WHEN DO YOU BELIEVE PRINCESS WULL BE SAILING FROM USA PORTS

mcrcruiser

On 4/29/2021 at 1:12 PM, TNTLAMB said:

https://s.wsj.net/public/resources/documents/Cruise Line Meetings Dear Colleague Letter_4 28 2021_FINAL.pdf    That 98% of crew and 95% of PaX being immunized might be a bit tough to meet

Now California has more vaccines then people willing to get vaccinated. Time to share with port employees / crew like Port Canaveral and Galveston (also Canada / Mexico / others)

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Now California has more vaccines then people willing to get vaccinated. Time to share with port employees / crew like Port Canaveral and Galveston (also Canada / Mexico / others)

Wow! Here in Vancouver, Canada, we are desperate for vaccines...only 90,000 people here are fully vaccinated. We are doing an aged-based approach and only on 60+....I was fortunate to get mine early (first dose) as I'm a front line worker.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ceilidh1 said:

Wow! Here in Vancouver, Canada, we are desperate for vaccines...only 90,000 people here are fully vaccinated. We are doing an aged-based approach and only on 60+....I was fortunate to get mine early (first dose) as I'm a front line worker.

What is considered front line in Vancouver?

1 minute ago, AnyMajorCruiseDude said:

What is considered front line in Vancouver?

In terms of vaccine priority, not a lot...

First folks vaccinated were health care workers in long term care homes since that's where we were seeing most outbreaks and fatalities. Then it went to age only and no priority. About a month ago, we started vaccinating police and firefighter and other health care staff. This week we are giving teachers and childcare staff over 30 the Astra Zeneca as priority. I got my first shot 10 days ago as I have been working the vaccination sites for the past 6 weeks and they can't afford to have an outbreak/closure at these sites as they need to get folks vaccinated!

7 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

I'm happy to see at least SOME hope of sailings starting up in the summer. I do wonder how they will go about the 95% passengers vaccinated, though. I have a Ruby sailing on August 7th and have received one shot so far. Since I'm in Canada, my next shot won't come until mid-August at the earliest...add to that, the fact that there are 2 kids on my booking that aren't eligible for vaccination. It will be interesting to see how this is handled (not that I expect to be sailing on this particular voyage anyways since Canada is plague central right now...)

It'll be 100%.  That's just some bean counters at CDC saying what the acceptable range is.  The cruise lines are not going to try and determine who the 5% will be they are just going to make it 100% and remove the hassle.

• Like 1

Part of the answer is it depends where in the US the cruise ship will depart from. Cruise ports in both the West Coast & East Coast have no problems. Florida is another problem as the Governor says you don’t have to be vaccinated but the latest from the CDC says 95% of passengers must be vaccinated. Unless Florida changes it may be a wait & see. 

Another problem is India where they have a serious spike in the virus & a good part of the ships crew are from India & the Philippines. Training new crew members with no or little cruise ship experience could pose another problem. 

Tom😀

8 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

I'm happy to see at least SOME hope of sailings starting up in the summer. I do wonder how they will go about the 95% passengers vaccinated, though. I have a Ruby sailing on August 7th and have received one shot so far. Since I'm in Canada, my next shot won't come until mid-August at the earliest...add to that, the fact that there are 2 kids on my booking that aren't eligible for vaccination. It will be interesting to see how this is handled (not that I expect to be sailing on this particular voyage anyways since Canada is plague central right now...)

The CDC says only 95% of passengers need the vaccine & other people are saying the 5% could be for children or people that can’t take the vaccine for health reasons. If you book 1,000 people 100 could be non vaccinated. 

Tom😀

1 minute ago, trbarton said:

The CDC says only 95% of passengers need the vaccine & other people are saying the 5% could be for children or people that can’t take the vaccine for health reasons. If you book 1,000 people 100 could be non vaccinated. 

Tom😀

I guess my curiosity is more around the logistics - like my August sailing is open for anyone to book, whether vaccinated or not. How will Princess (and other lines) deal with this when/if the time comes to actually sail? Do they suddenly say, "Sorry, but you can no longer sail if you don't have your shots"... I'm a reasonable person and would be ok with that, but I'm sure many others would take issue - especially if their cruise had been booked for a while! It sure would add insult to injury to know that YOUR sailing was a go but you couldn't actually be on it. Lol

26 minutes ago, trbarton said:

Tom😀

If you book 1000 people, only 50 could be non-vaccinated to stay at 95% vaccinated. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Syracusefan44 said:
Cruise ship crew began receiving COVID-19 vaccinations at Port Canaveral today, making it the first US port to facilitate vaccination for seafarers.

This became possible after Florida expanded vaccine eligibility to include individuals who are in the state for the purpose of providing goods or services to benefit residents and visitors. 

What I read is that they have started doing this with ships' crews, not cruise ship crew as I doubt any cruise ship has been there today.

However, what I have read for other cruise lines is that they expect their crews will be vaccinated when they join the ship, not joining the ship and then trying to get vaccinated.

To put 1000 unvaccinated crew on a ship, even with pre-boarding Covid testing, is just asking for Covid to be introduced to the ship, possible spreading among other unvaccinated crew members and requiring extensive decontamination of the ship.

5 hours ago, trbarton said:

Tom😀

?????? 100 out of 1000 is 10%, that is double 5%.

6 hours ago, cscurlock said:

It'll be 100%.  That's just some bean counters at CDC saying what the acceptable range is.  The cruise lines are not going to try and determine who the 5% will be they are just going to make it 100% and remove the hassle.

I think they will aim at 100%. The 95% restriction gives them a little leeway in case someone slips through with forged documentation. JMHO

And please do not take this as an excuse to forge documentation.

29 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I think they will aim at 100%. The 95% restriction gives them a little leeway in case someone slips through with forged documentation. JMHO

And please do not take this as an excuse to forge documentation.

Not that I think ‘forged documents’ are going to be an issue but what does it matter (to the declared percentage) to the 100% target if somebody is able to get onboard with the fakes?  To me, those people are considered fully vaccinated.  Just to be ridiculous, half the pax could show up with forgeries and the ship would still be 100% vaccinated.... until it’s discovered that it wasn’t!

10 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

In terms of vaccine priority, not a lot...

First folks vaccinated were health care workers in long term care homes since that's where we were seeing most outbreaks and fatalities. Then it went to age only and no priority. About a month ago, we started vaccinating police and firefighter and other health care staff. This week we are giving teachers and childcare staff over 30 the Astra Zeneca as priority. I got my first shot 10 days ago as I have been working the vaccination sites for the past 6 weeks and they can't afford to have an outbreak/closure at these sites as they need to get folks vaccinated!

Good job!  People working/helping at these sites make it possible for all of us to eventually get back to normal.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Not that I think ‘forged documents’ are going to be an issue but what does it matter (to the declared percentage) to the 100% target if somebody is able to get onboard with the fakes?  To me, those people are considered fully vaccinated.  Just to be ridiculous, half the pax could show up with forgeries and the ship would still be 100% vaccinated.... until it’s discovered that it wasn’t!

My point was by making the requirement a high %, but not 100%, the cruise line would not be out of compliance if a few slipped through despite their legitimate efforts to confirm the vaccinations. It gives them a little leeway as long as they are doing their due diligence.

But, I will disagree with some of what you wrote. If the forgeries undetected were that high, due diligence is not being applied, as well as the ship is not safe.

10 hours ago, caribill said:

What I read is that they have started doing this with ships' crews, not cruise ship crew as I doubt any cruise ship has been there today.

However, what I have read for other cruise lines is that they expect their crews will be vaccinated when they join the ship, not joining the ship and then trying to get vaccinated.

To put 1000 unvaccinated crew on a ship, even with pre-boarding Covid testing, is just asking for Covid to be introduced to the ship, possible spreading among other unvaccinated crew members and requiring extensive decontamination of the ship.

The Disney ships dock at Port Canaveral at least once.week. 

D2C441D9-55FB-45E2-BCC8-4834C35B7406.jpeg

003A77A0-A122-4BD1-8968-BFBB34FB7B4E.jpeg

• Thanks 1

We are fully vaccinated and I put our vaccine cards in our passports (in the safe) before the CDC suggestion!  We had a feeling this would happen...  I think the goal is supposed to be 98% of the crew and 95% passengers vaccinated... I don't want to potentially expose someone who maybe CAN'T get vaccinated and ruin their cruise (or Life!?)  So I am okay with some kind of requirement for the safety of all...  It was safe for us to do so why not?  (we are in our 60's)  We booked a 15 night Hawaiian cruise for January 2022 and we NEED to cruise!  My Mental health is at stake!  Ha!!  😂🤣🤪

7 hours ago, ontheweb said:

?????? 100 out of 1000 is 10%, that is double 5%.

Before talking barbie was made politically correct, one of the phrases she could say was:

"Math class is tough."

95% of 1000 is 950.

On 4/28/2021 at 10:55 AM, awinte2 said:

Was just reading on Norwegian board that they have been notified that many cruises out of US up to mid November  have been cancelled so I would not count on any cruises originating from US sailing before November.

I think that most crossings will not be sailing all ships at first. So they might start earlier, like in July, but only 5 ships at first. 

17 hours ago, trbarton said:

Part of the answer is it depends where in the US the cruise ship will depart from. Cruise ports in both the West Coast & East Coast have no problems. Florida is another problem as the Governor says you don’t have to be vaccinated but the latest from the CDC says 95% of passengers must be vaccinated. Unless Florida changes it may be a wait & see. 

Another problem is India where they have a serious spike in the virus & a good part of the ships crew are from India & the Philippines. Training new crew members with no or little cruise ship experience could pose another problem. 

Tom😀

The TCCL response to the CDC message on Wednesday was that they would not be sailing all ships. Maybe only 5 from the US to start. Do they maybe could reapportion the crew to staff fewer ships?

44 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Isn't it amazing how the means to possibly end the pandemic has become so political. Did anyone fake having polio vaccines? Did anyone fake having smallpox vaccines? Those were so welcomed!

Or yellow fever immunizations. They have been required for years on just our little yellow card