Dine My Way - new MedallionClass enhancement

dides

What Steelers36 said. 

From what I’ve experienced and read, the Maitre D’ and waitstaff will bend over backwards to accommodate dietary needs. 

I’m sorry you’ve had a disappointing pre-cruise experience, @DuncanBlizzard.  I hope your actual cruise is so enjoyable that you decide to do it again and again. 

• Like 2

DuncanBlizzard. 

I would first worry about how you will board. I am aware that you have to complete a covid health form which has to be turned in pre-cruise and you have to present original proof of full vaccination. We know you are frustrated. We all are. So I would call Princess again and try speak with a supervisor to make certain they have all the information they require to board the ship. You do not want to be turned away at the pier. You should insist on getting boarding passes.

Diet restrictions such as no salt, gluten free, no sugar, vegetarian, are frequently handled. You just have to speak with the maitre'd or head waiter. At the buffet ask to speak with the head buffet chef.

I think you will be able to dine early if you speak with the maitre'd on boarding day. He should be able to find you a table and time with the same waiters each evening. There are other 24 hour dining options such as room service and the International Cafe. However, it may be difficult to get what you require. There is always fruit that can be delivered to your cabin if you require frequent eating for low sugar. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, DuncanBlizzard said:

I have some significant dietary restrictions and was informed yesterday I missed the date to register those (required 35 days before sailing).  The supervisor I talked to on Saturday claimed she took down my restrictions, but I was told yesterday that she did not.  We can get no boarding or meal reservations, and I can't take the late meal times.  I don't know if I can get food that I can eat and no one will tell me if I have any access to buffets or other food if I don't have reservations (which I doubt I'll ever have).

In my experience Princess takes excellent care of travelers who have specific dietary needs. We travel with friends who are vegan and each night the head waiter works to develop meal options for them for the next evening. Our friends basically tell the head waiter what they want to eat and the chefs make it happen. Our friends love the food they get in the MDR each evening. They were very apprehensive (as you are) the first time they sailed but they were so impressed with how their dietary restrictions were handled by Princess. After their first cruise they said this was some of the best vegan food they have ever had and they have continued to take additional cruises and the service has always been outstanding.

Aside from the MDR you will also have access to many food options at the buffet. I don’t know what your restrictions are but I’m sure you will be able to find option at the buffet as well. There is also the International Cafe which is open 24 hours per day.

I really don’t think you need to bring your own food on the ship. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the options available for you and how Princess dining room staff will work with you to develop meals that you are able to eat each day.

I’m sending positive thoughts your way for your upcoming cruise. We are taking the same cruise on August 29th and can’t wait!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DuncanBlizzard said:

I have some significant dietary restrictions

Once you are able to get into the MC app there are 2 screens you can complete under “My Preferences”. One is for “Allergens” and the other is for “Dining”. Here are screen shots of the dietary restrictions you can enter through the MC app.

90AE4C73-1FA6-47DF-A6BC-DAEE335C1A00.png

033DAAB2-989F-4DA5-A7A6-FCF6854D4973.png

• Like 2

NEW MC APP VERSION FOR ANDROID - 3.0.92725

I phoned into OCEAN team help line today and spoke with Princess rep Beverly who has likely been working for them a long time.  She was on the Covid-19 pause cancellations and refund team last year and has recently been assigned to OCEAN.  She was fairly frank about the IT problems and as a user doesn't quite understand how it all got mixed up, but she knows they are working hard to get it all fixed.  She understood what I meant about data conversion from Personalizer into MC App system.  Yes, a new system. 

Anyway, she said there was a new MC App version today, so I uninstalled and re-installed and then saw UPDATE button in Play Store.  You can read more details in my new post in the "Ocean Medallion App - Part 3" thread (a sticky at top of Princess Cruises board). 

Specifically with DMW, she knew it was off-line and down today because it wasn't ready and they were having problems.  So, although a new release, the DMW function was having issues. 

She couldn't see anything due to it being down.  I was curious if our dining res that disappeared from the MC App were somehow still in a Princess record.  That answer will have to wait.

However, she did surprise me by informing me that we were not linked with our friends' booking.  That seemed strange as I had added them as Travel Companions in MC App and they showed up and I also made dining res initially using all four of us (our res for our last leg - a separate voyage on ISLAND still shows in MC App). 

So, I gave her all the booking numbers and she re-linked our bookings.  Now, our bookings were linked in POLAR before the conversion from Cruise Personalizer to DMW.  Obviously, that didn't carry into the new system.  (The conversion ignored our dining setup as well since DMW had us defaulted to a 2-top alone).  I was not able to discern what was different about what she was seeing (i.e. what System) versus MC App, but she did link all four of our booking codes.  It will be interesting to see if this makes any difference when DMW function is working again.  So, whatever System she was looking at (I should have asked more directly) now has us linked for dining purposes.  Perhaps this is the System data that goes to the Maitre D's for each voyage.

I asked her a bit about the Maitre D' function going forward.  Such as, does DMW assign us to an actual table in the DR and nothing much for the MD to do?  Or, does the MD get all the DMW info and still have to do their magic.  She said they still have to do their magic, but I confess I didn't get a lot of detailed insight here.  We chatted a bit about what the MD's will be dealing with the first cruises coming up.  I think she also mentioned they were trying to get the dining and such straightened out for the coming voyages. 

As for table sizes, she realized there needs to be a table size selection and probably/likely/is(not sure which word) coming.  But they did setup at first - as most of us suspected - to have every cabin dine separately socially-distanced.  I asked isn't this expected to be changed in 2022 and she didn't know any specific time or date.  So, I think however they programmed DMW to put every cabin at its own table, they continued this far into the future, well beyond what anyone expects as a dining requirement.  I guess that means some couples were being seated at large tables by themselves.  First 2021 cruises will end up confirming this I expect as people report back on CC.

Not trying to start a flood of calls to Princess, but if you have friends or family sailing on same voyages as you and want to be linked, you might want to check with Princess if you are truly linked in their "normal"(?) system.  As I said, I could add friends in MC App as Travel Companions knowing their booking code, but apparently this doesn't mean Princess booking people see that.  IDK if another type of bug, nor any impacts.  At this point, all I know is she updated our records again.

My brain is stuck as I think there was some other nugget about DMW that I am not remembering.  I can post later if it comes to me.  For now, it will be interesting to see what DMW has to offer when it is back online.  Perhaps it is for some 2021 voyages.  Subsequent posts will indicate, but for now, it looks to be down.

I'll try to answer as much as I can.

>>>>As for the App download, you did not state which Samsung Galaxy you have, nor the operating system version. 

I spent all Friday afternoon trying to download the app.  It says the device is not compatible.  I spent a couple of hours on the phone Friday night to learn my phone is at version 7 and they require 8 or 9 (depends on who you talk to).  They informed my phone will never work -- to buy/borrow another.  I was told they would manually enter my info Saturday, but after 2+ hours on Saturday, it was determined no one worked on Saturday who could help.  That's when a manager took my dietary info.  I called back on Monday to have them manually enter my info only to get shuffled and shuffled around -- never knowing who I was on hold for with all three holds being 30-40 minutes.  I give up.  The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

>>>Since this is your first PCL cruise, have you set up an account in the App?  You need to setup credentials.  Did you set up an online account on Princess.com website?

Yes, I did set up in the info Friday afternoon on my computer -- as much as can be done on the computer (I think).

>>>>That said, the OCEAN Medallion support team should be able to help you get going.  You can also access your voyage by Booking Number, Name, Birthdate.  Have you tried this?  Once you are "IN" the app, you should go to PREFERENCES and enter your dining dietary needs.  

Yes, I did that Friday.  The only dining needs I've seen are the common ones:  low salt, diabetic, gluten free, etc.  I don't fit their neat little categories.

>>>>From what I’ve experienced and read, the Maitre D’ and waitstaff will bend over backwards to accommodate dietary needs. 

They have me captive on the ship for the first 36 hours.  I have to take some food with me until I can get off to buy more or I'm not comfortable getting on.  And no one so far at Princess has bent over backwards at all.  The best was the supervisor who was putting my diet needs in -- but then I learn she didn't really do it.  They just shuffle me around to someone else -- quite literally.

>>>I would first worry about how you will board. I am aware that you have to complete a covid health form which has to be turned in pre-cruise and you have to present original proof of full vaccination. 

I don't know anything about the covid health form but planned to bring my original proof of vaccination.  Does Princess send any e-mails to guests helping them know what they need when?  They told me they are assigning boarding times -- apparently don't intend to have the boarding fixed in the app before our cruise.  Meal times have to be signed up for.  I was told to do that after I board (even though the dining FAQs warn you not to wait).  Given my experience so far, I assume I'll be in the last boarding group and the last meal time.

>>>>Diet restrictions such as no salt, gluten free, no sugar, vegetarian, are frequently handled.

I don't fit in the neat categories.  To be honest, I can and prefer to figure it out myself.  Sometimes I have to rinse off sauces, pick out certain fruits or vegetables, etc.  I can make it work if I have the information.  They have refused to provide sample menus, say what food options I have, etc.  I can get no info whatsoever.

>>>There are other 24 hour dining options such as room service and the International Cafe. However, it may be difficult to get what you require. There is always fruit that can be delivered to your cabin if you require frequent eating for low sugar. 

Does anyone have a menu for room service?  And does it cost a separate fee?  Part of my problem is that I have zero visibility into anything on the ship.  They tell me to trust them that I'll have tons of food I love, but they've earned no trust.  Thanks for notifying me of the International Cafe.  I should be able to find portions of things I can eat there.  I am coming to the conclusion I need to find whatever food I can wherever I can, hoard it, and put it in the room refrig so I'll have something when I can't find anything.

>>>We travel with friends who are vegan and each night the head waiter works to develop meal options for them for the next evening. Our friends basically tell the head waiter what they want to eat and the chefs make it happen. 

I'm not looking for that level of attention.  I eat what I can and avoid what I can't.  I just need the information to know what's in what.  I'm not looking for custom-created meals.

>>>They were very apprehensive (as you are) the first time they sailed but they were so impressed with how their dietary restrictions were handled by Princess

I could not be less impressed with Princess so far.  I have trouble believing the phone lines are absolutely terrible but the ship personnel are fabulous.  It would make no sense for that to happen.

>>>>Aside from the MDR you will also have access to many food options at the buffet.

I have repeatedly asked if we need reservations for the buffet and can't get an answer.  Does anyone know?  Princess phone personnel don't seem to know much.  Perhaps that's why I get nothing but vague generalities.

Much of my concern is that the Princess phone lines provide zero information.  They shuffle me around and ignore all of the questions.  I can't get a single sample menu, can't get info on dining options and whether reservations are needed, can't get a list of the rules for bringing on food, etc.  They ignore me and tell me I'll love the food.  That's all they'll say.  I don't trust Princess and will only feel confident if I have food for at least the first 36 hours.

>>>Once you are able to get into the MC app there are 2 screens you can complete

I'm getting confused.  Is there one app or more apps?  I'll never get into the app for dining times and boarding as stated above.  I can get someone to enter some info for me, but I can never check it myself.  When I get to the ship, I figure I might as well put my phone and medallion in the safe.  They'll be of no use to me.

I can see the lists, but none of those choices in the list quite fits me, but aspects of some apply.  I just want to see some menus and have a clue what to expect.  I don't mind going to the buffet and picking out what I can eat.   I just can't find any info on the buffets or anything else.

5 minutes ago, DuncanBlizzard said:

>>>>As for the App download, you did not state which Samsung Galaxy you have, nor the operating system version. 

I spent all Friday afternoon trying to download the app.  It says the device is not compatible.  I spent a couple of hours on the phone Friday night to learn my phone is at version 7 and they require 8 or 9 (depends on who you talk to).  They informed my phone will never work -- to buy/borrow another.  I was told they would manually enter my info Saturday, but after 2+ hours on Saturday, it was determined no one worked on Saturday who could help.  That's when a manager took my dietary info.  I called back on Monday to have them manually enter my info only to get shuffled and shuffled around -- never knowing who I was on hold for with all three holds being 30-40 minutes.  I give up.  The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

YES, Android 7 is pretty old.  Came out in 2016 and no longer supported.

>>>Since this is your first PCL cruise, have you set up an account in the App?  You need to setup credentials.  Did you set up an online account on Princess.com website?

Yes, I did set up in the info Friday afternoon on my computer -- as much as can be done on the computer (I think).

>>>>That said, the OCEAN Medallion support team should be able to help you get going.  You can also access your voyage by Booking Number, Name, Birthdate.  Have you tried this?  Once you are "IN" the app, you should go to PREFERENCES and enter your dining dietary needs.  

Yes, I did that Friday.  The only dining needs I've seen are the common ones:  low salt, diabetic, gluten free, etc.  I don't fit their neat little categories.  OK, so you got the MC App installed somehow on some device, despite mentioning only Android 7 above.  Yes, I see on checking that section of the app, they only offer general categories of diet restrictions and don't offer an OTHER choice for guest to type in their needs.

>>>>From what I’ve experienced and read, the Maitre D’ and waitstaff will bend over backwards to accommodate dietary needs. 

They have me captive on the ship for the first 36 hours.  I have to take some food with me until I can get off to buy more or I'm not comfortable getting on.  And no one so far at Princess has bent over backwards at all.  The best was the supervisor who was putting my diet needs in -- but then I learn she didn't really do it.  They just shuffle me around to someone else -- quite literally.  I am not asking you to reveal personal info, but when I read the entire post, you don't seem to have specific allergies and such.  You mention being able to deal with it yourself given enough info.  Well, the staff on the ship will be very helpful to you.  I have little doubt.  

>>>I would first worry about how you will board. I am aware that you have to complete a covid health form which has to be turned in pre-cruise and you have to present original proof of full vaccination. 

I don't know anything about the covid health form but planned to bring my original proof of vaccination.  Does Princess send any e-mails to guests helping them know what they need when?  SOMETIMES They told me they are assigning boarding times -- apparently don't intend to have the boarding fixed in the app before our cruise. INTERESTING saying it won't be fixed as many customers already have selected boarding times for upcoming 2021 voyages.  Someone should be able to place you in a boarding group if this is open for your voyage date.  Meal times have to be signed up for.  I was told to do that after I board (even though the dining FAQs warn you not to wait). YES, guests need to "sign up" if they want Traditional Dining.  If you want Anytime (decide each day when/where prefer to dine), then you don't have to do it way ahead. Given my experience so far, I assume I'll be in the last boarding group and the last meal time.  You need to visit with the MD on board.  He will have a set time period for this on DAY 1 embarkation afternoon in one of the main dining rooms.  I expect the first voyages - at least - there will be a LONG line.  Just try and see him or one of the Head Waiters and you can get sorted out.  There should be something suitable for you based on past experience.  Meanwhile, someone at OCEAN Support team should be able to enter a dining preference in the system which will go to the MD on board.  The MD sets up the dining tables each voyage and from what I understand will still be quite involved with the TRADITIONAL Dining arrangements.

>>>>Diet restrictions such as no salt, gluten free, no sugar, vegetarian, are frequently handled.

I don't fit in the neat categories.  To be honest, I can and prefer to figure it out myself.  Sometimes I have to rinse off sauces, pick out certain fruits or vegetables, etc.  I can make it work if I have the information.  They have refused to provide sample menus, say what food options I have, etc.  I can get no info whatsoever.  I don't see how you can get sample menus.  There are sample menus online (Princess.com) for the Specialty Restaurants (cover charge applies).  There are no menus for the buffet.  At the buffet, you need to ask one of the buffet chefs about content of any dish which is not obvious to you.  As for Main Dining Rooms, those menus do not necessarily provide a complete list of ingredients and certainly not all the herbs and spices used.  IDK if you will get a detailed ingredient list like a recipe list from any of the chefs.  You can ask about ingredients of concern, but not sure you are going to see in printing all that you want.  Now, that said, if you can search on Cruise Critic (CC) and find some of the LIVE FROM reports where CC members blog their cruise, many include photos of the dinner menus each evening.  That will give you an idea of the food items offered.  But no one knows what the menus will be upon Return to Sea.  I do expect many old favorites to be back, but no doubt there will be some new dishes as well.  At least, I expect so.

>>>There are other 24 hour dining options such as room service and the International Cafe. However, it may be difficult to get what you require. There is always fruit that can be delivered to your cabin if you require frequent eating for low sugar. 

Does anyone have a menu for room service?  In the past, the Room Service menu has been rather limited unless staying in a Suite.  But, the new DMW seems to promise the moon such as dine anywhere.  While true, I'd still expect a limited menu. And does it cost a separate fee?  NO Part of my problem is that I have zero visibility into anything on the ship. I understand.  They tell me to trust them that I'll have tons of food I love, but they've earned no trust.  Have you not had similar issues in traveling before, perhaps staying at a resort, or just traveling to new places.  Have you not had success finding suitable food items?  Thanks for notifying me of the International Cafe.  I should be able to find portions of things I can eat there.  I am coming to the conclusion I need to find whatever food I can wherever I can, hoard it, and put it in the room refrig so I'll have something when I can't find anything.

>>>We travel with friends who are vegan and each night the head waiter works to develop meal options for them for the next evening. Our friends basically tell the head waiter what they want to eat and the chefs make it happen. 

I'm not looking for that level of attention.  I eat what I can and avoid what I can't.  I just need the information to know what's in what.  I'm not looking for custom-created meals.  Perhaps not, but you are going to need to discuss the food with Head Waiters in the DR or Buffet Chef(s) in that area.  As said before, I don't see how you are going to get the details you seem to require otherwise.

>>>They were very apprehensive (as you are) the first time they sailed but they were so impressed with how their dietary restrictions were handled by Princess

I could not be less impressed with Princess so far.  I have trouble believing the phone lines are absolutely terrible but the ship personnel are fabulous.  It would make no sense for that to happen.  Well, on the contrary.  The staff on-board are fabulous.  IN fact if some of the people running the ship ran head office, it would also be in ship-shape.  The real problem you are experiencing with Princess right now it an utter and complete eff-up by their IT team and IMO it is inexcusable and just look at the impression it is causing on a new customer.  Old customers like me know what the Princess experience is and we are upset as well.  But at least we know what we experienced before on a ship.  

>>>>Aside from the MDR you will also have access to many food options at the buffet.

I have repeatedly asked if we need reservations for the buffet and can't get an answer.  Does anyone know?  Princess phone personnel don't seem to know much.  Perhaps that's why I get nothing but vague generalities.  There has NEVER been a requirement for a res to access the buffet.  Nothing I have read or heard indicates this will be a requirement.  What WILL be different is that buffet staff will serve portions onto your plate and you won't be self-serving most or all of the items.

Much of my concern is that the Princess phone lines provide zero information.  They shuffle me around and ignore all of the questions.  I can't get a single sample menu, can't get info on dining options and whether reservations are needed, can't get a list of the rules for bringing on food, etc.  They ignore me and tell me I'll love the food.  That's all they'll say.  I don't trust Princess and will only feel confident if I have food for at least the first 36 hours.  I don't know what else to say, other than you seem to be asking for very specific information that can only be provided by the restaurant staff on the ships.  IN general, fresh foods cannot be brought on board nor taken off board in any port - not just where you first board.  Snack type things in packages are okay.  Other than that, I cannot help you.  Lots of the phone staff have not been on a ship nor know those details.

>>>Once you are able to get into the MC app there are 2 screens you can complete

I'm getting confused.  Is there one app or more apps?  There is one MC App, but it has a lot of various functions in it.  The only other "window" into Princess is the website. I'll never get into the app for dining times and boarding as stated above.  I can get someone to enter some info for me, but I can never check it myself.  When I get to the ship, I figure I might as well put my phone and medallion in the safe.  They'll be of no use to me.  You will need the Medallion.  It replaces a plastic cruise card and is your ID to order a drink, leave or return to the ship, open your stateroom door, etc.

I can see the lists, but none of those choices in the list quite fits me, but aspects of some apply.  I just want to see some menus and have a clue what to expect.  I don't mind going to the buffet and picking out what I can eat.   I just can't find any info on the buffets or anything else.

See in RED above where I have attempted to clarify some things for you.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DuncanBlizzard said:
I hope someone has more answers than Princess does.  We reserved the August 1st sailing to Alaska two weeks ago.  It's my first ever cruise (and my last ever given my experience with Princess).  I've read a lot on this forum but still have a lot to learn.  I spent 2-3 hours Friday, Saturday, and Monday on the phone trying to get the app to work and to then get them to manually enter anything for me, and nothing has happened more than them telling me I don't have the "correct" software version on my Samsung Galaxy (with which I have had no other problems downloading apps) and that I should buy/borrow a new phone for my one-week cruise.  I am dreading this cruise and having trouble sleeping.

I have some significant dietary restrictions and was informed yesterday I missed the date to register those (required 35 days before sailing).  The supervisor I talked to on Saturday claimed she took down my restrictions, but I was told yesterday that she did not.  We can get no boarding or meal reservations, and I can't take the late meal times.  I don't know if I can get food that I can eat and no one will tell me if I have any access to buffets or other food if I don't have reservations (which I doubt I'll ever have).

I've given up and will be bringing on all of my own food.  I was told yesterday that Princess has a long list of rules for bringing on food and will confiscate everything they can.  I asked for the list of rules and all I got was to bring nothing that needs to be heated and no fruits and vegetables.  The list of what I can bring on, according to her, is water, soda, potato chips and peanuts (and I can only consume the water on that list).

Does anyone know where this list of rules for bringing food on is located?

Does anyone know if we can get food at any time on the ship if we don't have reservations and don't have the app?

Thanks!

You can bring a lot more than potato chips and peanuts. We always bring individually packaged snacks such as trail mix,  protein bars, single envelopes of protein shake mix, etc.

If you don't require special ingredients, the 35 day thing should not be a problem.  They really do have a wide variety of food available. What do you normally eat?  Others on this board have shared very positive experiences with special dietary needs, but keeping it secret and just hoping to find the food you want is not going to provide the most satisfying experience for you.

Since Princess hasn't actually started sailing yet, no one knows quite what it will look like post COVID.  I do know that the staff on board are extremely different from those in the call center, and typically very eager to please and meet your needs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DuncanBlizzard said:

I just want to see some menus and have a clue what to expect.

Here are some past menus from the Royal Princess. In my experience these menus are typical of the meals served in the main dining room. I hope this might help put your mind at ease on the type of food that is served in the dining room. 

royal princess menus.pdf

• Like 3

I just want to see some menus and have a clue what to expect.

Another thing that is helpful to know if you can mix and match items on the menu. For example I’m really picky about vegetables so if I don’t like a vegetable that comes with my entree I tell them to leave it off and substitute something for another entree. You really can pick and choose whatever you like from anything on the menu. Also if you get something and you don’t like it then you send it back and order something else. It’s your vacation and they will bring you whatever you want from the menu. 

You said you prefer “to figure it out yourself”. Well once you figure out what you can/want to eat just tell your waiter and they will bring you what you order.

As for the buffet you have never needed a reservation but that was before COVID. I don’t think we will know for sure if it will require a reservation until the first ship sails on 7/25. If I had to bet I’d say it will be the same as before with no reservation required. I think the only difference will be the staff will serve you whatever items you want. You’ll point to what you want and they’ll put it on the plate for you. This will actually be a really good change and one many of us hope will continue into the future. 

I hope this information is helpful.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, KLM3164 said:

Here are some past menus from the Royal Princess. In my experience these menus are typical of the meals served in the main dining room. I hope this might help put your mind at ease on the type of food that is served in the dining room. 

Yes, partially representative, but I think that sample is pretty old, right?

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Yes, partially representative, but I think that sample is pretty old, right?

I believe the menus are a few years old but many of the items were still on the menu when I last sailed in November 2019. I also found a room service menu online from 2017 so hopefully this might also help @DuncanBlizzard

A8F8BE07-6073-4AF8-AB2B-997E94E33FC1.jpeg

0B46E5E2-B94C-4A66-8B12-50D11FF4AD53.jpeg

• Like 1

>>>Here are some past menus from the Royal Princess. In my experience these menus are typical of the meals served in the main dining room. I hope this might help put your mind at ease on the type of food that is served in the dining room. 

This is the most helpful information I have gotten to date!!!

That's fine if they're old, and I don't expect to see these exact things.  Still, it gives me a feel for what to expect.  I'm pleasantly surprised they even label some meats as corn fed and have goat's cheese.  It shows someone is aware of such issues.  And if I can mix and match vegetables too, I can definitely find something I can eat.  When I can't mix or match, I just leave what I can't eat on the plate and waste it.

And I travel for work so I have some experience making things work.  The huge difference is I always have a grocery store nearby to make up the deficit of anything provided otherwise as well as a refrig, microwave, hot plate, etc. in hotel rooms.  I have a lot of control over my food and do a combination of provided food and self-acquired food.  And even having access to basic things like almond butter or quality coconut milk can compliment otherwise minimal meals when on the road but aren't allowed on Princess.

Princess' policy on bringing food on board seems more geared toward protecting their ability to charge extra for such things than addressing passenger needs.

And no, I don't have the allergies most people think of, but my doctors label them as such.  I call them intolerances, but eating them leads to joint and muscle pain/weakness, nerve issues, fainting, etc. which can ground me for weeks.  No "vacation" is worth that.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, KLM3164 said:

Another thing that is helpful to know if you can mix and match items on the menu. For example I’m really picky about vegetables so if I don’t like a vegetable that comes with my entree I tell them to leave it off and substitute something for another entree. You really can pick and choose whatever you like from anything on the menu. Also if you get something and you don’t like it then you send it back and order something else. It’s your vacation and they will bring you whatever you want from the menu. 

You said you prefer “to figure it out yourself”. Well once you figure out what you can/want to eat just tell your waiter and they will bring you what you order.

As for the buffet you have never needed a reservation but that was before COVID. I don’t think we will know for sure if it will require a reservation until the first ship sails on 7/25. If I had to bet I’d say it will be the same as before with no reservation required. I think the only difference will be the staff will serve you whatever items you want. You’ll point to what you want and they’ll put it on the plate for you. This will actually be a really good change and one many of us hope will continue into the future. 

I hope this information is helpful.

Also I often just ask them to bring me a LARGE (as opposed to the regular small size) Caesar Salad with or without grilled chicken as my main entree. They are very accommodating and happy to help. Fresh fruit plates are always available each night as appetizer or dessert, yet not on the menus. Tell your head waiter what you need. He can make suggestions and find ways to get you what you need. He will remember each night. 

Edited by RRFan
  • Like 1

>>>Here are some past menus from the Royal Princess. In my experience these menus are typical of the meals served in the main dining room. I hope this might help put your mind at ease on the type of food that is served in the dining room. 

This is the most helpful information I have gotten to date!!!

That's fine if they're old, and I don't expect to see these exact things.  Still, it gives me a feel for what to expect.  I'm pleasantly surprised they even label some meats as corn fed and have goat's cheese.  It shows someone is aware of such issues.  And if I can mix and match vegetables too, I can definitely find something I can eat.  When I can't mix or match, I just leave what I can't eat on the plate and waste it.

And I travel for work so I have some experience making things work.  The huge difference is I always have a grocery store nearby to make up the deficit of anything provided otherwise as well as a refrig, microwave, hot plate, etc. in hotel rooms.  I have a lot of control over my food and do a combination of provided food and self-acquired food.  And even having access to basic things like almond butter or quality coconut milk can compliment otherwise minimal meals when on the road but aren't allowed on Princess.

Princess' policy on bringing food on board seems more geared toward protecting their ability to charge extra for such things than addressing passenger needs.

And no, I don't have the allergies most people think of, but my doctors label them as such.  I call them intolerances, but eating them leads to joint and muscle pain/weakness, nerve issues, fainting, etc. which can ground me for weeks.  No "vacation" is worth that.

Thanks!

Here is an cruise friendly way to bring almond butter on board, if it is one of your staples:

Justin's Honey Almond Butter Squeeze Packs, Gluten-Free, Non-GMO, Sustainably Sourced, Pack Of 10 (1.15Oz Each)Justin's Classic Almond Butter Squeeze Packs 10 Count (1.15 Oz Each) - Vegan

I don't know if you could bring cans of coconut milk.  They really have quite an array of foods available.

4 hours ago, DuncanBlizzard said:

I don't fit in the neat categories.  To be honest, I can and prefer to figure it out myself.  Sometimes I have to rinse off sauces, pick out certain fruits or vegetables, etc.  I can make it work if I have the information.  They have refused to provide sample menus, say what food options I have, etc.  I can get no info whatsoever.

I'm not looking for that level of attention.  I eat what I can and avoid what I can't.  I just need the information to know what's in what.  I'm not looking for custom-created meals.

The head waiters on board will be much easier to work with than the people answering the telephone at Princess. The only reason they need information in advance is if they need to stock something for you that they don't normally stock. If you can eat much of the normal food and just have to avoid some foods, then there should be no problem onboard (even if they don't know in advance).

The normal procedure in the main dining rooms for anyone with dietary restrictions is to order from the head waiter the night before - for dinner everyday and for lunch on sea days. The head waiters are trained to handle dietary restrictions - the waiters are not. By ordering the night before, you don't need to rinse off sauces or take other actions yourself - they will either serve the item without a sauce or with a sauce that does not contain any of the items you can't eat.

Don't try to do it yourself. You don't know what is in each of the dishes, and the waiters are not trained to know all the ingredients. That is one reason you will be talking with the head waiter. You are not asking for anything special. Handling dietary restrictions is a normal part of the head waiter's job.

This level of attention from the head waiter is not an unusual level of attention. It is their job. It will be easier for them - and for you - if you let them do their job. The kitchens are set up to modify menus for dietary restrictions with the one-day advance notice. They are even set up to avoid cross-contamination with other dishes.

Since you have more complicated dietary restrictions, I recommend you prepare several copies of a written list of everything you cannot eat to give to your head waiter. It may also be useful to specify the level of the allergy - do trace amounts from cross contamination affect you or just larger amounts?

It will be easier to handle your restrictions in a main dining room than in a buffet. It will also be easier if you can eat in the same dining room every night with the same head waiter, so you won't have to explain your restrictions to more than one head waiter. If you can't schedule this in advance, you should be able to arrange this by talking with the maitre d' onboard.

I recommend eating at a buffet only for lunch on sea days when the main dining room is not open. At the buffet, talk with the head chef or head waiter. It may be useful to have a written copy of your restrictions. He would then be able to tell you what would fit your restrictions. This will be more complicated, since you will not be able to talk with him in advance, and they will have less flexibility than the main dining room to modify dishes.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DuncanBlizzard said:

A very unfair accusation. There are numerous reasons why there are restrictions on what you can bring on board,  and profiteering is not one of them. 

You have been told numerous times how the staff will go out of their way to accomodate you, at no additional cost. In fact, your intolerances cost Princess money,  as additional labour is requured to individually prepare your meals. None of this extra work results in you being asked to pay a singke cent extra.

Those of us who just eat the "standard" meals, with no dietary requurements, are, in effect, subsidising those like you,who require personal attention. Not that this is a problem, but you do seem intent on denigrating Princess at every opportunity.

If you cared to share some of your intolerances, others on here would be abke to give you more information, but for some reason,  you do not seem to want to pass on even the most basic facts. 

• Like 8

6 hours ago, NavyVeteran said:

I recommend eating at a buffet only for lunch on sea days when the main dining room is not open.

I think the DR's are open on sea days since so many people on board and not open on port days when most people leave the ship.  Exception is embarkation day when a mid-ship DR is open and usually only repeat cruisers are aware of it.

• Like 2

Assuming Majestic Princess.

There is no charge for room service. There are some special items, example chocolate covered strawberries, that do have a per item charge.

The International Cafe serves doughnuts, pastries, some yogurt items, an egg mc muffin type sandwich in the morning. For the balance of the day they serve 4 or 5 different panini sandwiches, usually a quiche, something like an Irish meat pie, a few different salads, desserts like puddings, cake and the like. I don't think you can have anything prepared to order. 

The Burger and Lobster grill at the pool is open from 11am until mid evening. It serves burgers, dogs fries, chicken all no charge and a lobster item for an extra charge.

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ships/products/dining-included/burger-and-lobster-grill-mj.html

There is also a noodle bar by the pool open 11am until mid evening serving Asian noodle selections. There are videos on line

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ships/products/dining-included/chopsticks-noodle-bar.html

Alfredo's Pizza on deck 6 mid ship, no charge, is open 11am until mid evening. Waiter served they have individual pizzas, some salads, calzone, some appetizers. While there are certain pizzas listed on the menu, most like you can select your own toppings from what they have as pizzas are prepared to order. Lots of menus on line.

I think you will be surprised of how well the dining staff can handle your requests and needs. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DuncanBlizzard said:

Yes, I did that Friday.  The only dining needs I've seen are the common ones:  low salt, diabetic, gluten free, etc.  I don't fit their neat little categories.

They have me captive on the ship for the first 36 hours.  I have to take some food with me until I can get off to buy more or I'm not comfortable getting on.  And no one so far at Princess has bent over backwards at all.  The best was the supervisor who was putting my diet needs in -- but then I learn she didn't really do it.  They just shuffle me around to someone else -- quite literally.

I don't know anything about the covid health form but planned to bring my original proof of vaccination.  Does Princess send any e-mails to guests helping them know what they need when?  They told me they are assigning boarding times -- apparently don't intend to have the boarding fixed in the app before our cruise.  Meal times have to be signed up for.  I was told to do that after I board (even though the dining FAQs warn you not to wait).  Given my experience so far, I assume I'll be in the last boarding group and the last meal time.

Does anyone have a menu for room service?  And does it cost a separate fee?  Part of my problem is that I have zero visibility into anything on the ship.  They tell me to trust them that I'll have tons of food I love, but they've earned no trust.  Thanks for notifying me of the International Cafe.  I should be able to find portions of things I can eat there.  I am coming to the conclusion I need to find whatever food I can wherever I can, hoard it, and put it in the room refrig so I'll have something when I can't find anything.

I could not be less impressed with Princess so far.  I have trouble believing the phone lines are absolutely terrible but the ship personnel are fabulous.  It would make no sense for that to happen.

I have repeatedly asked if we need reservations for the buffet and can't get an answer.  Does anyone know?  Princess phone personnel don't seem to know much.  Perhaps that's why I get nothing but vague generalities.

Much of my concern is that the Princess phone lines provide zero information.  They shuffle me around and ignore all of the questions.  I can't get a single sample menu, can't get info on dining options and whether reservations are needed, can't get a list of the rules for bringing on food, etc.  They ignore me and tell me I'll love the food.  That's all they'll say.  I don't trust Princess and will only feel confident if I have food for at least the first 36 hours.

I'm getting confused.  Is there one app or more apps?  I'll never get into the app for dining times and boarding as stated above.  I can get someone to enter some info for me, but I can never check it myself.  When I get to the ship, I figure I might as well put my phone and medallion in the safe.  They'll be of no use to me.

If I were you I would cancel. You are too high maintenance to have a good time.

• Like 4

This morning I tried DMW, got “Sorry, try again”.  I deleted the  MC and reinstall and was able to book @ 6pm for 6 in the same dining room for 14 days.

All 6 have a free specialty dining, MC shows that we would have to pay.

4 minutes ago, phabric said:

All 6 have a free specialty dining, MC shows that we would have to pay.

We have the same issue with a specialty promo on a July 2022 cruise for our group of 8. If it stays like that I'm hoping Princess will revert to their old method of just assigning promo reservations and allowing changes to be made through the DINE line.  If they do so, I also hope they keep the linked traveling companions together.

After reading Steelers36 post above, I updated the app and was able to make 1st seating traditional dining for the entire cruise with my father-in-law as a travel companion.  It did not delete what was already in place, so I went in an deleted these entries.  The only odd part is when I look at the app with my sign-on it shows everything and everybody listed for each day.  If I sign on as my father-in-law it shows him and 2 others but we are not named.  My wife shows the 2 of us and 1 other but doesn't list my father-in-law's name.  At this point, I think we are good.  I will call in some time and verify all our bookings are linked in case we sign up for shore excursions or something so we don't get separated.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, capriccio said:

We have the same issue with a specialty promo on a July 2022 cruise for our group of 8. If it stays like that I'm hoping Princess will revert to their old method of just assigning promo reservations and allowing changes to be made through the DINE line.  If they do so, I also hope they keep the linked traveling companions together.

We were on a Holland cruise with 16 people.  They had a specialty promo that most people had,  Holland assigned times for our group with different times from 8-9.  We were unable to change the times.

if, I can’t do on MC, will book on day 1 onboard.

13 minutes ago, phabric said:

We were on a Holland cruise with 16 people.  They had a specialty promo that most people had,  Holland assigned times for our group with different times from 8-9.  We were unable to change the times.

if, I can’t do on MC, will book on day 1 onboard.

From the sound of things it'll be a busy day for the Maître D". 😉