Does anyone going on a cruise not take the trip insurance?

BevvylynnC

3 hours ago, sansterre said:

We have Chase Sapphire, but not aware of any insurance provided.  Is it specifically for international travel?  If so, many thanks as we will cancel a policy we took out for a cruise this Fall.

I believe it is the sapphire reserve card. $10000 per person per trip. Also the reserve gives 2500 dollars toward medical and $100,000 for medical evacuation. I used it two years ago for a medical issue that caused a trip cancellation. Lots of paperwork, but 6 weeks later I got a check for $5400.

The only times I've taken insurance was when we were doing a transatlantic cruise, since if we missed boarding, there would be no port to fly to.

Our basic health insurance includes a phone service for arranging medical care, evacuation, etc.

We are seniors but in very good health.  We're willing to take our chances, $$-wise, and so far are way ahead.  

A personal decision, for sure.

1 minute ago, wesport said:

I believe it is the sapphire reserve card. $10000 per person per trip. Also the reserve gives 2500 dollars toward medical and $100,000 for medical evacuation. I used it two years ago for a medical issue that caused a trip cancellation. Lots of paperwork, but 6 weeks later I got a check for $5400.

Insurance thru your credit card is often a great value and sometimes overlooked.    This may be a GREAT option for many.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Insurance thru your credit card is often a great value and sometimes overlooked.    This may be a GREAT option for many.   

We rely on that, too.  In reading the fine print, it's important to note that the entire trip needs to be on the one card.  At least that was my takeaway.  In the past, we haven't been careful enough about that.  Sometimes I would put deposit down with my own card and then when final payment came due, we'd use a different one.  Not anymore.  Now we put all payments, all excursions, everything on the Chase Sapphire.  If an accident happened on an excursion and a different card was used, Chase insurance might be void.

That is my understanding, anyway. 

• Like 3

A great resource is Steve at The Trip Insurance Store.   https://tripinsurancestore.com/

I have no affiliation with them, but I spoke with them once and they were very helpful explaining the ins and outs - especially all the insurance company caveats and exclusions.    Low pressure - easy to talk to.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, highscar said:

Speaking from experience. Having a family member pass away on board. You would never go without full insurance. Holland America was wonderful in helping.  

Did the insurance company help with all the protocols and forms required when someone dies onboard or only the expense?   I have observed from afar some of the hassles (aside from the grief etc)  that an onboard death can create and am wondering if insurance makes that part easier or makes the final expenses easier.

18 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

We rely on that, too.  In reading the fine print, it's important to note that the entire trip needs to be on the one card.  At least that was my takeaway.  In the past, we haven't been careful enough about that.  Sometimes I would put deposit down with my own card and then when final payment came due, we'd use a different one.  Not anymore.  Now we put all payments, all excursions, everything on the Chase Sapphire.  If an accident happened on an excursion and a different card was used, Chase insurance might be void.

That is my understanding, anyway. 

I always try to put it on one card.  It sometimes is tempting not to, when card company is offering a special incentive, but I have never felt comfortable in splitting up the charge, just in case.  I even use the Chase Sapphire card when I purchase Future Cruise Deposits onboard - keeps everything simplier.

We started getting Travelguard through our big box TA after we reached a certain age and were likely to have more potential medical issues. Three days before one of our early insured cruises, a long & special trip, my mother-in-law was hospitalized and died shortly after all of us arrived at her bedside. We received a full refund which made us true believers.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Great reason to insure - good thoughts

Cruise insurance is usually about 5-7% of the fare depending on age etc....If you cruise more than 15-20 times you will probably come out ahead (not getting insurance), but sometimes its easier to accept a small loss every time rather than a big one once in a while.   For me - the thought of losing a fare at the last second would be unfortunate - but no big deal.  For many others, that is not the case.    You have to reflect on your own risk tolerance and make the decision based on what you are comfortable with.   

Well, my insurance has not been that high a percentage as I just need trip cancellation 😉   I live in Canada not the U.S. and also benefit from a discounted rate as one of my previous job benefits.

As to losing fares, I think it depends upon the class of cabin you book as well as the length of the cruise.  We haven’t been on World cruises like you have but we do lengthy cruises normally.

Agree on the risk tolerance.  As I said, all my premiums were more than paid for by one pay out by my insurance company  due to covid.  So, it seems to me we are ahead of the game.  

I’d rather be behind the game and cruising but we are in the times we are and I was very grateful to get that cheque 😉 

Once many years ago and we did not take travel insurance and then my sister died just a few days before our cruise resulting in a big loss.  We did get back port fees & taxes. 

5 years ago we were set to fly to Hong Kong for a month long Asian cruise.  About 1 month before the flight & cruise I was diagnosed with Stage 2 Breast Cancer (now a 5 year survivor).  The taxes & port fees were refunded to our credit card and we did get a little refund from HAL.  But the travel insurance covered everything else ( it was probably over a $10,000 cruise).  So consequently NOW we ALWAYS take out Travel Insurance!  It’s only a small cost in the big picture!!!  

Also,  good insurance in case of a Medical Evacuation.

• Like 1

We have 60 days out of country medical as a pension benefit.  We are in good health but accidents happen.  My spouse fell and cracked several vertebrae when we were in Kuala Lumper.   Insurance covered all hospital costs.  

We typically travel for 60 days at a time.  If we plan to be away longer we buy add on insurance.

We have not looked at any cruise line insurance in a few years.  When we did we did not find it competitive.  Overpriced and less comprehensive.     Same for the insurance that our on line TA sells.

A very experienced TA who did all of our business travel always advised against buying her insurance or any travel product vendor insurance for this reason.  We found out why when we shopped.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

I always try to put it on one card.  It sometimes is tempting not to, when card company is offering a special incentive, but I have never felt comfortable in splitting up the charge, just in case.  I even use the Chase Sapphire card when I purchase Future Cruise Deposits onboard - keeps everything simplier.

I used to surprise DH with excursions etc., like maybe the zip line or something, and use my own card so he wouldn't see.  But not anymore.  You're exactly right -- all one card.

1 hour ago, dmcfad2 said:

I don’t know if it’s right or not, but we don’t get insurance. 

We did with Viking twice. My husband got cancer and we tried to file a claim and they took months to even give us an answer and then turned us down for a refund on a cruise we didn’t get to take due to his needing radiation treatments. Finally Viking came through with a credit for within a period of time that we couldn’t go anyway. So the one they use, not interested in. 

This is such a group! Lots of great thoughts and advise. Again I thank you all! I feel clearer on my options and will look into American Express as that is what I am using. I thought trip insurance was only available through the cruise line! I thank you all for the education!! Hoping all cruising is going to be great! I absolutely loved my only other experience, my husband did not which is why am single traveling this time. He is gifting me another experience! He is a land lover and will do a resort for him sometime! Thanks all! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BevvylynnC said:

Thank you for replying. I am going as a single. 2022, no pre conditions and have medical coverage. I am vaccinated. Some people say yes, but other friends say it is just a wasted expense. Hmmm, trying to make a decision. 

You have to consider what is of concern to you. Which expenses would trouble you most and what coverage do you already have that might apply?

One thing that is new is the possibility of quarantine before returning to the US. Some cruise lines are covering those expenses now, but it is for a limited time.

Another thing is to be sure that you do not have a pre-existing condition as defined by the insurance company. If you take any meds, something as simple as a prescription change before a cruise can be counted as pre-existing if it causes your condition to become unstable.

Others have mentioned loss of cruise fare, trip delays, or lost luggage. You know what losses are tolerable to you, but if you have concerns talk to a reputable broker. Others here have mentioned Steve Dasseos at The Trip Insurance Store. He has a good reputation here on CC. It is a place to start.

Edited by Babr

5 hours ago, BevvylynnC said:

Thank you for replying. I am going as a single. 2022, no pre conditions and have medical coverage. I am vaccinated. Some people say yes, but other friends say it is just a wasted expense. Hmmm, trying to make a decision.

Double post. Sorry.

Edited by Babr

13 minutes ago, BarbRN said:

We did with Viking twice. My husband got cancer and we tried to file a claim and they took months to even give us an answer and then turned us down for a refund on a cruise we didn’t get to take due to his needing radiation treatments. Finally Viking came through with a credit for within a period of time that we couldn’t go anyway. So the one they use, not interested in. 

And that is a widely used company, they have horrible service.

Inside the cabin.    It was very complex .   The deceased was ordered off the ship to the country close to where the death occurred. Many expences.  All were looked after. All I can say is insurance was a “god send”. 

I just decided to add up the number of days and cruises we have taken.  Total is 45 cruises and 1232 days.  Longest cruise was 89 days.  We have never bought travel insurance.   I feel that if I can afford a cruise and air fare and for some reason I don't do the trip - no big deal.  My dw once had some treatment on a Princess ship off of Africa, but we put in a claim to TRICARE when we got back and got a refund.  (I am retired Navy).

I think insurance comes under the old adage about not putting all eggs in one basket.   Never buy the in-house insurance.  There are always better options.  In the past cruise line insurance was known to be argumentative, slow and of limited value.   

• Like 1