Just When We are all Excited About Alaska Cruises Starting Up, then it could all vanish

LAFFNVEGAS

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

They are in mediation...which encourages a negotiated settlement, rather than a ruling from the bench. I agree with jhannah, dismissal and implementation of the mediation agreement would seem far more likely.

The mediation period ended yesterday.
Cruises remain in limbo as feds and Florida continue court fight (yahoo.com)

Edited by Laminator

11 hours ago, boze9999 said:

In the political theater - if DiSantis shuts down cruising in/out of Florida due to the vaccine requirement and additionally shuts down the barely alive Alaska 2021 cruises due to the lawsuits - he needn't worry about his future political theater... just saying.....

I hope that is true, but then some "alternative facts" will be found.

• Like 3

So, the CDC is arguing that they, the CDC, couldn't modify their own order so that it would apply to Alaska? Does that mean that they didn't have the authority to extend, amend or change their previous orders?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, kazu said:

As much as I enjoy the “points guy”. I think this time he is fear mongering.  I am sure there will be a resolution.  Florida wants the cruise ships and the cruise ships need to be vaccinated.  There’s already been a couple of ‘outs’ like “International Waters” (false) but hey if it works for DeSantis it’s all good.

I wouldn’t worry.  I’m sure there will be some agreement reached.  that’s assuming Florida wants cruise ships  back 😉 

Agree.  I also don't put much stock in anything that Yahoo reports on.  They usually emphasize the negative side of everything.  They have NO information on what was agreed to so far.  I'm wondering how often mediation/arbitration meetings resolve everything the first time around...or the second.  Just sayin'.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, AKJonesy said:

I'm wondering how often mediation/arbitration meetings resolve everything the first time around...or the second.  Just sayin'.

I was really surprised that the original judge punted to mediation. I could be woring but disputes between the states and Federal agencies seem like the purview of courts more than mediators.

Edited by POA1

1 hour ago, POA1 said:

I was really surprised that the original judge punted to mediation. I could be woring but disputes between the states and Federal agencies seem like the purview of courts more than mediators.

Mediators just attempt to facilitate an agreement b/t the parties. They don't issue orders or mandate anything.

1 hour ago, leerathje said:

Could you show me when this legislation passed please?  All I have found is this:  "Florida state law, which bans vaccine passports goes into effect on July 1, and is also outlined in an executive order from DeSantis."

https://www.local10.com/news/local/2021/05/29/gov-ron-desantis-said-cruise-lines-will-break-florida-law-if-they-require-passengers-to-be-vaccinated/

Here's the full history of FL SB 2006. You'll want to make special note of the fact that the bill also limits the governor's power and the power of unelected health bureaucrats.

https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2021/2006/

5 hours ago, AKJonesy said:

Agree.  I also don't put much stock in anything that Yahoo reports on.  They usually emphasize the negative side of everything.  They have NO information on what was agreed to so far.  I'm wondering how often mediation/arbitration meetings resolve everything the first time around...or the second.  Just sayin'.

Mediation and arbitration are two totally different processes. Arbitrators hear both sides and come to a binding decision. Mediators try to get the parties negotiating to the point that they can come to an agreement. They cannot force an agreement.

5 hours ago, POA1 said:

The mediator works for the court. The judge would rather the parties come to a mutually agreeable resolution. Now I guess the judge will have to put the dispute on the court calendar. 

If cruises start before the trial, the whole lawsuit could become moot.

• Like 1

Hard to believe the power of the entire congress and the President could be rendered null by the CDC, it's not what our leaders wanted.

Perhaps congress needs to get involved, I can't imagine the Alaska delegation would just sit by and let the season pass.

Edited by atexsix
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, atexsix said:

Hard to believe the power of the entire congress and the President could be rendered null by the CDC, it's not what our leaders wanted.

Perhaps congress needs to get involved, I can't imagine the Alaska delegation would just sit by and let the season pass.

May well be proven wrong by future developments, but this seems to be much ado about little with only those involved in the legal aspects of this being rewarded.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, atexsix said:

Agree but it takes time to push things through Congress.

• Like 2

I agree with everyone, but I just looked and the story has gone viral, already in WAPO and WSJ, so it's going to get noticed rather quickly.  I don't see Lisa Murkowski sitting on the sidelines as hard as she worked on all this. 

• Like 1

Here's the worst case scenario. FL has applied for an injunction in a federal court. Suppose that FL wins.

Then, someone challenges the all-vax cruises out of Seattle etc. The CDC wins that case. With a split decision, the issue gets kicked upstairs to the Supreme Court.

How long would that take? Biz and stock markets hate uncertainty. Would you make FP under these circumstances?

3 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

Would you make FP under these circumstances?

Many of those sailing to Alaska have already made final payment due to the time frame.

• Like 1