Medallion App Updated and Working Now

HBCcruiser

2 hours ago, Grego said:

That's absurd!  Anyone that knows Jan would tell you that she is anything but incompetent and has had a great career of leadership and builder of future leaders.  You obviously have no idea what you are talking about.

I probably should had taken the route of not dignifying your comment with a response. 

Agree - I do not see Jan as the problem person for MC App.

On a lighter note::

😅🤣😂

I was about to change to Delta for my flight until I read this -> https://www.zdnet.com/article/delta-is-truly-annoying-customers-its-solution-is-oh-good-luck-with-this/ Sticking to what I've got. A red-eye on American Airlines. Apparently it's a travel industry wide thing

Edited by Ombud

45 minutes ago, Ombud said:

On a lighter note::

😅🤣😂

I was about to change to Delta for my flight until I read this -> https://www.zdnet.com/article/delta-is-truly-annoying-customers-its-solution-is-oh-good-luck-with-this/ Sticking to what I've got. A red-eye on American Airlines. Apparently it's a travel industry wide thing

Be careful with the link you listed above for ZDnet.  If you research, many bad reviews…malware, stealing information 

when you go on the website, etc.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, barrykel said:

So who is the problem? Padgett?

IDK that it is a single person.  Padgett's main claim-to-fame IMO was the original concept and outfitting of the ships with the sensor system and what the Medallion does.  I have to think he appreciates "guest experience" from his years at Disney, but I imagine initially at Carnival/Princess, he didn't understand the cruise experience fully.  I am sure he has a lot better appreciation now. 

I can only guess that the project team did not have enough of the right users from other departments and on-board team members.  Or they engaged them superficially.  I suspect business specifications were too simple to consider all customer touchpoints and concerns and interests.  Whose decision was it that Cruise Personalizer features could be scrapped ahead of knowing whether MC App was working and would replace it well?  It makes sense to have dual-entry option as it allows more customers to interact with Medallion Class features, even if they won't own a smartphone nor bring one on board. 

I don't know that Padgett was the CIO.  The CIO and PM for the project are where things broke down as end users often don't appreciate on their own what elements help projects to succeed and there are so many different internal end users that it likely fell to the OCEAN team (not easy to challenge IT in some business cultures).  Sure, Padgett was the innovation guy - still is - but someone more pure IT should have foreseen the challenges.  The ultimate end user - the Princess guest - was never represented on the project team.  I imagine some at Princess spoke for them, but we don't know how it was all structured and run.  I think the guest experience was somewhat glossed over and they thought it would be simple.  (When the SVP Sales doesn't understand that DMW and Arrival Groups will not deliver the former guest experience, it seems to me what the design plans were was not very well laid out or communicate to key mgmt - or he himself didn't understand the guest experience well).

If you go back to Padgett's original mantra (at the time the Medallion was developed and the receptor infrastructure on the ships), I think they were largely successful in a guest-centric experience on board.  (We can argue about information display choices, but that's in the weeds).  Many elements of Medallion use and the App features on board were in place prior to Covid. 

Where they spectacularly failed was in the pre-cruise experience which was developed during a time with no ships carrying passengers.

I have spent the time thinking and typing the above, so will post it, but it doesn't matter who all it was and to what extent Padgett was involved.  PCL has made their bed and laid out their course of action and all we can do is identify issues and make constructive suggestions for future.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

I don't know that Padgett was the CIO. 

He wasn't, according to his LinkedIn profile, which shows his previous title as 'Chief Experience and Innovation Officer'. The Carnival corporate CIO is still listed as Greg Sullivan, whose LinkedIn profile shows all of his prior experience as CEO of a couple of startups, neither in a consumer-facing market segment. And Marshall Lancaster, who was the HA Group CIO, left the company a year ago.

@Steelers36Nailed it IMHO. Good idea but full implementation too soon, should have been a phased feature release and leave Personalizer in place initially. Plus some basic IT misunderstanding of the scope of the project. Lastly, I don't know enough technically, but does this project need to have latest OS releases, could it not have been more platform friendly, further IT incompetence.

• Like 1

Only through my diligence am I able to get issues fixed on the Medallion Class Act.  Today, I live chatted with Miriam to fix a missing Medallion Net order.  Seems as though "someone" cancelled my order but I never received credit back to my card.  After spending a good amount of time on chat, they were able to reissue plan.  I will never know what happened to initial order.  But it is a reminder to make sure everything is in order before sailing.

I also was on the phone with a wonderful CSR on Saturday.  Unfortunately, he was unable to "fix" app since it will require me calling back Monday-Friday so CSR can text Ocean Navigator.  I entered credit card with "iffy" expiration date.  I received Medallion.  Princess then decided credit card would not be considered valid.  But since I already have my medallion...long story.  Only OCEAN Navigator can fix this on my app.  He was the first CSR that actually made sense and could clearly communicate what my problems are.  And insult to injury....my medallion is blue.  🥶

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

my medallion is blue.  🥶

I'd prefer that color to black. In fact your post gives me hope that I might be able to get a blue or pink one. It really doesn't matter what color it is for billing. The accountants should know your status. 

10 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I'd prefer that color to black. In fact your post gives me hope that I might be able to get a blue or pink one. It really doesn't matter what color it is for billing. The accountants should know your status. 

Pink would be nice.  But I don't think they offer a pink one.  Color isn't important to me since it will be out of sight more often than not.  If the "purser" desk line isn't long, I may exchange it.  Otherwise...a nice souvenir.  

On 10/16/2021 at 1:13 PM, brisalta said:

Actually they just need to take the existing Web Based personalizer and add CSS ( cascading style sheets) for mobile devices, which is relatively trivial task,  and add the new functionality that is in the medallion app which is a very small set of functionality missing from the existing web based personalizer. Oh and test it!!!!!!!!

Regarding Web Services, do you actually think the developers of the Medallion app actually know what those are? 

You're right about this. In my opinion, it's a poorly designed website these days if it doesn't function well on both desktop and mobile. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:
41 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Expand  

Pink would be nice.  But I don't think they offer a pink one.  Color isn't important to me since it will be out of sight more often than not.  If the "purser" desk line isn't long, I may exchange it.  Otherwise...a nice souvenir.  

The closest they get is the 'Ruby' status : 3-5 cruises. 

Screenshot_20211017-144417_Chrome.jpg

If they are no longer handing out pins, I'm going to try to collect all as refrigerator magnets. Got black, just 4 to go (grey is last). Next cruise is blue, April is gold, summer is ruby the grey in fall. 

If they can make me adapt to a difficult app I can have fun with magnets 🧲 

Edited by Ombud

• 1 month later...

The title "MedallionClass now updated and working" is interesting. Here is my experience over the last two days.  Had a booking that I cancelled that I had already input check in on the website before this app went into use. So, I am able to see the info on the app but can not make changes since that particular booking has been cancelled. Now, I have a new booking but the app is stuck on the old booking and will not recognize any attempt to update information. A chat with PCL rep ended with her suggesting I wait a week and try again. I have an iPhone 12, an ipad, both with IOS 15 and a Galaxy S21 5G with android 12 OS.  So, no equipment issues. At one point when I tried to add the new booking the app told me that it was already linked but I can see no information for that particular booking.

What a frustrating and annoying process. I particularly frowned at the recommendation in the app tutorial that says if you do not have the proper equipment you should get a relative or friend to do it for you. Are you kidding me.  I would think that the majority of PCL customers are boomers, many of whom are not as computer savy as one might need to be.

Don't know how this will resolve itself but the cruise does not depart until May 2022 so maybe I still have time.

20 minutes ago, ydwckzf said:

The title "MedallionClass now updated and working" is interesting. Here is my experience over the last two days.  Had a booking that I cancelled that I had already input check in on the website before this app went into use. So, I am able to see the info on the app but can not make changes since that particular booking has been cancelled. Now, I have a new booking but the app is stuck on the old booking and will not recognize any attempt to update information. A chat with PCL rep ended with her suggesting I wait a week and try again. I have an iPhone 12, an ipad, both with IOS 15 and a Galaxy S21 5G with android 12 OS.  So, no equipment issues. At one point when I tried to add the new booking the app told me that it was already linked but I can see no information for that particular booking.

What a frustrating and annoying process. I particularly frowned at the recommendation in the app tutorial that says if you do not have the proper equipment you should get a relative or friend to do it for you. Are you kidding me.  I would think that the majority of PCL customers are boomers, many of whom are not as computer savy as one might need to be.

Don't know how this will resolve itself but the cruise does not depart until May 2022 so maybe I still have time.

It takes a couple of days for an old booking to drop off MC App and the new booking to appear.  Try checking again tomorrow.  But yes, the thread title meant something when it started, but there are still plenty of issues with the MC App.  Many of us think there are a lot of data issues that cause problems since many people have it working fine.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 7/16/2021 at 7:19 PM, billco said:

I understand. I'm pretty much an early adopter and an Apple fan, so I usually have pretty recent devices, including iPhone, Mac, iPads, and Watch. I can't speak for Android, but the current requirement to run the Medallion App on an iPhone is IOS 13, which is compatible with iPhones as old as iPhone 6, which was released in 2015. So, I don't see the requirement to purchase a newer device. In fact, the Medallion App will run on iPads and iPad Touch, which are much cheaper than iPhones. 

My last Medallion Class cruise was on the Regal in April, 2019 and the App ran pretty good with a few bugs. I won't really know what features work for me until I go on a cruise in September, but I'm buying into the App now, because Princess has bought into it and I have 5 cruises booked.

The Medallion app will not work on IPod Touch 6 which is an older device and will not update to ios13.

It will install but then you can’t log in.

It would seem they finally got somebody to fix stuff. Not only is the web checkin working, but the most recent update of the app seemed to fix a problem I had with MedallionPay on one cruise (but not another - the difference drove me mad!).

Better late than never.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, tellis90245 said:

It would seem they finally got somebody to fix stuff. Not only is the web checkin working, but the most recent update of the app seemed to fix a problem I had with MedallionPay on one cruise (but not another - the difference drove me mad!).

Better late than never.

It is now beta quality.

For example some features only work if wifi is on but there are people that only use cellular access for internet and do not have wifi available. This means that they cannot perform some tasks prior getting on the ship.

For some reason the app requires location to be on even though GPS will not work in the bowels of a ship. They can tell if you are on the ship by which domain you are connecting from/to. No need for location to be on.

There are problems elsewhere as well.

On 10/17/2021 at 1:07 PM, barrykel said:

He wasn't, according to his LinkedIn profile, which shows his previous title as 'Chief Experience and Innovation Officer'. The Carnival corporate CIO is still listed as Greg Sullivan, whose LinkedIn profile shows all of his prior experience as CEO of a couple of startups, neither in a consumer-facing market segment. And Marshall Lancaster, who was the HA Group CIO, left the company a year ago.

Linked in profiles are not worth the bits that they are stored in.

• Haha 2