With the revised dress codes for dinner.

Longboysfan

DH hasn't brought a jacket since our 1st cruise 17 years ago. He gave up button downs/tie a few years ago (lol about the time we went 1st tried Celebrity). He wears golf shirt (nice polo) & slacks.

I like to dress up a bit on a cruise as I don't dress up for work. But I can do a 7 day Caribbean cruise in a carry on & a backpack. But since we usually fly SWA, I allow myself lots of choices! But honestly a pair of capris & a breezy top covers everything but the pool/beach on a cruise.

Edited by KKB
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Longboysfan said:

How much clothes are you taking - or - what's the volume reduction you now have?

How long is your cruise? For us the length of the cruise is the deciding factor in how much we pack. Daytime clothes for the different ports, evening clothes, sea day lounging around the ship clothes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ahhh dress code posts. Cruises are back! 🤣 I'm joking (sort of). 

I'm a light packer in general but NOT for a cruise. Last week we traveled with two 25" suitcases, two carryon rollers and two underseat bags. We still take suits for Chic Nights. It's easy. You still need pants + shirt so throwing in a jacket isn't any more cumbersome. I do like options and typically wear 3 outfits a day (gym/swimwear/evening) so it add up quickly. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Just now, Longboysfan said:

7 days.

Now jackets not required.

Understood.

I laid out clothes and it seems like about half from 10 years ago.

Does that seem right?

I agree. Once you cruise you realize you change clothes a lot so they can be re-worn.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Ahhh dress code posts. Cruises are back! 🤣 I'm joking (sort of). 

I'm a light packer in general but NOT for a cruise. Last week we traveled with two 25" suitcases, two carryon rollers and two underseat bags. We still take suits for Chic Nights. It's easy. You still need pants + shirt so throwing in a jacket isn't any more cumbersome. I do like options and typically wear 3 outfits a day (gym/swimwear/evening) so it add up quickly. 

LOL after our first cruise DH said--I wore the jacket to dinner, took it off & put it on the chair, and didn't put it back on. Decided that wasn't necessary. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Longboysfan said:

7 days.

Now jackets not required.

Understood.

I laid out clothes and it seems like about half from 10 years ago.

Does that seem right?

Not for us.  I do see why you ask the question.  The Dress code and the dressing habits of the passengers have certainly changed from 10 years ago.  Certainly not a 50% reduction for us.  

If you have seen my previous posts elsewhere lamenting the downturn of dress codes and missing the old days of dressing up, I have to say I actually enjoy not having to schlep a tux and having to wrap my tux shoes so they don't get ruined in the travel.  I am an officer at an Elks Lodge and have to wear a tux at every installation once a month plus dignitary visitations so I really don't miss having to formalize while on vacation.  I will still slack and tie maybe a jacket on formal night but that is the extent now.  I would never wear shorts and flip flops in the dining room for any meal.

• Like 1

DH still prefers a blazer or sports jacket for chic nights. The only difference now is that we forgo his tux and my long gowns. But since the lengths of our cruises are now much longer than they were 10 years ago, the amount we pack, and the number of suitcases is roughly the same.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Packing remains more or less the same as in Formal Night days, except I no longer pack a suit jacket/blazer/sports coat. I've a 7-day and a 14-day clothing spreadsheet templates that I made long before Chic, and they've remained largely unchanged. I'll modify as needed, so as an example, the spreadsheets for an Alaska cruise and a Caribbean cruise won't be identical, but that's about it.

For DW and I, the biggest packing change from 10 years ago is all the techie equipment we carry, not only the devices but the chargers, cables and the like.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Packing remains more or less the same as in Formal Night days, except I no longer pack a suit jacket/blazer/sports coat. I've a 7-day and a 14-day clothing spreadsheet templates that I made long before Chic, and they've remained largely unchanged. I'll modify as needed, so as an example, the spreadsheets for an Alaska cruise and a Caribbean cruise won't be identical, but that's about it.

For DW and I, the biggest packing change from 10 years ago is all the techie equipment we carry, not only the devices but the chargers, cables and the like.

Spreadsheet? Me and you are exact opposites…I usually pack 10 minutes before I leave home, shoot from the hip….

• Haha 2

We are probably 60-70% below what we once packed.   We do usually bring dinner jackets but being Zenith we get unlimited free Laundry an Dry Cleaning.   We have laundry done about every other  day and allows us to pack much lighter.    We now try to pack for 1/2 the nights of a cruise so if 14 day cruise only pack 7 dress shirts and other things.   The laundry perk is especially helpful on a B2B

• Like 1

Just now, PTC DAWG said:

Spreadsheet? Me and you are exact opposites…I usually pack 10 minutes before I leave home, shoot from the hip….

LOL. If I travelled alone, I could probably go the carry on only route, but that would never fly with my DW. Besides, cruise planning, from what to do ashore to what to wear on day three, is all part of the enjoyment.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Yep--I was looking at packing lists online then found my spreadsheet--hasn't changed much besides electronics! (and my stainless straw--I'm a recycling fanatic but paper straws-- BLECH)

Edited by KKB
  • Like 2

We will be dressing up at least as much as we always have (tuxedo/gown on Chic nights, jacket/dress on other nights).  After a year and a half of housewear, we can't wait.

Even with snorkel stuff, we still just have one suitcase each.

• Like 1

I do bring nice clothes for the evenings.

I love dressing up on a cruise.

That said, I am a very smart packer.

I choose outfits which will pack well, resist wrinkles, and not be too heavy.

So yes, I will absolutely fill that suitcase with fabulous clothing and accessories... but they will be packed with practicality in mind.

19 hours ago, Longboysfan said:

How much clothes are you taking - or - what's the volume reduction you now have?

I don’t think I’ve reduced the volume.  I started to pack more swimsuits because I always like to look good around the pool.

• Haha 1

Oh packing, fun stuff!

We come from an area where there is still a bit of dressing up - DH owns his own tux and wears it - but we try to save those for longer trips. We very much enjoy dressing up, but won’t do that on this first cruise in August.

I have cut back and refined the regular clothes I bring, using some of the strategies already mentioned. Over about 2 years of shopping sales and Steinmart (alas), TJ Max, etc, I’ve built up a cruise wardrobe of coordinating, relatively inexpensive tops and bottoms. I’ve used the free laundry, but I don’t like sending my brighter colors and wrinkle free type clothes, because I think the water is too hot. I get more creative on the longer trips.

We have only done one TA from Southampton, but I definitely noticed more dressy wear on that cruise, more tuxes, more sequins - no where close to even a substantial minority, but men in jackets on chic night was the norm - just a thought.

• Like 1