No more cruises with NCL. Mandatory Vaccines?

BIG POOCH

3 minutes ago, farmersfight said:

I wonder; what if the covid vaccine is like the flu vaccine and has to be administered every year (and to address cocid variants)?

I would venture to say based on the science I have read that it absolutely will require boosters, we just don't yet have data as to how often.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, BIG POOCH said:

With the reports of them requiring vaccinations, we will never be cruising on NCL again.  Hope they realize just how much this is going to hurt their business even more than it already has been.

See ya

I've been saying this since last year. Cruise will will definitely require vaccinations for the next several years. To me its no big deal, I've had a vaccine card for the last 40 years. I need to have to to go to some countries I've been to. I don't want to go on a cruise with anyone who is not vaccinated for Covid.......including kids 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

I had covid a month ago, first vaccine is tomorrow, the immunity from having covid is temporary.

I have heard people mention this before but have never seen any reports of large reinfections. I don't see how antibodies from a dead virus made in a lab would be better than your body naturally creating due to infection. If the immunity is temporary get ready for annual covid shots.

6 minutes ago, Inflatable_Catfish said:

I have heard people mention this before but have never seen any reports of large reinfections. I don't see how antibodies from a dead virus made in a lab would be better than your body naturally creating due to infection. If the immunity is temporary get ready for annual covid shots.

One of my kids tested positive in the fall (asymptotic) after being in contact with someone who tested positive, and tested positive (with symptoms) last month. Every healthcare worker I’ve talked to said that it is believed immunity doesn’t last, but you can consider yourself pretty safe the first 3 months.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

One of my kids tested positive in the fall (asymptotic) after being in contact with someone who tested positive, and tested positive (with symptoms) last month. Every healthcare worker I’ve talked to said that it is believed immunity doesn’t last, but you can consider yourself pretty safe the first 3 months.

The fact is nobody knows how long immunity will last. Three months, 6 month 5 - 10 years. 

Please keep in mind the vaccine is not bullet proof for Not getting Covid. Lots of us who have the vaccine will probably end up getting it. The difference is we probably won't know we have it unless we get tested. The vaccines are designed to lesson the severity if and when we do get it

• Like 3

6 hours ago, BIG POOCH said:

With the reports of them requiring vaccinations, we will never be cruising on NCL again.  Hope they realize just how much this is going to hurt their business even more than it already has been.

This screams “I need attention!” 😆😆😆

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

I am not a big fan of NCL . They are always the first to figure out a way of monetizing whatever was previously free . BUT they are also innovative in good ways and willing to react first to situations.  This is one of those situations . Good for them !

Edited by richstowe
  • Like 6

53 minutes ago, farmersfight said:

I wonder; what if the covid vaccine is like the flu vaccine and has to be administered every year (and to address cocid variants)?

You may be right . And if it is , it is . I'll get an annual covid vaccine .

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, richstowe said:

Any word on when Canada is opening up? We have friends in Montreal who are hoping to meet us in Jackson New Hampshire the end of May

35 minutes ago, richstowe said:

Same here. What's one (or two) more "poke(s)" a year?

P.S. Love your Montreal Expos avatar btw.

Edited by farmersfight
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, BIG POOCH said:

Hope they realize just how much this is going to hurt their business.

It won't hurt them at all, they lose a few high risk customers but gain lots of low risk customers who would not have cruised unless there was a vaccine requirement.

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Any word on when Canada is opening up? We have friends in Montreal who are hoping to meet us in Jackson New Hampshire the end of May

We'll open up when Trudeau our "leader" figures he can get one more vote by opening up then by keeping things closed . Most Canadian smugly believe our Government was more responsible then yours in dealing with Covid . Meanwhile 60 year old's here are are still waiting for their first shot and others. like me, have a wait of 100 day between shots . Our government proudly proclaims

"Options to buy more

Under current agreements, the government could buy more than 400 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines if all vaccines are approved and all options in the agreements are exercised. So far, the Johnson & Johnson, AstraZeneca, Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech vaccines have Health Canada regulatory approval." in a statement which translates to about 11 shots or 5 and a half doses per person in a vain attempt to get some vaccines . Pathetic . https://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/comm/aic-scr/ententes-agreements-strat-eng.html

Edited by richstowe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, richstowe said:

We'll open up when Trudeau our "leader" figures he can get one more vote by opening up then by keeping things closed . Most Canadian smugly believe our Government was more responsible then yours in dealing with Covid . Meanwhile 60 year old's here are are still waiting for their first shot and others. like me, have a wait of 100 day between shots . Our government proudly proclaims

"Options to buy more

Under current agreements, the government could buy more than 400 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines if all vaccines are approved and all options in the agreements are exercised. So far, the Johnson & Johnson, AstraZeneca, Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech vaccines have Health Canada regulatory approval." in a statement which translates to about 11 shots or 5 and a half doses per person in a vain attempt to get some vaccines . Pathetic . https://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/comm/aic-scr/ententes-agreements-strat-eng.html

Maybe they can visit us in September Lol

4 hours ago, nomad098 said:

Just out of curiosity if the CDC accepts NCL's proposal will NCL then immediately issue a refund for bookings and not a cruise credit to all those people that contact them who have bookings but cannot or will not have all their party vaccinated.

It took me nearly 100 days to get my NCL refund when they cancelled last March extremely unfair to make people wait that long again when the cruise company knowingly changes the requirement to cruise from the proposed date of 4th of July.

Before the NCL fanboys chime in 14 days is the maximum amount of time it should take to issue a refund, last year was unusual this year they should be prepared. I know the US is different but here in the UK and in the EU 14 days is the legal requirement to issue a refund.

If NCL changes the rules they have a moral and legal duty to make it right with affected customers.

I agree that they have a moral and legal duty, I just don't know if they have any money.

54 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

I wouldn't count on the end of May.  July or August seems more reasonable.

Since your covid rates are falling and ours are rising it may be the U.S. that will keep the border closed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

I would guess that the first one was a false positive unless you had additional testing done. 

7 hours ago, BIG POOCH said:

When I read this, the first thing I thought of are those agitators who comply with a wearing a mask until they are seated on a plane. Then they make life hell for the flight crew and all the other passengers because everything must be done their way. Me, me, me.

Don't be shortsighted. NCL is trying to get sailing again. Eventually when CDC gives the all clear and kids start getting vaccines, you and yours will be welcome aboard. I bet all the mass market lines make a ton of money having families onboard.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BIG POOCH said:

Hello BIG POOCH, 

I can totally understand where you are coming from and in a way, can relate. I have cruised on NCL, and would love to again (we are not "big deals" with fancy gold stars near our names) but have had wonderful trips and would love to cruise again. That being said, I am not able to safely get this new vaccine and do not appreciate others knocking me nor insulting me because of it = YES, this would refer to anyone throwing shade onto others for whatever reason they chose to wait out the storm minus a non-FDA approved (except for emergency use) vaccine. 

I am hoping that in time, restrictions will be lifted for ALL people to travel and once again move about the countries. In the meantime, those who have decided to get the vaccine can travel and assume they are safe among their own kind when I know for a fact that immunity from COVID is not guaranteed even after being fully vaccinated. I do not place blame with NCL - businesses have been bled dry during this pandemic. This new policy is until 10/31/21 thus far. I have CruiseNext vouchers that we'd love to use eventually - but may never get that chance if the restrictions continue for years.  

Maybe we will cruise again, maybe not. If not, that's okay because we have seen the beauty of other wonderous places and as long as we are together (DH and I), then we are happy. It certainly would not be the end of my world - it's just not that detrimental to our lives and well-being. Just want you to know you are not alone in your feelings and to say ignore those who feel the need to knock you by calling you names, telling you that they are glad you won't be cruising with them, to vacation in the desert with other non-vaccinated people (that's rich. and shameful ), and other assorted condescending words of indignation. Not sure about you but I would not wish to be on a cruise, or any vacation, with those who treat others with such disrespect. I'm happy to sit this one out. Time will tell if we will cruise once again. If we do, I'd be absolutely fine if you were on the same ship.                  

• Like 3

A vaccine is no reason not to cruise.  Its rare to live through a pandemic since they happen about every 100 years.  Check your medical records.  You were vaccinated against various diseases such as polio, small pox, mump, measles, and even some for chicken pox.  I had the chicken pox in the mid 70s when there was not a vaccine. You have always needed vaccines to travel to exotic countries.  The vaccine protects yourself so its really silly to hang your hat on some misguided political debate.  

We have come this far, we are not going back to the Covid shutdown nightmares.  The unvaccinated are not going to ruin our cruises.  The vaccine mandate will be around for at least 2 years.  The only reason why people are not getting vaccinated is because they were told not to do so by some misguided political hack.

Sorry but vaccine mandates will not hurt business.  People are having the phones jammed trying to book cruises.   People want to feel safe and relax on their cruise. You can stay home and be miserable and wait for the next instructions from Dear Leader.

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, oteixeira said:

Here is the simple truth.  Pent up demand and FCCs of people willing to get the vaccine far exceed the loss of people not willing to get it in the short term.  Once the pandemic comes to an end they will drop the mandate since herd immunity will be in force (I hope) and then you can get back on.  Why do people feel everything has to be black or white in the world today.  There is plenty of grey to go around.

Bingo! With emphasis being placed on  "in the short term"...... there are simply too many unknowns to make long term predictions. This remains very fluid.

4 hours ago, farmersfight said:

It is currently only known to last at least 6 months--although that is two additional months than they knew two weeks ago when I checked: https://www.healthline.com/health-news/how-long-does-immunity-from-covid-19-vaccination-last . I'm needle phobic but will vaccinate to cruise (will slather Emla cream on my arms and get my tetanus too which also need to be updated and then drug up on benadryl and ibuprofen). Since my cruise is in January, I'll be waiting until at least August unless continuing studies show that it lasts longer.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sandebeach said:

Will vaccination be required for NCL August cruises out of Jamaica or out of DR?

Yes

Each guest must submit proof they have completed the full cycle of required doses for the vaccine administered at least 2 weeks prior to their sail date. Guests who are not old enough to be vaccinated or otherwise not eligible to be vaccinated will not be allowed on these sailings.

Guest vaccination requirements are currently for all sailings embarking through October 31, 2021 

https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe#sail-safe-faq

7 hours ago, latebloomer56 said:

I don't like the idea of being vaccinated if and when I can. However I like the idea of not cruising even less. I will do what I must to cruise, my husband has had both shots, hope our sons get theirs next month when they are eligible but worried our grandson will not be allowed to cruise as he will be 12 in Oct.

Anybody know about children at this time?

Also not sure if they would refund us if we can't sail due to this new requirement which wasn't an issue when we booked our first time in 2019 for 2020. Hoping the third time is the charm for this Oct. 29th.

Thank you as always folk's, stay safe.

See my  post above #74