US State Department to designate most countries with "Do Not Travel" advisory do to the pandemic

Ride-The-Waves

44 minutes ago, nocl said:

For those that think that the pandemic is over I would just point out that daily new case counts in the rest of the world is hitting a new record around 800,000 per day.  Deaths, while not eclipsing the old peak is climbing quickly at around 12,000 per day.  This is with the US which used to be a major contributor to the world numbers, have dropped its numbers significantly.  Control in the US does not mean this is over.

I definitely know it's not over, but this order is tantamount to closing the barn door after the horses have fled.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Did Celebrity give you this conflicting information or are you getting it from other sources?

Does it matter...I consider the poster's on these board have experience. Just trying to see what my options may be and be prepared for them when I make the call to X the day before my final is due. I don't want to be caught off guard and have a backup plan for the cruises I may have to choose from as far as dates/ship/itinerary.

Hopefully I can depend on the US to update their travel advisory because up until this point I certainly haven't felt I could depend on Celebrity to do anything but stall to get $$$'s even when they must know this cruise won't sail !!

Edited by Ashland

31 minutes ago, K.T.B. said:

I definitely know it's not over, but this order is tantamount to closing the barn door after the horses have fled.

No, it is not, it is preparing for the next stage where the pandemic is largely under control in the US, but not so outside of the US.

It is a reminder about the state of the pandemic else where.

• Like 4

Given that the US is farther ahead of vaccinating that many other countries, are any cruise lines thinking about offering cruises to U.S. only vaccinated passengers to U.S. only ports? This is happening in other countries. On the East Coast alone, cruises could depart from or visit Miami, Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades), Orlando area (Port Canaveral), Charleston, New York, Key West, New Orleans, etc.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MarkWiltonM said:

Given that the US is farther ahead of vaccinating that many other countries, are any cruise lines thinking about offering cruises to U.S. only vaccinated passengers to U.S. only ports? This is happening in other countries. On the East Coast alone, cruises could depart from or visit Miami, Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades), Orlando area (Port Canaveral), Charleston, New York, Key West, New Orleans, etc.

PSVA prevents this unless a ship qualifies as US/built/owned/crewed [to oversimplify].  Neither Celebrity nor any other major cruise line does, except NCL Pride of America.  However, American Cruise Lines has restarted cruising to US ports with 6 ships and will have its entire fleet of 13 ships in operation in a few months:

American Cruise Lines' full 13-ship fleet to sail in the U.S. this spring

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ashland said:

Have gotten conflicting information that I may be charged a fee to change to a 2023 cruise date. Not trying to L/S but just another entirely different ship/date/itinerary and of course paying the prevailing rate. Not requesting an FCC but just move the deposit.

Last week I moved a nonrefundable onboard booking from Oct 2021 to Oct 2022 - different class of ship, different cabin class, different itinerary and length.  I did pay the prevailing rate and surprisingly, wasn't charged a fee.  That was my last 2021 cruise to move.  I've opted to focus on next year and quit worrying about and planning for things that may or may hot happen this year.  I sincerely hope the 2021 cruises sail but it's a relief to no longer have to care.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ashland said:

Does it matter...I consider the poster's on these board have experience. Just trying to see what my options may be and be prepared for them when I make the call to X the day before my final is due. I don't want to be caught off guard and have a backup plan for the cruises I may have to choose from as far as dates/ship/itinerary.

Hopefully I can depend on the US to update their travel advisory because up until this point I certainly haven't felt I could depend on Celebrity to do anything but stall to get $$$'s even when they must know this cruise won't sail !!

As much as you have posted about this I would think that $100 pp fee that they should charge you would be a deal to get the peace of mind you seem to be craving (it would be for me).  The policy is that if you are moving to any sailing past 5/4/2022 the fee is applicable (not covered by CwC). 

While most posters state they have been charged the fee (myself included) for moving NRD bookings to later 2022/2023 I have definitely seen a few that say they weren't charged.

I have also seen 1 poster state they were assessed the fee but it wasn't "charged" at this point, it was just added to the new cruise fare.   Is it possible this is why others don't believe they were charged??

Since you seem to have a replacement cruise in mind I'd suggest telling Celebrity that you want to cancel the current cruise with CWC and pay the deposit for the new cruise with the resulting FCC, no money out of pocket.

Good luck reaching a resolution acceptable to you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

PSVA prevents this unless a ship qualifies as US/built/owned/crewed [to oversimplify].  Neither Celebrity nor any other major cruise line does, except NCL Pride of America.  However, American Cruise Lines has restarted cruising to US ports with 6 ships and will have its entire fleet of 13 ships in operation in a few months:

It would be good for the economy and American's safety if they could temporarily lift the PSVA restrictions for fully vaccinated ships... might even encourage some reluctant people to get vaccinated.  Maybe they could even slap a per passenger PSVA-waiver tax to appease the protectionists in Congress.  Lot of pleasant ports on coasts, and people could sail from LA/SF/SEA to Hawaii or Alaska. 

4 hours ago, Ashland said:

I have a cruise for July 30, 2021 British Isles out of Amsterdam. I'm hoping Celebrity cancels this cruise as I'm not comfortable traveling to the Netherlands at this point in time.

My FPD is May 1st with a $900 NRD that was booked in Dec 2019.

Have gotten conflicting information that I may be charged a fee to change to a 2023 cruise date. Not trying to L/S but just another entirely different ship/date/itinerary and of course paying the prevailing rate. Not requesting an FCC but just move the deposit.

Very unhappy with Celebrity !!

I do not understand why Celebrity has not canceled the Reflection cruises to northern Europe if it has already done so with the Silhouette, the only difference is the home port. Free financing with our money is more important than our health?

Edited by gerelmx
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, gerelmx said:

I do not understand why Celebrity has not canceled the Reflection cruises to northern Europe if it has already done so with the Silhouette, the only difference is the home port. Free financing with our money is more interesting than our health?

I agree wholeheartedly with you on the foot-dragging on canceling the cruise.  But let’s be honest; Celebrity hasn’t endangered your health (mental health maybe), they’ve simply decided to hang onto your $$ for far too long.

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

As much as you have posted about this I would think that $100 pp fee that they should charge you would be a deal to get the peace of mind you seem to be craving (it would be for me).  The policy is that if you are moving to any sailing past 5/4/2022 the fee is applicable (not covered by CwC). 

While most posters state they have been charged the fee (myself included) for moving NRD bookings to later 2022/2023 I have definitely seen a few that say they weren't charged.

I have also seen 1 poster state they were assessed the fee but it wasn't "charged" at this point, it was just added to the new cruise fare.   Is it possible this is why others don't believe they were charged??

Since you seem to have a replacement cruise in mind I'd suggest telling Celebrity that you want to cancel the current cruise with CWC and pay the deposit for the new cruise with the resulting FCC, no money out of pocket.

Good luck reaching a resolution acceptable to you.

I have always intended to wait until the last minute to make my decision. Seeing that some have been charged and some haven't is the confusion with Celebrity and seems to vary.

I'm not "craving" for immediate peace of mind but just what is fair in a timely manner.

What I "may" have in mind is only an option if I have no other way around losing my deposit.

No need to respond as I can understand your position clearly...but thanks for your input.

Just as a point of clarification here, State Department Travel Advisories are issued because there is a risk to the safety of the traveler while traveling. Which is why you typically see advisories for areas of conflict, civil war, high risk of terrorism, or criminal activity (murder and kidnapping, for instance) directed at international travelers, and especially Americans. The CDC piece is mostly directed at the risk of coming down with COVID while traveling; secondarily spreading it. (Yes, bringing it home is still a risk.) And almost all of the countries on the list currently don't allow US travelers anyway. And some of them have high circulating rates of variants where the various first generation vaccines may not be as protective.

If you are allowed to travel to a country (by that country) on the Do Not Travel list, and do, I'd really check my travel, health, and evacuation insurance for any exclusions. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

The “Do not Travel”  advisory for Mexico has been followed by very few U.S. citizens.   Many Cruise critics members have proudly talked of their vacations to Mexican all inclusive resorts.   These resorts will even provide a negative COVID test so you can get back to the states.

They haven’t changed the Level 3 warning for Greece since last year so it looks like cruises from Greece are okay.

Welp, the State Dept. dominoes are falling: St Lucia and Barbados, which were Orange (Reconsider Travel) this morning, are now Red (Do Not Travel)... As is much of Europe. Greece was "exercise caution" and is now DNT. Lisa Lutoff-Perlo must be losing her mind.

Edited by sofietucker

3 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

They could do cruises to no where out of US ports without being a violation of PVSA as long as they in/out of the same port  They do not need to be US built or registered.  They will not because they would not be foreign cruises which means that even though they could use foreign built, foreign registered, foreign crew, the crew would need visa's to work in the US.  All revenue for the cruises would be taxable in the US.  US labor laws would apply.

These cruises were done up to a few years ago when the CBP took a look at the laws and determined that they would not qualify as foreign cruises resulting inthe need for US work Visa's and US taxation.  The cruise lines dropped them at that point.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

The “Do not Travel”  advisory for Mexico has been followed by very few U.S. citizens.   Many Cruise critics members have proudly talked of their vacations to Mexican all inclusive resorts.   These resorts will even provide a negative COVID test so you can get back to the states.

They haven’t changed the Level 3 warning for Greece since last year so it looks like cruises from Greece are okay.

There have been some stories in the media about people that did travel to Mexico but then got a positive test result when it came time to fly back resulting in not being able to board their flights and an extended stay in Mexico.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, sofietucker said:

Welp, the State Dept. dominoes are falling: St Lucia and Barbados, which were Orange (Reconsider Travel) this morning, are now Red (Do Not Travel)... As is much of Europe. Greece was "exercise caution" and is now DNT. Lisa Lutoff-Perlo must be losing her mind.

You won't want to go to Barbados for a very long time, it's covered in ash from the neighboring volcano eruption.  It probably is a worst situation/damage than a hurricane (and it's still erupting).

Edited by rmalbers
  • Like 1

Saw a  TV report today about India...serious number of cases there, very contagious, hosp beds and supplies running low in certain areas.  (Scary b/c I think  many US  drugs for non Covid illness are made there)

Tv report also mentioned the India variant has been identified in Israel..which has done a  serious job of  Covid border control. Wonder how it came through???

Our  Jan 2022, Ref cruise goes to many Carib ports...they may be on the don't go list.

Perhaps time for us to see about the last possiible usage date for our current FCC..does anyone have the link or latest list? , hoped we'd we past this!

25 minutes ago, Ashland said:

If the Netherlands has been put on the Do Not Travel list how will the cruise line handle this as far as cancellations for US travelers?

Since it *is* now on the DNT list, I think you may as well go ahead and cancel your cruise. Accept the FCC or wait for them to issue it to you; it looks like they are no longer giving folks that 125%.

We recently cancelled ours that was supposed to go to Turkey and Greece in August because Turkey was still  "reconsider", although Greece was okay. And good that we did; now they're both red.

The last fully safe places to go, outside the US, are Greenland and Svalbard. Brrrr. And good luck getting there. 

13 minutes ago, hcat said:

Our  Jan 2022, Ref cruise goes to many Carib ports...they may be on the don't go list.

Perhaps time for us to see about the last possiible usage date for our current FCC..does anyone have the link or latest list? , hoped we'd we past this!

My TA says they are updating those expiration dates--whether cruise lines, airlines, travel cards, hotel points. Right now we have a bunch of all of the above, including both AA airline credits that must be used by June 24, and AA seat vouchers ($80 each, for upgrades) that expire that day. BUT. They can't be combined to use on the same flight!

Because the American Airlines monster must be fed.

So what: we pay cash for another flight to somewhere before then, simply to spend the $160? Or just light the $ on fire in a trash can? Or--likeliest--write a begging letter to their airline to extend the voucher deadline. Which will STILL involve paying cash at some point, cuz no doubling up.

But at least not forced to travel early. to some random destination to "save" money.  (Same mindset as  "But it was on sale! I would have been throwing away money if I didn't buy this!")

42 minutes ago, rmalbers said:

You won't want to go to Barbados for a very long time, it's covered in ash from the neighboring volcano eruption.  It probably is a worst situation/damage than a hurricane (and it's still erupting).

And wouldn't you think that Celebrity would be thinking about their (first cruise for the line, in over a year!!!) Millie passengers, to whom they're currently selling Barbados shorex for June 9th? The beaches--and everything else-- will only be able to be cleaned up so much before then. Unless they herd everyone into the Harrison's caves. Hmm, there's a thought... We might have to make that a "sea-day".

Ok, I’m just curious. So we are both vaccinated and our next foreign cruise, if it goes, is a TA from Barcelona back to Ft Lauderdale arriving Nov 4th. If we fly from the US into Barcelona and then get directly on the Celebrity chartered bus headed straight to the ship, how in the heck are we going to catch COVID from folks with the virus living in Spain?

BTW we will always being wearing masks and social distancing while in public areas and will only go on X sanctioned excursions. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sofietucker said:

My TA says they are updating those expiration dates--whether cruise lines, airlines, travel cards, hotel points. Right now we have a bunch of all of the above, including both AA airline credits that must be used by June 24, and AA seat vouchers ($80 each, for upgrades) that expire that day. BUT. They can't be combined to use on the same flight!

Because the American Airlines monster must be fed.

So what: we pay cash for another flight to somewhere before then, simply to spend the $160? Or just light the $ on fire in a trash can? Or--likeliest--write a begging letter to their airline to extend the voucher deadline. Which will STILL involve paying cash at some point, cuz no doubling up.

But at least not forced to travel early. to some random destination to "save" money.  (Same mindset as  "But it was on sale! I would have been throwing away money if I didn't buy this!")

Thanks..  I will try to get the  updates for our Celeb FCC..we only have one but it is a large amt.   We'd keep the Reflection res but might try for a shorter cruise just to know we coulduse it up.  Issue is where could we go?  No  plans for Europe but closer optiins are shrinking! So sad abt Barbados?

• Like 1