Covid on Adventure

2 minutes ago, pc_load_letter said:

Sure, RCL handled it well as we would expect them to, but the optics, I argue, are not good.

I dunno, I still think cruises should be 100% vax'd.

That is not going to stop the cases. We just have to understand that cases occur even in the vaccinated and as I have said before, it will not be long before a fully vaccinated cruiser dies from catching it on a cruise ship. The CDC says that 2% of breakthrough cases have been fatal. We just need to keep rolling on when that happens and not let it stop cruising this time. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, asalligo said:

That is not going to stop the cases. We just have to understand that cases occur even in the vaccinated and as I have said before, it will not be long before a fully vaccinated cruiser dies from catching it on a cruise ship. The CDC says that 2% of breakthrough cases have been fatal. We just need to keep rolling on when that happens and not let it stop cruising this time. 

In these 2 cases on AotS, it was unvaccinated children.

18 minutes ago, asalligo said:

Royal Caribbean said that both guests are under the age of 16 and unvaccinated and were immediately quarantined.

One guest is asymptomatic, and the other guest is experiencing mild symptoms.

Those in their immediate travel party are vaccinated and have tested negative, according to a statement from the Miami-based cruise line.

The above italic is quoted from the article. 

7 minutes ago, arkaine23 said:

In these 2 cases on AotS, it was unvaccinated children.

Unvaccinated teens. Unfortunately they could have been vaccinated.

A passenger from that cruise commented that they didn't feel the unvaccinated (6%) were not as compliant about masking as they should have been, particularly the teens. And that crew was not particularly pushy about reminding them.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, pc_load_letter said:

Sure, RCL handled it well as we would expect them to, but the optics, I argue, are not good.

I dunno, I still think cruises should be 100% vax'd.

According to the article, both people were unvaxxed, and under the age of 16....not eligible for the vax. I R.C. handled the situation very well.  

• Like 1

The article doesn't say their age at all, just under 16.  The vaccine is available in the US for 12+, but the article isn't specific enough about their age to know if they were eligible or not.  This cruise was 92% vaccinated 8% not.  This is a ship using Bahamian protocols, not the CDC's CSO.

Edited by arkaine23
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, arkaine23 said:

The article doesn't say their age at all, just under 16.  The vaccine is available in the US for 12+, but the article isn't specific enough about their age to know if they were eligible or not.  This cruise was 92% vaccinated 8% not.  This is a ship using Bahamian protocols, not the CDC's CSO.

I'd likely guess somewhere between 12 and 16

What's really good about this is that NONE of the vaccinated people, close family and crew nd contact raced folks were tested positive.  Speaks volumes for getting the vaccine.

However, the 2 under 18 could NOT have gotten the vaccine and there may be other complications for those under 18 getting the vaccine, albeit those complications have been rare in appearing , just getting media exposure.

5 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Not taking the bait for the argument you've tried to start on multiple threads.  Sorry, not sorry.

He's not arguing....just stating a simple fact...oops - simple IMO (don't want to hurt someone's feelings with 'simple').

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

I'm referring to passengers who booked a sailing through October 31 between the time they made the guarantee and when they rescinded it.

That’s my point. I don’t think they rescinded it. From the beginning, the web page says we’ll do this until Oct. 31. After that, the terms of the contract apply.

Perhaps if someone booked before any policy was announced, that would qualify.

To me it shows that resumption protocols are working and vaccines are the major factor.

There might be some contact tracing/testing and guests getting quarantined briefly though as per protocols when cases do pop up.  And rarely, some people could get quarantined in a port city hotel after the cruise and have to wait to fly home.

Edited by arkaine23

Looks like those who are vaccinated have so far not gotten sick. But these positive test results on the first test cruises indicate that there has to be protocols that keep a tight watch over those that aren't vaccinated.

I understand that some people can't get the vaccines for health reasons, but they must understand that their cruise experience cannot be the same as others on board who are. There will be times when they cannot leave their cabins or miss out on some activities onboard.

You know this is not going to go over well with some cruise customers. But if continued cruise testing indicates the need, they will have to live with it. You have to wonder how long it will be before those who have been taken off ship after a positive test or the unvaccinated in general planning a vacation risk having their future cruise curtailed or limited in scope. 

Landed resorts like All Inclusives will obviously be forced to set up the same protocols as well to insure their properties are safe and attractive to the majority who will be vaccinated.   

You have to think that most people will get the vaccinations as they become available across the globe, especially for their children. This should greatly solve the now existing problem. Testing protocols before opening up entire cruise schedules obviously is working and is the way to go.

1 hour ago, KKB said:

Unvaccinated teens. Unfortunately they could have been vaccinated.

A passenger from that cruise commented that they didn't feel the unvaccinated (6%) were not as compliant about masking as they should have been, particularly the teens. And that crew was not particularly pushy about reminding them.

If these cruise lines are going to allow unvaccinated passengers to sail, they need to be very strict about enforcing the rules they have set for unvaccinated passengers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

What's really good about this is that NONE of the vaccinated people, close family and crew nd contact raced folks were tested positive.  Speaks volumes for getting the vaccine.

However, the 2 under 18 could NOT have gotten the vaccine and there may be other complications for those under 18 getting the vaccine, albeit those complications have been rare in appearing , just getting media exposure.

let's hope none of the contact traced folks test positive after getting home or that any crew does in coming days.     Remember there is an average 5 to 7 days before you could test positive after exposure.       

But it is good to hear their protocols are working and they were able to get charter flights for the family to get home.     Still curious on how they managed that since US wants a negative test before entering the US. 

38 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

There still could be breakthrough cases with the parents, but we will never know. Took me 5 days after my daughter’s symptoms to start feeling mine. 

The CDC quit tracking breakthrough cases, unless hospitalized or death.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/05/27/1000933529/cdc-approach-to-breakthrough-infections-sparks-concerns

Edited by crzndeb

8 minutes ago, fairweather said:

I understand that some people can't get the vaccines for health reasons, but they must understand that their cruise experience cannot be the same as others on board who are.

Most of the people who cannot get a vaccine are immunocompromised--so they are extremely unlikely to cruise anyway. An incredibly small number of the population as a whole; few who would cruise.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/recommendations/underlying-conditions.html?s_cid=10485:who should not take the covid vaccine:sem.ga:p:RG:GM:gen:PTN:FY21

20 hours ago, sandebeach said:

Just read on a blog from the ship that the teens were unvaccinated; one is asymptomatic and one has mild symptoms. The vaccinated parents tested negative. Teens and parents disembarked at Freeport, to return home to Florida. All contacts tested and negative. 

So......those two teens must have tested negative to board the ship. Right? Those tests are not 100% accurate; either that or the kids did not have enough virus load at the time of the test to test positive???

Again......those tests are not completely accurate. But, that is all the cruise lines have to allow un-vaxxed passengers to cruise with them.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Sacrificial lambs, if you will.

Actually great way to get home😇

Is Royal paying for the family's transportation home? Who pays for transportation home if it were un-vaxxed adults who tested positive? How does that work?

18 hours ago, ticketsunlimited said:

Great numbers.  Only 2 passengers.  Both unvaccinated but the vaccinated passengers with them were negative.  Such a great example of the power of the vaccinations.

It really has saved the cruise industry.  Numbers came out for May Covid  deaths 18,000 unfortunate souls. 150 out of the 18,000 deaths were breakthrough vaccinated people. We are definately headed in the right direction. .8% of Covid deaths are vaccinated the rest are unvaccinated.

These people who are breakthrough infections that have died......do they have co-morbidities that contributed to their deaths? Much like people with co-morbidities that die of Covid that were not vaccinated?

18 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

If it was like last week, many of the unvaccinated passengers did not properly follow mask protocols. 

Wasn't this a 95% vaccinated cruise? If it was, then no one had to wear a mask anywhere on the ship. Isn't that correct? Please correct me if I'm wrong.