Dine My Way - new MedallionClass enhancement

dides

6 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Perhaps you missed earlier discussion. DMW when working properly gives you exactly what you want, just do not make any reservations, turn up anytime and go with the flow. However if, as you get closer to cruise date, you decide you would like a specific time one evening, DMW gives you that. Traditional and Anytime did not do that. 

Assuming Princess gets it working correctly there is NOTHING that Traditional and Anytime did that DMW cannot do!

The thread has gotten very long and complicated, especially with all the discussion of Android and using the app on a computer, etc I skipped through a lot.

But the impression I got was you could pick the same time, place everyday (version of TD) or pick a variety of times and venues, but had to do so before boarding.

I want more flexibility than that. I don't know right now which night I want to eat dinner in the steakhouse. It may depend on what I had for lunch that day on shore. The same goes for other specialty venues.

I don't see the benefit to me to have to make dining choices 9 months out. I don't eat that way at home (except for French Laundry). I don't care that it is "flexible", that I can cancel. I don't like being quasi forced to make dining decisions months in advance.

4 hours ago, skynight said:

As time goes on then passengers will realize that you have to decide earlier and earlier and earlier, over a year in advance, if you want to get into a DR at the time you enjoy.

This is my concern. People who vacation at WDW are familiar with this. If you want to book Cinderella's Royal Table (or similar) on a certain day you have to be online at 3AM the day that 180 day window opens then pray when the 60 day window open for FastPass+ rides you can score Magic Kingdom rides. Ov vey vacations are becoming complicated.

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Yes, AT is in the App.  So far, with DMW, you select either the same time every night (their version of TD so far) or review/book individual evenings (their version of AT so far).  The third option is only available when on board and you are ordering something to be delivered where you are.

But I'm still having to decide months in advance which night I might feel like sushi or steak. I really want it MY WAY 😁

If you have selected same time each day (their version of TD, but not really it), you can always go in and delete or change the res for individual days.  This would free up your seat(s) from the original res and get you something else, including Specialty Dining option.  It is probably smart to have a standing res and try to change it when know more. 

On a 15 day trip we may eat in an MDR no more than 4 or 5 times with the other nights split between the buffet (really my way) and specialty so it may not effect me all that much.

The big miss to date, however, is the lack of table size choice.  Whether dining TD or AT, passengers should be able to select desired table size before selecting available times.  Actually, they should allow us to select ANY SIZE, or tap on two or more different sizes for no preference (say 2 or 4 top). 

As it is now, DMW is trying to put each pair of cabinmates at a 2-top and then spilling over to larger tables when those are gone. 

Our last two cruises were a group of four adults (Me, DW and my parents) and six adults (Me, DW, my parents and another couple my parents age [90]). In the group of six, DW & I have Smartphones, my parents have computers  and can use them well, and the other couple doesn't have Smartphones or any idea of how to use a computer beyond email.

How would the six of us dine together in DMW?

11 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

The thread has gotten very long and complicated, especially with all the discussion of Android and using the app on a computer, etc I skipped through a lot.

But the impression I got was you could pick the same time, place everyday (version of TD) or pick a variety of times and venues, but had to do so before boarding.

I want more flexibility than that. I don't know right now which night I want to eat dinner in the steakhouse. It may depend on what I had for lunch that day on shore. The same goes for other specialty venues.

I don't see the benefit to me to have to make dining choices 9 months out. I don't eat that way at home (except for French Laundry). I don't care that it is "flexible", that I can cancel. I don't like being quasi forced to make dining decisions months in advance.

This is my concern. People who vacation at WDW are familiar with this. If you want to book Cinderella's Royal Table (or similar) on a certain day you have to be online at 3AM the day that 180 day window opens then pray when the 60 day window open for FastPass+ rides you can score Magic Kingdom rides. Ov vey vacations are becoming complicated.

But I'm still having to decide months in advance which night I might feel like sushi or steak. I really want it MY WAY 😁

On a 15 day trip we may eat in an MDR no more than 4 or 5 times with the other nights split between the buffet (really my way) and specialty so it may not effect me all that much.

Our last two cruises were a group of four adults (Me, DW and my parents) and six adults (Me, DW, my parents and another couple my parents age [90]). In the group of six, DW & I have Smartphones, my parents have computers  and can use them well, and the other couple doesn't have Smartphones or any idea of how to use a computer beyond email.

All good points perhaps people just turning up will have the dregs to choose from. As far as French Laundry, I believe you need to talk to Gavin Newsome 😀

2 hours ago, suekel said:

I have been able to choose our dinner time on the 4/10 Discovery.  

1 hour ago, MileHighAko said:

I just tried again, and the 4/29 Discovery sailing is working now in DMW. I was pleased that I was able to add the booking number of my FIL and book for all of us.  I wasn't as pleased at the lack of available dining times and lack of ability to select a dining room.

I could make DMW reservations for my 3 cruises including on Discovery (4/3/22) on 6/3.

The inability to select a dining room was disappointing however after a couple of attempts got our preferred table for 2 at a dining room Princess assigned to us. We’ve reserved the same time/dining room for each night but wasn’t assigned to the previously primary traditional MDR on deck 6 aft. We’re happy with a midship MDR because it’s in a more stable location & is away from the aft bow thruster & screws.

54 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

Similar as to how you would before.  Typically, you would have Princess or your TA cross-reference the bookings for each cabin and set the dining up so that everyone wants to dine with each other and choose the table size that suits you (>=4 in the one case and >=6 in the other). 

In the MC App world, you make yourself the voyage organizer (in your mind and the others).  You obtain their booking numbers.  In the MC App you include them under Travel Companions by adding them with booking number. 

When you go to make a DR res in DMW section, it will show you your names and photos with green checks, plus the other parties you added.  Just tap on each person to add them to the res and you will now have 4 people or 6 people ready to eat together.  Each additional person you add will also get a green check mark.

When you go to the next step, you select the date and time desired, and the system knows to give you the minimum table size to fit your party.  That said, it doesn't let you request a larger table should you want it.  However, it is going to assign you whatever size it can find at the time requested with priority given to the minimum table size to fit your party. 

You may, but do not have to, do this months/weeks/days ahead.  You can make a booking on the same day during the cruise.  You can still show up at the appropriate DR door and be seated or wait for space. 

Only some real life experience is going to tell us whether waiting until same day for DR reservation will work well or result in longer wait then before.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Assuming Princess gets it working correctly there is NOTHING that Traditional and Anytime did that DMW cannot do!

Actually, I missed something here first time around.  There is something quite important that DMW does NOT do that was a Booking and Cruise Personalizer feature.  Customers could select their preferred table size and that is not included (as yet at least) in DMW.  The system selects the minimum size table to fit your party that is available at the time selected.

1 hour ago, Tedferg said:

I see what you are saying. I assumed that a person turning up without a reservation would be Anytime by definition. With current Anytime you choose dining room, one  Traditional DR switches to Anytime at 7:00 so you have a choice   I thought DMW would allow you to pick from 3 DR since no DR is assigned to Traditional. I do wonder if those without reservation will find most options have been taken but hope it just evens itself out. I am with you a prefer freedom we have always used Anytime and happy to have another drink while we wait. 

We cannot know for sure, but it could very well be that walk-ups will still be directed to a single DR for early dining and then perhaps another as well.  It would makes sense to me to have all walk-ups come to one of the mid-ship DR's and then be accommodated or perhaps sent up/down stairs to the other if they had space.  If there were two choices, I'd rather be directed to the DR with the least wait for a table.

We also do not know whether the aft DR's will be maintained for TD or not.  (On my future cruises, I have yet to see the aft DR on REGAL listed in any time period). 

Who knows how flexible and feature-rich DMW will become?  

Right now, you cannot select table size which was a pre-existing feature.

You cannot choose from multiple DR's at your preferred time; the System assigns you a table in one of the DR's.  On an older version (1+ weeks back before system down over weekend), I was cycling through various DR options when repeatedly looking for a res at the same time.  Now, that functionality is more in place you might say, I keep seeing the same choice if repeating the same booking request.

I am finding it difficult to believe that all inventory is loaded for all cruise voyages that are currently for sale.  This is based on booking experiences in MC App and the apparent(key word) number of cabins left for sale in one cruise versus another.  We have multiple booked in Fall 2022.  IDK what is going to happen closer to sail date and during the voyage.  When I first made dining bookings, all times were open - even if not table size I wanted.  Now I see lots of time slots grayed out and not available, so indicates sold out for those times.  But who knows how many tables are allocated for a particular timeslot?  And who knows how much inventory was set aside - if at all - for TD.  And what times do they consider what we knew as TD?  There just isn't enough info nor experience to know what is really going on.

2 hours ago, scottca075 said:

To me this is not a version of TD.

With TD at your (requested) size table you are joined by others who will be assigned to dine with you at that same table the entire cruise.

With DMW you have no assurance that your dining companions would not be different ones each evening.

We definitely want the same dining companions throughout the cruise (subject to being absent some evenings) so we can get to know each other better and share what we did that day and what we are doing the next day. We do not want to be with new people each night and have the same conversion each evening of who we all are, where we live, past cruise history, etc.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

When you go to make a DR res in DMW section, it will show you your names and photos with green checks, plus the other parties you added.  Just tap on each person to add them to the res and you will now have 4 people or 6 people ready to eat together.  Each additional person you add will also get a green check mark.

When you go to the next step, you select the date and time desired, and the system knows to give you the minimum table size to fit your party.  That said, it doesn't let you request a larger table should you want it.  However, it is going to assign you whatever size it can find at the time requested with priority given to the minimum table size to fit your party. 

You are missing something here. It has happened to us a number of times. We meet others at trivia or other cruise long events. Decide one evening to dine together. Old system we say ok, meet you for drinks at 5:30 and then we will go to dinner. Now they ask our booking numbers so they can find a reservation in Dine My Way. Our answer, don't know. Don't carry those numbers around in our Phone is locked in the safe. While there may be a procedure, it certainly has more steps than the previous process of just showing up.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, skynight said:

You are missing something here. It has happened to us a number of times. We meet others at trivia or other cruise long events. Decide one evening to dine together. Old system we say ok, meet you for drinks at 5:30 and then we will go to dinner. Now they ask our booking numbers so they can find a reservation in Dine My Way. Our answer, don't know. Don't carry those numbers around in our Phone is locked in the safe. While there may be a procedure, it certainly has more steps than the previous process of just showing up.

I hear you.  Perhaps those spontaneous meet-ups are best handled by the way you used to it?  It is supposed to be possible, but I am not sure any of us trust that tables will be free due to DMW reservations.

Has anyone seen the Allegro Dining room show up on the DMW options?  Looks like you would able to select a table size, then a DR with that size tables still available.  Instead, I only get one random option and have to back out of the selection and go back in and it randomly gives me a different option.  I've only seen Concerto, Symphony, the Bistro, and Harmony.  Just curious if anyone has seen Allegro or Crown?

5 minutes ago, RRFan said:

Has anyone seen the Allegro Dining room show up on the DMW options?  Looks like you would able to select a table size, then a DR with that size tables still available.  Instead, I only get one random option and have to back out of the selection and go back in and it randomly gives me a different option.  I've only seen Concerto, Symphony, the Bistro, and Harmony.  Just curious if anyone has seen Allegro or Crown?

I have posted before that I don't see it on any of the three REGAL voyages we have booked. 

Since you mentioned Harmony, you must be writing about MAJESTIC.  Allegro is a mystery to me.  It is one clue that makes me think they have not released all inventory to DMW.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skynight said:

Now they ask our booking numbers so they can find a reservation in Dine My Way. Our answer, don't know. Don't carry those numbers around in our Phone is locked in the safe. While there may be a procedure, it certainly has more steps than the previous process of just showing up.

You would think the medallion system could provide that information.

• Like 1

I have club class dining. Can use the app to make dining reservations in Concerto on Regal Princess in August 2021 but would this be in the club class area or just general dining. I'm thinking not to bother as its not clear.

OK, when we booked the cruise we requested TD, Late Seating. On the App it shows us at 7:20PM seating for 2 for the entire cruise. Can I 'assume" that this would be the same table for 2 the entire cruise? There really needs to be clarification and examples from Princess on what we all are looking at.

For our March sailing on the Enchanted Princess we have a 5:40pm standing reservation in the Santorini Dining Room (Plaza Deck 5) some nights we have a two top, on others a four top. While we have been Anytime on our 6 Princess cruises, this time is perfect as we generally eat between 5 and 6 pm. In our case the new  Dining My Way seems to be working, although I can see the problems for others, especially those who want traditional dining which seems to be on the way out, sadly.

1 hour ago, JF - retired RRT said:

I have an issue that I haven't noticed mentioned here: where the heck is the DMW option? I can't see it on any of the 4 cruises I have booked...Elite, so that's not it.

Is there something that I have to complete before I'll be able to see it?

Assuming you have the Ocean Medallion app from this year and not something old that never got updated....

You might be able to click the circle with the clock, fork and spoon and plate...though I have had mixed results with that working. Otherwise, scroll down to the "Ocean Now" section. You should see "Dine My Way" as the middle option. It is slow....so be patient.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, philsuarez said:

I have club class dining. Can use the app to make dining reservations in Concerto on Regal Princess in August 2021 but would this be in the club class area or just general dining. I'm thinking not to bother as its not clear.

Since you have Club Class, you don't need a reservation at all. You should just be able to walk up to the Club Class dining area whenever you want to eat.....

• Like 1

We have 2 cruises booked--one in Nov., 2021 and the other May, 2022.  I was able to reserve a 2-top for the first few nights in 2 different dining rooms (Nov. cruise), but when I tried to reserve dinners for the 2nd cruise (May), only 4-tops are available, no matter what time I pick.  I know it's nearly a year out, but found this a bit strange.  Also notice one of the 3 main dining rooms doesn't seem to be available.

1 hour ago, philsuarez said:

Club class dining is a separate part of one of the dining rooms.  No need to reserve just show up and be seated.  Have never waited more than a few minutes

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Cruzinnana47 said:

We have 2 cruises booked--one in Nov., 2021 and the other May, 2022.  I was able to reserve a 2-top for the first few nights in 2 different dining rooms (Nov. cruise), but when I tried to reserve dinners for the 2nd cruise (May), only 4-tops are available, no matter what time I pick.  I know it's nearly a year out, but found this a bit strange.  Also notice one of the 3 main dining rooms doesn't seem to be available.

Your experience demonstrates that DMW is not yet fully-baked.  Getting assigned tables in different DR's when reserving for all nights at once most certainly means you are not getting the promised TD experience of same wait staff and dining companions. 

Also, it seems obvious that the DMW team took all existing bookings and assigned them all 2-tops for Early or Late time-slots.  When those ran out, they moved to 4-tops, etc.  No regards to what people really wanted.  IDK how sold out your voyage is, but I would say the 2-tops were already default assigned. 

And, yes, it certainly seems as though an entire DR inventory has been held back for whatever reason.  In my case, and another I have seen, it is the aft DR (REGAL).

3 hours ago, MissP22 said:

You would think the medallion system could provide that information.

No, it should not provide it.  Your booking number is a personal reference key into your booking and no one should know that outside of those you choose to share it with.  Our friends and we have shared our booking codes with each other and set each other up as Travel Companions in MedallionClass.  It's like a new extension of the former Find Shipmates (which will still exist on-board, but this new one is for pre-cruise as well).  Once you have travel companions, you can then book dining for the entire group, selected members, or just yourself.

36 minutes ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

Assuming you have the Ocean Medallion app from this year and not something old that never got updated....

You might be able to click the circle with the clock, fork and spoon and plate...though I have had mixed results with that working. Otherwise, scroll down to the "Ocean Now" section. You should see "Dine My Way" as the middle option. It is slow....so be patient.

It should be this year. I did the D/L last month. I don't have a "clock, fork, spoon, plate.

On my To Do list is to call Princess...shudder. 🤬

1 hour ago, Turk1 said:

OK, when we booked the cruise we requested TD, Late Seating. On the App it shows us at 7:20PM seating for 2 for the entire cruise. Can I 'assume" that this would be the same table for 2 the entire cruise? There really needs to be clarification and examples from Princess on what we all are looking at.

AFAIK, 7:20pm falls into the window of Late Traditional dining times in order to align with major evening entertainment showtimes. 

In terms of what they have promised in marketing info, yes, it should be the same DR/same table for the entire cruise.  But, I suspect that "magic" is still something the MD's will deal with on-board as they have always done.  I have no idea, but I would expect the MC app to eventually indicate the table number - just as it used to be printed on the former Cruise Cards.  (The older MC App did not have this info on Medallion cruises pre-Covid, IIRC).

ETA:  Just had a thought.  They could move the TD times from the most recent 5:00/5:15 & 7:15/7:30 back to closer to what they were 5:30/5:45 & 7:30/7:45 and people could still be booking at 5pm if they want to.  I am assuming the TD windows have not been changed thus far, but it would be useful for folks to know what times to pick so as not to conflict with major evening entertainment start times.

Edited by Steelers36