Ocean Medallion App - Part 3

margord

On 4/2/2022 at 6:31 PM, GulfShoresCruiser said:

Just off the Sky (3/28) and this was our first and last Princess cruise....Just wanted to pass along to all of you that are fretting over the Medallion app to not worry about it...It did not seem to matter at check in whether you had it or not or what you color code was....Also, onboard, we only used the medallion to open our door (which it sometimes takes longer or sometimes seems to leave the door unlocked long before you approach).  Anytime we ordered a drink the waiter just asks for your room number.  It is useful in holding up the line to make sure you scan it and in the dining room it keeps you from going right to a pre-assigned table.  

Good luck to all of you with it but we are not interested in anything to do with Medallion and Princess for now...

Do you dislike Princess or just their app?

1 minute ago, AF-1 said:

Do you dislike Princess or just their app?

Like it or not, the app is the face of Princess especially for first time cruisers.  Problems with the app cannot fail to color the first timers' opinions once onboard.  Hard to separate the two.

• Like 1

Just now, cltnccruisers said:

Like it or not, the app is the face of Princess especially for first time cruisers.  Problems with the app cannot fail to color the first timers' opinions once onboard.  Hard to separate the two.

I read stories just like this one on the other cruise lines forums also.  Wonder how many frustrated passengers there are on all the different lines.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

I read stories just like this one on the other cruise lines forums also.  Wonder how many frustrated passengers there are on all the different lines.

The only other cruise app I have used is Celebrity pre-covid.  It was not nearly as ambitious as Princess so there was less to fail.  The issues I ran into were annoying but not showstoppers.  I was either able to figure them out myself or found help on these boards.

40 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Simple browser based  interface on Marella seem to get fewer problems for many people.

Significant problem with the princess app it's just too big once running.

It looks like a case of poor specification and project control for it to get so big and slow.

Great for the development teams they just create vast quantities of ongoing work that needs paying for.

Is it out sourced or in-house?

2 hours ago, AF-1 said:

I'm new to Princess, we sail in six weeks.  From an outsiders point of view the whole thing smacks of a rushed implementation without any testing protocols in place, you don't want that much investment and capital tied into unproven technology; I haven't been around Princess long enough to know if they actually followed any type of process, particularly evaluation/post-analysis, but I'm sure "management-think" has a lot to do with the ongoing cluster____, their attitude is to just plug it in, flip the switch, and boom, all is good; Apple and Android are infamous for this, gone are the days of lengthy alphas and betas, "just get it done, we have shareholders to please".  I'll do the best I can with it, they're lucky I'm probably a little more tech savvy than the average customer, but the real test will be embarkation and the ship itself.  

@atexsixYou catch on quickly - good analysis and something that posters have been lamenting since Medallion first debuted but especially since cruising restarted and passengers had no choice but to use the App with absolutely minimal guidance from Princess.  Hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised on board where many of us have had a better experience.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, atexsix said:

I'm new to Princess, we sail in six weeks.  From an outsiders point of view the whole thing smacks of a rushed implementation without any testing protocols in place, you don't want that much investment and capital tied into unproven technology; I haven't been around Princess long enough to know if they actually followed any type of process, particularly evaluation/post-analysis, but I'm sure "management-think" has a lot to do with the ongoing cluster____, their attitude is to just plug it in, flip the switch, and boom, all is good; Apple and Android are infamous for this, gone are the days of lengthy alphas and betas, "just get it done, we have shareholders to please".  I'll do the best I can with it, they're lucky I'm probably a little more tech savvy than the average customer, but the real test will be embarkation and the ship itself.  

It's largely due to this guy (John Padgett)

image.jpeg.ad5d5591ac7cf90d54b4d9d45efe9266.jpeg

I've never seen a picture of him or seen him in a video when he didn't have this incredibly fake "Marketer's Smile" plastered on his face. When you see someone like this you know he's a phony. He's the "mastermind" behind this fiasco. Naturally they promoted him to President of the line.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

It's largely due to this guy (John Padgett)

image.jpeg.ad5d5591ac7cf90d54b4d9d45efe9266.jpeg

I've never seen a picture of him or seen him in a video when he didn't have this incredibly fake "Marketer's Smile" plastered on his face. When you see someone like this you know he's a phony. He's the "mastermind" behind this fiasco. Naturally they promoted him to President of the line.

Dartboard photo.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Well, there you go - it's Sunday night.  I was only on MC App and no notices there about system maintenance or outages.  Thanks for heads up as I had not gone to website quite yet.  I will try again tomorrow or next day.  I never had an issue with Medallion order process before. 

I collected my medallion at check-in in FLL for my Dec cruise on Sky.  Added about 30 seconds to the check-in process.  Seems like that is the simplest way to get it into my hands.  

Don

1 hour ago, alfieisgod said:

I collected my medallion at check-in in FLL for my Dec cruise on Sky.  Added about 30 seconds to the check-in process.  Seems like that is the simplest way to get it into my hands.  

Don

Since you are from Canada that would definitely be the easiest way. It's amazing that Princess still can't get it together to ship the Medallion to Canada.

• Like 1

As many others have reported, I cannot get the Medallion app to work and we sail in 3 weeks. I’ve also tried the website with no luck. I called Princess and got a ticket number, but no progress on the ticket. I know I can show up at the port and they will get it working for me, but I’m not sure exactly what I need to bring to get through security and get to the right people. Can anyone fill me in?

Edited by WinterCruiseLover

COMPLETELY SHOCKING NEWS!!!  Like others, I had my problems with the famous app!  I tried toooo many times and was never able to open DMW nor have I been able to add husband to our credit card.  Just had decided to get in the blue line with husband and hopefully could get our specialty dining reservation once onboard as I had no patience to call Princess.  An hour ago, we had a call from a Princess rep who called to help solve the credit card problem.  At first, I questioned the call--almost hung up as I had not called them.  Anyway---nice for both of us to be in the green line on Sunday when we board the DISCOVERY.  Thanks Princess!!!!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WinterCruiseLover said:

As many others have reported, I cannot get the Medallion app to work and we sail in 3 weeks. I’ve also tried the website with no luck. I called Princess and got a ticket number, but no progress on the ticket. I know I can show up at the port and they will get it working for me, but I’m not sure exactly what I need to bring to get through security and get to the right people. Can anyone fill me in?

Bring all necessary paperwork-passport, vaccination card and paperwork for the covid test.   At least in LA in January, the blue line passengers seemed to move faster since so few of them and you will probably go there before security.   

8 minutes ago, WinterCruiseLover said:

As many others have reported, I cannot get the Medallion app to work. I’ve tried the website too with no luck. I called Princess and got a ticket number, but no progress in the ticket. I know I can show up at the port and they will get it working for me, but I’m not sure exactly what I need to bring to get through security and get to the right people. Can anyone fill me in?

Passport.

Proof of vaccinations.

Proof of required Covid test.

Credit card.

NTH - Printout of your Travel Summary.

• Thanks 1

Just now, AVCruzers said:

Bring all necessary paperwork-passport, vaccination card and paperwork for the covid test.   At least in LA in January, the blue line passengers seemed to move faster since so few of them and you will probably go there before security.   

I understand the documents you listed, but shouldn’t I also have something that proves I am booked on this cruise?

1 minute ago, WinterCruiseLover said:

I understand the documents you listed, but shouldn’t I also have something that proves I am booked on this cruise?

Your booking will be in their computers at the port terminal.  It would help to know your cabin number but that goes without saying I suppose.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Thrak said:

Since you are from Canada that would definitely be the easiest way. It's amazing that Princess still can't get it together to ship the Medallion to Canada.

I am actually I am surprised that they mail them in the US. Seems like an added unnecessary expense. Plus I wonder if any get lost on the way to the passenger or on the way with the passenger to the cruise port. In the olden days we didn't get our cruise card in the mail. Maybe everybody could just pick them up at check-in. 

On 4/4/2022 at 8:08 AM, cltnccruisers said:

The only other cruise app I have used is Celebrity pre-covid.  It was not nearly as ambitious as Princess so there was less to fail.  The issues I ran into were annoying but not showstoppers.  I was either able to figure them out myself or found help on these boards.

Thank you for your feedback on Celebrity app. I am sailing them Mar 2023, maybe the app will be in perfect working order.  That is a good goal to set

9 hours ago, WinterCruiseLover said:

Bring your passport, credit card, negative covid test, vax card.  The Princess reps at the port will get you up and running and provide you with a medallion to use onboard the ship. On my last cruise out of LA,  the couple who were traveling with us didn't have everything completed in the app;  it took them ten minutes to get squared away and we were all on the ship.

Edited by AF-1

21 hours ago, atexsix said:

I hear what you're saying.  The medallion app program was tested in the corporate offices.  Princess controlled the environment, they had mockup of the ships, and mockup of cabins, medallion screens.  As you can guess, these trials were controlled, there was not enough real-world testing, like actually onboard a ship, using wifi in Sweeden, or New Zealand.  Real world testing would have been a much better option.  Enjoy your cruise.  Me personally, I have been on three medallion cruises and have not had one issue.  Pre cruise set up of medallion, onboard the ship was just about perfect.  Cheers

• Thanks 1