What do you take, even though it’s provided?

Eddie99

9 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Pauline puts metal hangars individually in clothes we can hang up so when unpacking we can hang most of our clothes up straight away.

That is exactly what Mrs YP does, I don't get involved as I know I will put things in the wrong place. 

• Like 1

Only thing we take is battery t lights for toilet at night. 

Boss refuses to use wire coat hangers, first request is for more hangers never had a problem.

Of course madam takes own shampoo  etc. But that's not because what's provided isn't nice, she just has own preferences, but I expect that's normal.

Never take tea etc, just ask for what we want, never a problem with extra  chamomile tea or anything. 

I’m sorry just re read your title and it says “even though it’s supplied “ so it would be 

All my own hand soap , bubble bath because we don’t have a bath only a walk in shower so a nice relaxing bubble bath , all our own shampoo/ conditioner, and my own extra wire coat hangers because I just take too much when I’m away , I’m one of those people who you can knock on the door and I’ll have it if you need it 😁

• Like 1

With me from Scotland - the hairdryer (the ship ones are useless, especially for long hair) and a first aid kit.

I buy miniatures of my usual shampoo, hairspray etc in Boots in Southampton.  And a tube of ready salted Pringles from the Co-op next door to the Premier Inn.

Creature of habit!

Fresh milk as I don't like long life milk, it lasts about 5 days in the cabin fridge so I restock when in port. . But now that I have discovered ginger tea which doesn't need milk, I might just take that. 

1 hour ago, swaddy said:

Fresh milk as I don't like long life milk, it lasts about 5 days in the cabin fridge so I restock when in port. . But now that I have discovered ginger tea which doesn't need milk, I might just take that. 

We also take a small fresh milk on as you say last about 5 days then we order room service breakfast, keep the milk jug they send and then every day go and get the milk up from the buffet as that one is fine better than the small long life milk you get in the cabin .

• Like 2

I’m planning on taking my own hairdryer and shampoo/conditioner plus some of my trusty clothes hangers with sloping shoulders for my knitwear to avoid lumpy shoulders on my cardigans

Edited by SarahHben
  • Like 2

Most have missed the actual question, “what do you take even though it is supplied”.

For us work the other way round, if it is supplied we definitely don’t take it.

Now I know why I see people boarding on a 7 night cruise with two large suitcases each.😄

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

Most have missed the actual question, “what do you take even though it is supplied”.

Now I know why I see people boarding on a 7 night cruise with two large suitcases each.😄

I don't take anything if it is provided as it means less to pack/unpack etc.I still take the kitchen sink, mainly dresses,shoes and handbags but hate unpacking so if something is in the cabin, I use it and quite like The White Company toiletries provided

• Like 4

Different strokes for different folks, I guess

I’m disappointed there hasn’t been anything to truly surprise me, though I still love Graham & Pauline’s classy tablecloth (downside - another bliddy thing to wash once back home)

PS

I agree that taking some clothes on hangers (and in packing cubes) can make the packing/unpacking chore less of a bind (oh, what we would give to have ‘the bind’ of packing and unpacking just now 🙄)

PPS

Your steward will get you as many extra hangers* as you want, so there’s really no need to take extras

*just wire or plastic - not the wooden ones

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Different strokes for different folks, I guess

I’m disappointed there hasn’t been anything to truly surprise me, though I still love Graham & Pauline’s classy tablecloth (downside - another bliddy thing to wash once back home)

PS

I agree that taking some clothes on hangers (and in packing cubes) can make the packing/unpacking chore less of a bind (oh, what we would give to have ‘the bind’ of packing and unpacking just now 🙄)

PPS

Your steward will get you as many extra hangers* as you want, so there’s really no need to take extras

*just wire or plastic - not the wooden ones

PPPS the steward has never been able to supply small hangers for childrens clothes and the big ones stretch the dresses and necks of the clothes. Hence why we take our own. 

Oh and a plug in night light. As the inside rooms are pitch black. Mainly for the little one to use toilet in night

• Like 1

Yes, packing to accommodate children’s requirements is a different process altogether, I’m sure

Looks like a lot of us pack a (motion sensitive) night light.  I wonder how difficult that would be for the ship designers/builders to build in to new ships?

9 hours ago, swaddy said:

What a good idea, we're not keen on the long life milk either. Another addition to my list.

Avril

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MX-Drew said:

Even if it's supplied it doesn't necessarily mean it's suitable. The milk  in the cabin is awful, so is the coffee, the biscuits are hard and inedible, the shampoo and shower gel cause me to itch and a facecloth imo is next to useless. When I sit on the balcony at 6am with a coffee and biscuit I want to be able to relax and enjoy it. I don't go on a cruise and expect to be uncomfortable or scratch continually the entire time😉

Avril

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

What a good idea, we're not keen on the long life milk either. Another addition to my list.

Avril

I know this conversation has been had before, but I defy anyone to tell the difference between UHT skimmed milk and fresh skimmed milk,  in a cup of tea! 

Just as a thought having read through this thread and admitting that the only thing we take that is already provided is the wife has a particular make of hair shampoo that she uses so she takes a bottle of that. Being a man I dont care what I put on what little bit of hair I have left to wash. But does get me thinking do people take their own tea, coffee, milk, pillow cases etc. if they go on a land based holiday in a hotel. Over the years I have seen many question on threads in cruise forums about types of tea, coffee they serve but do they worry about the same when going to an hotel.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Just as a thought having read through this thread and admitting that the only thing we take that is already provided is the wife has a particular make of hair shampoo that she uses so she takes a bottle of that. Being a man I dont care what I put on what little bit of hair I have left to wash. But does get me thinking do people take their own tea, coffee, milk, pillow cases etc. if they go on a land based holiday in a hotel. Over the years I have seen many question on threads in cruise forums about types of tea, coffee they serve but do they worry about the same when going to an hotel.

Every time we go away be it 1 night or 21 nights we always bring our own toiletries and only ever just use our own, pillow cases,coffee etc. 

WE only use Simple soap as I have had skin rashes before with hotel and ship soaps.

Pauline likes her own towels for drying her face.

13 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

I actually had a very popular thread on Royal Caribbean about the large selection of teas on board.

20 hours ago, Ardennais said:

I don’t even own a tablecloth, never used one so I’m certainly not taking one on a cruise!

Not sure if this will work nowadays with all the worries about viruses - always have a balcony and always ask the house-elf if its possible to have a cloth for my balcony breakfasts - on Cunard QV and QM2 they have obliged and kept a fresh one each day in the cabin for the duration - P&O Arcadia same thing, P&O Aurora had to ask each time

51 minutes ago, teabear said:

Not sure if this will work nowadays with all the worries about viruses - always have a balcony and always ask the house-elf if its possible to have a cloth for my balcony breakfasts - on Cunard QV and QM2 they have obliged and kept a fresh one each day in the cabin for the duration - P&O Arcadia same thing, P&O Aurora had to ask each time

Who is the house-elf? I hope it is not what I am thinking you mean because if it is you should be ashamed of yourself coming out and putting in an open forum such a comment.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

Yes, packing to accommodate children’s requirements is a different process altogether, I’m sure

Looks like a lot of us pack a (motion sensitive) night light.  I wonder how difficult that would be for the ship designers/builders to build in to new ships?

Saga have installed a low output light in the bathrooms of their new ships.

Edited by Glenndale
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1