The Daily for Monday Jun 28, 2021

richwmn

7 minutes ago, superoma said:

Good Morning all.

Interesting about insurance Day. Got the following from my travel insurance - Canadian and we usually only get out of country health coverage. So we wait! And I can’t get rid of the underlining so sorry.

Most travel insurance plans are written and provide coverage, based on Government TRAVEL ADVISORIES and not around border restrictions. 

*It's very important to understand the difference between travel advisories and border restrictions when purchasing any travel medical policy - they are NOT the same thing. 

Please remember to review the advisories before any trip or insurance purchase.  The travel advisories can be found at: https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/advisories.

Example: Cruise lines are starting to set sail out of the USA; however, there's still a current Government travel advisory (June 21, 2021) stating that you should avoid ALL CRUISE SHIP TRAVEL. This means that most of your travel insurance plans will not cover you while you cruise at this time.

That’s a very good reminder.

I have been trying to tell a few people that and they have been oblivious to the warning.

• Like 10

Good morning Rich and fellow Daily-ites. Thank you for the Daily, prayers and Cheers, recipes, and cartoons. 

My goodness we had a gully washer last night. We are due rain over the next week and I prayed this morning to move some rain to our northwest neighbors. 

I loved Paul Bunyan stories. 

image.png.33fb8f86188ce2bae1f075f33b65db56.png

I have been working on the wax accident since 6:30 this morning with ice blocks and credit card and it's not coming up very well on the flagstone. I sent our Mason a text and he's going to come by today to help. I'm sick over it..

Going tonight with friends for prime rib downtown. I don't believe I would care for the fried pickle sandwich. 

Wishing you a wonderful week. Send a card to a friend. Prayers and Cheers. 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and thanks for the update.

It’s another hot and humid sunny day here and more heat tomorrow.

It’s lovely sunny morning in Juneau on the webcam, soon we will see ships there🎉

Many happy memories of Half Moon Cay, it’s hard to believe how many years it has been there. 
        Blessings and prayers to all on lists.

Stay 😎 

• Like 16

👍Thank you Rich @richwmnfor The Daily and to Roy @rafinmd for the Care and Celebration Lists.

During our time in Singapore, the original Raffles was being renovated ( ☂️rainy day, too) but around the corner was their gift shop and bar so we checked the $$ Singapore Sling off the Bucket List.🍹

When I think of Teddy Roosevelt  'Rough Riders' comes to mind besides the photo of him in the Commissioner's office on Blue Bloods, lol!😉

Half Moon Cay always a favorite..need to take a tender off early to get a good shady spot.😎

Prayers to all in need especially those in OR, WA and BC.🙏

Katie

FB_IMG_1624886184816.jpg

• Like 19

54 minutes ago, Sir PMP said:

When you go to Raffles don't forget to eat the peanuts on the counter..

Another tip for Raffles, after you have visited the Long Bar for the obligatory Singapore Sling and a few peanuts, you should visit the Scotch Bar a short distance away in Raffles.  They have one of the finest selections of single malts in the world.  They will start a scotch passport for you, and keep track of which ones you have tried and what you thought of them.  It's going to take a lot of trips to Singapore before you try them all as the selection is quite large.  

• Like 16

32 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I have been working on the wax accident since 6:30 this morning with ice blocks and credit card and it's not coming up very well on the flagstone. I sent our Mason a text and he's going to come by today to help. I'm sick over it..

I bet your mason has a solution.  At least, I hope so 🤞 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!

Today is hopefully our last scorcher day (Roy @rafinmd your blowtorch reference is perfect).  The good news is we should get down to the high 70's/low 80's in a few days.  Sleeping on the couch last night wasn't as comfortable as our bed, but being cooler made it worth it. Our upstairs got up to 94 degrees, the downstairs wasn't a lot cooler but I'm able to put the fan closer to me there.

We're well aware of the importance of insurance.  DH's first job out of college was as auditor for an insurance company.  Thankful we've had USAA for over 40 years, they've been wonderful. Also between Medicare and Tricare we have very, very few medical bills and know how fortunate we are.

Other than my ears, no body piercing for me, and love Paul Bunyan and the great quote.  Will pass on the meal, pickles are one thing I really don't like. I'm sure it will be take-out tonight, what I don't know.

We've been to HMC 3 times. For not being a beach person, I enjoyed it every time.   The first time there we booked the last cabana down the beach, it was fun to do once but wouldn't do it again most likely.  The 2nd time we did the horseback riding -- what a hoot!  I would do that again in a heartbeat. The most fun was in the water.  No photos of that, I was too busy hanging on! The last time there our roll call had the Grand Oasis.  Great friends, fun and memories!

1545763556_horseHMC.jpg.ae5898345b548e4555bf87df3c92fbf6.jpg

1361270508_HMCbar.jpg.21ba142e60ecb31b53357d6d665dc2c7.jpg

1784798510_GrandOasis.jpg.87bc4b3f92ddd9999d3748c53ed2c8c3.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from a cloudy and cooler central Texas.  Hoping all the PNW and western Canada Dailyites have found a way to stay cool during the heatwave.

I remember Paul Bunyan and Babe stories from my very younger days.  Insurance is a necessary evil, that hopefully we don't have to deal with very often.  The only piercings I have are my ears as clip earrings hurt my ears.

I like the quote which is so true.

@kazu As usual, your memes are great.  I really like the one about intelligence and educations.  When I worked at du Pont, I worked with several engineers who had PhDs, and I swear when they handed out that degree, the took aways their common sense.

@Crazy For Cats  Love the dog baseball game meme.

I'll pass on the meal suggestion.  Now, if it was an oyster po-boy, I'd be at the head of the line. 

We've had a Singapore Sling in the Long Bar at Raffles, and once we had dinner at their courtyard restuarant.  I remember enjoying the drink even though it had gin in it.

IMG_1717.thumb.JPG.313c009df3d39308f4a4f37481443d92.JPG

IMG_1724.thumb.JPG.c2dd01b403cd3a552c0379e960f80d72.JPG

IMG_1721.jpg.59d60e8277863c3a622c89c3ae47025a.jpg

@mamaofami  Good news that Sam's CT scan showed the edema to be down.  Hopefully, as it continures to go down, his improvement will be better.

@Seasick Sailor Joy, hope your mason will have an easy solution to your wax problem.

We have been to Half Moon Cay several times, but the visits were before the cabanas and the bar with the lound music.  They were also before digital pictures.  We were supposed to have a day there in 2017 at the end of the Prinsendam TA, but it was too windy and rough for her to anchor, so Nieuw Amsterdam had the place to itself.  Here are a few pictures of the island taken from the Prinsendam.

DSC02930.thumb.JPG.542ce26460e64b44f6d53c6aaaf49a93.JPG

DSC02931.thumb.JPG.28d2053b10fbb3ecb5eae8404739c82b.JPG

DSC02933.thumb.JPG.736f31316398253c182e9497f32b80fb.JPG

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 26

Well we did it.  We survived day two and the worst night of the heat wave, one more day of intense heat left, and it's going to be the worst of all with predicted 110-115 temperatures for the eastern Seattle suburbs.  Yesterday the heat kept setting off fire alarms, and the fire department showed up for the first one, then disconnected the mechanism that would summon them for additional calls.  Community maintenance was supposed to have fire watch in place instead. HA!  I have yet to see one.  So now I'm reduced to one fan because the other is needed to fan the fire alarm, how crazy is that!

There are a couple of fibs that Seattle natives like to tell for some reason.  That it never gets hot and it never snows, because year after year it does both.  If you are on the receiving end of one of these little fibs, take it with a grain of salt.

Thanks to all the listers.  Thoughts and prayers to those that need them.

@dfish with my stroke related deficits the ingredients of those sandwiches would be all over the place.  But I've always found sandwich eating to be a challenge even before that, maybe there's a certain art to it.  Or maybe it's my midwest upbringing, I LIVE for comfort food, give me a plate of pot roast and mashed potatoes any day!!

@rafinmd blowtorch is a great name for this heat wave

Hottest temperature in Portland recorded history set yesterday: 112

Hottest temperature in Seattle recorded history set yesterday: 104

Hottest temperature in all of Canadian recorded history set yesterday: 46.1

All are expected to be broken again today.

So the agenda for today is to try and get some work done and crossing my fingers the smoke alarm doesn't go off, toying with the idea of calling maintenance, there are 4,000 smoke alarms in this complex, why is mine the one that's defective?

Have a great Monday everybody!

Edited by atexsix
  • Like 26

Good morning from sunny Washington State.  We walked for half an hour this morning while it was still comfortable out.  I have read that only a small percentage of homes in the Seattle area have air conditioning.  We have used a heat pump for many years; not so much for A/C, but because it is much more efficient in using electricity for heating in the winter.  Don't get me started on piercings.  I cannot imagine why an otherwise intelligent person would do that to their face.  I can accept male earrings, but never wanted to wear one.  Years ago, when we lived in California the custom was for gay men to wear a single earring in their right ear while a straight person wore one in their left.  Not sure if that is how it is done in this century.

• Like 18

Tulsa speaks to Baltimore

"Don't give me any of that old rot

That without humidity, hot is not hot.

Really the difference isn't so wide

How would you rather be - steamed or fried?"

From the Saturday Evening Post of many, many years ago - 1940's maybe?

Anyway, I feel for all of you in the PNW..... I just can not imagine how miserable it is. I do remember how miserable I used to be Baltimore summers and that was when I was a lot younger and could take the heat better. Hope it breaks soon for you.

As usual, Durango is out of sync with the national weather. We are fairly cool with highs in the high 70's... was mid 40s this morning when I walked. It will get hot again and I do not have ac so I am not looking forward to it.

Strange combination of days today. Insurance is so important and varies so widely. I too worked for an insurance company at one time. Speak about one thing in my life I did not want to do forever.  My long-term health care policy cost is about to go up.... way up. I need to do some reviewing since they have given me some options other than just continuing on the the new premium. One more thing to worry with this summer. As to piercings.... I am in the no piercing group, not even the ears. I used to tell my students (when asked) to think twice as it was hard enough to get a job at that time without giving themselves any handicap of facial piercings. Of course now times have changed.

Susan

• Like 20

Good morning everyone and Happy Monday.  This will just be a quick post of pictures as I have a busy day today and need to get going.  I wanted to post some pictures of Half Moon Cay.  We have been there many times but will post pictures of our most recent time there, January 5, 2015 on the Nieuw Amsterdam.  It was a Monday!

image.thumb.jpeg.0bd05e60d153ab14b107803ce17d5e57.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.947b74fccf0df08c8c39a54a0ac7ea1d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4f3487403ed7a4538e7daebe76723a7c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0bc54eea2f516c9b8fff949a3438f1f4.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.adb33b233f46d43832f23023dd56eecc.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.28ebf2d818c0914d2d76fe422b27b405.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.65d715dfa3608a5097e4821955656c79.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.89741456d1002525f538fe2eaba0b7bf.jpeg

Have a great day!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

My pictures are the same as everyone's, but no one has posted the chickens of HMC!

P1080997.thumb.JPG.7e85f09efd6369a2080f5e01516bf679.JPG

Happy Hot Monday!  I could not bring myself to go to exercise this morning, but Pat headed out early for golf.  I don't know if they'll make it through the game.  Even Butchart's is closed for a few days, which they never do unless there's a pandemic!  Lytton, BC set a record yesterday for heat in all of Canada, ever.  The portable a/c unit stopped working yesterday for a few hours and neither of us could get it going again.  When DD finally came up she figured it all out, so we had a fairly cool night with that and fans going.

Our very unhappy neighbour, Ruth, is doing her prep today for her colon cancer surgery tomorrow.  She (and I) believe heat and hate are anagrams...  Her son arrived yesterday to help look after her husband while she's in the hospital and they came around in the afternoon to use our barbecue as theirs gave up the ghost.  Fortunately it was hot as Pat had been cooking chicken, so they cooked their dinner in our courtyard.  I discovered that my hose nozzle has a "mist" setting, and I have been occasionally misting the plants and the air.  It really makes a difference.

Planning to book another cruise today!

• Like 26

Good morning, all! As we start planning travel again, insurance awareness is a big topic! I always loved the stories of Paul Bunyan and Babe the blue ox. The quote is great! I may pass on the fried pickle po’ boys, though. Strangely, although we’re 4* nearing 5* with HAL, we’ve never been to Half Moon Cay. I really want to go,there, but somehow the itineraries we like never include it.

Like Linda, I have however had a Singapore Sling while sitting at the Long Bar at Raffle’s Hotel in Singapore. It was a very important experience while cruising Asia on the Volendam. We went on our own,  or on a tour, so,we could stay as long as we liked.

We delivered DD safely to Salt Spring, and spent the night there. She needs to isolate completely and takes it seriously. Although we’re both fully vaccinated now, if we’re there she’s restricted to where she goes in the house and has to wear a mask indoors except in her room, so we’ve headed back to the mainland. As happy as she is to see us, I also picked up that she was looking forward to some alone time in her cottage in the trees. We will be following up on reporting the quarantine hotel,to,the right people. It was worse than she said, and they follow very few of their requirements. To be fair, there’s a lot going on, or not going on, that couldn’t happen if the health authorities did any kind of regular inspections. At the very least, they can’t hide that the quarantine guests are in rooms scattered throughout the hotel and not in a separate section, and that their rooms are not supplied with hand sanitizer, surface spray, or wipes as is required.

So far, we’re surviving the heatwave. Today is supposed to be the hottest, somspending part of it on ferries again is a good thing! All the best to my fellow Dailyites in BC/ PNW!

And of course, Happy Monday! Stay cool, stay safe, and dream of a cold drink on a BHB.

FDC2E5A5-D99B-4442-9728-3117F4208CEE.thumb.jpeg.f5a615ab2bf2e8cdf31251f6e7745756.jpeg

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 23

I've never been to HMC. It was in the itinerary for a Caribbean cruise in 2020 (January, while they were still taking place) but we never got there, because of high seas. That day, however, we had a diversion for a medical evacuation, to rendezvous with a helicopter coming from the Bahamas to take a patient to the Turks & Caicos.

277193820_HALmedicalevacuationnearGrandTurk.thumb.jpg.6ee0b077a6eb7c809d38531e0be6c6ec.jpg

Now, the medical resources of the Turks & Caicos are not extensive. Grand Turk has a 10-bed hospital and the big hospital, at Providenciales, has 20 beds. The entire medical system is run by a Canadian company and most of the doctors are Canadian or British. The goal for the helicopter was to get the patient to shore for transfer to Miami.

Someone else can have my share of the fried pickles.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

The morning is fast becoming afternoon, so hello all!

The days are interesting. I don't know where we would be without our medical and auto insurance (bankrupt probably).  Early on in my cruising I did not buy travel insurance.  Then in August 2005 we sailed out of New Orleans. We were early on board and were able to park in the lot on the dock so we waved to our car as we left.  It was a great cruise.  Then two weeks later, along came Katrina.  Our car would have been gone and we would have found ourselves coming home from Galveston.  That was a good lesson.  I remember Paul Bunyan from my elementary school days.  I am not a fan of body piercing although I do have my ears pierced.  I have 3 on each side, about as wild and crazy as I've ever gotten.

Love fried pickles, but in a sandwich? Really?  I have never had a Singapore Sling, maybe I need to try one.  The wine is a little out of my price league.

I have been to Half Moon Cay many times.  My DH is not a beach person, but I have gotten him off the ship and onto Half Moon a few times.  Last two times we rented a cabana and that was quite nice.

Sending prayers to all on our list 🙏. My friend who had a liver transplant was not doing well at all, but the last few days he seems to have turned a corner for the better, so hoping for good things.  Yesterday as we drove home from Branson we were stopped on the highway for over an hour.  There was an accident, a bad one.  A man pulling a travel trailer was hit by a semi tanker truck.  The truck ended up smashing all the way through the trailer sideways with the tractor literally inside the trailer. Only the travel trailer driver was seriously injured and taken to the hospital.  The truck driver and other drivers that were partly impacted by the accident were alright (there was a lot of debris from the travel trailer thrown around.)  We were amazed the gentleman was just injured and not killed. 🙏🙏  And here's to all the celebrations, some wine will be lifted up. 🍷

Take care all, (remember that Covid is still around us, precautions are still needed even for the vaccinated).

St Louis Sal

IMGP1349.JPG

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Good morning all. Thanks Rich and I’m grateful for all the Dailyites. I have lived Paul Bunyan since I first heard the stories of Babe the blue ox. Only piercing is my ears. 
It’s already 96 outside at 10 this morning. I went out early and sprayed with the backpack sprayer. It’s amazing how a little rain and this horrible heat encourage the growth of weeds. 
Ive been to half moon but didn’t get off. Just enjoyed the view and quiet time on the ship. To the rest of my PNW Dailyites please be careful of the heat. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

@Horizon chaser 1957, I think you definitely should report that quarantine hotel.  I hope your DD took  pictures!  But, hopefully all that will be over soon. As we all get vaccinated, things should be safer.   I am longing for the day we can travel.   My DD is planning to come out here from Gander in September.  I wonder what the requirements are going to be for her.  

• Like 15

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Interesting days. Insurance of many kinds (health, auto, home, travel) is a must have. The only body piercing I have is my ears; ones of my former co-workers had a tongue piercing (ewww). 

Good quote.

I'll say no to the meal. I do like the drink and wine.

I have not been to today's port. Thanks for the pictures.

Another hot and humid day here(currently 92°), although not as bad as the PNW. I mowed the lawn earlier as most of the yard was in shade. It's taken a while to cool down and I've been chugging Gatorade and water. Of course I missed the call from the PCP to schedule a pre-op exam.

PA's mask mandate ended today. I went to the post office this morning and they had a sign still requiring them. I will continue to wear one in any crowded indoor situation.

@StLouisCruisers Sorry you lost your sunglasses. Congrats to the Tigers, and DGS.

@mamaofami Great news that the edema is down on Sam's CT scan. Praying for continued improvement.

@Seasick Sailor So sorry about the wax incident. Hopefully the mason knows how to fix things.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe from the heat!

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon, thanks for the Daily and our entertainment and education each day. 

As always, prayers for those with a need, and cheers to those with a cause.

Much sympathy to those dealing with the extreme temps. Stay safe and hydrated, please.

We've been to HMC twice, and look forward to more visits to come. It is a favorite place for two who are not exactly beach bunnies.

A.thumb.JPG.ab31f63d52d5994e66d1c2161b6751cd.JPG

B.thumb.JPG.f4efb34a7b6f91bf0dc71b67b51e7164.JPG

Bonefish Lagoon

C.thumb.JPG.1123cac7948935056fa4e63a44c1a365.JPG

Oosterdam and Eurodam

D.thumb.JPG.2000ce4a521d0863410244985154c6c3.JPG

Everyone stay safe and healthy and have a great week!

Lori & George

• Like 21

Good Morning from toasty Washington state!  I haven't been on much the past 2 weeks, so just catching up.  It was 109-112 yesterday, we live in Eastern Washington and are used to warm summers but this heat has been bad as it is not cooling off at night and was hitting 90 at 8:30am today.  I have been running the swamp cooler and fans in the barn until midnight to keep the critters comfortable.  

Keeping sprinklers going in the chicken area to keep it a bit cooler, the ducks are loving the puddles!

I love fried pickles but have never thought about putting them in a po'boy..........will have to think about this when it is cooler!  It has made me crave a shrimp bo'boy for dinner, but not sure I want to go to the store in this heat!

Take care those of you affected by this heat, be sure to check on your neighbors!

Denise

• Like 13