Apex - 6/26/21 as live as possible 😃

PTCruizer

58 minutes ago, CalTexCruiser said:

This is great to know 👍

Do you specify a destination and does the Uber app give you an estimated cost up front?

Yes, I selected a location and it gave me an estimate up front. This one was 10€ - 15€ and it came in at 12€.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is so exciting to see postings again and ships on their way to ports, as Covid has dampened many spirits, especially from those of us who need that fix!  Photos are so important, along with information and answering questions; however, you do have to make time for your cruise. Thanking all of you who share information on this thread, as so many of us are eager to read what you write!

• Like 2

Reports of the internet being dreadfully slow are accurate. None of the graphics are loading so it feels almost like I’m writing this post in html. The ship felt eerily quiet yesterday but with today being a sea day I should get a better feel for how few passengers there are onboard. We sailed an hour early and are having a leisurely sail this morning at about 5 knots. For those wanting to know about the safety protocols, we are still having to wear masks onboard. I haven’t seen any strict enforcement of this but for the most part people are complying with the rule while indoors. Outside it seems like most people are not wearing them unless they are just transiting from one location to another. For the record, we’ve been maskless in Pensacola for a few months now and I was bummed about having to go back to the mask but, it doesn’t really bother us at all. The thrill of being back onboard is just so incredible that mask or no mask, we’re having a great time. If anything changes officially about the masks I’ll let everyone know. Off to find coffee now.

• Like 6

Several activities have been rescheduled without notice, for example, the free $5 slot play. They did add a shore excursion if they can get 25 people. I think it was the Santorini Sunset Cruise on a sailing vessel. The ship is staying until 10 instead of 7pm so they were able to add this. Right now it's breezy and a pleasant temperature in the shade. Last night the Normandie restaurant was basically empty for a long time. It always feels like all the passengers are "somewhere else" but they are at home. I also heard that not all the rooms were sold that could be. Don't know the real answer. Last week the Wind Star was more than half full at 87 pax on their first sailing. Half full on the Apex would be way more than 600! 

22 hours ago, PTCruizer said:

We showed up at the pier at 1:00 for our 1:30 appointment. Checkin was smooth. First thing we did was the nasal swab Covid test. Had results in about 15 minutes. They checked our passports and express passes a few times and then after the obligatory boarding photo we were onboard for the first time in 18 months. All told, 30 minutes from arrival to board. The crew are so very happy to see guests, it really shows. Here is a picture from the checkin tent. 

21759B79-3FD1-4FB0-8096-294075711071.jpeg

Hi @PTcruiser,

We were on the 6/19 sailing and decided to stay on APEX for a second week. We got off the ship in the morning to take care of some business in Athens but got back on around noon. I stopped by the check-in area to see if operations were better than the previous Saturday. It was nice to see things much more organized and orderly. Kudos to Celebrity and the port for making the necessary adjustments. 
Completely agree about the staff - looking forward to week 2 on this amazing ship. 
Happy cruising!

Margaret

• Like 1

1 hour ago, little britain said:

Is there an outside jogging track and what distance is one lap please?

Assume jogging is maskless! 🥵

2.5 laps is 1km

4.5 laps in 1mile

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MMG3 said:

We were on the 6/19 sailing and decided to stay on APEX for a second week

Did you have to have another PCR test before boarding your second week?

Edited by upwarduk

6 hours ago, PTCruizer said:

Reports of the internet being dreadfully slow are accurate. None of the graphics are loading so it feels almost like I’m writing this post in html. The ship felt eerily quiet yesterday but with today being a sea day I should get a better feel for how few passengers there are onboard. We sailed an hour early and are having a leisurely sail this morning at about 5 knots. For those wanting to know about the safety protocols, we are still having to wear masks onboard. I haven’t seen any strict enforcement of this but for the most part people are complying with the rule while indoors. Outside it seems like most people are not wearing them unless they are just transiting from one location to another. For the record, we’ve been maskless in Pensacola for a few months now and I was bummed about having to go back to the mask but, it doesn’t really bother us at all. The thrill of being back onboard is just so incredible that mask or no mask, we’re having a great time. If anything changes officially about the masks I’ll let everyone know. Off to find coffee now.

in regards to the internet what package did you get ? 

• Like 1

So you are on a fully vaccinated cruise and still wearing masks...despite CDC protocol allowing no masking or social distancing on 90%+ cruises. That is disappointing... and unexpected

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, kearney said:

So you are on a fully vaccinated cruise and still wearing masks...despite CDC protocol allowing no masking or social distancing on 90%+ cruises. That is disappointing... and unexpected

The CDC has nothing to do with this cruise. The mask rules are driven by the Greek authorities according to all reports. 

Edited by harkinmr
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, kearney said:

This was announced a couple of weeks ago -- and has nothing to do with CDC as they have no jurisdiction outside US waters.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

This was announced a couple of weeks ago -- and has nothing to do with CDC as they have no jurisdiction outside US waters.

Sorry...I just realized this was not the Edge sailing....

9 minutes ago, marieps said:

Still hoping for a "Live From" the Edge.  So great to see her departure on the webcam yesterday.

Exactly... I saw "live" and jumped to conclusions...  Alas not the first time I have misread something..

7 minutes ago, kearney said:

Exactly... I saw "live" and jumped to conclusions...  Alas not the first time I have misread something..

OT but my friend is on Edge - her FB shows all crew wearing masks and all guests wearing them when they boarded...🤷‍♂️

Edited by little britain

3 minutes ago, little britain said:

OT but my friend is on Edge - her FB shows all crew wearing masks and all guests wearing them when they boarded...🤷‍♂️

I am seeing photos of guests onboard both with and without masks. There is a photo of some guests with Richard Fain on the Magic Carpet without masks and people in the background also maskless. But then these same folks got a shot with Capt. Kate and everyone was masked. 

So...my Uber app will work both at the airport and from my hotel?  That's the last piece of the puzzle for us...We're doing B2Bs (July 31/August 7), staying 4 nights pre-cruise and one post-cruise at the Hilton.  It will be great to not have to guess the cost and also not having to Euros on hand or pull out a credit card.

Our boarding time is 11:30 am--which I assume may be the first appointment.  I was thinking it would be the plan to get there a little early--like around 11:00--so, just maybe they'd let us on a little early.  Or do they just not set up to see anyone until 11:30?  Anyone have experience with an early boarding appointment?