5-13-21 New CDC Covid 19 "When You’ve Been Fully Vaccinated" guidlines...

MishelleMcc

6 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Yes, a major problem with testing, especially any quick tests, are the false results, both false positives and false negatives. Both are a problem.

A test is only as good if it is used with a thorough history and examination.  

On 5/31/2021 at 3:10 AM, caribill said:

The CDC feels that the recovered must still be fully vaccinated in order to take a cruise where vaccinations are required.

Thank you but more and more the science is saying the recovered do have immunity.  It may keep the recovered from sailing.  

3 hours ago, sept10dsm said:

Thank you but more and more the science is saying the recovered do have immunity.  It may keep the recovered from sailing.  

Exactly.  Recently read about a study that indicates natural immunity from having the virus could last for a lifetime. Obviously, hard to know that for sure given we are only about 18 months in now, but there are people that don’t want it because of these new studies.  

Reading thru all these posts and can understand people not wanting their cruise to have to go into quarantine based on an outbreak… I share the same concern and I would hope the cruise lines would have a better plan to address outbreaks, especially given there’s always a chance of a new variant that may be more resistant to the vaccine.  That’s my bigger concern and I am curious if anyone has seen the cruise line plans to address any possible outbreak scenario.  I certainly wouldn’t want to leave for a one week trip and end up being stuck for weeks / months due to something like this.  

Edited by ccndfw
Added info

8 hours ago, ccndfw said:

Exactly.  Recently read about a study that indicates natural immunity from having the virus could last for a lifetime. Obviously, hard to know that for sure given we are only about 18 months in now, but there are people that don’t want it because of these new studies.  

I thought what I heard on TV was that the recovered who also get the vaccine may end up having lifetime immunity and may not need booster shots.

• Like 2

On 6/1/2021 at 10:34 PM, caribill said:

Not if they get the vaccine.

Yes, understood, but with so many studies and proof the recovered actually have lasting antibodies, they apparently won't ever get the disease again.  The vaccine doesn't guarantee a person not to get sick.  

• Like 2

On 6/2/2021 at 9:41 AM, Daniel A said:

I thought what I heard on TV was that the recovered who also get the vaccine may end up having lifetime immunity and may not need booster shots.

yes, more and more studies on this plus apparently, (and I know a few) the recovered have stronger side effect from the vaccine since their body already has antibodies.  Who am I to say but this would be the first disease I've heard of where having it doesn't matter.  They are just trying to convince all to get the shot.  More and more studies are coming out on this and many recovered may not wish to take the vaccine.  No proof the vaccinated don't get it at all.  Look what happened when Yankees were given their before game tests even though fully vaccinated.  And Bill Maher.  Same thing  not sick but once their company policy was followed and they came up positive  all the restrictions, quarentines.  I don't ever want to be a part of that and be stuck on a ship.  

7 minutes ago, sept10dsm said:

Yes, understood, but with so many studies and proof the recovered actually have lasting antibodies, they apparently won't ever get the disease again.  The vaccine doesn't guarantee a person not to get sick.  

There are no guarantees in life.  Someone who has recovered from Covid-19 should also take the vaccine.  The side effects may be a little more intense, but that may mean that the immune system is kicking into high gear.  Taking the vaccine after a Covid-19 recovery is like wearing a belt and suspenders.  Everybody I know who has recovered from Covid-19 took the vaccine as well.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, sept10dsm said:

yes, more and more studies on this plus apparently, (and I know a few) the recovered have stronger side effect from the vaccine since their body already has antibodies.  Who am I to say but this would be the first disease I've heard of where having it doesn't matter.  They are just trying to convince all to get the shot.  More and more studies are coming out on this and many recovered may not wish to take the vaccine.  No proof the vaccinated don't get it at all.  Look what happened when Yankees were given their before game tests even though fully vaccinated.  And Bill Maher.  Same thing  not sick but once their company policy was followed and they came up positive  all the restrictions, quarentines.  I don't ever want to be a part of that and be stuck on a ship.  

I'm not sure what point you are making here.  If you are that concerned about being a part of 'that', don't get on a ship.  Does that solve the problem or are you hinting at another solution?

3 hours ago, Daniel A said:

There are no guarantees in life.  Someone who has recovered from Covid-19 should also take the vaccine.  The side effects may be a little more intense, but that may mean that the immune system is kicking into high gear.  Taking the vaccine after a Covid-19 recovery is like wearing a belt and suspenders.  Everybody I know who has recovered from Covid-19 took the vaccine as well.

My wife and I both had covid19 and recovered we both got the Pfizer vaccine shots. She exhibited some soreness for two days both times. My first was was really bad. Shoulder hurt real bad, got a 101.2 fever for two days, real weak. Second one was just a sore shoulder. My daughter had covid19 and recovered. She got the two Moderna shots. Both times she was hurting really bad, sick, fever, weak, nausea. Her husband also go the covid19 and recovered. He got the Moderna shots. Sore arm both times. No big deal for him. So it looks like many have different results from the shots. Better than the alternative.

• Like 3

I sure hope this moves thru the courts quickly.  The desires of the majority of people who regularly cruise and settled law regarding jurisdiction of cruise lines suggest that the State of Florida will lose this battle. Ironically, Florida ports, their employees and the Florida economy will win the war. 
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/politics/os-ne-desantis-cdc-cruises-20210603-owotlw4sv5advpalolylcpifgm-story.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+business%2Fthebottomline+(The+Bottom+Line)

And there are cruise lines like Viking that do not accept children under 18.  

Really, a state governor has no authority over an international cruise line.  The cruise line can basically "port" anywhere, and customers will still travel there.

All Viking Bermuda cruises starting mid-June are just about sold out.  (And yes, I am booked on one of those cruises for this summer--fully vaccinated, multiple covid tests required in advance, and tests during the cruise, excursions bubble.  And all cabins have balconies!)

My Princess cruise scheduled for 2022 is in Europe.  There is no reason why I ever really have to go to Florida for a cruise.  Besides,  I value my health enough that I prefer to travel only with those that are like-minded.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, LibertyBella said:

Really, a state governor has no authority over an international cruise line.  The cruise line can basically "port" anywhere, and customers will still travel there.

All Viking Bermuda cruises starting mid-June are just about sold out.  (And yes, I am booked on one of those cruises for this summer--fully vaccinated, multiple covid tests required in advance, and tests during the cruise, excursions bubble.  And all cabins have balconies!)

My Princess cruise scheduled for 2022 is in Europe.  There is no reason why I ever really have to go to Florida for a cruise.  Besides,  I value my health enough that I prefer to travel only with those that are like-minded.

It absolutely does when those ships dock at a STATE-OWNED facility. Your contention that the port state has no jurisdiction over a cruise ship docked at a state port is patently false.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ChutChut said:

It absolutely does when those ships dock at a STATE-OWNED facility. Your contention that the port state has no jurisdiction over a cruise ship docked at a state port is patently false.

I researched this and found that some ports are state owned but not others. The local county governs the port. Some are governed by federal also. So the whole thing is a big chaotic mess!

On 6/1/2021 at 9:32 PM, sept10dsm said:

My wife's beautician and her husband both were infected with COVID-19.  He died and she lived.  He doctors all told her to get the vaccination.  Having had COVID-19 is not as safe as having the vaccination against the virus and its mutations.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, PRNole47 said:

This is all theater. DeSantis knows he can't win in court (recall the "No shoes, no shirt, no service" signs? They're all still legal). It's all being done to boost his numbers and get a slice of Trump's base in his potential run for president in 2024.  As long as he's seen "battling" the CDC, or the "science," or those who advocate any aspect of "the virus," DeSantis is going to keep fanning the flames.

Right on the nose!!!!

• Like 1

On 5/14/2021 at 6:03 AM, PMGS247 said:

I think the cruise industry will find a way around the FL executive orders and I think the Gov of Florida will be quietly happy when they do.  He will publicly oppose it for political purposes but behind closed doors be happy to be overruled and get back all the jobs and revenue from cruising.

When push comes to shove the almighty dollar will win out, and holding cruise lines to the current executive orders vs allowing vaccine validation will result in a fraction of cruises operating, if at all.  This is too costly to too many people...I think something will give.

I agree...something will give, the cruise lines...RCI already has and the others including Princess will SOON follow as you say, they are way behind in chasing that almighty dollar!

2 hours ago, gmjc2 said:

I researched this and found that some ports are state owned but not others. The local county governs the port. Some are governed by federal also. So the whole thing is a big chaotic mess!

Cruise ships DO NOT tie up at federal ports...and those under the jurisdiction of counites and cities will also have to comply with state mandates...

On 6/4/2021 at 2:34 AM, LibertyBella said:

Virgin

On 6/3/2021 at 11:04 PM, K.T.B. said:

DeSantis is such a fool....  Businesses can determine an age limit of who they let in or, in this case, on board.  Regarding this line in the article:  [DeSantis] accused the federal agency of discriminating against children and breaking state law by insisting most passengers and crew be vaccinated before a ship can sail.

Also, according to the EEOC, your employer can make you get vaccinated, though there are some exceptions (i.e. pregnancy):  LINK

The guy just doesn't have a legal leg to stand on here.

Please keep your Political opinions to yourself. No place for them on here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/3/2021 at 5:22 PM, sept10dsm said:

Better not be taking methotrexate.

A small study on patients in New York and Germany found that a quarter of people who take a common drug for inflammatory types of arthritis mounted a weaker immune system response to the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine than those not taking the medication.

For some, these “weaker” responses involved lower levels of antibodies, but most of the patients taking the drug failed to generate an adequate boost in other key immune system cells, called CD8+ killer T cells, that can help prevent coronavirus infection.

The drug, called methotrexate, is one of the most effective and widely used medications for inflammatory conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis, which affects about 1.3 million Americans; it’s also used to treat some forms of cancer.

All this may be moot, since Royal Caribbean just reversed its mask policy and announced earlier today it will no longer have a mask mandate and will allow unmasked pax on its coming cruises. Maybe the first domino to fall?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PRNole47 said:

All this may be moot, since Royal Caribbean just reversed its mask policy and announced earlier today it will no longer have a mask mandate and will allow unmasked pax on its coming cruises. Maybe the first domino to fall?

Or the first cruise line to go broke playing loose with their passengers’ health....

• Like 2