Boarding Day: Arrive early or late?

mapsd

We're doing the Rhine on Scenic, but guessing its similar for most carriers.

How big is the window of time for boarding/checking-in?

Any onboard activities prior to departure?

We're doing a few pre-days in Switzerland & wondering if we should maximize the final day on land before showing up in Basel to board?

On most river cruises you are welcome to drop off your luggage in the morning, and you can hang around the public areas of the ship and have lunch, but your cabin won't be ready until some time in the afternoon.

In your particular case, you should check with the cruise line directly to see if they will have any tours in Basel [is the ship staying overnight?] – otherwise this would be your only opportunity to see that city.  Because we were doing the AMA post-cruse extension we had a bus and walking tour that ended at the Basel Marktplatz where we were able to get bratwurst from street vendors – but I wouldn't trade that for time in Lucerne if you haven't exhausted its charms.

• Like 1

Mapsd you will receive your ship contacts with your final paperwork so contacting reception or CD should be quite straightforward. Whichever you decide to do make sure you arrive in plenty of time to unpack (unless your in a royal or owner’s suite) and orientate yourselves. The evening will most probably start with a presentation by your CD and then dinner. We’ve arrived at various different times and always been welcomed on board and if early enough had a wonderful lunch getting to know some of our fellow passengers and the crew. Have a wonderful time.

• Like 1

My first river cruising experience was at the tail end of the Icelandic volcano eruption in 2010. I was scheduled to fly to Brussels, and to be picked up by Uniworld and taken to the ship. Unfortunately, all my plans changed. My original flight to Frankfurt was cancelled; I won't go into details, I got on a later flight. However, I knew that flights within Europe wouldn't be flying, so I had checked into train information. I booked a train from Frankfurt to Antwerp via Brussels (where we were embarking) although I was told that I might not have a seat. Actually, I had a seat until Cologne where they kicked us (those without reserved seats) off the train and put us on buses to Brussels. From there train to Antwerp and taxi to the ship. I had been in contact with the ship to let them know, and they weren't at all worried when I arrived about 7 pm. I dumped my luggage, and went straight to the dining room.

I do note that we overniighted in Antwerp so I wasn't at all worried about the ship leaving. Generally, you have to be onboard about 4 or 5 pm. It isn't like an ocean cruise; they will take you whenever you arrive, although as noted, you won't get your cabin until some time in the afternoon.

I think it depends on personal preferences - some people like to board their ship and just relax, others prefer to be on the 'go'.

We like to squeeze every available minute of our time exploring. If we arrive early, we drop-off our luggage and then head out to see more sights. We board our ship in the afternoon with just enough time to get settled in our cabin (doesn't take us long), hear the welcome aboard presentation by the cruise director & enjoy dinner.

Edited by dogs4fun

We arrived at our Scenic cruise in Basel early afternoon.  (we had spent a couple days in Basel already).  I will avoid all risks with getting to our ship/boat, so I am an early person.

We were able to sit in the lounge with a refreshing drink and meet other cruisers that also arrived early.  Our cabin was ready earlier than expected and we were all set.

• Like 1

On our Rhine cruise, we had a tour that afternoon, so arrived about an hour before, dropped off the luggage, and were invited to enjoy lunch & have a drink before the tour. Got back just in time to change for the safety talk and dinner, then we "discovered" our ship. 

Our cruise for the Danube wants us on the ship no later than 5:00...we are on a pre-cruise with Avalon, so they will take our luggage ( glad now as we will be on the Pest side, and as far as we can see, the ship will be docked on the Buda side, and the bridge closest to walk over is closed), and all we will have is our day bags with our toys - camera, tablets etc.  We plan to tour as much as we can the day we board as the next day will be all on the water so we can relax then.

54 minutes ago, Daisi said:

Our cruise for the Danube wants us on the ship no later than 5:00...we are on a pre-cruise with Avalon, so they will take our luggage ( glad now as we will be on the Pest side, and as far as we can see, the ship will be docked on the Buda side, and the bridge closest to walk over is closed), and all we will have is our day bags with our toys - camera, tablets etc.  We plan to tour as much as we can the day we board as the next day will be all on the water so we can relax then.

Oh, lucky you, I am envious – I absolutely love Budapest! When are you going?

Interesting that your ship will dock on the Buda side of the river - I am assuming that this is due to the Chain Bridge closure? During our last two visits to Budapest, Avalon (as well as all the others that we could see) docked on the Pest side between Chain Bridge & Elisabeth Bridge (next to the pier from which the Legenda City Cruises depart). Our docking location was very convenient to Vörösmarty tér where there was a wonderful Christmas Market when we last visited – we could also catch the M1 metro (yellow) there.

Tram #2 is very convenient for tourists as it runs along the Danube on the Pest side (you can visit Parliament, Central Market Hall, etc.) and runs from Közvágóhíd to Jászai Mari Square.

Trams 19 & 41V run along the Danube on the Buda side much like #2 does on the Pest side – it links Batthyány tér with Gellért Hill (you can get off at with Gellért Hill if you want to visit Gallert Baths & afterwards you can visit Citadella). Both trams 19 & 41V connect with Batthyány Square, a station on the metro line 2 (red line).

Hope that you have a fantastic cruise!

Edited by dogs4fun
  • Like 1

We are possibly going in May, however I am hoping they release more dates for 2023, as I'm not overly comfortable going with the troubles still going on.  I want to enjoy our trip.  If they don't, we may switch it to the Grand France tour, and do the Danube later.

My TA told me that the ship docs across from the Parliament Buildings, I know things can change, but if they don't, then we won't have to worry about trying to take our luggage on the trams.  We will be getting the tram pass, as there is lots we wish to see. 

A good strategy is to arrive early, drop luggage and do your own tour (guided or not) until cocktails and dinner onboard.  Really don’t need time to orient yourself on the ship…it’s so small!  And nothing is happening onboard until cocktail hour.  In Amsterdam it’s very easy to travel around the city on your own.  In Budapest we arrived in the morning from our hotel, after several days of touring there, dropped off our luggage and met a private guide for a culinary tour.  This was a Tauck cruise and I recall that after dinner there was a surprise offer of a guided tour over the bridge to the Pest side and to some sites over there.  We had already done that so we stayed in but it was typical of the little surprises from Tauck

We're staying Zurich for our pre-nights and doing some day trips by rail.

Since Scenic is handling the transfer from our hotel to Basel, we may at their mercy for when we have to depart.  Hoping they have multiple options. 

We're hoping to explore Zurich in the AM, then catch the afternoon transfer, unless Basel has a lot to offer.

When we went on our Rhine cruise on Viking (Amsterdam to Basel), we boarded about noon. There were quite a few people already there who must have arrived on early flights. We were already in Amsterdam, having spent a few days there pre-cruise.  They provided a light lunch. While it was too early to get into our cabin, we had access to the public areas of the ship. We were docked on the outskirts and a shuttle bus was provided for those who wanted to go into central Amsterdam that afternoon.  I imagine most cruise lines do the same. 

• Like 2

We're booked for Viking Grand European starting in Amsterdam in Nov.  Staying a few days early at Amsterdam DoubleTree centraal station hotel, which is a 5 minute walk from cruise port.  Planning to check out of hotel around 11 am, walk to ship, drop off luggage, eat lunch, then go out exploring city, come back to check into room later & eat dinner...

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, NavyCruiser said:

We're booked for Viking Grand European starting in Amsterdam in Nov.  Staying a few days early at Amsterdam DoubleTree centraal station hotel, which is a 5 minute walk from cruise port.  Planning to check out of hotel around 11 am, walk to ship, drop off luggage, eat lunch, then go out exploring city, come back to check into room later & eat dinner...

It's a great location for walking, tram, & rail!

If you're a history buff, check out the Resistance Museum (never on the guided tours) & gives the Dutch people's perspective on the war/occupation.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

.. Staying a few days early at Amsterdam DoubleTree centraal station hotel, which is a 5 minute walk from cruise port.  Planning to check out of hotel around 11 am, walk to ship, drop off luggage, eat lunch, then go out exploring city, come back to check into room later & eat dinner...

Anne Franke House is a must.  Try to book with the 30 minute intro program (interesting &you get into the museum quicker as well)  

When I went, tickets are released 2 months in advance & sell out quickly.

If you want to book your visit in advance, those tickets get released at exactly NOON Amsterdam time. Set your alarm and log in right when it opens.
The morning time slots were filled within 10 minutes & the entire day was sold out in less than an hour.  The tickets for museum-entry only seem to stay available for a few weeks (but morning entry tickets sell out MUCH faster).

A short train ride to Haarlem for the Corrie Ten Boom museum is another great option. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mj_holiday said:

I second the Resistance Museum, makes you think about what would you do in similar situations.  Then do something really fun.

I'll add a 'third' to this suggestion. It shows the hard choices the Dutch were facing. Very sobering. 

• Like 1

The Rijksmuseum with the Dutch Masters and the Anne Frank House would be my must sees. I also encourage you to get the Anne Frank tickets online, as soon as possible. I don't think you can buy them in person.

https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/en

Take stroll through the Vondelpark which is near the museum.

https://www.annefrank.org/en/museum/

If you are a Van Gogh fan:

https://www.vangoghmuseum.nl/en

The Canal cruises are great, even if you are going to be on a River Boat for a week.

We also glad we visited The Resistance Museum. We love Amsterdam!

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, skinnylegs said:

The Canal cruises are great, even if you are going to be on a River Boat for a week.

I agree they are great, but check with your cruise, as our cruise with Avalon included one as part of the "included" tour.

Thanks for the Dutch Resistance Museum suggestion.  I'm staying at the Doubletree for 3 nights pre-cruise.  Embarkation morning I may check out at 10 or 10:30, drop off my bag at the ship, and then head to the museum. 

I've taken a canal cruise, but my Tauck December cruise includes an evening candlelight cruise after dinner with illuminated artwork and sculptures.  I'm looking forward to it.  

An interesting and unique visit is the Catholic schuilkerk (clandestine church), Ons' Lieve Heer op Solder (Our Lord in the Attic). The church was built on the top three floors of this canal house in 1663 when the Dutch Reformed Church prohibited the celebration of Catholic mass. The museum is only a five minute walk from Centraal Station or Dam Square. An audio guide is included with the price of admission. http://opsolder.nl/en/museum-our-lord-in-the-attic/

Edited by dogs4fun