Newbie Questions: Air Fare, Wine and Caviar

TV Dad

3 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

"Sthrn" is correct in that you need to consider the cost of included  hotel and transfers because you lose them when you make your own arrangements.   We almost always use miles so we take the credit.  

I do not believe you loose your concierge level hotel night if you book your own air. Am I wrong?

Transfer from airport to RSSC hotel on day before departure, maybe. But can't you purchase this?

1 minute ago, Dwtlion said:

I do not believe you loose your concierge level hotel night if you book your own air. Am I wrong?

Transfer from airport to RSSC hotel on day before departure, maybe. But can't you purchase this?

Correct you can keep the hotel if you choose not to use Regent Air.   You still get the transfer to the ship the morning of departure.   No transfer to the hotel from the airport or back to the airport after the cruise though.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Snore42 said:

Correct you can keep the hotel if you choose not to use Regent Air.   You still get the transfer to the ship the morning of departure.   No transfer to the hotel from the airport or back to the airport after the cruise though.  

You may be right on the free concierge hotel room.  I had a free 3 day pre cruise package and it may have been I couldn't add it on.

You are correct on the transfers you need to purchase the transfers to and from the airport.   Regent actually says the credit "savings" is if you make your own flight and transfers.  The Regent transfer to the airport from the ship cost us $119 each I think.

I would just say if you make your own flight arrangements get exact specifics on what is and isn't included.

Sorry for the confusion.

Edited by RetiredandTravel
typo

5 hours ago, Pcardad said:

Regent always books coach domestically. If you want First Class, there is an upcharge. I buy my own airfare in the US and let Regent do it if I am going outside.

To avoid confusion, there is no Business Class in the USA - only Coach and First.

American has a Business Class section from a few cities in a 3 class air plane.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

American has a Business Class section from a few cities in a 3 class air plane.

Correct - we have, with Covid, seen a few widebodies pressed into Domestic service and those have a 3rd class. Perhaps I should have said that, generally speaking, the vast majority of domestic flights are 2 class planes with certain exceptions brought about by fleet re-positioning due to Covid-19...but that just seems like too much work to type out here and it's happy hour.

If your departure and return is in the USA, the air credit should be $300.. but it is a coach credit. 
if you want business class or first, you can take the credit and buy your own tickets. I don’t know from where to where you are going.  That is important for your decision. 
Sorry about my caviar response… I forgot the big Sunday brunch at sea is only on Explorer and Splendor. 
enjoy!

sheila

2 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

You may be right on the free concierge hotel room.  I had a free 3 day pre cruise package and it may have been I couldn't add it on.

You are correct on the transfers you need to purchase the transfers to and from the airport.   Regent actually says the credit "savings" is if you make your own flight and transfers.  The Regent transfer to the airport from the ship cost us $119 each I think.

I would just say if you make your own flight arrangements get exact specifics on what is and isn't included.

Sorry for the confusion.

Almost always less expensive to book your own transfers or take a taxi. Just like Regent hotels where you pay per person paid Regrnt transfers are exorbitant and about double or more compared to s as my private transfer.  

4 hours ago, flossie009 said:

For clarity: 

• Caviar & champagne is available during breakfast service in both Compass Rose & La Veranda on all Regent ships every Sunday.
  • The gastronomic extravaganza that is "Sunday Brunch" is only on Splendor & Explorer and only when Sunday is a sea day - usually a maximum of one event per cruise even if there are two Sundays that fall on sea days.

flossie009, we will be on Splendor for 22 days, what happens if all the Sundays are in port?  Do they still offer the Sunday Brunch? Or will we be out of luck? 

One caveat to Snore42's #27 posting:  

We are trying (2nd attempt) to be at Tokyo mid-April 2022 for a Mariner cruise to San Francisco.  The initial somewhat similar 2021 booking on Explorer was canceled due to COVID.  

On both bookings, have taken the air credit utilizing FF miles.  Considerable savings apply as has been noted in numerous previous postings when travel involves the Far East.  Both situations also involve(d) doing a 3-day "Vibrant" pre-stay at Tokyo before boarding.  We have retained a Concierge level to be at Regent's assigned hotel.  On advice from our TA, scheduled our arrival at Tokyo to be on the first day of that three-day period.  Having done these before (not at Tokyo), that first day is, basically, devoted to guests arriving at various times from around the planet and getting to the hotel.  The organized events start on the morning of Day 2.  

Our TA advises we WILL be met at the arrival airport (close-in Haneda) early on Day 1 by a Regent representative for an included transport to the hotel.  We will ALSO be transported--again at no additional cost--from that hotel to the Mariner for boarding.  This is due to participation in that Pre-stay event. 

We will be responsible for arranging transportation from the San Francisco arrival port to the airport.     

The bottom line remains:  Check every aspect of one's itinerary out, then double-check as needed with a trusted TA who has experience dealing with-and being on-Regent ships.  Double check again directly with Regent for triple verification.    

There are enough opportunities for "known unknowns" [Rumsfeld's quip] such as airline schedule disruptions, civil unrest, natural disasters such as weather, earthquakes, and volcano eruptions (Iceland several years ago come to mind) to mess with the best-laid plans and result in angst.  All have happened to us.  There are also "unknown unknowns" [another Rumsfeld bromide].  We strive to minimize the known unknowns by asking that next question.  

GOARMY!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pcardad said:

Correct - we have, with Covid, seen a few widebodies pressed into Domestic service and those have a 3rd class. Perhaps I should have said that, generally speaking, the vast majority of domestic flights are 2 class planes with certain exceptions brought about by fleet re-positioning due to Covid-19...but that just seems like too much work to type out here and it's happy hour.

JetBlue Mint is business class that's available on certain routes. There's no first class service, but the Mint suites on the new service to London look just as nice as we've seen in first class on other airlines while walking to our Regent provided business class seats. And not all international flights we've been on had first class seats. In fact, one connecting flight from Vienna to Madrid on our way back to Miami, had no business class, but gave us all the perks, with our own check-in line, priority boarding, and all 3 seats in the second row for the 2 of us.

There were some Regent cruises to Alaska that were advertised as having first class airfare included from the US. I don't know if any of those actually cruised, or will be cruising.

Our first cruise on Regent was from Vancouver to Alaska in 2018. The flight Regent gave us was from FLL to ATL, with a connecting flight to Vancouver. We had only 45 minutes to get from our first flight to our second flight. I would never have booked that, especially at ATL, and was very apprehensive until we boarded. I mentioned it to our flight attendant and she assured us it would be OK. The entire flight crew would be accompanying us to Vancouver and they would not be leaving without us. I guess Regent knew what they were doing when they booked that flight, and we've trusted them since that with our flights. We do, however, pay for the flight deviation, since we don't want to wait any longer than we need to before we know what our flights we'll be on.

15 hours ago, Boats07 said:

flossie009, we will be on Splendor for 22 days, what happens if all the Sundays are in port?  Do they still offer the Sunday Brunch?

Unlikely - I have never heard of the special Brunch being on any other day except Sunday and certainly not when in port.

However, there are other good breakfast & lunch venues on Splendor with plenty of delicious choices.

You have the added advantage on both Splendor & Explorer that there is a lunch menu available in both Prime 7 & Chartreuse. Both restaurants open on sea days; only one on port days (alternating between the two restaurants) - no reservations required for lunch.

If you are in a suitable port for the evening and the weather is appropriate you might be treated to an evening deck BBQ, with an extensive food selection, & dance party.

Obviously all this information is based on Regent experiences pre covid shutdown, so offerings may be different when the re-start finally occurs  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

If you are in a suitable port for the evening and the weather is appropriate you might be treated to an evening deck BBQ, with an extensive food selection, & dance party.  

Flossie - We REALLY like the evening "cookouts" and "deck parties" and are hoping/looking forward to those on our holiday cruise through the Panama Canal in December.  It's so relaxing and so much fun to have the band out on deck and everyone dancing and chatting by the pool under the stars.  It really highlights the "small community" feeling/vibe that you can have on the smaller Regent ships.  😜

"Fingers Crossed"!  Regards

• Like 1

Re the domestic economy vs business/first on Regent Air. My experience has been that, if I take the  Regent Air for an international flight, I wind up getting business or first class on the domestic segment. Regent doesn't promise this, but it always seems to happen.  If, however, it is solely domestic, I usually do my own air, as I can do better than the credit amount, particularly because I fly from a non-gateway airport.

14 minutes ago, wishIweretravelling said:

Re the domestic economy vs business/first on Regent Air. My experience has been that, if I take the  Regent Air for an international flight, I wind up getting business or first class on the domestic segment. Regent doesn't promise this, but it always seems to happen.  If, however, it is solely domestic, I usually do my own air, as I can do better than the credit amount, particularly because I fly from a non-gateway airport.

This is good information.  The key here is simply "Know what the rules are to the game".  If you do, then you can set the most important part of any cruise vacation, "Your Realistic Expectations".  If you do for example, Europe from the US; you book Regent Air; you may or may not get upgraded on the Domestic Segments per your post.  Assume you will not and be surprised if you do.  You may or may not have multiple flights and connections out of your control.  If you get a direct flight from a US hub, it would be then exceed your expectations.  

Whether about Air fare, buffets, Caviar, Wines, Excursions or any other aspect of Regent or other Luxury Brand.  Know the rules, manage your expectations, ask questions and be flexible.  No cruise has ever gone to plan, gone perfect or did not have a few surprises.  Go with the flow it it happens and it will. Cruise well everyone.

1 minute ago, Sthrngary said:

This is good information.  The key here is simply "Know what the rules are to the game".  If you do, then you can set the most important part of any cruise vacation, "Your Realistic Expectations".  If you do for example, Europe from the US; you book Regent Air; you may or may not get upgraded on the Domestic Segments per your post.  Assume you will not and be surprised if you do.  You may or may not have multiple flights and connections out of your control.  If you get a direct flight from a US hub, it would be then exceed your expectations.  

Whether about Air fare, buffets, Caviar, Wines, Excursions or any other aspect of Regent or other Luxury Brand.  Know the rules, manage your expectations, ask questions and be flexible.  No cruise has ever gone to plan, gone perfect or did not have a few surprises.  Go with the flow it it happens and it will. Cruise well everyone.

Exactly!

Adding focus on something mentioned above: you can take the air deviation and pick your own flights, provided Regent has an agreement with the airline(s) in question. It does cost extra unless you are in the loyalty categories that provide it as a perk (which I am fortunate to be), but you are going to pay the deviation anyway if you take Regent Air and come in and/or depart other than the day of the cruise (or the day that your pre-cruise hotel starts, if you're in concierge or above or take the Regent hotel package).  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, wishIweretravelling said:

Exactly!

Adding focus on something mentioned above: you can take the air deviation and pick your own flights, provided Regent has an agreement with the airline(s) in question. It does cost extra unless you are in the loyalty categories that provide it as a perk (which I am fortunate to be), but you are going to pay the deviation anyway if you take Regent Air and come in and/or depart other than the day of the cruise (or the day that your pre-cruise hotel starts, if you're in concierge or above or take the Regent hotel package).  

One correction.  No requirement that Regent has an agreement with the airline in question.  Yes, likely with an agreement you may not have an upcharge however no agreement is necessary as Regent can and does purchases tickets on almost all airlines.

1 hour ago, rallydave said:

One correction.  No requirement that Regent has an agreement with the airline in question.  Yes, likely with an agreement you may not have an upcharge however no agreement is necessary as Regent can and does purchases tickets on almost all airlines.

We've deviated a few times, and never had an upcharge, despite choosing our flights.

I agree about deviation being essential--I've often wondered why Regent would not just extend their flight offerings to allow people to fly in the day before a cruise--paying for that privilege just seems wrong.  And if Regent did allow it, there would still be economies of scale because so many pax would do it.  

As for caviar, if caviar is a must for you, then Seabourn's your baby.  We had a guy come in and sit at the bar every night and have his standing order delivered there.  

Myself, I don't mind it when it's available, but I do not crave it.  And of course, it's served at the Seven Seas Society doo-dah, but first time cruisers, except on long cruises, don't get to attend that.

17 hours ago, GOARMY said:

On advice from our TA, scheduled our arrival at Tokyo to be on the first day of that three-day period.  Having done these before (not at Tokyo), that first day is, basically, devoted to guests arriving at various times from around the planet and getting to the hotel.  The organized events start on the morning of Day 2.  

Our TA advises we WILL be met at the arrival airport (close-in Haneda) early on Day 1 by a Regent representative for an included transport to the hotel.  We will ALSO be transported--again at no additional cost--from that hotel to the Mariner for boarding.  This is due to participation in that Pre-stay event. 

We will be responsible for arranging transportation from the San Francisco arrival port to the airport.     

We went to Tokyo a day early so I asked if the "free" concierge hotel room could be combined with the "free" 3 day pre cruise package and Regent said No.  In fairness their literature says packages cant be combined.  I asked Regent what they would charge for the additional night thinking we didn't want to change hotel rooms and they said $850.  We got the same room for $450 and emailed the Tokyo Hilton to stay in the same room, which we did.

I'm not sure if the transfer from Narita to the hotel was included because of the pre-cruise package, we arrived a day early and got a car.  The transfer to the ship from the hotel was included and as I mentioned we paid for the transfer to Narita from the ship.  The transfer to Narita was well executed by Regent and about the same cost as a private car.

20 hours ago, rallydave said:

Almost always less expensive to book your own transfers or take a taxi. Just like Regent hotels where you pay per person paid Regrnt transfers are exorbitant and about double or more compared to s as my private transfer.  

This generally has been our experience, the most egregious was in Dublin where Regent wanted $500 for a private car from he ship to the hotel.  I called the hotel and they sent a car (sedan) for $35, it was a 10-15 minute drive.   There is a convenience factor in Regent transportation to the airport, not having to find the car.

7 hours ago, wishIweretravelling said:

Re the domestic economy vs business/first on Regent Air. My experience has been that, if I take the  Regent Air for an international flight, I wind up getting business or first class on the domestic segment. ...

I was going to post this too.  Every time we have traveled internationally [from Honolulu] we always been given seats up-front.  That could be a product of:  1. Usually staying with one carrier throughout the journey.   2.  Some people view Hawaii as being 'Overseas' which is understandable or 3. Regent has pity for us Kama'ainas having to travel 36+ hours to get to the far continent. [and you know how I despise being pitied...]

Truthfully, after I've decided to spend ~$30K on a cruise, I'm all onboard to spend a few $K to fly comfortably.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Anyone have a copy (or know where to find one) of the brochure Regent gives you to order caviar in the room. I assumed that it would be available since Regent is such an exclusive and inclusive venue. Sunday brunch is about the last place that I would want caviar. Seems very picayune to have to pay retail for it on an expensive cruise. 

12 minutes ago, Eric Meyer said:

Anyone have a copy (or know where to find one) of the brochure Regent gives you to order caviar in the room. I assumed that it would be available since Regent is such an exclusive and inclusive venue. Sunday brunch is about the last place that I would want caviar. Seems very picayune to have to pay retail for it on an expensive cruise. 

No brochure or anything in writing. Simply ask you waiter bar tender pool attendant etc and the caviar will be there shortly. 

1 hour ago, rallydave said:

No brochure or anything in writing. Simply ask you waiter bar tender pool attendant etc and the caviar will be there shortly. 

Is this kind of under the table? When we were onboard last year when I asked the suite steward he gave us a caviar menu but the choices were high end and over $100.

3 minutes ago, Eric Meyer said:

Is this kind of under the table? When we were onboard last year when I asked the suite steward he gave us a caviar menu but the choices were high end and over $100.

I was strictly talking about the included caviar. Didn’t know there were other types you could pay for. 

don’t know what you are asking about under the table. We only get the included and anyone can get it anytime freely and openly. Several parties during last cruise for everyone. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rallydave said:

I was strictly talking about the included caviar. Didn’t know there were other types you could pay for. 

don’t know what you are asking about under the table. We only get the included and anyone can get it anytime freely and openly. Several parties during last cruise for everyone. 

I didn't mean anything shady, but Regent only offers complimentary caviar now at Sunday  brunch and I don't generally go for brunch. I like caviar (mostly lumpfish or capalin) as an app. I couldn't get it through room service, but sometimes other crew members will help you get things. I was advised that there were other wines available besides the ones listed as complimentary, for instance, but I wouldn't have known that without their help. I wasnt written down anywhere.