New rules about bringing soda, juice and water on board.

CineGraphic

8 hours ago, caribill said:

I need to have sodas that have no sugar and no caffeine. Princess has no Cola of this type.

If Princess does not have what I need, it is no threat to their revenues if I bring on what I need in the quantity I want.

And with the great push to sell Princess + fares which includes unlimited fountain sodas, anyone with that fare bringing on canned soda of any type is no threat to their revenues.

I wonder ... if you were to contact their Special Needs Dept, would Princess find a way to accommodate your "need"?

I'm not being snarky, just looking for a workaround.

12 hours ago, caribill said:

I need to have sodas that have no sugar and no caffeine. Princess has no Cola of this type.

If Princess does not have what I need, it is no threat to their revenues if I bring on what I need in the quantity I want.

And with the great push to sell Princess + fares which includes unlimited fountain sodas, anyone with that fare bringing on canned soda of any type is no threat to their revenues.

I can relate.  I end up getting the coffee card and drink caffeine free(no judgement please. LOL)  On our last cruise it was only a 7 day and we brought on some cans.  Worked better than I thought. It's not so much the money thing, it's just being able to drink a non-caffeine beverage.

12 hours ago, caribill said:

I Purchase a soda package each and every cruise but I usually end up bringing a 12 pack or two because of this. They need to offer some caffeine free, Diet Cola and Diet Root Beer.

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser

• 3 weeks later...

While filming an exterior scene for a tv series over the weekend, the cast & crew were all given canned water. I was not looking forward to trying it, but I was thirsty. Expecting it to taste like aluminum, I was pleasantly  surprised. It didn't just taste good, it tasted great. I brought a few cans home and gave them to my wife without saying anything. An hour later she's telling me how great the water is.

The screw-top can keeps the water nice & cold too.

Their branding is perfect for Princess.

https://drinkopenwater.com/

69559455_ScreenShot2021-06-28at12_36_17PM.thumb.png.119c9fde2bacfc0767e56321cb6b233d.png

• Like 3

Introducing #OceanTide, the world’s first wearable for a consumer electronic device made out of 100% reclaimed ocean plastic! This week, Enchanted Princess HGM Dirk Brand and John Padgett showcase our new line of fashionable, sustainable accessories that let guests comfortably and effortlessly wear their #OceanMedallion! https://*****/2SIplUJ #MedallionClass

On 6/10/2021 at 10:00 AM, pms4104 said:
On 6/10/2021 at 1:02 AM, caribill said:

Expand  

I wonder ... if you were to contact their Special Needs Dept, would Princess find a way to accommodate your "need"?

Well that's a s-t-r-e-t-c-h. I can see a 'need' to bring soy based products if you have a dairy allergy but soda is a want not a need. No nutritional value there

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, billco said:

Introducing #OceanTide, the world’s first wearable for a consumer electronic device made out of 100% reclaimed ocean plastic! This week, Enchanted Princess HGM Dirk Brand and John Padgett showcase our new line of fashionable, sustainable accessories that let guests comfortably and effortlessly wear their #OceanMedallion! https://*****/2SIplUJ #MedallionClass

Almost makes one forget about the Magic Pipe and other issues in Princess' recent history. 

Crazy, this sudden concern for the environment and sustainability ... 

Delightful, I'm sure, but at a very significant pricepoint.

That water seems great, especially if people think it tastes great.

And, if Princess offers this online for pre-purchase at a 'reasonable' price then that will work!

But, it is still 'purified' water, which I assume is from a municipal supply with all of the fluoride, chemicals, etc.   Nothing will convince me that all of that is removed.

My interest in bringing on water is that I want no-added chemical SPRING water.

My interest in bringing on any other drinks is that they are in bottles and not cans.

Again, I can live with bringing on cans.  

I will bring on the small one-serving cans.

No way am I doing anything but throwing out half of a full sized can that can't be closed and reopened.

I just checked the Publix web-site.  As we usually stay near there so we can make a pre-boarding Publix run.   It looks like they might carry a canned and a glass bottled Spring Water.   Probably cost more!

I am not sure what sugar and caffeine free drinks can be found in cans or glass.

I don’t have a horse in this race but I can tell you that lots of rules about what you can/can’t bring into our MLB ball park changed because of COVID restrictions including the amount and size of water bottles.  And each week the restrictions are reduced and my bet is that soon we we will be back to our merry pre-pandemic selves lugging our cooler full of water, peanuts and other goodies through the gates.

I think this appears to be a 'plastics' thing, though.  Not a Covid or security thing.  (like liquids on airplanes)

I can see this effort to limit single use plastic bottles as long term.

It will interesting to see what water product Princess chooses to provide.

I think I would like the re-closable can over waxed cardboard.

Edited by Wishing on a star

3 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

While filming an exterior scene for a tv series over the weekend, the cast & crew were all given canned water. I was not looking forward to trying it, but I was thirsty. Expecting it to taste like aluminum, I was pleasantly  surprised. It didn't just taste good, it tasted great. I brought a few cans home and gave them to my wife without saying anything. An hour later she's telling me how great the water is.

The screw-top can keeps the water nice & cold too.

Their branding is perfect for Princess.

https://drinkopenwater.com/

69559455_ScreenShot2021-06-28at12_36_17PM.thumb.png.119c9fde2bacfc0767e56321cb6b233d.png

Google around ... for the prices I've seen, it better be good ... WAY pricy!

On 6/10/2021 at 4:02 AM, caribill said:

On 6/10/2021 at 1:00 PM, pms4104 said:

Princess new policy would allow you to bring a "reasonable" amount of your preferred soda on at embarkation.  They define a reasonable amount as 12, 12oz cans per passenger and must be carried on by the passenger.  You could attempt to bring more knowing they may restrict the total amount.  You could also attempt to purchase additional sodas in ports and bring them on provided they are in cans and sealed.  Worst case you are required to leave behind a few dollars worth of soda.

Soda is not typically a medically necessary item, and is considered a beverage preference.  It could be argued one can go a week to 10 days without and drink the included caffeine free hot/cold tea and/or decaf coffee and/or ships water in lieu of soda.  They may also offer sugar-free non-caffeinated fruit punch/lemonade type beverages.  Medical exemptions would only be made through guest access for specific dietary supplements/medications that are only available in liquid form, as prescribed by a doctor and need to be consumed in significant quantity.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Wishing on a star said:

I think this appears to be a 'plastics' thing, though.  Not a Covid or security thing.  (like liquids on airplanes)

I can see this effort to limit single use plastic bottles as long term.

But encourage the use of single use cans?

Yes, cans can be recycled. But so can plastic bottles.

21 minutes ago, pms4104 said:

Google around ... for the prices I've seen, it better be good ... WAY pricy!

I had no idea....they had cases of it seemingly everywhere, and they made sure that everyone was hydrated, on a typical hot & muggy Atlanta day.

10 hours of film work, for a 3 minute scene.

Thank goodness it's not my money they're throwing around.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, caribill said:

But encourage the use of single use cans?

Yes, cans can be recycled. But so can plastic bottles.

But aren’t cans crushed into more compact sizes making them easier to store until unloading?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, capriccio said:

But aren’t cans crushed into more compact sizes making them easier to store until unloading?

Actually no.  Plastic can be partially ground or at least compressed and ends up being less weight per container.  So it's less costly to move those returned containers from a return location.  In our state, it's typically a store.

5 minutes ago, Redwing55 said:

Actually no.  Plastic can be partially ground or at least compressed and ends up being less weight per container.  So it's less costly to move those returned containers from a return location.  In our state, it's typically a store.

I was thinking about storing it on a ship.  Would a ship have the capability of grinding plastic?

1 minute ago, capriccio said:

I was thinking about storing it on a ship.  Would a ship have the capability of grinding plastic?

I truly have no idea about that.  But I would think that they have compactors and plastic is easier to compact since they don't have the stiffer tops and bottoms of those cans.  And Princess does have recycling bins on the ship.  With that, I suspect they may do some separation.  Purely a guess though.

4 hours ago, Redwing55 said:

I truly have no idea about that.  But I would think that they have compactors and plastic is easier to compact since they don't have the stiffer tops and bottoms of those cans.  And Princess does have recycling bins on the ship.  With that, I suspect they may do some separation.  Purely a guess though.

Yes, they have staff assigned to do just that.

On 6/28/2021 at 11:10 AM, Wishing on a star said:

That water seems great, especially if people think it tastes great.

And, if Princess offers this online for pre-purchase at a 'reasonable' price then that will work!

But, it is still 'purified' water, which I assume is from a municipal supply with all of the fluoride, chemicals, etc.   Nothing will convince me that all of that is removed.

My interest in bringing on water is that I want no-added chemical SPRING water.

My interest in bringing on any other drinks is that they are in bottles and not cans.

Again, I can live with bringing on cans.  

I will bring on the small one-serving cans.

No way am I doing anything but throwing out half of a full sized can that can't be closed and reopened.

And what spring water is that, unless you bottle your own from a source you personally now, the rest is marketing.