Ocean Medallion App - Part 3

margord

10 hours ago, cruisingram1 said:

When we arrived we were given a piece of paper with Elite, Platinum or General group boarding with several letter designations. Each group of three had a separate seating area. I don’t know where suites were in the mix. They called Elite first and there was a rush to the boarding area. My husband commented that the general seating area was emptying out. I told him it was his imagination as they hadn’t even called Platinum yet. The line was slow moving. As we lined up they started asking for the group papers and I heard some people saying they are finally asking people to embark by their groups. I assume that meant they had not been doing so before that. People are just eager to get on board. Board by Groups or show when you want. Probably same effect in the end. We all get on. No different than plane boarding by groups. Though I am always surprised when they board front first so everyone has to climb over those who board ahead of them. Should board back first. 

Thanks for the explain.  You have described how it is supposed to work.  BTW, the Suites are in with the Elites.  That group is to go first, followed by Platinums, followed by General.  Within each major group, I have seen alpha cards handed out in Port Everglades, like A, B, C.  There are so many A's handed out to first check-ins, then move to B's, etc.  If they call by sub-groups, then everyone is getting on both in priority boarding order and in order of arrival at the terminal.  OTOH, I have also seen them just call the Elite/Suite room in general.  As for Platinum at Port Everglades, I recall back when we were in that group, they filled in rows of seats upstairs in Terminal 2 and then, when the time came, guests were "unloaded" by rows to head for the gangway(s).  

Not saying it happens exactly the same every time.  Also, some terminals do not have the same space as others.  Also, I cannot speak to terminals on the west coast as never cruised from there.  Clearly there should have been sufficient control and staff to allow the priority boarding to procede without General boarding getting mixed in.

4 hours ago, cltnccruisers said:

First I've heard of any kind of paper process.

Paper may have been in play there, IDK.  In Port Everglades, I have seen reusable hard-board cards handed out at check-in which are collected by terminal staff as guests head to the gangway.  Thus, they know only those walking by are among the groups called.

39 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Thanks for the explain.  You have described how it is supposed to work.  BTW, the Suites are in with the Elites.  That group is to go first, followed by Platinums, followed by General.  Within each major group, I have seen alpha cards handed out in Port Everglades, like A, B, C.  There are so many A's handed out to first check-ins, then move to B's, etc.  If they call by sub-groups, then everyone is getting on both in priority boarding order and in order of arrival at the terminal.  OTOH, I have also seen them just call the Elite/Suite room in general.  As for Platinum at Port Everglades, I recall back when we were in that group, they filled in rows of seats upstairs in Terminal 2 and then, when the time came, guests were "unloaded" by rows to head for the gangway(s).  

Not saying it happens exactly the same every time.  Also, some terminals do not have the same space as others.  Also, I cannot speak to terminals on the west coast as never cruised from there.  Clearly there should have been sufficient control and staff to allow the priority boarding to procede without General boarding getting mixed in.

Paper may have been in play there, IDK.  In Port Everglades, I have seen reusable hard-board cards handed out at check-in which are collected by terminal staff as guests head to the gangway.  Thus, they know only those walking by are among the groups called.

We go out of Port Everglades.  We've always just been passed through when we arrived near the beginning of our Arrival Time.  That may change as capacity increases - we'll find out in June.

27 minutes ago, cltnccruisers said:

We go out of Port Everglades.  We've always just been passed through when we arrived near the beginning of our Arrival Time.  That may change as capacity increases - we'll find out in June.

Yes - anyone arriving after general boarding has begun simply proceeds onto the gangway without having to wait in the terminal.

17 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Yes - anyone arriving after general boarding has begun simply proceeds onto the gangway without having to wait in the terminal.

FLL  is always easy, I think.  Those pics with the lines all the way outside…is that SFO and LA San Pedro?  Is it because they have small indoor seating areas?  Just curious.

10 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

FLL  is always easy, I think.  Those pics with the lines all the way outside…is that SFO and LA San Pedro?  Is it because they have small indoor seating areas?  Just curious.

Not sure - someone else should answer that?  It does seem that lines were unexpectedly extra long according to posts I have read.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Sounds like a noro vector.

14 hours ago, pootsien2 said:

Something got messed up on my reply! I just got my medallion today in my mailbox for cruise on April 24. Sign up for informed delivery on USPS if you haven't used that, it will show you are getting something with a tracking number.

I don't see the need to get medallion ahead of time. April 2 San Pedro we were sorted into Platinum/Elie or General lines. No indication of blue or green lanes. Had to go to desk to have documents checked, Princess person asked if we had Medallions, turned to counter behind her and gave us our medallions plus a Green Lane card. I never needed to show the card to anyone, everyone boarded together. No benefit to getting medallion early and no risk of it getting lost in the mail.

We were Green in the App, so maybe if we had needed to fill in a lot of paperwork the final person would have sent us to another desk for blue lane.

1 hour ago, Tedferg said:

I don't see the need to get medallion ahead of time. April 2 San Pedro we were sorted into Platinum/Elie or General lines. No indication of blue or green lanes. Had to go to desk to have documents checked, Princess person asked if we had Medallions, turned to counter behind her and gave us our medallions plus a Green Lane card. I never needed to show the card to anyone, everyone boarded together. No benefit to getting medallion early and no risk of it getting lost in the mail.

We were Green in the App, so maybe if we had needed to fill in a lot of paperwork the final person would have sent us to another desk for blue lane.

We had the medallion ahead, green lane etc for FLL.  Went through green lane: Scanned medallion, showed passport, covid test result & vaccine card. Walked right in.  Only took about 2 mins for us.

So, it did speed us up quite a bit. No line, no waiting. Super quick. 

If you don’t get it, no worries, like you said…just go to the desk and you’ll get one. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

We had the medallion ahead, green lane etc for FLL.  Went through green lane: Scanned medallion, showed passport, covid test result & vaccine card. Walked right in.  Only took about 2 mins for us.

So, it did speed us up quite a bit. No line, no waiting. Super quick. 

If you don’t get it, no worries, like you said…just go to the desk and you’ll get one. 

About 5 minutes for us.  But we had 7, 4 of whom had never been on anything bigger than a rowboat.  They did a lot of staring and "Damn, that's a big boat..."

• Haha 4

Update for passport scanning.  It doesn't want middle names.  I googled this and others had same issue.  You have to delete the middle name along with the space right after your first name and then you can save and move on.  At the pier they will look at it again anyway, but this allows you to complete the check list at least.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, atexsix said:

Update for passport scanning.  It doesn't want middle names.  I googled this and others had same issue.  You have to delete the middle name along with the space right after your first name and then you can save and move on.  At the pier they will look at it again anyway, but this allows you to complete the check list at least.

As you now know when the passport scans it will put first name & middle name on the first name line and you get that error message.  DH has had that msg since pre covid medallion days and he still gets the green check so we have never changed it. That being said a friend who is traveling with us on Saturday called Princess and they said you don’t need the middle name.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, t&atravel said:

As you now know when the passport scans it will put first name & middle name on the first name line and you get that error message.  DH has had that msg since pre covid medallion days and he still gets the green check so we have never changed it. That being said a friend who is traveling with us on Saturday called Princess and they said you don’t need the middle name.

Thank you!

Since you are in the know, when do we fill in section 5 for health status?  The app states within 24 hours so I'm not sure if that means sailing time or what. 

I don't know if green is even relevant because my Dad usually has to have the terminal fetch a wheelchair and they always bring us to a special counter.  

7 minutes ago, atexsix said:

Thank you!

Since you are in the know, when do we fill in section 5 for health status?  The app states within 24 hours so I'm not sure if that means sailing time or what. 

I don't know if green is even relevant because my Dad usually has to have the terminal fetch a wheelchair and they always bring us to a special counter.  

Do the health questionaire the evening before you sail.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, atexsix said:

Thank you!

24 hours before the cruise.

I already filled it in, so I'd know what to expect on the "official" day. If you do it ahead of time, it just deletes it and you do it again within 24 hours of cruise.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, highloyo said:

Did you get an email notification from Princess with a tracking number? It is sent via USPS. Go on the USPS website to track it and the expected delivery date. I received the medallions about a week after the notice. 

I did not get a email from Princess

20 hours ago, pootsien2 said:

I didn't get a notification from Princess. I saw a tracking number for a package on my informed delivery that is how I knew when it was expected for delivery. I hadn't ordered anything else so figured it had to be the medallion.

Glad to hear you did not get a notification from Princess because I did not either.  I do have USPS informed delivery, but have seen nothing yet.

6 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Good to know, thanks for sharing!

1 hour ago, West Coast Gal said:

Glad to hear you did not get a notification from Princess because I did not either.  I do have USPS informed delivery, but have seen nothing yet.

Got a notice today from Princess.  Your Ocean Medallion Order Receipt and Shipping Confirmation.  Also got a separate notice from Informed Delivery. Both had the same tracking number included.

Edited by Thrak
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, West Coast Gal said:

I did not get a email from Princess

It reads like this. 

Great news - your OceanMedallion™ for your upcoming Princess MedallionClass™ vacation is on its way. Please keep the information below as your receipt.

Please be sure to wear your Medallion® device to your port of embarkation to allow for an expedited, contactless arrival experience.

10 hours ago, Thrak said:

Got a notice today from Princess.  Your Ocean Medallion Order Receipt and Shipping Confirmation.  Also got a separate notice from Informed Delivery. Both had the same tracking number included.

Funny thing...once my Informed Delivery notices started they couldn't seem to stop. I'd get 3 or 4 all at the same time with the same information. Couldn't find any way to turn it off.🤷‍♀️

On 4/11/2022 at 9:37 AM, Userclown said:

I find it odd that some are having totally hateful experiences with the Medallion APP and others, no problems! Any glitches I had were easy to fix and move on. I like the app and the medallion. I have not had any real issues with them!

I totally agree.  The app is a joy to use while on the ship and we have had no issues.

Help needed please.

We have a cruise booked for August and have just booked one earlier for June. Just gone into the app and all the info for the August cruise has disappeared including all the dining times I had picked. How do I get back into the August cruise info

44 minutes ago, amajaa said:

Help needed please.

We have a cruise booked for August and have just booked one earlier for June. Just gone into the app and all the info for the August cruise has disappeared including all the dining times I had picked. How do I get back into the August cruise info

Okay I think I’ve cracked this now. The original cruise has now appeared and all the original dining times have not popped up. I assume it was to do with the fact the second cruise was being added and there was a temporary blip.