No more cruises with NCL. Mandatory Vaccines?

BIG POOCH

Enjoy what ever cruise you choose to go on.  Choose any brand you feel supports you values.  Comment on any subject that you feel strongly about.  I will do the same.  I will be cruising on NCL.  I also have a cruise on Crystal.  I will be going on both of these cruise with the understanding I HAVE to have a vaccine.  My choice and I would not have it any other way.  That is what cruise critic is all about.  Cruise Well. 

• Like 6

Perhaps in the future a serology report will be enough, or the lines will find a way to do instant tests for antibodies prior to boarding. For me personally, I don’t care how someone acquires immunity, as long as they have it, but for now, proof of vaccination against covid really seems like the only way for cruises to proceed. Time is of the essence.

I respect an individual’s right to make his/her own decision about this, or any other vaccine, but I am also a pragmatist, and I can’t see any way around a required covid vaccine for cruises for now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KnowTheScore said:

.................People are so hung up about this fantasy nirvana that vaccines are somehow magical and stop all Covid.  They just don't.   There's far more than just people on a cruise ship.  The virus lives on various surfaces for many days.  Coronaviruses can survive in your freezer for up to 2 years !   The ship will be loading pallets and pallets of food and other things on-board, all of which could easily be contaminated with the virus.   Every surface is potentially contaminated.    People's luggage will be contaminated.  

Any way you cut it the virus simply IS going to end up on cruise ships, there is simply no way they can possibly stop it.   Just like there was always Norovirus on ships. 

You just cooked you own goose with this post. If the virus is going to be EVERYWHERE as you claim, all the more reason to be vaccinated and all the more reason for cruise lines to mandate everyone on board be vaccinated.

I do understand your point about a segment of our population that have acquired natural immunity. The problem with that is how to verify a person has had Covid if they were never tested or hospitalized and most importantly, the level of immunity a person has at the time of embarkation. That is maybe something the cruise lines can address but give them time. Right now, the cruise lines have a specific criteria that can be absolute and common ground for all those on board. They have specified that the person vaccinated must be vaccinated at least two weeks prior to embarkation. That is easy to verify to allow boarding. Attempting to verify a level of immunity for someone who claims to have had Covid or even if they have medical records to prove they had Covid, may be a grey line, not absolute and with no common ground, so to speak.

Many things you do say are off the wall and turn me off to what you have to say so there is that. Good luck with your passion to "educate" the masses to your sometimes wacky theories.

Edited by coffeebean
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, KnowTheScore said:

Oh you'd be surprised what's involved I think which is why the European Union is already looking at it from the same perspective that I do, which is that it is immoral and unethical to discriminate the naturally immune people and is fraught with legal and political problems.

This is an article about the EU's thoughts on Vaccine Passporting.

https://112.international/society/eus-vaccine-passports-to-be-valid-only-with-ema-approved-jabs-59717.html

The first thing you notice is their usual crafty attempts to leverage control in any given situation by maintaining their own "EU list" of approved vaccines and that any passporting would mandate that the vaccine you had was one of the 4 or 5 on their list.  That gives them good bargaining power with Pharma manufacturers who will want to be on that list.  But the important statement is lower down were it states:

"European Commission president Ursula von der Leyen has said it would be technically possible to develop a "green pass" within about three months using data indicating whether a person has been vaccinated, tested negative, or is immune after contracting the disease, but that many political issues must first be resolved"

This is for me a very clear indication that they know that they simply CAN NOT discriminate and that they MUST give equal standing to people who are either COVID NEGATIVE or who have natural immunity.

I mean it's common sense of course to the rational people but not to the pearl clutching vaccinated who want to label everyone else as the "great unclean"!

This is what is being missed in this debate, namely that cruise lines cannot simply ignore the law.

Everyone is aware that the major stumbling block to US cruises is the CDC, because it has jurisdiction in the United States. Well, in Europe they have their own regulatory bodies, and if an EU-wide mandate says that cruise lines MUST accept the vaccinated AND THOSE WHO'VE RECOVERED from Covid, then they either accept that rule and abide by it, or they don't sail. And lose lots of money. I'm vaccinated but if the EU requires that cruise lines accept people with other kinds of immunity, then as the saying goes, "them's the rules."

The rules are the rules.  No COVID vaccination, no cruising....at least for the foreseeable future. Everything else is just noise.

Don’t like the requirements, no one who complies with them really cares, because you won’t be on our ship.

I do wonder, however, what the motivation is for the (very) few who are so vehemently opposed regarding us getting the COVID vaccine?

No matter.  There are always the ones at the party we all steer clear of so we don’t have to engage into a dialog with them.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, graphicguy said:

The rules are the rules.  No COVID vaccination, no cruising....at least for the foreseeable future. Everything else is just noise.

I do wonder, however, what the motivation is for the (very) few who are so vehement about us getting the COVID vaccine?

No matter.  There are always the ones at the party we all steer clear of so we don’t have to engage into a dialog with them.

Well said, I thought I was on the Reddit.com cruise board for a few second on this thread.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Here's a link to a recent bit of research you may find interesting.  It underscores several of the misgivings I have for the mRNA vaccine.  At the risk of being "selfish" and I have been accused of here today, perhaps some will find it helpful in their journey for information.

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.12.12.422516v1.full.pdf

I'll be honest. I just quickly scrolled through the abstract and I have a headache from looking at that. I do not, never have ever had a scientific mind. That's why I leave stuff like this abstract to the scientists to decipher. I truly appreciate those men and woman who have devoted their professional lives to science.

After a while, on social media, when someone is simply wasting your time.  You have an option. Ignore them.  Shame it has to come to that but some folks have to write books one a site that is about enjoying cruising.  

• Like 8

No one knows how long natural immunity lasts, the CDC states they don’t know how long it lasts. They also don’t know how l g the vaccine lasts, I’m guessing we will need boosters yearly but who knows. In a couple of months I’m no longer counting on my natural immunity and will get the vaccine.

Pro Tip:   How to put another poster on "Ignore".

Simply go to one of their posts within a thread, hover your cursor above their username, click on "Ignore User".

Easy to do and works well.   That saves you getting tired eyes from rolling them all the time.  🙂

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

Simply go to one of their posts within a thread, hover your cursor above their username, click on "Ignore User".

Easy to do and works well.   That saves you getting tired eyes from rolling them all the time.  🙂

Method #2: Go to the upper right hand corner of the page where your user name is located.  Pull the arrow down.  Click Ignore. Put the posters user name in and click all the things you want to ignore.  I can tell you, it works perfect. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

Method #2: Go to the upper right hand corner of the page where your user name is located.  Pull the arrow down.  Click Ignore. Put the posters user name in and click all the things you want to ignore.  I can tell you, it works perfect. 

Not quite perfect.  I still have to endure seeing their posts if somebody else  who is not on the ignore list quotes them in their post.  Obviously, I don’t want to ignore everybody just to target a few individuals.  I take my chances!

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, KnowTheScore said:

What a bizarre statement to make.  

Not at all.  You continually state that natural immunity is better.  And that covid itself isn't that big of a deal for most.   I had mumps and chickenpox as a child and I survived - those diseases are generally mild in children but not so in adults.  

Plus if requiring vaccine vs natural immunity is discrimination, isn't requiring immunity at all just as discriminatory?  

• Like 3

On 4/6/2021 at 7:50 AM, roger001 said:

As stated several time before, a vaccine requirement FOR NOW is about the only way these cruise ships will ever start sailing again, FOR NOW.  However, as the virus situation improves, and it has a long way to go in many countries, and the majority of folks have elected to be vaccinated, which then brings down the risk to a manageable level, then I will speculate that the vaccinated requirement, and mask requirement, will be history, just a bad memory.  But for now, if you're not vaccinated, it sounds like you won't be sailing, FOR NOW.  It almost sounds like the non vaccinated are whining, "It's not fair. If we can't go, we don't want anyone to go."   My opinion.

On 4/6/2021 at 8:08 AM, Goldconnection said:

I agree

On 4/6/2021 at 8:08 AM, Goldconnection said:

I agree

Don't hold your breath.  Models indicate we will be dealing with Covid for at least 20 years.  To weaken it we need high levels of vaccination.   The viruses that survive over time are the ones that do not kill their host.   We just need to adapt, and over time we will have a new normal closer to the old normal.  We were 30-60 day a year cruisers, but will not ever sail on a ship that does not have a strict vaccination policy that include all children.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

After a while, on social media, when someone is simply wasting your time.  You have an option. Ignore them.  Shame it has to come to that but some folks have to write books one a site that is about enjoying cruising.  

Problem is, those "ignored" posters' remarks still show up when other posters quote the ignored user. 🙃

4 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

Problem is, those "ignored" posters' remarks still show up when other posters quote the ignored user. 🙃

You can ignore those, too. It's on the page for ignored users, you can exclude times they were quoted by others.

Just now, DCGuy64 said:

This is what it looks like when you pull up an ignored user. You can choose to ignore the person in all 4 categories or just the ones you want to.

• Mentions
  • Signature
  •  

Even mentions. That is great. Thanks.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

This is what it looks like when you pull up an ignored user. You can choose to ignore the person in all 4 categories or just the ones you want to.

• Mentions
  • Signature
  •  

But you’ll still see an ignored user’s post if somebody else quotes it in their post.

1 hour ago, ColeThornton said:

Thanks, just did that!  Tired of rolling my eyes.  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, coffeebean said:

I'll be honest. I just quickly scrolled through the abstract and I have a headache from looking at that. I do not, never have ever had a scientific mind. That's why I leave stuff like this abstract to the scientists to decipher. I truly appreciate those men and woman who have devoted their professional lives to science.

I know...it's not light reading by any stretch.  Fortunately, I'm married to a doctor and he helped me weed though it all.