Royal Caribbean’s “Tracelet” being used for cruises

16 minutes ago, Fido Chuckwagon said:

Can you also use it as a room key and to charge to your account for onboard purchases?  That would be neat, kind of like magicbands at Disney World.  

MSC has that it's newer ships but you are not made to wear it and show it. You could probably have it in your pocket or bag if you wanted.

Edited by ace2542

20 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Absolutely agree. 

There are still WAY too many unknown variables for me to open my checkbook. 

Will I be contained to my room if my tracer says I was too close to someone for too long, and they report to the Dr with a cough??

Medical question: Would the tracelet analyse your sweat for traces of Covid in the same way these alcohol monitors do for alcohol if you are on probation or whatever? Or would they not be that advanced?

3 hours ago, bouhunter said:

Agreed.  People who think this is a great idea will feel differently if they are imprisoned in their room because they may have been somewhere near someone who had a positive covid test.  

That’s exactly where they should be. Locked away until they can prove in 3-5 days that they don’t have COVID. The vaccine prevents you from getting seriously ill WHEN you catch Covid. It does not prevent you from catching it. 

19 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Medical question: Would the tracelet analyse your sweat for traces of Covid in the same way these alcohol monitors do for alcohol if you are on probation or whatever? Or would they not be that advanced?

Sure, plus they can sense your level of inibreation and cut you off at the bars😉

You might want to reconsider that upcoming Cunard/Royal cruise🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

That’s exactly where they should be. Locked away until they can prove in 3-5 days that they don’t have COVID. The vaccine prevents you from getting seriously ill WHEN you catch Covid. It does not prevent you from catching it. 

Then they should only have vaccinated people on the ships. And... it is looking more and more like vaccinated people do not harbor enough of a viral  load to be a transmission risk or to become ill themselves.

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Nope, the technology can’t do that. Sadly, Covid is much harder to detect than alcohol. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

he vaccine prevents you from getting seriously ill WHEN you catch Covid. It does not prevent you from catching it. 

This is not what all the studies are showing at all.  The vaccines are absolutely preventing transmission.  But hey, you dont even need the studies to see that is true at this point.  Just look at countries like the US which have a very high vaccination rate where cases are falling off a cliff versus other countries with low or no vaccination rates where they are not.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

Nope. Our phones are turned off and in the safe the entire cruise.

On the cruise yes, she said "ever ever", tell  me again how none of us carry a phone at all times...except on a ship.

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

This is incorrect.

Moderna and Pfizer are very effective in preventing acquiring the virus, close to 98% the last I read at Hopkins. For the 2-4% for whom the vaccine does not prevent the virus , generally  milder symptoms are manifested. 
J and J is less effective.

(In teens, the  Moderna vaccine was recently shown to be 100% effective in preventing the disease.)

• Like 3

More and more it is looking like land vacations will be a lot more fun for a long time.  No need to wonder if you have to wear a mask.  No need to worry about wearing a tracking device and possibly having to jump through hoops due contact with a positive or false positive person.  On a cruise you can't just pack up and drive to another location if the protocols turn it into something that is no fun.  I loved cruising but for the foreseeable future it will not be for me.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, bouhunter said:

Agreed.  People who think this is a great idea will feel differently if they are imprisoned in their room because they may have been somewhere near someone who had a positive covid test.  

No, actually I won’t.  We booked a suite for just such an occurrence.  While not an ideal situation, being realistic as to the possibility and preparing for it, within reason (suite, kindle, knitting, music, wifi) means we don’t have to stress about it.  We’ve made a choice to cruise this summer, and that choice has risks.   We aren’t worried about getting seriously ill since we are vaccinated, but we accept there is potential for disruption and we accept that.  For those that can’t accept the disruption, whether it’s masking, social distance, tracelets  or quarantine, presumably they will choose to wait before cruising.  

I don’t actually want to wear one of these, but during a cruise, have no problem carrying one (hopefully in my purse, or attached visibly to it rather than on my wrist).  I understand the value in efficient contact tracing related to communicable disease.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, rolloman said:

Tracelet...hmmm maybe the initial usage will be for Covid tracking but I can assure you upon continued use it will be utilized as a marketing device for understanding your habits onboard. 

They can and do do that with your keycard you know.

9 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Sure, plus they can sense your level of inibreation and cut you off at the bars😉

You might want to reconsider that upcoming Cunard/Royal cruise🤣🤣

I think Cunard intent is to operate from the vaccinated standpoint and register the sailings if need be and I doubt they have the tech for this management situation that Royal is doing. They have very slow internet connections on their computers at least. There is no way they could operating a tracelet system in my opinion but I could be wrong about that.

16 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

They can and do do that with your keycard you know.

Not really, only on some ships is the Seapass an RFID device (like the Tracelet) and even on those the read distance is like 1-2 inches.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Not really, only on some ships is the Seapass an RFID device (like the Tracelet) and even on those the read distance is like 1-2 inches.

Do they not put all that stuff into a spreadsheets and those numbers get crunched by people at head office?

33 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Do they not put all that stuff into a spreadsheets and those numbers get crunched by people at head office?

What stuff? To get the cabin door access records they'd likely have to go to the door (not going to happen) - the rest, your purchases (the only other likely place the Seapass card will be scanned), they can get via the purchases so they don't need the RFID records. Yes, those purchase records may get crunched and from those they could get your location/time - not sure what good that info is for location purposes well after the fact, other than perhaps provide an alibi and get you out of murder charge.

• Like 2