The Daily for Tuesday May 18, 2021

richwmn

56 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Concerning museums:  I wonder if most people are like us.  Love to visit them and similar attractions when travelling, but seldom visit the ones at home.  For example, I have enjoyed the aquarium in Singapore and Yokohama, but have never visited the one in Seattle.  Visited the zoo in Sydney, but not the one in Seattle for more than 40 years

Let me try to top that.  While I've been to some Baltimore museums, I've never been to the Aquarium.  I've been to the Maryland Science Center only once.  It was on a port call on a Crystal Symphony cruise from New York to Miami.

Roy

• Like 11

Good morning.

Great quote.  I well remember our 3 kids fighting over windows.  Then we got a van and traveling became much easier.  The old VW van was slow but better with everyone spread out!

Yes, remember well the Mt St Helen's eruption.  It was just unbelievable watching the news.  Will always remember all the timber going down the river looking like matchsticks in a muddy flow.  Thanks for pictures of it now.   We see Mt St Helens most afternoons as we cross the Columbia coming home.  In one place we can see Hood and St Helens.  A beautiful view and contrast.  

We have disembarked twice in Montreal.   Took a road trip from there back to Boston after one cruise.  Would like to spend more time in the city after seeing all the pictures

Thank you everyone for all the posts and news.  Stay well and safe.  

• Like 16

1 hour ago, kochleffel said:

I was living in McMinnville, OR, then. While I didn't see the first eruption, or any of its ash, a later one was on a clear day and I could see it from McMinnville,  ~85 miles away. I was also in Portland during one, for a reading by Margaret Atwood, that took place during rain. The wet ash formed up on my car almost like concrete.

I had similar experiences.  Did you hear the big one on the 18th?  Apparently the sound waves went right over our house -- had no idea what had happened until my sister called from Bellingham to see if we were alright. She couldn't believe we didn't know about it (we were sleeping in, the phone call woke us up).

The ash sometimes was so bad we had to keep changing the filters on everything.

(edited to add that I still have a can of ash I scraped up -- moved it around the country for the last 40 years LOL)

Edited by Cruising-along
  • Like 13

The eruptions were definitely felt here in Victoria.  The first one we were living in the Washington, DC area, and my widowed mother was in an apartment here, but visiting her sisters' home at the time.  There was a boom, the house shook and the curtains all flew up in the air, and my aunts thought my mother had fallen (she was always falling down and breaking things..,) but she hadn't and they finally figured it out!  A later time, we were here, and visiting cousins in Seattle, as soon as we heard the boom they knew what it was, and we drove up the hill and could see the plume of smoke and ash.  Still waiting for Mt. Baker to blow!

• Like 14

4 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

What is with their noses?

The English Pug and the French Poodle, also known as The two Snobs, is an outdoor 2013 art installation with two bronze sculptures by Marc Andre J. Fortier, installed at 500 Place D'Armes in Montreal, in Quebec, Canada.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Bite your tongue, lol!

Having lived near it, we've seen wisps of steam once in awhile -- a little bit unsettling! 

Consider my tongue bit, lol.  We definitely are too close here...

• Like 9

14 minutes ago, bdrcole said:

The English Pug and the French Poodle, also known as The two Snobs, is an outdoor 2013 art installation with two bronze sculptures by Marc Andre J. Fortier, installed at 500 Place D'Armes in Montreal, in Quebec, Canada.

They do like very snobbish!

• Like 7

2 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Back from voting . Our polls opened at 7am, I was number 2 at 9 am😱

Just wanted to give a heads up about HAL final payment date . For any sailing departing thru September 30 , 2021 it had been changed to 60 DAYS. 
      I found out yesterday when I asked my agent why my Rotterdam booking was still active, when it should have canceled after 5/13

She was never notified of the change. 

Thanks on the heads up.  I thought that the regular penalties were still in place - perhaps they are not now?  If they don’t have your money how can they only refund a certain percentage?  

• Like 7

5 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Our province is beginning 2nd jabs today, but DH is a bit too young to book yet - they're starting with the 85 year olds and working back.

I am SO jealous.  We’re still on the first jab but at 30 year olds.  I know we are not getting the same percentage as most provinces since we don’t have any hot spots (knock on wood) here in New Brunswick.

• Like 7

Second jabs are happening here, too, but mainly for people who received the first ones almost 4 months ago...  nursing homes, assisted living etc.,  we are over 130,000 second doses, but it will be a while before they get to us, we are hoping next month.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Back from voting . Our polls opened at 7am, I was number 2 at 9 am😱

Just wanted to give a heads up about HAL final payment date . For any sailing departing thru September 30 , 2021 it had been changed to 60 DAYS. 
      I found out yesterday when I asked my agent why my Rotterdam booking was still active, when it should have canceled after 5/13

She was never notified of the change. 

Democracy can be hard, but necessary work!  

Thanks for the mention about the final payment date.  We have a cruise departing September 26th, and the Booking Confirmation shows Final Payment due on 28th June, but when I went into Manage My Booking, I can see that the Final Payment date has been changed to 28th July. So, again, thanks for the heads up!  Also the Payment schedule now shows OBC - that is progress!!

I hate dirty dishes and make sure that DW has washed them all before she leaves the kitchen! 😅 (only joking, I am not that sort of guy!)

@kazu you can remove DW from the care list as she has decided not to take the new medication as there appears to be more side effects than with the med she is presently taking 😭

Thoughts and prayers for those on the care list.

• Like 15

56 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

om they knew what it was, and we drove up the hill and could see the plume of smoke and ash.  Still waiting for Mt. Baker to blow!

Ewww, no!  I live a whole lot closer to Baker than I do to Rainier.  Likewise @Cruising-along.

• Like 11

1 minute ago, VMax1700 said:

@kazu you can remove DW from the care list as she has decided not to take the new medication as there appears to be more side effects than with the med she is presently taking 😭

Thanks for letting me know.  Sorry that the new meds aren’t working but I’m glad she can take the old meds.

• Like 7

52 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Bite your tongue, lol!

Having lived near it, we've seen wisps of steam once in awhile -- a little bit unsettling! 

I have flown my plane over Baker while it was venting, likewise St. Helens when it was finally cleared for us to do so.

• Like 9

Good day and many thanks all!   That wine sounds interesting! 
Montreal Expo was my first big trip by myself as a young teen,  began my lifelong love of travel! 
DH was in Portland for the rose bowl parade and got covered with ash after my st Helen’s blew!  Can’t believe it was 41 years ago!  

I love museums at my own pace.

Our Rv view

A0AAA081-75B3-4849-9939-2B93A893E114.thumb.jpeg.149145bbfd0b14cb6c48ae5b33eaf959.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 20

14 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Democracy can be hard, but necessary work!  

Thanks for the mention about the final payment date.  We have a cruise departing September 26th, and the Booking Confirmation shows Final Payment due on 28th June, but when I went into Manage My Booking, I can see that the Final Payment date has been changed to 28th July. So, again, thanks for the heads up!  Also the Payment schedule now shows OBC - that is progress!!

I hate dirty dishes and make sure that DW has washed them all before she leaves the kitchen! 😅 (only joking, I am not that sort of guy!)

Be careful on the final payment date,  I think the penalty dates don’t change. 

I hope your DW manages ok,  those meds are tough! I had to stop because of severe side effects. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Av8rix said:

I have flown my plane over Baker while it was venting, likewise St. Helens when it was finally cleared for us to do so.

Wow....that must have been amazing.  Baker has always been "our local mountain" as you know.  My Dad climbed to the top when he was in his 40's -- I sure hope it never blows (at least for a long, long time). 

• Like 10

Such an interesting group of days! It is interesting how the "days" can trigger such lively discussions here.  It is just another proof of what a great group has found "The Daily" as a positive place for all sorts of info, recipes, photos, etc.

Just finished a Red Cross class that left me with more questions and confusion than when I started!  I discussed it with our paid employee, and she agreed that the new systems coming out will be quite interesting when we have to work within those systems!  LOL

I have never been to Montreal, so will hope I can visit once the borders open.  The pictures so far are most interesting and show a beautiful city!  

Does anyone else remember when HAL used to do an "Art Tour" around the ship on a sea day.  It was always so interesting to learn about the art installations, the statues, and the background on the ideas that guided the theme of the decor.  I always felt it was a mini-museum tour!  Wish that was still an option--certainly not an expensive offering from the ship's viewpoint!

Take care, everyone, and have a great day!

• Like 16

1 minute ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Looks like a scene from the end of Property Brothers

🌺OMGOSH! LOL! Guess where we got the sofas? Costco!!! Such a nice complement. We got the pillows and little table at Target!!

David enjoys his VSOP so when I took the pic he wanted his glasses on the table. Will hunt for some colored rug to place down there next time we are there for awhile.

• Like 12

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Good days. I like museums. My sink has some dirty dishes so I'd better tend to that. Sadly, I have no living relatives to visit.

I like the meal (sans carbs) and wine.

I have been to Montreal, but not on a cruise. My first time was as a child for the Expo '67 World's Fair.

It's a beautiful sunny and warm day today. Time to set my cacti out side for the summer.

I'm feeling pretty good. No more fevers. My arms and legs feel sort of rubbery at time; not sure what that's about. I saw my PCP's PA this morning. Nothing to really report. It's felt I likely had some viral illness that is now resolving. No real explanation for the high D-Dimer level. The Ophthalmologist called and the orbit CT was negative. Again no explanation for the conjunctival swelling except inflammation, since it has improved some after a short course of high dose steroids. Fingers crossed that I may be able to be scheduled for cataract surgery when I see them next month.

@kazu I can be removed from the care list. Thanks.

@DeeniEncinitas Beautiful painting

@USN59-79 It's hard to believe it's been that long since the eruption. Someone gave me a little doodad that's made from the ash; it's ugly but I keep it for what it's made of.

@rafinmd Thanks for thinking of me. I had my appointment late morning, and then shortly after getting home, the power went out for unknown reasons.

Prayers for the care list and cheers to the celebration list.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1