker with a big smile on her face.  I asked her how far we were from Kissimmee.  She replied "Har Har Har.  It's not Kissy Me, it's Kiss Simmy, Har Har Har"

Ray

• Like 9
  • Haha 6

17 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

We were heading to Epcot Center on a Florida toll road.  Seems like every few miles we had to stop and pay a small toll, like 75 cents. 

I've dubbed Florida "the handout state".  Every few miles there's a hand out.

Roy

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

Thank you Rich, Roy, the drinks and recipe ladies and everyone who enjoys the daily.

A good fresh pecan waffle sounds marvelous and is a good idea for breakfast tomorrow.

Breaded pork tenderloin sound like it really ought to be pounded thin and turned into schnitzel!

I would alter our drink of the day to use Black Bottle (a blended scotch from Bunnahabhain on Islay) rather than bespoiling my Islay single malts.  Islays are some of my favorites and DH and I have visited all the Islay distillers, some more than once.

Have spent a fair bit of time near/at Port Canaveral.  Most of it was at Cape Canaveral when I worked for the Air Force on launch.  Lots of wonderful stuff to see at Kennedy Space Center also.  One of the most wonderful things I got to experience was watching the sea turtles come ashore one evening.  That was really cool.  Unfortunately no pics.

Prayers to all those on the care list and those who need them.  Best wishes to all. 

• Like 17

33 minutes ago, lynanken said:

This is exactly what happened to me when i called to book DH appointment, so we are both booked on the same day

It is nice to know we can finally get our first jabs.

Well, we have one more group to go and as long as the vaccine holds out, DH should receive his first jab.  If they want to offer it to me too, that would be great.  (I’m in the next group) but if not, I’ll wait.

• Like 12

24 minutes ago, kazu said:

Well, we have one more group to go and as long as the vaccine holds out, DH should receive his first jab.  If they want to offer it to me too, that would be great.  (I’m in the next group) but if not, I’ll wait.

The RN who "did" us commented - "Great, two for the price of one"...

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, richwmn said:

A note on Port Canaveral. It was interesting to see this pop up this morning. When I started the port selection, I grabbed a list from the HAL website where you could select a port of call you wanted to visit. While HAL used Port Canaveral for embarkation sometime in the early 2000's, that has not been the case in a long time. Port Canaveral shows up as a port of call for one cruise, a relocation from Montreal to Fort Lauderdale Oct 8, 2022-Oct 22, 2022. portCanaveral.png.76c4325861b65044f4553829d1424829.png

With all the options between Boston and Fort Lauderdale, why stop at Port Canaveral?

Hey, that's my future cruise!!!  We've been to Port Canaveral once before, back in 1999 when we took our kids on a Disney cruise.  Not sure if I have pictures of the actual port, we bused from Disney World to the port.  I've been looking at tours and we are interested in one that goes to the Space Center.

• Like 11

Good afternoon everyone!  Thank you for the Daily Rich.  And, Roy, as always, thank you for your lists and extra contributions.

We say pa-con in our house.  🙂  Probably because we were from western Missouri transplanted to Colorado, maybe?  I think pe-can is more Southern.  Craig loves the waffles on board and has them several times during a cruise.  The meal suggestion sounds good, might have to write that one down for the future. 

I'm going to look at our Disney cruise pictures and if I see anything worthwhile I'll post it later.  I do remember the scaled down model of a Disney ship that @StLouisCruisers posted with one side cut away for the interior.

• Like 14

Good afternoon.  Today’s drive went a lot more smoothly.  We are now half way between Quartzsite and our Texas home.  We are taking our time and avoiding long days of driving.

Always liked the cartoon Cathy, and the four guilts are true.  Love waffles, but with strawberries.  My parents fixed them with pecans, which is not my favorite nut.  BTW, we pronounce it pe-con.  When I hear pee-can, it’s like fingernails on a chalkboard. 😱

We visited today’s port on a land trip many, many years ago, but never by ship.

As others have stated, this is the bright spot on CC.  With so much negativity and speculation not always based on facts on some of the threads, I tend to not bother reading them.

An interesting event is happening in the campground.  We noticed motorhome next to us had one of the big side mirrors dangling by “a thread”.  While it can be driven, there must be other problems since they are loading it on a flatbed trailer pulled by a semi.  That is quite a process.  It is 40+ feet long so can’t be towed.

A bit of advice, if you get a new cell phone, keep the old one.  My new one quit working yesterday.  After a long call with the cell provider and DH troubleshooting, it was finally determined to be the phone.  Good news is my old phone is working just fine.

Lenda

• Like 14

11 hours ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!

It is going to be another warm day here.  Who knows what the rest of the weather forecast really is.  It says rain, but the hour by hour doesn't show it until later tonight.  I'll make the most of it until then!

It was really nice going out with friends yesterday.  I love that the vaccine is my passport to normalcy.  It has been a long time.

Today's celebrations are all good ones, although I would skip the waffles due to the carbs.  

Today's meal gets very mixed reviews.  The breading needs some pizazz and Barbara from Iowa disapproves of the method of preparation.  I will be interested in Roy's alternative.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/breaded-pork-tenderloin/

Breaded pork tenderloin.jpg

Maybe Barbara from Iowa doesn't approve, but Janet from Iowa (me) thinks it sounds great! Maybe it's because I grew up in Minnesota.  This is one I will make using my tenderized pork loin slices in the freezer....someday. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

There is another reason to keep old cell phones.  Even though they are not connected to a carrier, they can still be used to call 911, as long as the battery is charged.  You won't get a call back or provide location data, though.  If you live alone and there is a chance that you could fall downstairs and your phone is upstairs, keep a couple of old, charged cell phones throughout your house.

Ray

• Like 13

Both of today's meals sound delish. The drink of the day, not so much. The wine seems good if not too sweet.

Saw Cape Canaveral and the space station when we did a week long time share stay at Disney World.

I am from New Mexico origionally and we alway's pronounced it pacon. My parents had 5 pecon trees in their yard and my mother used pecons in all of her baked goods and in stuffing and in her jello dishes. And always for every birthday or holiday there was pecon pie. I still like pecons but pecon pie is definitely not my favorite.

Jane

• Like 10

The unofficial state sandwiches of Iowa the pork tenderloins and Maid-Rites®. I am not a fan of either. The Maid-Rite is a loose ground beef sandwich that is inferior to a homemade sloppy joe. I suspect that most pork tenderloin sandwiches are made not from tenderloins, but from tenderized pork loins. It is hard to believe I do not like something that is breaded and deep fat fried.

The Iowa pork tenderloin is similar to Wiener Schnitzel, except it is not veal and it is not deep fried in butter. I'm not a fan of Wiener Schnitzel, either. We enjoyed an all white dinner of scallops, potato and cauliflower.

Last song on my iPod's random play: Palomino Hop (Live) by Big Jay McNeely.

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Thank you for that tip! He will certainly give it a try. It may or may not work, but nothing ventured, nothing gained!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, USN59-79 said:

There is another reason to keep old cell phones.  Even though they are not connected to a carrier, they can still be used to call 911, as long as the battery is charged.  You won't get a call back or provide location data, though.  If you live alone and there is a chance that you could fall downstairs and your phone is upstairs, keep a couple of old, charged cell phones throughout your house.

Ray

Clever!!!  I didn’t know that, thanks 🙂 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

For the record, I pronounce this nut “pi-cahn”. I am originally from Massachusetts. 

And here is pee-can.  Phonetically.  Of course we also still use the u in colour and honour 😉 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1