News from San Diego

DAllenTCY

The newly completed structure replacing Anthony's Fish House/Grotto has opened steps from the B Street Pier.

The main attraction is the Brigantine Restaurant; however, Ketch Bar&Grill, Miguels Cantina,

and Seaside Coffee/Gelato, as well.

Seaport Village renovation is now complete with many new shops.

The Midway Museum has reopened, too.

David

sd-fi-brigantine-lease-20171009.jpg

KetchGrillTaps-Small.jpg

The Brig.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 5

Thanks for sharing. I am still unhappy that San Diego didn’t give Anthony’s a change to upgrade their restaurant. We always looked forward to Anthony’s when we were in Dan Diego. Their calamari was the best that we had except in Venice! 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Storylady said:

Thanks for sharing. I am still unhappy that San Diego didn’t give Anthony’s a change to upgrade their restaurant. We always looked forward to Anthony’s when we were in Dan Diego. Their calamari was the best that we had except in Venice! 

It was time for something fresh and new on the waterfront.    Anthony’s has one restaurant remaining in San Diego located in La Mesa.

1 hour ago, Storylady said:

Thanks for sharing. I am still unhappy that San Diego didn’t give Anthony’s a change to upgrade their restaurant. 

It was odd that Anthony's and Brigantine - both of which are owned by San Diegans - couldn't work out something so they could both use that property, just the two of them. Ketch Bar & Grill is similar to Brigantine, and there's certainly no need for another Mexican restaurant.

Now there are four restaurants, whereas only two - Anthony's and the Brig - would have been a huge draw, especially with Anthony's history at that locale.  JMHO. 

1 hour ago, Storylady said:

I loved the Fishette.

• Like 3

Thanks for the info...plan to be there this December for a Hawaiian cruise on HAL (crossing fingers!). Will check the new places out; was never in San Diego long enough to try the original ones. 

Now if they would just do something about the World Pier/International Cruise Ship Terminal /  "B" Street Pier facilities for embark/disembark ...... To quote Bette Davis "What a Dump!"

It's a shame the facilities are so poor as San Diego is a FANTASTIC city in which to begin or end a cruise from

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72
  • Like 2

Thanks for the update! Looking FORWARD to cruising in and out of San Diego! An incredible port (waiting for a "real Terminal"), but for now, I'll just be happy with cruises once again happening at the SD port!

Edited by boze9999
  • Like 3

The political climate in San Diego has not favored the cruise industry.  The B Street pier is many years old and the Broadway Complex was so downsized by the NIMBYs and the CBP that it is nearly useless.

I've cruised out of New York, Galveston, Los Angeles (San Pedro and Long Beach), and Seattle and their docks aren't any better.

If you want a really nice experience at a pier, stick with Miami, Orlando, San Francisco, or Vancouver.

David

• Like 2

Both Brigantine and Miguel's are solid, well-run restaurants -- reliably good food, good drinks, and fun atmosphere.  We've been going to both for many years and to me they are a good fit for the port area.  

I'm super excited that Seaport Village and the port enhancements are finally happening.  Even living in San Diego, that's a special "day out" for us.  I think cruise travelers are in for a treat! 😊

2 hours ago, Boatdrill said:

It was odd that Anthony's and Brigantine - both of which are owned by San Diegans - couldn't work out something so they could both use that property, just the two of them. Ketch Bar & Grill is similar to Brigantine, and there's certainly no need for another Mexican restaurant.

Now there are four restaurants, whereas only two - Anthony's and the Brig - would have been a huge draw, especially with Anthony's history at that locale.  JMHO. 

Assuming the Brigantine is related to the one in Del Mar I would have preferred Anthony's to another Brigantine.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, nocl said:

Assuming the Brigantine is related to the one in Del Mar I would have preferred Anthony's to another Brigantine.

Alas...the glory days of Anthony's are no more.  My "last supper" before I gave birth to our daughter was at Anthony's Star of the Sea Room.  I was so full after that delicious meal that I decided I couldn't be pregnant for even one more day...and I wasn't!   😂  🤣

• Like 1

Just now, nocl said:

We tended to alternate between Anthony's and the Fish Market.

The Fish Market location that's down at the Embarcadero, "Top of the Market,"  is maybe my favorite seafood restaurant in San Diego.  The casual one is good, too, though, for sure.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

The Fish Market location that's down at the Embarcadero, "Top of the Market,"  is maybe my favorite seafood restaurant in San Diego.  The casual one is good, too, though, for sure.

The Fish Market was our place for special family dinners

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thepoint said:

This looks very nice.  Can someone recommend a hotel close by the pier.   Thank you.  

If you look over on the West Coast Departures board, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/315-west-coast-departures/

you will find dozens of threads on hotels in San Diego. There are about 6 hotels close to the Pier. Our favorite is the Embassy Suites.

I like the fairly new Springhill Suites/Residence Inn right across from the cruise pier.  Very nice place and easy walk to the ship.  Good free breakfast and very nice facilities.  Only negative is the lack of airport shuttle.

Looking forward to sampling the new restaurants, though Anthony's will be missed, when we cruise out of San Diego next February.  To me, San Diego is always the most spectacular sail away city!