With the revised dress codes for dinner.

Longboysfan

On 7/10/2021 at 12:24 PM, PTC DAWG said:

Carry on size bag worked for me on the 12 day Southern Caribbean in Sept 19.

Wow!  I'm impressed .... and more than a little jealous that I can't manage that! 😊

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/10/2021 at 12:24 PM, PTC DAWG said:

Carry on size bag worked for me on the 12 day Southern Caribbean in Sept 19.

You must have packing down to a science.  I admire you!  Do you roll your clothes tightly or fold?  I am going to try rolling on our April 2022 TA.  Our cruises are mainly 12 - 14 days. DH has a 25" and I have also have a 25" , plus we share a 21" roll on bag.  Believe it or not, that is downsizing for us.

On 7/11/2021 at 6:53 PM, patty1955 said:

Once I realized that nobody else noticed what I was wearing, my luggage got much lighter.

Interesting statement. At what point did you decide that nobody else noticed?  Were you looking for that?  Personally I don't dress for how it makes others think, but for how it makes me feel. 

Phil 

• Like 1

On 7/11/2021 at 7:07 PM, Reel Love said:

Wow!  I'm impressed .... and more than a little jealous that I can't manage that! 😊

I see this on many roll calls I've been on when close into the cruise it becomes a competition to see who packs lightest. My thoughts on such posts are "good for you, but I'm quite happy with the way I pack". There's no right or wrong. Just do what you feel comfortable with. Nobody is going to die if they happen to overpack!

Phil 

• Like 3

We still enjoy dressing for dinner.  No longer evening gowns or tux- but still attire we would wear to a formal wedding- cocktail attire for me and a suit and tie for my DH on Chic nights- other nights just neat attire. Slacks and button down shirt for him- with drivers- me slacks and top or a more casual dress .

We need to celebrate !  I want to feel like every night is new years eve!  Especially now!

• Like 3

On a recent cruise we were seated with 3 other couples for fixed dinner time.  I couldn't help but notice that one of the women wore the exact same outfit for every dinner. 

I like to fill up my big suitcase and wear dresses that I don't get to wear at home.  Especially after this pandemic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Longwood Lady said:

On a recent cruise we were seated with 3 other couples for fixed dinner time.  I couldn't help but notice that one of the women wore the exact same outfit for every dinner. 

I like to fill up my big suitcase and wear dresses that I don't get to wear at home.  Especially after this pandemic.

We have also been tablemates with the “one or two outfits for a two week+ cruise”.  To each his/her own, but super boring to me.

It always makes me laugh when I see the competition among friends and family to be the best minimalist packer.  I’m super efficient and a seasoned planner, so I could definitely be a contender:). But why?  I love dressing up in clothes I don’t get a chance to wear at home.  Like you said, the pandemic has made it even more appealing!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was on the 7/24 Edge sailing, on Chic nights there was a surprising number of folks in tuxes yet the MDR hosts were letting in folks with hats (including cowboys hats), shorts and flip flops.  Those who are on "Team dress code enforcement" may not want to cruise at the moment.

• Haha 1

Well, even if I thought someone might notice that I was wearing the same dress every night (only for about two hours) I work under the “you’ll never see these people again” philosophy.  Back when guys wore tuxes for formal night, it was the same tux each occasion.

I bring Chicos jersey dresses for nighttime.  They weigh nothing and don’t wrinkle so I generally bring three for a seven night cruise.

My husband brings two pairs of khaki pants and a different polo/golf shirt for each day…and he generally puts on s sports coat on Evening Chic nights.

• Like 4

Since retiring we do extended land trips twice a year (pre covid).  We travel with carry on only for convenience and for physical reasons.

From time to time we buy last minute cruises depending on where we are.  Our practice  now is simply to avoid formal/gala nights and eat in the buffet.  We had years of dressing up for cruise and for business so skipping a gala night is not a big loss for us.

Edited by iancal

8 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

At what point did you decide that nobody else noticed?  

At some point I realized that I wasn't paying attention to what anyone else wore and that the same must apply to others. I still notice some of the great outfits people wear on dress up night but not the rest. It must be a natural filter. 

3 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I was on the 7/24 Edge sailing, on Chic nights there was a surprising number of folks in tuxes yet the MDR hosts were letting in folks with hats (including cowboys hats), shorts and flip flops.  Those who are on "Team dress code enforcement" may not want to cruise at the moment.

I never understood the Cowboy hat thing, seen them many times in the dining rooms.  Celebrity has always had an unwritten rule of allowing shorts on first and last night. I don’t comment on shorts on other nights because I don’t know the background story. People on cruise sometimes don’t get their luggage for example. I’ve also seen the vip treatment, once we were on a cruise with extended family in high end suites. Parents were rude and kids did what they wanted. Turns out they were really high end stockholders.

2 hours ago, dkjretired said:

I never understood the Cowboy hat thing, seen them many times in the dining rooms.  Celebrity has always had an unwritten rule of allowing shorts on first and last night. I don’t comment on shorts on other nights because I don’t know the background story. People on cruise sometimes don’t get their luggage for example. I’ve also seen the vip treatment, once we were on a cruise with extended family in high end suites. Parents were rude and kids did what they wanted. Turns out they were really high end stockholders.

Cowboys hats are generally a "Texas Pride" thing although exceptions exist.

Just pointing out this was on night 6 which was a "Chic night" so wasn't the last night; there wasn't any enforcement.

On 7/10/2021 at 11:26 AM, Jim_Iain said:

We are probably 60-70% below what we once packed.   We do usually bring dinner jackets but being Zenith we get unlimited free Laundry an Dry Cleaning.   We have laundry done about every other  day and allows us to pack much lighter.    We now try to pack for 1/2 the nights of a cruise so if 14 day cruise only pack 7 dress shirts and other things.   The laundry perk is especially helpful on a B2B

I'm not Zenith, but as Elite Plus between DH and I we have plenty of laundry perks.  Would love the dry cleaning part, but maybe someday🙂.  We always wear evening clothes more than once - no one notices and no one cares (especially me).  T-shirts, shorts, and most unmentionables go out every couple of days.  The days of lugging tons of suitcases for sailing are in the past for me.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Longwood Lady said:

We also were on a cruise with people who didn't change clothes.  Unfortunately they also stank.  We had to make sure we were far away from them!  If you don't bring many clothes, please wash your clothes as we sweat and stink sometimes.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, helen haywood said:

Well, even if I thought someone might notice that I was wearing the same dress every night (only for about two hours) I work under the “you’ll never see these people again” philosophy.  Back when guys wore tuxes for formal night, it was the same tux each occasion.

I bring Chicos jersey dresses for nighttime.  They weigh nothing and don’t wrinkle so I generally bring three for a seven night cruise.

My husband brings two pairs of khaki pants and a different polo/golf shirt for each day…and he generally puts on s sports coat on Evening Chic nights.

I’m in your husband’s corner.  Two pair of Khakis.  Some button shirts (4) that double as daytime casual with shorts (4 pair).  Skivvies, socks, swim trunks, tennis shoes, some shoes that double as walking and “quasi” dress shoes (I think they’re “Sketchers”) , toothbrush, razor…..I am packed.

I use the shampoo and soap that are n my cabin.  I bet I dress and smell as good as 99% on the ship.  And, I pack lite.

I have a back pack that goes under the seat and a roll aboard that goes in the plane’s overhead bin.

Normally for a cruise I enjoy planning my wardrobe way in advance.  Sigh.  Not this time.  Won’t even think about it until after getting test results on Wednesday for a Saturday cruise.  Now my husband always packs absolutely last minute.  Asks me the number of days we’ll be traveling and counts out the appropriate number of shirts, socks, etc.  For him every shirt he owns goes with cargo shorts for day and khakis for night.  And he only takes two pairs of shoes…

Not so for me.  Makeup, hair products etc also take up quite a bit of luggage…