CDC gives Celebrity the approval to start in June

ipeeinthepool

8 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Sounds like a plan as long as CDC accepts that as proof. But, I would think it would be pretty easy, if one was so inclined, to upload photoshopped picture than to present the real document during the final boarding process. 

I would believe it's just as easy to forge a Federal CDC COVID vaccine proof and show it on the ship as it would be to photoshop one to upload.  Being in the industry (just retired), AI is pretty sophisticated these days.  Photoshops, even very good ones, are pretty easy to spot. 

Either way, it's a Federal felony offense.  Aside from the obvious felony repercussions, you would lose your cruise fare, too.

Pretty hefty downside just to go on a cruise with a counterfeit proof of a COVID Vaccine.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

This issue of FL vs CDC is separate from the vaccine documentation issue. I would fully expect him to dig in on the vaccine issue now since he didn’t get his way during round 1 with the injunction. His ‘statement’ was just his throwing down any anti-CDC sentiment he could think of for purposes of being dramatic.

I'm with you, Jeremiah, I think this is the nail in the July forward Celeb cruises. They will be forced to backtrack somewhat and do the test cruises to satisfy CDC. Long term, they may be able to ask people to volunteer their vaccine status and market as the cruise line with "95% vaccination", especially based on their Alaska data, but they won't be leaving from Florida in the near term. It won't hurt too much, they need to get going for the winter season.

DeSantis is grandstanding to a whole different audience and he has made a carefully calculated decision that this is an issue that will resonate with its target audience on into primary season, with little political downside.

Let me clarify, I think Celeb will sail, the Edge might even do that one splashy June 26 cruise, but then the rest of the summer will be delayed until this is resolved, and I'm afraid may cause more cancellations except Edge.

Edited by cangelmd

1 minute ago, graphicguy said:

I would believe it's just as easy to forge a Federal CDC COVID vaccine proof and show it on the ship as it would be to photoshop one to upload.  Being in the industry (just retired), AI is pretty sophisticated these days.  Photoshops, even very good ones, are pretty easy to spot. 

Either way, it's a Federal felony offense.  Aside from the obvious felony repercussions, you would lose your cruise fare, too.

Pretty hefty downside just to go on a cruise with a counterfeit proof of a COVID Vaccine.

I agree and there would probably be very few, if any, that would actually even do something like that considering the cost of the cruise as well as the legal ramifications. It will definitely be interesting to see how this all gets resolved, as we all know it will be, in the coming weeks

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

I'm with you, Jeremiah, I think this is the nail in the July forward Celeb cruises. They will be forced to backtrack somewhat and do the test cruises to satisfy CDC. Long term, they may be able to ask people to volunteer their vaccine status and market as the cruise line with "95% vaccination", especially based on their Alaska data, but they won't be leaving from Florida in the near term. It won't hurt too much, they need to get going for the winter season.

DeSantis is grandstanding to a whole different audience and he has made a carefully calculated decision that this is an issue that will resonate with its target audience on into primary season, with little political downside.

Let me clarify, I think Celeb will sail, the Edge might even do that one splashy June 26 cruise, but then the rest of the summer will be delayed until this is resolved, and I'm afraid may cause more cancellations except Edge.

No reason to delay anything.  The penalty is a fine, not a "you can't cruise".  Sail while addressing it in court. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

As I have said before - where's TeeRick?- if 98-100% of the crew are vaccinated and 75% of the passengers are vaccinated, Covid is not going to spread. Do you really think 1 out of every 4 Celeb passengers is going to cheat? Yes, someone will cheat and the first few cruises are likely at the greatest risk of someone just wanting to make a point, but significant transmission is highly, highly unlikely, and that's without any masking or social distancing.

I'm concerned about political grandstanding and a little worried about what happens when immunity wanes in pockets of this country like my state where the vaccination rate is so low, but Covid, nah? I'm safer on that ship with the cheaters than I am at the local Walmart and you are too Ken.

23 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I agree and there would probably be very few, if any, that would actually even do something like that considering the cost of the cruise as well as the legal ramifications. It will definitely be interesting to see how this all gets resolved, as we all know it will be, in the coming weeks

As I've said before, the ones who would lie/cheat/forge to avoid vaccination and cruise are the same ones who probably won't be able to keep their mouth shut about not being vaccinated.  Add some free drinks and it's all the more likely for the truth to come out. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, D C said:

As I've said before, the ones who would lie/cheat/forge to avoid vaccination and cruise are the same ones who probably won't be able to keep their mouth shut about not being vaccinated.  Add some free drinks and it's all the more likely for the truth to come out. 

That's oh so true!

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Yep....you must be pre-registered to enter the terminal.  Pre-registration means you must show proof of COVID vaccination before even checking baggage or being allowed in the terminal.  No pre-registration?  No entrance!

in NYC you give the bags to porters before you even walk in the doors of the terminal. 

16 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

in NYC you give the bags to porters before you even walk in the doors of the terminal. 

That's true of all the terminals I've sailed from (including New York).  I can see there being a change on how the porters would operate.  Maybe they'd have to get your luggage AFTER your pre-cruise registration is presented?  Or, maybe like the airlines and your luggage is presented the same time you show your ID, pre-registration and passport for check in?

1 hour ago, D C said:

Upload a photo to complete check-in should take care of it.  Not like there is anything on the CDC card that would look different in person. 

X has said that passengers must bring the original vaccination card for boarding, photos are not acceptable.

This was just posted on the RC Blog. Got to love those southern Florida mayors wanting to do the right thing! 😎

While the public is left wondering if Florida will allow cruise ships to ask passengers for proof of a Covid-19 vaccine, Mayors of three South Florida cities are now publicly urging the Governor to change his mind. Now, the Mayors of Broward County, Fort Lauderdale, and Hollywood are publicly asking the Governor to reconsider. 

In a letter (posted on the RC Blog) first shared by Miami Herald reporter Aaron Leibowitz, the Mayors sent a letter to allow cruise ships to "come up with a solution" so that cruise lines can operate.

The Mayors believe because cruise ships are either interstate or international commerce, they do have the right under to be regulated by the federal government. Like the Governor, the Mayors want the cruise industry to come back so that the jobs and revenue they produce can help the Florida economy.

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

This was just posted on the RC Blog. Go to love those southern Florida mayors wanting to do the right thing! 😎

While the public is left wondering if Florida will allow cruise ships to ask passengers for proof of a Covid-19 vaccine, Mayors of three South Florida cities are now publicly urging the Governor to change his mind. Now, the Mayors of Broward County, Fort Lauderdale, and Hollywood are publicly asking the Governor to reconsider. 

In a letter (posted on the RC Blog) first shared by Miami Herald reporter Aaron Leibowitz, the Mayors sent a letter to allow cruise ships to "come up with a solution" so that cruise lines can operate.

The Mayors believe because cruise ships are either interstate or international commerce, they do have the right under to be regulated by the federal government. Like the Governor, the Mayors want the cruise industry to come back so that the jobs and revenue they produce can help the Florida economy.

eight billion reasons why it will happen!!  Go mayors!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, keels81 said:

Celebrity just sent out an email saying that the Millie is swapping itineraries with the Summit, and no replacement of the Summit in Alaska. This is not great news at all.

If they’re swapping itineraries doesn’t that mean that the ships will be swapping position too?

Just now, d9704011 said:

If they’re swapping itineraries doesn’t that mean that the ships will be swapping position too?

You'd think, but the second bullet item says the line is suspending sailings on the Millie, Reflection and Infinity.

Screen Shot 2021-06-03 at 3.23.44 PM.png

Just now, keels81 said:

You'd think, but the second bullet item says the line is suspending sailings on the Millie, Reflection and Infinity.

Screen Shot 2021-06-03 at 3.23.44 PM.png

I think that's a typo. Millennium is going to Alaska instead of Summit. I'm on one of the cruises and got emailed about the ship swap.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zaxanon6 said:

I think that's a typo. Millennium is going to Alaska instead of Summit. I'm on one of the cruises and got emailed about the ship swap.

Interesting, because it's going to take a bit longer then ... the Millie hasn't been signed off on out of the US yet:

Screen Shot 2021-06-03 at 3.48.24 PM.png

1 minute ago, keels81 said:

Interesting, because it's going to take a bit longer then ... the Millie hasn't been signed off on out of the US yet:

Screen Shot 2021-06-03 at 3.48.24 PM.png

I see that the Edge is "orange" - isn't that the one that is supposed to cruise from FLL on 6/26?

4 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

As expected, the governor has no intention of backing down or compromising. He would much rather get a negative result from the lawsuit and blame it on someone else. A good personal strategy, but harmful to many others. 

Reminds me of the final scene in Star Trek II. “ The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one”………. Or, maybe not. 

mac_tlc

Not just the needs...but the wants.  Cruisers WANT a vax mandate to protect their health and their vacations.  Guv, you are blowing this one.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, marieps said:

Not just the needs...but the wants.  Cruisers WANT a vax mandate to protect their health and their vacations.  Guv, you are blowing this one.

I’m retired now, but when I was working I traveled all over the world (110 countries). I had a yellow immunization record that I always carried. In fact I still carry it.  Not often, but some countries on occasion asked to see it. I’m having a hard time seeing the difference between showing I have a Covid shot (or 2) and showing I have a cholera shot. 
yes, I’m one of those who want to sail with others who have been vaccinated. So, let’s find a solution to this. Maybe we upload the record of the immunization as a part of online checkin. Surely, there’s a way to work around this. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, judatt said:

I’m retired now, but when I was working I traveled all over the world (110 countries). I had a yellow immunization record that I always carried. In fact I still carry it.  Not often, but some countries on occasion asked to see it. I’m having a hard time seeing the difference between showing I have a Covid shot (or 2) and showing I have a cholera shot. 
yes, I’m one of those who want to sail with others who have been vaccinated. So, let’s find a solution to this. Maybe we upload the record of the immunization as a part of online checkin. Surely, there’s a way to work around this. 

Exactly my thoughts, going on a cruise on Celebrity in September, hope this cruise will go.

19 hours ago, graphicguy said:

OK...so that gets us back to having to upload COVID Vaccine proof via the internet to connect it to the reservation.  Desantis has no authority over the internet and what is/isn't uploaded/downloaded.  I would  think this was the plan all along.

LOL - I guess you missed the Florida law that was recently passed which is an attempt to control a certain part of the internet and what is or isn't posted.

• Thanks 1