I want our pleather document folders back (tears)

atexsix

We still have a few of ours. We've had them for years. Never had a battery issue, Wi-Fi connectivity problem with them. :classic_biggrin:

I've been at the airport more than once when network issues halted electronic boarding. We also carry those paper currency things. I also like to have some of those small, flat metal money bits. I use them to test the effectiveness of the scanners. (Pro tip: You can also use handy wipe packets for this. The foil lining is great for testing.)

Edited by POA1
My fingers are too fat for spelling.
  • Like 4
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, canadianbear said:

I still use our old one from HAL from 2008. 

E95997CE-1D22-4C43-99D3-CCDF5B8CF8CD.jpeg

19241549-53A8-4A33-B660-3D08D559D857.jpeg

THAT is exactly what we still have. I treasure the few things that still have the old HAL emblem. I have a bought a few of the memorabilia items off Ebay with the old emblem (why oh why did they change it?) and the old ships which are now sold off that we have travelled on to decorate dh's office along with our travel pics. So many of his clients have cruised that they really enjoy these items. 

• Like 1

Just now, fatcat04 said:

THAT is exactly what we still have. I treasure the few things that still have the old HAL emblem. I have a bought a few of the memorabilia items off Ebay with the old emblem (why oh why did they change it?) and the old ships which are now sold off that we have travelled on to decorate dh's office along with our travel pics. So many of his clients have cruised that they really enjoy these items. 

Treasures aren’t they!  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, atexsix said:

I remembered what we no longer have anymore: the document folder!   

I found one at a second-hand store for $3. You would have thought I hit the motherlode! 😄

5 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

I miss celebrating Doc Dancing 😂

E-doc dancing just isn't the same. 😜

• Like 2

I have quite a few of the fabric ones and pleather.  I use them for every cruise and other vacations.  So handy to have all my papers, docs, tags together in my purse.  Maybe HAL should bring them back and sell them in the gift shop - one way to make money.

• Like 6

They represent the an age in cruising that is quickly disappearing.  The age of"elegance".  Those days are gone forever.   The days of promenade decks, formal nights were everyone on board dressed in tuxes and long formal wear, and top notch service.  On our first cruise our servers were two gentlemen, a server and a helper.  They had two tables!  They were at your beck and call for the whole meal.   In those days the place settings were the full settings.  Each course was served individually.  After each course all the dirty dishes were wisked away as soon as you finished.  Lastly, the promenade deck. A wonderful place to walk or sit with your morning coffee or an evening drink and watch the ocean slip by.  (Sigh)  yes those were wonderful trips that are only experienced as memories....

• Like 3

22 hours ago, RuthC said:

I have a desk drawer full of them, in assorted designs and fabrics, going back to the 90s. 
I know I won't live long enough to wear all of them out. 

Ruth,

I assume that you are aware that are maritime collector dealers who might have some interest in buying some of those folders.  Not sure what each one might be worth, but, selling a few might pay for a new bottle of your favorite adult beverage.  

If interested, I believe it is OK for me to provide a contact for a dealer who is reputable.  I have done so for another CC member.  

13 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

If interested, I believe it is OK for me to provide a contact for a dealer who is reputable.  I have done so for another CC member.  

Thank you! Yes, I would be interested in getting a few bucks for them. (I'll keep one for future use.) 
As I said, I think I have them in three different styles, going way back. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RuthC said:

Thank you! Yes, I would be interested in getting a few bucks for them. (I'll keep one for future use.) 

Call them a "Collector's Series" on eBay. Throw in "rare" and history and authentic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

We have several of the document folios from various cruises and land tours over the years. When it comes time to go out and about, I pull one out and deposit all the various paper versions, (Boarding passes, hotel/airline/shuttle/tour confirmations, etc.) of things we need to have available. I also scan them and email them to myself so that I have electronic copies available if needed. 

23 hours ago, RuthC said:

www.nautiques.net will take you to a maritime collector/dealer who is reputable.  I have purchased some items from this gentleman.  

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

www.nautiques.net will take you to a maritime collector/dealer who is reputable.  I have purchased some items from this gentleman.  

Thank you for the lead! I'll follow up. 

• Like 1

I have been trying to get my hands on one of these for a bit now. Was going through eBay but wasn’t able to locate one. I also followed the link that was provided earlier but with no luck. If anybody has a lead on one of these I would be greatly appreciated if you could send me the information.

10 hours ago, Darfun said:

I have been trying to get my hands on one of these for a bit now. Was going through eBay but wasn’t able to locate one. I also followed the link that was provided earlier but with no luck. If anybody has a lead on one of these I would be greatly appreciated if you could send me the information.

Here you go. It likely won’t last long.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Holland-America-Cruise-Documents-Holder-FREE-SHIPPING-/164424579780?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

On 6/20/2021 at 5:01 AM, Hflors said:

They represent the an age in cruising that is quickly disappearing.  The age of"elegance".  Those days are gone forever.   The days of promenade decks, formal nights were everyone on board dressed in tuxes and long formal wear, and top notch service.  On our first cruise our servers were two gentlemen, a server and a helper.  They had two tables!  They were at your beck and call for the whole meal.   In those days the place settings were the full settings.  Each course was served individually.  After each course all the dirty dishes were wisked away as soon as you finished.  Lastly, the promenade deck. A wonderful place to walk or sit with your morning coffee or an evening drink and watch the ocean slip by.  (Sigh)  yes those were wonderful trips that are only experienced as memories....

I would trade all the pleathers out there if the ships would bring back the wide promenade decks with nice teak loungers where you could actually walk around, smell the ocean, feel the breeze, look for wildlife, all within a few feet of the ocean.  To me that is the very essence of an OCEAN cruise.  Looking down through plexiglass 15 floors above the water line is not even close.

Edited by dockman
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, dockman said:

I would trade all the pleathers out there if the ships would bring back the wide promenade decks with nice teak loungers where you could actually walk around, smell the ocean, feel the breeze, look for wildlife, all within a few feet of the ocean.  To me that is the very essence of an OCEAN cruise.  Looking down through plexiglass 15 floors above the water line is not even close.

Thankfully 8 of the 11 ships in the current HAL fleet still have a traditional promenade deck with teak loungers. 

• Like 4

Hey Darfun,

Could you let me know if you'd like this pleather-rich travel doc case from HAL? If I don't hear soon I'll give it to someone else who did contact me.

This time next year we will be on board and at sea! Cannot wait!

margretha