The Daily for Tuesday Jun 08, 2021

richwmn

2 hours ago, wandb said:

Finally I’ve had a chance to sit down and read through today’s “Daily”.  WOW!

I have laughed 😀, cried😢, prayed 🙏, and been amazed all in the last few minutes!!  I don’t post often, but I do try to keep up. 

Thank you all for the beautiful pictures, especially of the children and those of Mt Fuji. Maybe one day I’ll get to see it!

Exactly 16 years ago we were getting home from our very first cruise ever—-a week on land followed by sea cruise on the Ryndam. I fell in love with cruising the first day. Loved that ship and her captain!!  The people on the HAL boards were invaluable!!

Please add my sister to the prayer list, as she has been diagnosed with cancer and is now undergoing some pretty powerful chemo. Thanks!

Graham, welcome to the HAL boards. You will love this site and cruising with HAL!

Barb

Barb, praying that goes well for your Sister.

• Like 7

We visited Shimizu in April 2018. On arrival we were unable to see Ft. Fuji from the ocean side, but we had booked a private excursion which took us around to the other side. Fortunately, the inland side of the mountain was mostly clear of cloud, so we were able to see the mountain fairly well. By the time we started to head back to the ship, the clouds were rolling back in. We were lucky, as the ones who stayed on the ocean side, said it stayed cloudy all day and they never did see the mountain.

20180413_133759.jpg.0c515f59fd03b36f9620f6a9f5eb2125.jpg

Edited by GeorgeCharlie
  • Like 22

3 hours ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

As we were on your cruise, I can a test to the beauty of these pics!  Captain Mark Rowden said it was the best view of Mt Fuji he had seen as well.

One of our best cruises ever!  We were so fortunate,  we saw Fuji San when we arrived at sunset from the plane, later from the train and then the ship.  

6165B629-DB03-4F0A-B041-695BBE401C57.jpeg

E8850959-B836-4619-9B20-E65D214827BE.jpeg

176067E8-52E1-4E73-B6D5-121019F0B8B5.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 22

9 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Hi first time poster on HAL.

My TA sent me some information and deals on the new Pinnacle class ship Rotterdam for the Carribbean in April 2023.

We have 5 cruises booked on P&O/ RCG for 2021/ 2022 but nothing yet for 2023 so I hope you don't mind me chipping in as family have sailed a few times on HAL so I'm interested in what is being said and this thread seems to be interesting.

It is 72°F in our back garden in England and I'm sunbathing and looking at cruise deals.

Regards Graham.

IMG_20210608_145654.jpg

Welcome to our daily HAL report Graham. We do have fun here in this little corner of Cruise Critic.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kochleffel said:

I also ordered some camera accessories, including a flotation wrist strap for my small waterproof camera, and a lanyard for what will be my main camera. That will be a compact superzoom camera, a bit larger than a pocket camera but smaller than a DSLR even without additional lenses.

I'm looking for a camera... what kinds do you have?

• Like 7

8 hours ago, VintageGeo said:

Good morning. As always, thanks for the Daily! A request for prayers for our neighbor's girlfriend, please. We learned last night that she was crossing the street Sat. evening and was hit by a young man driving at a high rate of speed, who then fled. Her name is Lynny Poell. She is 26 and last we heard she is in critical care and non-responsive. Her family believes in the power of prayer, and we know that it moves through this thread regularly.

Stay safe and healthy. Hope everyone has a great day.

Lori & George

Prayers for this young woman and a full recovery. 

• Like 8

There's lots of new additions to the Daily I see.  @grapau27welcome to the Daily.  Who knows how many people are out there lurking but reluctant to post.  Please come join us!

@VintageGeoI'm sorry to hear the story about Lynny.  Prayers for her recovery and please do keep us posted.

@wandb Your sister is in our prayers.  We hope she does well with her treatments.

Thank you for all the beautiful photos today from Shimizu.  It looks like an exceptional area to visit.

Have a good night, all!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dobiemom said:

I'm looking for a camera... what kinds do you have?

The compact superzoom is a Panasonic DCZS80. Expressed as an equivalent to a 35mm camera, the zoom is from 24 to 720mm, but because of the small sensor, the quality isn't equal to that of a larger camera with the same zoom range. However, it weighs only about 11.5 ounces. The Canon PowerShot 420 might be a better value: although it has even more zoom and is a bit larger, the weight is the same and it costs less.

In the CC photo forum, people would likely recommend a so-called "bridge camera" if you don't want to carry interchangeable lenses. They can be quite a lot more expensive, even an order of magnitude more, but are closer in performance to a digital SLR.

The waterproof camera is a Panasonic DMC-TS30. It's a typical pocket camera in other respects, weighing about 5 ounces. I'm taking it along, with the flotation wrist strap, primarily for a rafting excursion for which the operator, even though they provide rain gear, recommends bringing an extra pair of socks to change into afterward.

The camera that I most like using, and get the best results with, is an Olympus DSLR, but that's with a bag of additional lenses.

Edited by kochleffel
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mamaofami said:

I was able to FaceTime with Sam and my son was there when the doctors did their rounds. David, who works at a hospital in Philly and who has worked on stroke units said Sam is making remarkable progress so some of the fear I had is gone. Sam was eating an omelette and Farina when I spoke to him.. The blood clot in his brain did not require a head incision. They thread a catheter up through the groin, and use a gage like devise to surround the clot and remove it. Amazing.

Oh Carol, that is amazing! ❤️

• Like 9

7 hours ago, mamaofami said:

I was able to FaceTime with Sam and my son was there when the doctors did their rounds. David, who works at a hospital in Philly and who has worked on stroke units said Sam is making remarkable progress so some of the fear I had is gone. Sam was eating an omelette and Farina when I spoke to him.. The blood clot in his brain did not require a head incision. They thread a catheter up through the groin, and use a gage like devise to surround the clot and remove it. Amazing.

Thoughts and prayers for your Sam’s speedy recovery!

• Like 9

Thanks to Rich for the daily and to Roy for the lists,  have not been to today's port, enjoying seeing the photos.

@rafinmdRoy, your forllowup report sounds positive.  Keep up the good progress.

@VintageGeowhat a terrible accident, seems that the driver has been caught, was  interested to see that he has been named. Sending best wishes for her full recovery.

@mamaofamithanks for letting us know that Sam is improving.

@wandbsorry that your sister has been diagnosed with cancer, trust that the chemo treatment will be completely successful.

13 C expected here today, we have sunshine, but no wind.

Take care everyone.

• Like 13

12 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Hi first time poster on HAL.

My TA sent me some information and deals on the new Pinnacle class ship Rotterdam for the Carribbean in April 2023.

We have 5 cruises booked on P&O/ RCG for 2021/ 2022 but nothing yet for 2023 so I hope you don't mind me chipping in as family have sailed a few times on HAL so I'm interested in what is being said and this thread seems to be interesting.

It is 72°F in our back garden in England and I'm sunbathing and looking at cruise deals.

Regards Graham.

IMG_20210608_145654.jpg

Welcome to the "Daily", thanks for sharing your photos, you have a lovely garden.

Do you live in North Yorks?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, erewhon said:

Welcome to the "Daily", thanks for sharing your photos, you have a lovely garden.

Do you live in North Yorks?

Thank you erewhon.

We live in County Durham 5 miles from the coast of the North Sea.

• Like 3

Now have one covid-19 case in hospital, transferred from hotel managed isolation..............the first hospital case for a while.

The numbers of cases in Fiji are rapidly rising.

Edited by erewhon
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

There's lots of new additions to the Daily I see.  @grapau27welcome to the Daily.  Who knows how many people are out there lurking but reluctant to post.  Please come join us!

@VintageGeoI'm sorry to hear the story about Lynny.  Prayers for her recovery and please do keep us posted.

@wandb Your sister is in our prayers.  We hope she does well with her treatments.

Thank you for all the beautiful photos today from Shimizu.  It looks like an exceptional area to visit.

Have a good night, all!

Thank you StLouisCruisers for your welcome.

Our cruising experiences so far have been with P&O,Princess, Royal Caribbean and NCL and I have posted regularly on their forum's since December 2016.

I never ventured onto HAL forums before as we had no experience to share but we are seriously looking at booking HAL now after our TA sent us a lot of HAL information yesterday.

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome yesterday and I will  read this thread daily now.

Graham.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, erewhon said:

Thank you for your reply.

You must be up early to be posting now.

It is currently 8.05am in the UK.

We have been awake since 7am and as we are several hours ahead of the US I had a lot of posts to read from last night on  here and the Royal Caribbean Routine day in Lockdown thread plus the P&O thread what are things like where you are before we get ready to go to the vaccination centre for Pauline to get her second Astrazeneca vaccine jab this morning.

Graham.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

It is currently 8.05am in the UK.

We have been awake since 7am and as we are several hours ahead of the US I had a lot of posts to read from last night on  here and the Royal Caribbean Routine day in Lockdown thread plus the P&O thread what are things like where you are before we get ready to go to the vaccination centre for Pauline to get her second Astrazeneca vaccine jab this morning.

Graham.

Thanks, it's 7.10 pm.(Wednesday)  here in NZ.  

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, erewhon said:

Thanks, it's 7.10 pm.(Wednesday)  here in NZ.  

NZ and Australia cruises was on our radar then covid19 hit.

Fortunately we managed to cruise to Hawaii on Grand Princess in November/December 2019 which was also on our to do list.

Paulines cousin lives in Adelaide Australia and they are in daily contact.

Graham.

• Like 4