No more cruises with NCL. Mandatory Vaccines?

BIG POOCH

6 minutes ago, GOTTODOIT said:

I certainly won't be cruising with you or any others who have such negative attitudes to the well being of yourself and of fellow cruisers,  Good on NCL putting in such a policy,  you don't want to have the vaccine that is your prerogative and fortunately here in Australia we will not be seeing you here or any others who choose not to be vaccinated.  You won't be flying on any airline into Australia without a vaccination certificate,  Alan Joyce, CEO of Qantas has said No Vaccination, No Flying, 

Trailfinders and other UK travel agents have already stated they will put their unvaccinated customers on other airlines if Qantas introduces this requirement without government mandated vaccination rules.

In the UK vaccination to fly is not seen as a big issue by the airlines but the requirement to have  expensive covid test flying out and back into the country adding about £1000 to your flights or holiday for a family of 4 is seen as a big issue.

42 minutes ago, nomad098 said:

Trailfinders and other UK travel agents have already stated they will put their unvaccinated customers on other airlines if Qantas introduces this requirement without government mandated vaccination rules.

In the UK vaccination to fly is not seen as a big issue by the airlines but the requirement to have  expensive covid test flying out and back into the country adding about £1000 to your flights or holiday for a family of 4 is seen as a big issue.

If they put unvaccinated customers on other airlines they will still not be allowed to enter Australia.

The government is looking at making Singapore the entry hub to Australia and everyone will have to show a negative result on testing in Singapore before boarding.  Anyone coming to australia and all returning citizens currently have a 2 week mandatory hotel quarantine, paid for by the traveller, with further testing when arriving in Australia and on a daily basis whilst in quarantine. Incoming passengers are bused directly to the quarantine hotel from the airport.  Doesn't matter where you land in australia, all cities have quarantine hotels and there is no exception.

There is also talk that everywhere we go, restuarants, hotels, etc in the future will require proof of vaccination. 

11 minutes ago, GOTTODOIT said:

If they put unvaccinated customers on other airlines they will still not be allowed to enter Australia.

The government is looking at making Singapore the entry hub to Australia and everyone will have to show a negative result on testing in Singapore before boarding.  Anyone coming to australia and all returning citizens currently have a 2 week mandatory hotel quarantine, paid for by the traveller, with further testing when arriving in Australia and on a daily basis whilst in quarantine. Incoming passengers are bused directly to the quarantine hotel from the airport.  Doesn't matter where you land in australia, all cities have quarantine hotels and there is no exception.

There is also talk that everywhere we go, restuarants, hotels, etc in the future will require proof of vaccination. 

It shows how the world has changed it was not so long ago that the airlines were so excited about non stop flights from the UK to Australia

The UK were late introducing a covid hotel system here but it seems to modeled on the Australian model.

Talk here of a domestic vaccine passport but after a resounding no from publicans, restaurant owners and hoteliers , the opposition parties and a fair number of the government threatened to vote it down which would lead to a government defeat, all has gone quite.

Though a vaccination passport to travel seems to be well supported.

16 minutes ago, nomad098 said:

It shows how the world has changed it was not so long ago that the airlines were so excited about non stop flights from the UK to Australia

The UK were late introducing a covid hotel system here but it seems to modeled on the Australian model.

Talk here of a domestic vaccine passport but after a resounding no from publicans, restaurant owners and hoteliers , the opposition parties and a fair number of the government threatened to vote it down which would lead to a government defeat, all has gone quite.

Though a vaccination passport to travel seems to be well supported.

Yes, how our lives have changed. Our government has been very successful in containing the virus with lock downs, quarantine etc. from March last year. We had a 3 day snap lock down for all of Brisbane before Easter because we had a cluster developing caused by a returning aussie from India who was in the Princess Alexandra hospital but the virus was transmitted to a nurse and a doctor.

Australians love travelling and one thing positive is that we are now travelling within Australia. A travel bubble has opened this week with New Zealand but it could close any moment if there is a new case. So no-one is keen to go as we could get caught in NZ if the border closes.  The tourism industry has been decimated with no international travellers and we are being encouraged to get out and see Australia.  So we have booked a trip on the Ghan train through the middle of australia, from Adelaide to Darwin with a week in Alice Springs to see Uluru etc. The Ghan is the longest passenger train in the world.  Caravan sales have gone through the roof.

I retired, looking forward to travelling and cruising, but haven't been anywhere.  I have had 6 cruises cancelled so far. 

Can only be hopeful for the future

3 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

if one has the vaccine, then why do they still need to use precautions such as face masks and social distancing? And if the vaccine protects those who have it then why does it matter if I choose not to get it? I don't ever get the flu shot but I certainly don't fault those who do.  If I get the flu and they don't then that's on me and my decision.  I've had the MMR vaccine, polio, hepatitis, etc...once vaccinated, I am protected from those illnesses.  Why is this vaccine different?  All rhetorical questions...

Vaccination is not 100% effective in all people. We still don't even know the minimum antibody level required to deem immune status. If you get an antibody test for measles/rubella/varicella/mumps - it comes back with your titer level and the status of either "immune", "non-immune" or "equivocal". When you get a Covid-19 antibody test, it doesn't say that - because currently no one knows yet. It just tells you whether you have antibodies present or not.

People who choose to not get the vaccinate are not only hurting themselves - they are hurting others who either cannot receive the vaccines, or whose bodies do not produce the desired immune response to protect them. So again, you're not just getting it to protect yourself, but to help protect all members of society.

For example, I am not immune to measles. I received my 3 doses as a child, got retested for my titer levels as an adult before I could work in a hospital and found out I wasn't immune. Got 2 additional booster shots, and I'm still not immune to measles. I rely on my fellow human beings to help protect me from breaking out in spots like a leopard. 

But if you get it, you are protected, right?  So why does it matter if I'm not protected?  Much like the flu vaccine.  With a 99.78% recovery rate for someone like myself who has no premorbidities, I'll take my chances w/o the vaccine...It should be a choice, like everything else.

It's not just about you - it's about the people you could spread it to who do have pre-morbidities or a poor immune system and can't fight it off. Just because it won't harm you, if you spread it to others it will harm them.

Would like to see your source for this.  Thanks.

See your own words above. You flat out said you would be protected, or you wouldn't become ill because you don't have conditions that put you at high risk. No thought what so ever for the folks who are not as healthy as you, that you would potentially be spreading it to.

2 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Nobody should every be forced to put something into their body just so they can participate in society. 

No one's forcing you to get it. But you equally can't force companies to accept you on their cruise ships if you don't want to follow their rules. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

But if you get it, you are protected, right?  So why does it matter if I'm not protected? 

Let's see if this will help.  You know the saying that a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link?  Those people that wish to cruise without being vaccinated are the proverbial weakest link.  If having unvaccinated adults on a cruise increases the chance of someone getting Covid by 1%, that is 1% too much. 

This is all a short term thing anyway and is fluid and thus things could change within the year if not sooner.  

• Like 4

10 hours ago, nomad098 said:

Only because it's being extremely exaggerated in the press like the Daily Fail which gullible people are sucked into, all the main UK airports are doing £60 PCR test and Cyprus for example are doing Є40 tests (Grease Є50) making the cost £380 for the return journey for 4 people to Cyprus.

11 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Totally fine with that, my friend.  Cheers!

Just wondering how anyone could be "totally fine with" not having the ability to travel to another country and not have the ability to gain entry to said country? Personally, I would not be fine with that, even if I never had plans to go to that country.

I'm thankful that I'm fully vaccinated and will not ever be faced with not having the ability to do what ever in life I may want to do such as travel. I'm also thankful I'm not fearful of the vaccines. I think that would be mentally "crippling" if I were fearful of something that can give us all our normal lives back. I want to cruise again. I will be able to do that.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

Only because it's being extremely exaggerated in the press like the Daily Fail which gullible people are sucked into, all the main UK airports are doing £60 PCR test and Cyprus for example are doing Є40 tests (Grease Є50) making the cost £380 for the return journey for 4 people to Cyprus.

Actually it all depends, which test, which airport, what destination, how long you need be in quarantine, do you want to pay to get tested to get out of quarantine earlier and whole range of factors.

Gatwick recently dropped the price of the PCR test to £60 for drive through

Cardiff Airport last price I seen was £155 just checking now best price I can find is "From £99" dependent on how quick you need it back and some labs are charging between £125 - £175

Some of the cost of testing comes in way over a £1000 some come back cheaper

BA recommended one from Heathrow "From £99" or at some of their labs £166 

Under the present rules you need to have a test to fly out, a test to fly in, pre-book a 2 and 8 day test ( Gatwick pricing at their drive through £189) and pay privately for a 5 day early release.

So based on Gatwick £60 + £189 plus cost in destination  more than £1000 for a family of 4 under current rules

Only the gullible fail to read all the rules and regulations 

https://www.gatwickairport.com/at-the-airport/coronavirus/covid-testing/

Edited by nomad098
Changed or for and for accuracy

18 minutes ago, nomad098 said:

Actually it all depends, which test, which airport, what destination, how long you need be in quarantine, do you want to pay to get tested to get out of quarantine earlier and whole range of factors.

Cardiff Airport last price I seen was £155 just checking now best price I can find is "From £99" dependent on how quick you need it back and some labs are charging between £125 - £175

Under the present rules you need to have a test to fly out, a test to fly in, pre-book a 2 and 8 day test ( Gatwick pricing at their drive through £189) or pay privately for a 5 day early release.

So based on Gatwick £60 + £189 plus cost in destination  more than £1000 for a family of 4 under current rules

Except you can have it done in the comfort of you own home for just £72 via post with Randox health, so all that is nonsense.

https://www.randoxhealth.com/covid-19-home-testing-kit/
using code eJh2021

That's £72 + Є40 per person using Cyprus as an example.

And when its made even more sensational by using "family of four" most countries don't even need a test for a child (under 8/12) to fly.

Edited by ziggyuk

2 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

Except you can have it done in the comfort of you own home for just £72 via post with Randox health
£72 so all that is nonsense.

https://www.randoxhea
lth.com/covid-19-home-testing-kit/
using code eJh2021

That's £72 + Є40 per person using Cyprus as an example.

And when its made even more sensational by using "family of four" most countries don't even need a test for a child to fly.

You seem to be completely misunderstanding the rules as they stand now for travel so let me break it down for you using your example

Fit to fly cost = £72 + postage and packaging

Cyprus cost = £34.72 (40 Euros)

Legally required 2+8 Day test Gatwick price at their drive through center = £189

Price per required person = £295.72 + postage and packaging

The best price I have seen is from Gatwick £283.72

For my family of 4 with 2 teenage boys £1,134.88 and it rises from there depending on the airport or services you use.

If you want to be released early from mandatory home quarantine from day 5 cost between £100 - £175 based on a private provider recognised by UK government

However Gatwick is offering a combo package 2+8 testing and 5 day early release £249

Test requirements are based on age in some countries it's 11 and in others it is 6 like Spain.

You seem to have missed the rules for flying back into the UK on page 2 of the link I posted so here it is

Travelling to the UK

Anyone arriving into England from outside the UK, Ireland the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands must:

• quarantine for 10 days*
  • take a Covid-19 test on day 2 and day 8 of quarantine
  • follow the national lockdown rules

*If you arrive from or have travelled through a country on the UK Government Red List in the 10 days before travel then you must complete a mandatory hotel quarantine. All other arrivals must quarantine at home.

Different rules apply in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. You must follow the rules of your end destination.

Are you arriving from a country on the Red List? Check here

NON-RED LIST COUNTRIES

BEFORE YOU ARRIVE

ExpressTest meets the Government testing requirements and offers a PCR arrivals test package for Day 2 and Day 8 testing at their Gatwick drive through facility in the South Terminal car park. Available to pre-book now for £189pp.

WHEN YOU ARRIVE

• Go directly to the place you are staying to home quarantine.
  • Quarantine at home for 10 days.
  • Take a COVID-19 test on day 2 and day 8 of your 10-day quarantine, using your pre-booked testing package.
  • The NHS Test and Trace will contact you with your COVID-19 test results.
  • Optional - After 5 days, take a private paid test as part of the Test to Release Scheme, more details can be found below.

OPTIONAL - TEST TO RELEASE SCHEME

You can take a private paid test 5 full days after arriving from an approved provider. If your result is negative, you can leave quarantine. The scheme is voluntary and only applies to those self-isolating in England. You cannot take a test on arrival or earlier than 5 days. 

Find out more information about the scheme 

To take part:

• Book a test before you travel with a provider on the Government approved providers list. This list is regularly updated by the Government and includes providers based at Gatwick.
  • Opt into the scheme when you complete your Passenger Locator form before you arrive in the UK.

Facilities available at Gatwick - 

EXPRESSTEST

This drive through facility is located in the South Terminal Long Stay Car Park, offering a PCR swab test and is on the approved list of Test and Release providers.

Find out more and book a test

Pre-book a combined arrivals testing package with ExpressTest for a discounted price of £249. This includes the Day 2 & Day 8 tests, alongside test to release.

55 minutes ago, nomad098 said:

Under the present rules you need to have a test to fly out, a test to fly in, pre-book a 2 and 8 day test ( Gatwick pricing at their drive through £189) and pay privately for a 5 day early release.

So if you need a test to board a ship in Southampton would NCL or whatever cruise line provide that test? Or would you have to pay yourself? And what in New York we are doing 3 ship package in November with days on land in NYC. Will we have to pay for a test in NYC and how much would it cost?

1 minute ago, ace2542 said:

So if you need a test to board a ship in Southampton would NCL or whatever cruise line provide that test? Or would you have to pay yourself? And what in New York we are doing 3 ship package in November with days on land in NYC. Will we have to pay for a test in NYC and how much would it cost?

The rules as they stand now and obviously they can change in the future

Cruise lines are covering the cost of UK only cruises out of Southampton.

US at the moment are on the "red list" it is expected to change later this year.

So based on current requirements and assuming US goes on the green list costs would be

Fit to Fly + 2 and 8 day test around the £249 based on Gatwick pricing

If you do not fly back within 24hrs of leaving the last ship you will have to pay for a test to travel to the UK

Unsure of any US related costs our American friends would know more than me.

24 minutes ago, nomad098 said:

You seem to be completely misunderstanding the rules as they stand now for travel so let me break it down for you using your example

Fit to fly cost = £72 + postage and packaging

Cyprus cost = £34.72 (40 Euros)

Legally required 2+8 Day test Gatwick price at their drive through center = £189

Price per required person = £295.72 + postage and packaging

The best price I have seen is from Gatwick £283.72

For my family of 4 with 2 teenage boys £1,134.88 and it rises from there depending on the airport or services you use.

If you want to be released early from mandatory home quarantine from day 5 cost between £100 - £175 based on a private provider recognised by UK government

However Gatwick is offering a combo package 2+8 testing and 5 day early release £249

Test requirements are based on age in some countries it's 11 and in others it is 6 like Spain.

You seem to have missed the rules for flying back into the UK on page 2 of the link I posted so here it is

Travelling to the UK

Anyone arriving into England from outside the UK, Ireland the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands must:

• quarantine for 10 days*
  • take a Covid-19 test on day 2 and day 8 of quarantine
  • follow the national lockdown rules

*If you arrive from or have travelled through a country on the UK Government Red List in the 10 days before travel then you must complete a mandatory hotel quarantine. All other arrivals must quarantine at home.

Different rules apply in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. You must follow the rules of your end destination.

Are you arriving from a country on the Red List? Check here

NON-RED LIST COUNTRIES

BEFORE YOU ARRIVE

ExpressTest meets the Government testing requirements and offers a PCR arrivals test package for Day 2 and Day 8 testing at their Gatwick drive through facility in the South Terminal car park. Available to pre-book now for £189pp.

WHEN YOU ARRIVE

• Go directly to the place you are staying to home quarantine.
  • Quarantine at home for 10 days.
  • Take a COVID-19 test on day 2 and day 8 of your 10-day quarantine, using your pre-booked testing package.
  • The NHS Test and Trace will contact you with your COVID-19 test results.
  • Optional - After 5 days, take a private paid test as part of the Test to Release Scheme, more details can be found below.

OPTIONAL - TEST TO RELEASE SCHEME

You can take a private paid test 5 full days after arriving from an approved provider. If your result is negative, you can leave quarantine. The scheme is voluntary and only applies to those self-isolating in England. You cannot take a test on arrival or earlier than 5 days. 

Find out more information about the scheme 

To take part:

• Book a test before you travel with a provider on the Government approved providers list. This list is regularly updated by the Government and includes providers based at Gatwick.
  • Opt into the scheme when you complete your Passenger Locator form before you arrive in the UK.

Facilities available at Gatwick - 

EXPRESSTEST

This drive through facility is located in the South Terminal Long Stay Car Park, offering a PCR swab test and is on the approved list of Test and Release providers.

Find out more and book a test

Pre-book a combined arrivals testing package with ExpressTest for a discounted price of £249. This includes the Day 2 & Day 8 tests, alongside test to release.

Don't be ridiculous, you know as well as I do you are not allowed to fly internationally from the UK right now without good reason, you started this by making the difference travelling vaccinated or PCR testing.

I quote your original post I responded to "Adding about £1000 to your flights or holiday for a family of 4"

If you were in fact talking about now, you know full well a family of 4 can't currently legally go on holiday outside the UK.

It is obvious the pricing I was suggesting was for those wanting to fly once things open after 17th May and in response to your very specific example.

Why on earth would anyone be interested the way things are now, we are talking about a family of four going on holiday.

Anything can be sensationalised and you are clearly a master.

Edited by ziggyuk
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

People who choose to not get the vaccinate are not only hurting themselves - they are hurting others who either cannot receive the vaccines, or whose bodies do not produce the desired immune response to protect them. So again, you're not just getting it to protect yourself, but to help protect all members of society.

You are parroting a MSM narrative, not science.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ziggyuk said:

Don't be ridiculous, you know as well as I do you are not allowed to fly internationally from the UK right now without good reason, you started this by making the difference travelling vaccinated or PCR testing.

I quote your original post I responded to "Adding about £1000 to your flights or holiday for a family of 4"

If you were in fact talking about now, you know full well a family of 4 can't currently legally go on holiday outside the UK.

It is obvious the pricing I was suggesting was for those wanting to fly once things open after 17th May and in response to you very specific example.

Why on earth would anyone be interested the way things are now, we are talking about a family of four going on holiday.

Anything can be sensationalised and you are clearly a master.

Why is there a mandatory 10 day quarantine period even for vaccinated people at the moment, this is because of the risk of importing covid variants, do you think that the risk of importing variants suddenly disappears on the 17th of May or anytime in the near to medium future.

The Government scientists all seem to agree that cases increased in the Autumn due to international travel in the summer do you think they will just ignore this come the summer?

I do expect the costs to come down and the rules to change however this is not a certainty and we can only deal with the facts as they are not how we would wish them to be.

6 minutes ago, nomad098 said:

Why is there a mandatory 10 day quarantine period even for vaccinated people at the moment, this is because of the risk of importing covid variants, do you think that the risk of importing variants suddenly disappears on the 17th of May or anytime in the near to medium future.

The Government scientists all seem to agree that cases increased in the Autumn due to international travel in the summer do you think they will just ignore this come the summer?

I do expect the costs to come down and the rules to change however this is not a certainty and we can only deal with the facts as they are not how we would wish them to be.

You were the one talking about a family of 4 going on HOLIDAY, make up your mind!
The beginnings of the traffic light system are already there.

Edited by ziggyuk

Why is this even a controversy?  If you're vaccinated, your chances of getting infected are almost nill, as are the chances of you infecting others.  If you're not vaccinated, you can infect others if you board infected or become infected during the cruise.  And, in doing so, you infect others. Other than an all-night rave with drunk and drugged out-people, name one other venue worse than a cruise ship for spreading a virus.  And if you think it's not a big deal to become infected or infect others, kindly keep you opinions to yourself.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

You were the one talking about a family of 4 going on HOLIDAY, make up your mind!
The beginnings of the traffic light system are already there.

Here you go a easily understood explanation of the traffic light system as we know it now:

https://news.sky.com/story/how-will-the-traffic-light-system-for-international-travel-work-and-will-tests-get-any-cheaper-12269883

Green list countries minimum and maximum known testing costs for required testing are between £120 - £350 plus cost of test at destination to fly home per required person

Amber list countries would be similar to costs currently incurred for travelling now

Red list countries same as Amber countries plus £1750 pre payable for hotel.

The travel industry are pushing to have these costs reduced

As I am aware now, from information released, the cost on top of my holiday to a green list country could range anywhere between £600 minimum and £1000+ depending on various factors such as service providers and airport.

According to your figures the minimum I would need to pay is £726.88 + postage to visit a green list country, approximately a 14.5% increase for a £5000 cruise holiday but a 72.5% increase in a cheap £1000 apartment holiday.

3 minutes ago, nomad098 said:

Here you go a easily understood explanation of the traffic light system as we know it now:

https://news.sky.com/story/how-will-the-traffic-light-system-for-international-travel-work-and-will-tests-get-any-cheaper-12269883

Green list countries minimum and maximum known testing costs for required testing are between £120 - £350 plus cost of test at destination to fly home per required person

Amber list countries would be similar to costs currently incurred for travelling now

Red list countries same as Amber countries plus £1750 pre payable for hotel.

The travel industry are pushing to have these costs reduced

As I am aware now, from information released, the cost on top of my holiday to a green list country could range anywhere between £600 minimum and £1000+ depending on various factors such as service providers and airport.

According to your figures the minimum I would need to pay is £726.88 + postage to visit a green list country, approximately a 14.5% increase for a £5000 cruise holiday but a 72.5% increase in a cheap £1000 apartment holiday.

Give your droning on a rest, you cant even stay on the same subject you started, I really can't be bothered to read more twisted nonsense that suits your agenda.

Edited by ziggyuk

5 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

Give your droning on a rest, you cant even stay on the same subject you started, I really can't be bothered to read more twisted nonsense that suits your agenda.

Your right you cannot use facts to teach some people

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

You are parroting a MSM narrative, not science.

Funny, seeing as how I actually am a scientist from a real university, masters degree and all. Plus, I already explained that I am not immune to measles and need to rely on others being vaccinated to protect me from getting it myself. But whatever, guys my diploma came out of the same cracker jack box as yours. My parents will be pissed when they find out considering how much it cost in student loans.

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

Funny, seeing as how I actually am a scientist from a real university, masters degree and all. Plus, I already explained that I am not immune to measles and need to rely on others being vaccinated to protect me from getting it myself. But whatever, guys my diploma came out of the same cracker jack box as yours. My parents will be pissed when they find out considering how much it cost in student loans.

I wouldn’t even bother . If she doesn’t understand the vaccine and masking now, nothing you say as a scientist will matter. She is convinced based on what she watches on YouTube and what her friend’s sister’s neighbor who knows this guy who talked to a woman at the grocery store who’s niece heard something at her job from a co-worker so it must be true. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1