Is anybody else going to miss HAL's smaller ships?

atexsix

I was devastated when I heard about the Amsterdam especially, I understand the business decision making involved, but I'm really going to miss seeing them in our local waters, they looked so elegant and graceful and classic.  

At least HAL's newer ships still look like ships and not a skyscraper turned on its side.  I showed a picture to someone of the Prima, NCL's upcoming latest/greatest; it's different looking, but I don't know...not really my cup of tea, nor are indoor promenades and central parks. 

Long live HAL!

• Like 13

I will miss the Prinsendam the most.  The ship, her crew and itineraries were unique.

Thankfully, we still have two of the “smaller” ships left - the Volendam & Zaandam.  Not as small as the former S class nor the Prinsendam but still smaller than the Vista class.

Hopefully HAL maintains them well and they can remain in the fleet for a few years.

• Like 13

HAL has given a nod to continuing and promoting the extensive itinerary cruises.  Gus has said that is a key niche that makes HAL standout.  I await their next ship-build announcement, that is when we will know.

• Like 5

We have been sailing HAL since our first cruise with HAL in 2003 which was on the Zuiderdam in her inaugural year which could be the reason why my preference is and has always been the Vista Class Ships. We definitely sailed all of the S and R class ships with the exception of the last Rotterdam and the Prinsendam. I really liked the Ryndam and a Stephan Card print is framed and hanging above my desk but in the last 10 years I have felt that HAL has badly neglected the S and R class ships in more ways than just updating them. They have literally let them go. We are not cruisers that need to be entertained but sadly there was never anything going on or scheduled for those ships unless you wanted trivia. For years the shops on board were far worse than the Vista and Above. They just seemed to lack what the other ships had. 

My last smaller ship was 6 years ago this week on the Volendam to Alaska. I keep seeing picture reminders on Facebook 😃  Now if they decide they want to get rid of the Vista Class, then I will be upset.s ships.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

We have been sailing HAL since our first cruise with HAL in 2003 which was on the Zuiderdam in her inaugural year which could be the reason why my preference is and has always been the Vista Class Ships.

Ironically our first cruise was in 2004 on the Inaugural cruise on Westerdam out of Venice and we, too, are very partial to the Vista Class ships although we enjoyed the Eurodam, probably because it pretty much feels like a Vista Class but with the added bonus of Tamarind. 

• Like 7

We are some of those who like the smaller ships.  We generally avoid the Pinnacle class though we do have a cruise booked on the K’dam.  A case of right place right time plus the need to use up FCC.  I know HAL is not going to build a smaller ship and eventually the current “small” ones will be gone.  At that point, our HAL cruises will become few and far between.  We will shift to other lines that will still maintain and build smaller ships. Too bad as we have over 800 days on HAL.

• Like 8

I already miss the small ships terribly, even though there are still two remaining in the fleet. 
I loved the idea I could get from one place to another on the ships, without needing to pack a lunch to tide me over. 
If something was forgotten in the cabin, it was a short hop to retrieve it. It was easy to meet up with the same new friends over and over again, because they were nearby. 

In the good old days there was always plenty of activities all day long on sea days, and everyone was out of their cabins enjoying what was offered. 

The Prinsendam became my favorite ship, and when she left the fleet I decided the Maasdam was going to be my new ship of choice. Then she was sold. 😒 I've decided better not pick a new favorite ship, or she will be gone, too.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

In the old days I loved the smaller ships and remember being somewhat horrified when the "massive" Vista Class ships were announced.  Then I tried them and loved them (all).  Repeat scenario with Eurodam/Nieuw Amsterdam - ended up loving those even more than the Vistas (they basically ARE Vistas, but with the Tamarind & Tamarind Bar added).  Definitely felt some trepidation when the next class was announced - booked Koningsdam that first year with some concern I wouldn't like it.  However, I LOVED it, and went on to do more cruises in that class.  Then I booked a 7-night close to home, and that was on the Rotterdam.  Talk about MAJOR concern I would be disappointed with this tiny old ship, but once again I absolutely loved it!  It was so well maintained and looked beautiful.  Although it lacked some of the bells & whistles I was used to, it also had some of the old traditional stuff I hadn't seen in years.  I guess bottom line is I can love and enjoy any HAL ship  😉

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

I really liked the Ryndam and a Stephan Card print is framed and hanging above my desk but in the last 10 years I have felt that HAL has badly neglected the S and R class ships in more ways than just updating them. They have literally let them go. 

Agreed. I noticed especially the lack of “live” on the teak steamers, on Veendam, Zaandam and Prinsendam. Veendam’s steamers were in good condition in 2013. 2 years later they were dry, weathered and some were coming apart. I would have been willing to give them a good rub down with teak oil. 

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

As soon as cruising is really up and going again I plan to try Fred Olsen's offerings on Borealis and Bolette. Hopefully that works out and I won't have to "miss" them.

Same here. Fred.Olsen’s itineraries have my attention. We’ll see what is left of HAL after Covid. I’m not interested in the Kingkongdam or her sisters.

• Like 3

Sailed on the Rotterdam in 2018 and we were lucky that back then the ship still had BBKings, I guess.

The place was rocking and rolling in the Crow’s Nest.  Fabulous performers and a happy hour at 10 pm there to boot. 😉 

I think we spent most nights there.  It was fabulous.

Have to say, I thought the ship was in pretty good shape.  I didn’t hear any complaints from roll call members (and we had a good sized roll call) on water/plumbing issues, etc.

Entertainment on the Prinsendam was special (for us).  We liked the special solo, duet and trio presentations.  Small ship so no big acts except for a few.  One thing I really appreciated was the number of performers brought on board from local ports to exhibit their culture.

We are scheduled on the Volendam so I guess time will tell.  I have lots of friends on board so if push comes to shove, I suspect we’ll be able to make our own entertainment 😉 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, kazu said:

Sailed on the Rotterdam in 2018 and we were lucky that back then the ship still had BBKings, I guess.

The place was rocking and rolling in the Crow’s Nest.  Fabulous performers and a happy hour at 10 pm there to boot. 😉 

I think we spent most nights there.  It was fabulous.

Have to say, I thought the ship was in pretty good shape.  I didn’t hear any complaints from roll call members (and we had a good sized roll call) on water/plumbing issues, etc.

Entertainment on the Prinsendam was special (for us).  We liked the special solo, duet and trio presentations.  Small ship so no big acts except for a few.  One thing I really appreciated was the number of performers brought on board from local ports to exhibit their culture.

We are scheduled on the Volendam so I guess time will tell.  I have lots of friends on board so if push comes to shove, I suspect we’ll be able to make our own entertainment 😉 

OMG, I miss the old Crow's Nest (no, that's not a weak attempt at getting everybody going on that topic lol).  I just miss it and on our last cruise we hardly used the new layout at all, but the Ocean Bar has become our new hangout now, for Happy Hour, and daytime hours when it's just a cozy daytime lounge.

• Like 5

Pros and Cons for each size/type of HAL ships IMO.

One thing I do miss in the smaller HAL ships are the Neptune cabins, which are quite large and the Neptune Lounge is much quieter (far less cabins to serve) and more personal service.

• Like 4

We've sailed all the Classes from Prinsendam to Nieuw Statendam.  I have a soft spot for Zaandam, Zuiderdam and Nieuw Statendam.  If we could take all that the Pinnacle Class has to offer and put it on the Zaandam, it would be the perfect Ship, IMO.     

• Like 1

We've only sailed on the smaller ships on HAL. Ryndam, Maasdam, Veendam, Zaandam. Our upcoming cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam will be our introduction to the larger HAL ships. We have sailed on RCI Liberty of the Seas. There is much to do, but way too many people. If we want crowds, we go to Disneyland.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, atexsix said:

I was devastated when I heard about the Amsterdam especially, I understand the business decision making involved, but I'm really going to miss seeing them in our local waters, they looked so elegant and graceful and classic.  

At least HAL's newer ships still look like ships and not a skyscraper turned on its side.  I showed a picture to someone of the Prima, NCL's upcoming latest/greatest; it's different looking, but I don't know...not really my cup of tea, nor are indoor promenades and central parks. 

Long live HAL!

We loved the Amsterdam 😢.

We were docked in Sint Maarten back in November, 2019 right next to the Symphony of the Seas. It was like a floating apartment building. 

St Louis Sal

FDA58B5E-8CA8-4FB1-BCD4-F1C0BA656DC6.jpeg

BFD6C4F1-27B4-4BD7-83B0-8417C1FC82E2.jpeg

CD83EF9B-12A2-48F8-B0E3-CF12245638D0.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, atexsix said:

OMG, I miss the old Crow's Nest (no, that's not a weak attempt at getting everybody going on that topic lol).  I just miss it and on our last cruise we hardly used the new layout at all, but the Ocean Bar has become our new hangout now, for Happy Hour, and daytime hours when it's just a cozy daytime lounge.

Old Crow’s Nest was in place on the P’dam and the S & R ships.  I believe it still is since our Meet and Greet on the Volendam is being held in the Crow’s Nest, Captain’s Corner 😉 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

And sometimes that is just as good -- or better. 😄

Absolutely 🙂 

Lucky to have met others on other cruises in the past joining us who are a joy to cruise with 👍 

• Like 1

Miss the Prinsendam and the Ryndam, although I will admit some of that is where we travelled to, including the Arctic and Antarctic.  Sorry to say we also miss the old Nieuw Amsterdam!!

Also the loss of the old Crows Nest. I guess I just don't get the new concept.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, kazu said:

Old Crow’s Nest was in place on the P’dam and the S & R ships.

1 hour ago, atexsix said:

I miss the old Crow's Nest

I really don't understand those of you who somehow think that the Crow's Nest has become extinct.  It's there even on the Pinnacle Class ships.  For my purposes, the new "versions" fulfill what the former Crow's Nest did--at times--depending upon what the business plan for the lounge was during that "era".  A superior indoor sightseeing venue?  That has not changed!  Is the Crow's Nest currently my favorite place for HH as it had been?  No.  When the changes began, the posts on CC made me think that if I wanted a CC-7, it would be unobtainable.  Well, I found out differently.  Several times, the Crow's Nest was the site for a solo guitar/singer, a small combo, a disco, BB King's Blues Club, or just a quiet lounge with a view.  Whomever has been in charge of HAL's business model over the years (and there have been many) regarding what the Crow's Nest ought to be are the ones that one's disappointment ought to be addressed.  

• Like 2