Carnival’s CEO states that they will not require vaccinations

Prismism

As Blerkone stated, the CDC will take the most conservative route with restrictions. The cruise lines need to get on board with a conservative approach to restrictions or we will all still be sitting on the bank at US ports. At least my money will be in pocket and the cruise lines will be bleeding cash.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, jfunk138 said:

Arnold Donald:  "we respect personal choice and personal liberty."

If he made a statement like this in 2019, people would cheer.  Now, it's controversial.  I for one support this statement in both 2019 and 2021.

It's business spin, and well done.  Surely will loyalty from the anti-vax fans and solidify Carnival's already solid grasp on that, and like-minded cruisers.  Puts the pressure back on CDC.

• Like 2

I think Arnold Donald has more pressure on him than the CDC has to resume cruising. He has stockholders and a significant stockholder in Saudi Arabia that will expect a good return after making a significant investment.

Wonder why Carnival-owned Cunard is requiring vaccinations on their 2021 UK Staycation cruises from Southampton on Queen Elizabeth this summer (July to October):

"these sailings on Queen Elizabeth will be for UK resident COVID-19 vaccinated guests only"

https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/summer-at-sea

(BTW Disney Magic and MSC Virtuosa do not require vaccinations for their UK sailings, but most other lines do (or are TBD right now):

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/24770-latest-update-cruise-lines-set-to-cruise-from-the-uk.html

1 hour ago, Top_of_the_Cube said:

Lots of polls out there asking if you would or wouldn't cruise with a vaccine requirement.  Seems most who will not sail if there is NOT a vaccine requirement mention the concern of a truncated vacation if cases are found on board.

No serious company uses polls for data collection. These days, they are mostly just ways to "prove" a political point by asking a question to a group that you already know their answer.

I can assure you Arnold didn't just come to this decision because he wants to be an alt-right, anti-vaxxer. They have been studying this day and night, for months. Even at the height of the panic when no one knew what was going on, how to treat it, how to prevent the spread, Carnival cruises (not Princess) fared quite well. Now we know way more and have many immunities in place.

I wouldn't be surprised if they had a different policy by brand, like Princess. That was the crowd that got hit the hardest. Older ages, longer itineraries, more developed ports that are more likely to require passengers to be vaccinated. That crowd may also be more in favor of it. That would make more sense. It's comical to think the Caribbean would mandate vaccination.

Edited by Joebucks
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Which ports have mandated a vaccine so far? I'd guess Cayman islands, rest are pretty poor.

I havent followed the ports, though I do see their covid numbers.

I don't believe that any have mandated a vaccine as of right now.  It seems to be a negative COVID test and a quarantine period, which varies by location and whether or not you're vaccinated. 

I believe that once the vaccine becomes more widely available most of the ports are going to require travelers to be vaccinated.

4 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

My only concern about allowing cruises to begin without proof of vaccination is that the odds are greater that someone on the ship might develop severe covid symptoms.  If the cruise ship is able to deal with that person without disrupting the entire cruise, then I am fine with it.  If not, then I would rather start cruising with vaccinations required.  My hope is they can deal with a severe case like any other severe illness, which does not affect an entire cruise.

I think most severe medical cases on cruise ships are not contagious. I think any positive covid test could mean the end of the cruise. They can't afford a major outbreak.

My sister was able to fly to the Virgin Islands with just proof of a negative covid test, so it makes sense that ports would have the same requirement.  It boils down to what the cruise ships will do if someone, most likely a person who did not get vaccinated, develops severe covid symptoms during a cruise.  I'm not sure why Carnival is taking the stand about not requiring proof of vaccinations to start cruising, but they also took the stand about not cruising from foreign ports.  

The Virgin Islands is trying to become a vaccination destination, as in come here to be vaccinated. They seem to have extra at the moment.

I really wish cruising could resume at a person's own risk with negative covid testing prior to boarding.  If someone gets deathly sick, quarantine them until they can get them off of the ship.  The days of quarantining everyone should be long gone.

The days could have be long gone if more people had followed simple instructions.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TNcruising02 said:

My sister was able to fly to the Virgin Islands with just proof of a negative covid test

USVI or BVI?

Not that it matters, I suppose - what will matter is what the islands/countries decide when the timeframe for opening up to cruising is nigh.  Obviously, in Oct 2020 no-one had decided that vaccinations were going to be required - they didn't exist as a public health system (though they were in development, and it was surely discussed).  By July 2021, those nations/islands might decide proof of vaccination is the easiest and safest way to decide who can visit.

• Like 1

This is absolutely "Gambling" with out total safety. I can't say why he chose this route; but I can definitely see his views changing in accordance with the Ports decisions. Regardless everyone please get vaccinated to keep us all safe and continue to wear those masks. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, SeaHunt said:

Wonder why Carnival-owned Cunard is requiring vaccinations on their 2021 UK Staycation cruises

Cunard’s demographic is very different than Carnival’s demographic, at least based on the responses to various COVID related threads here on Cruise Critic. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, LHARTWICK said:

Agreed!  I am just stunned that vaccinations will not be required after all the industry has been through.  The industry wouldn't survive another shutdown.  Why would they risk other outbreaks, regardless of how large or small?  I'm vaccinated, so I'm not worried about catching it either.  Once opened again, we may stick to lines that require vaccinations for a while.  

53 minutes ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

It's business spin, and well done.  Surely will loyalty from the anti-vax fans and solidify Carnival's already solid grasp on that, and like-minded cruisers.  Puts the pressure back on CDC.

34 minutes ago, SeaHunt said:

Wonder why Carnival-owned Cunard is requiring vaccinations on their 2021 UK Staycation cruises from Southampton on Queen Elizabeth this summer (July to October):

"these sailings on Queen Elizabeth will be for UK resident COVID-19 vaccinated guests only"

https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/summer-at-sea

(BTW Disney Magic and MSC Virtuosa do not require vaccinations for their UK sailings, but most other lines do (or are TBD right now):

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/24770-latest-update-cruise-lines-set-to-cruise-from-the-uk.html

Children can't be vaccinated yet.  Curand doesn't cater to families with children.  By mandating vaccines for everyone, Carnival hits families who would not be able to sail.   

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Jasonsterling said:

That said, the interesting thing here is that three major lines that I'm aware of have mandated vaccines but Carnival is convinced that they're clientele won't accept the restriction. It's an interesting view of how the different lines view their customer base.

Like so many others, I’ve been reading COVID related threads on Cruise Critic ad nauseam over the last year. And if the responses that I’ve read are any indication of what each cruise line’s customer base is like, it’s not wonder that Carnival is portraying itself as “America’s Cruise Line” and saying NO to a vaccination mandate or any other mandate that may seem “oppressive “. I believe that they know their clientele and are appeasing them with their “stand”. It’s indeed interesting (and to a certain degree amusing) to see how these dynamics come into play. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 7

18 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

The days could have be long gone if more people had followed simple instructions.

That's because too many people confuse inconvenience with oppression as the saying goes.

• Like 3

I agree with many of the comments here.  We have vaccines and until we see some better science or actual sailings we will simply avoid lines like Carnival if they don not require vaccines to launch.  We have a couple Carnival Cruises booked that we will cancel as not enough data to make us feel it worth the additional risks.  Our first is 4 July and doubtful that it sails anyway so we will wait ti cancel.  But we will hold on for now as we believe that the CDC will make it a requirement in order for them to sail.  Sadly, its this sort of short sighted thinking that hurts the Cruise Lines when balancing how the CDC has handled the whole issue Cruising.  As a stock holder this is even more frustrating as overall it hurts the brand.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Darcy03231 said:

I don't believe that any have mandated a vaccine as of right now.  It seems to be a negative COVID test and a quarantine period, which varies by location and whether or not you're vaccinated. 

I believe that once the vaccine becomes more widely available most of the ports are going to require travelers to be vaccinated.

Since cruise ship passengers can't "quarantine" during their 6 hour island stop or get tested a certain number of hours before they arrive, I think vaccinations will be required. 

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Which 3 major lines have mandated vaccines? I've only heard of a couple very upscale saying they will require it.

Rcl has only said for the Caribbean cruises this summer, but has no policy. I'm not aware any very major lines having mandated it for usa cruises. Ncl proposed it to get cruising now and get around the cdc but it hasnt been accepted by the cdc. Unless the cdc says sure you can cruise now it's just a proposal. 

royal, Celebrity, and Norwegian are all starting cruises that don't call in the US in this summer, and they all require vaccinations. 

3 hours ago, ledges1 said:

The cruise industry is in disaray. Forget the CDC at the moment. We have NCL and RCL requiring the vaccine and Carnival indicating it will not require the vaccine for US cruises. We have NCL requesting the CDC to cruise with 100% vaccinations. If the CDC made a decision about cruising immediately, would they let NCL cruise or Carnival. NCL. The cruise industry should have a united front. Donald will look foolish if he has to change his decision and Carnival misses revenue opportunities due delays based on his decisions.

But will he look foolish? A lot of his arguments were pretty sound and logical. If the CDC required it, he would follow it as law/rule, but he would say "it's not CCL requiring it, it is CDC and we have to follow it". The same would be true if an island/port requires it- "it's not CCL requiring it, it is the Bahamas (for example) and we have to follow it"

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, Oldsweets said:

I agree with many of the comments here.  We have vaccines and until we see some better science or actual sailings we will simply avoid lines like Carnival if they don not require vaccines to launch.  We have a couple Carnival Cruises booked that we will cancel as not enough data to make us feel it worth the additional risks.  Our first is 4 July and doubtful that it sails anyway so we will wait ti cancel.  But we will hold on for now as we believe that the CDC will make it a requirement in order for them to sail.  Sadly, its this sort of short sighted thinking that hurts the Cruise Lines when balancing how the CDC has handled the whole issue Cruising.  As a stock holder this is even more frustrating as overall it hurts the brand.

I for one am hoping Carnival somehow works out cruising without vaccine or tests and that this sentiment works in my favor. You all cancel your cruises for safety concerns and I slip into a Balcony cabin for an amazingly cheap price the day before sailing on a half empty ship just like I did in March. Covid cruising was awesome and I am spoiled now. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Elaine5715 said:

Children can't be vaccinated yet.  Curand doesn't cater to families with children.  By mandating vaccines for everyone, Carnival hits families who would not be able to sail.   

Besides Cunard, P&O and Princess, all Carnival lines, require vaccinations for the UK Seacations. Maybe more.

Children just might have to wait until later to sail. That's a plus.

10 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Besides Cunard, P&O and Princess, all Carnival lines, require vaccinations for the UK Seacations. Maybe more.

Children just might have to wait until later to sail. That's a plus.

You can add: Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Saga, Virgin, Viking, a couple more are still TBD

3 minutes ago, Seany527 said:

Royal and NCL cruisers who don’t want the vax, but want to cruise will be looking for a place to go and CCL will be welcoming them with open arms. 

Perfect!  Keep all the unvaccinated cruisers on Carnival

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Seany527 said:

Royal and NCL cruisers who don’t want the vax, but want to cruise will be looking for a place to go and CCL will be welcoming them with open arms. 

If the CDC doesn't mandate vaccines, CCL will welcome them with masks, social distancing, and more. MDRs may be rationed and some get to eat of Lido or via room service. Carnival excursions only. Perhaps suspension of Cheers - don't need drunks not following rules.