The Daily for Sunday Jul 11, 2021

richwmn

33 minutes ago, bennybear said:

DD was just diagnosed with shingles and DSIL has a post op infection so both could use some prayers!

Oh dear, so sorry to hear his 😢. Shingles and infections are both horrible things.  Hope they both improve fast 🤞 Prayers winging their way 🙏🏻 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

DH just phoned our disabled neighbor Damon to see if he was home or not.  If he was home he would have had Damon use his garage door remote to open the garage and let DH take his trash down to the curb for pick up tomorrow.   To our surprise, he said he was in the hospital in Atlanta and had back surgery this morning.  It seems he went to our local hospital Tuesday with his back pain exacerbated by his recent falls.  He knew he didn't want surgery locally so his surgeon scheduled him for this morning in Atlanta and he came home in the meantime to wait for surgery today.  He seemed upbeat and stronger sounding so once he gets some therapy he can hopefully come back home soon.

We're hoping this is what he needs to get back to walking again.  Prayers for his successful recovery are welcomed.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon everyone!

Thank you for posting the pictures of your travels, I love looking at them.  I also am enjoying the pet pictures.  In December, we changed our minds on the "no more dogs" decision we made three years earlier (after losing our last border collie) we broke down with Covid and not traveling and got another dog!  So now we have established with a great kennel that Holly visits one day a week for "daycare" and they will kennel her if we cruise, or road trip where she can't come with us.  Holly is the brown one, the black & tan is her brother Biscuit who belongs to my daughter and the Grands!

Holly.jpg

• Like 22

Great days especially cheer up the lonely.  That should be everyday.  Cheering up someone is a blessing to all involved.  

Enjoyed our visit to Bordeaux on the Prinsendam about 3 years ago. Had a great tour to some wineries.  

Moving day for the Portland family.  I am on grandkid patrol.  They are busy riding bikes and staying out of the way of the movers.  Thankfully it isn't as warm here in Vancouver as it has been.  

Thanks for the lists and report RIch, and Roy.  Enjoying everyone's pictures .  Hamburgers and corn on the cob are on our menu tonight.  An easy summer meal after the move.  As most know, moves take a while.  Next is reorganizing and sorting and cleaning the old house.  It goes on sale the end of the month so they have time.  Makes me want to start sorting things out in both our houses that I don't need or want anymore.  I would hate to move out of either place!!  LOL!

Have a great Sunday afternoon/evening everyone.

• Like 16

@bennybear so sorry to hear your DD has shingles . . .they're very painful from what I've heard.  DH and I have had our shingles vaccine about 4 years ago and it looks like we'll be getting the new vaccine next year.  Good vibes and healing wishes being sent to your DSIL for his post-op infection.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 8

Thanks everyone for the kind words and prayers!  

@ger_77 yes get the new vaccine, it’s a lot more effective apparently.  I’ve had both, but DD is too young,  and teaching this year has been off the scale for stress.   

@StLouisCruisers  Our dog’s name was Ben,  aka bennybear 🤷‍♀️

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 8

6 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

Oh my....all the great pet photos today are a wonderful cure for loneliness.  My summer reading is the "All Creatures Great and Small" series, James Herriott.  The photos fit some of the characters in his books.

If you ever fly over Los Angeles County on a clear day, you will see literally thousands of swimming pools.  They are practically an essential here in Southern California.  

The Bordeaux photos are wonderful.  Looks like a "must-do."

I hope everyone is having a lovely and peaceful Sunday.  Thank you once again to all who contribute to The Daily.  DH and I are heading out to the desert today for a getaway.  Truly an odd thing to do, as it will be about 115 degrees.  I think we are testing our mettle.  

Have a great day, All.  😊  🌻

I haven’t seen a Tricky Woo yet though!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Today in Bar Harbor,  we met this bear like Newfie.

A friend who had a Newfie described them as "bears with plumed tails," and I've heard stories of strangers running away from a Newfie-containing car screaming "There's a bear in there!"

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

DH just phoned our disabled neighbor Damon to see if he was home or not.  If he was home he would have had Damon use his garage door remote to open the garage and let DH take his trash down to the curb for pick up tomorrow.   To our surprise, he said he was in the hospital in Atlanta and had back surgery this morning.  It seems he went to our local hospital Tuesday with his back pain exacerbated by his recent falls.  He knew he didn't want surgery locally so his surgeon scheduled him for this morning in Atlanta and he came home in the meantime to wait for surgery today.  He seemed upbeat and stronger sounding so once he gets some therapy he can hopefully come back home soon.

We're hoping this is what he needs to get back to walking again.  Prayers for his successful recovery are welcomed.

I am so hopeful this helps him.  We join you in the prayers 🙏🏻 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

A friend who had a Newfie described them as "bears with plumed tails," and I've heard stories of strangers running away from a Newfie-containing car screaming "There's a bear in there!"

I’ve never heard anyone describe a Newfie aka Newfoundland dog that way.  They are incredible, beautiful dogs and their breed has done a lot of life saving.  They have saved a lot of fishermen and sailors - like the Labrador and even the poodle they were bred to survive cold waters.

I guess because we have seen bears we know the difference between bears and dogs 😉 

But if you’ve never seen a bear - I guess 🤷‍♂️ They are big dogs but since I have a couple of larger ones myself…

Here is a prime Newfoundlander dog.  Note the owner there  to gage the height.  That is the real “Newfie”.

EF73DBEC-7B11-4F90-AEF9-8CBDB36FF646.jpeg.c6df6878c8f2a61f9dc34bb2d442e394.jpeg

In perspective, Marley comes past my waist and Miko up to my waist.

These are great dogs and I would have one but for the summers.  The heat will give them a heart attack and it breaks my heart to see some where they can’t tolerate the weather.

Sorry, but I’m a fan of these dogs for their wonderful personalities and their life saving of so many.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Today in Bar Harbor,  we met this bear like Newfie.

20210711_144316.jpg

It’s not a bear - it’s a dog.  The poor thing shouldn’t be there and it shouldn’t have been out in that temperature today.  The picture breaks my heart.

the owner should be locked in a hot car.  Sorry but the SPCA is coming out in me.  This is NOT a breed that can take the hot heat.  No dog should be out on hot pavement ever.  And from the looks of things, it’s a puppy.  Even worse.

My dogs were walked at 7 pm tonight when it cooled down (thankfully) enough for them.  I won’t risk their paws or a heart attack (big breed dogs are susceptible to heat).  

And the Newfoundland dog is really susceptible.  They die in a short time in inclimate weather that they are not adapted to 😢 

Apologies for the vent, but there are all kinds of animal abuse and submitting a big dog that can’t tolerate the heat just turns my stomach.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hi everyone!  I haven’t read the Daily yet but wanted to post an update. DM improved so much that she was released today from the hospital. I am so happy she is home because she wasn’t sleeping well. An oncologist came to see her and told her she probably won’t need to have surgery and that radiation will probably be the best option. She is very happy with that. I have some appointments to schedule so we will be going to the doctors for a bit. 

I also want to thank everyone for your prayers and thoughts and comments. It really means a lot. Just proves how special our Daily Family is and thanks so much to Rich for creating such a great place for us to share. 

Have a great evening everyone!

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Hi everyone!  I haven’t read the Daily yet but wanted to post an update. DM improved so much that she was released today from the hospital. I am so happy she is home because she wasn’t sleeping well. An oncologist came to see her and told her she probably won’t need to have surgery and that radiation will probably be the best option. She is very happy with that. I have some appointments to schedule so we will be going to the doctors for a bit. 

I also want to thank everyone for your prayers and thoughts and comments. It really means a lot. Just proves how special our Daily Family is and thanks so much to Rich for creating such a great place for us to share. 

Wow!  That is fabulous news 👍 So happy to hear it!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, kazu said:

It’s not a bear - it’s a dog.  The poor thing shouldn’t be there and it shouldn’t have been out in that temperature today.  The picture breaks my heart.

the owner should be locked in a hot car.  Sorry but the SPCA is coming out in me.  This is NOT a breed that can take the hot heat.  No dog should be out on hot pavement ever.  And from the looks of things, it’s a puppy.  Even worse.

My dogs were walked at 7 pm tonight when it cooled down (thankfully) enough for them.  I won’t risk their paws or a heart attack (big breed dogs are susceptible to heat).  

And the Newfoundland dog is really susceptible.  They die in a short time in inclimate weather that they are not adapted to 😢 

Apologies for the vent, but there are all kinds of animal abuse and submitting a big dog that can’t tolerate the heat just turns my stomach.

No apologies needed.  Animals just like children need our love and protection.  They depend on us and they trust us.  No creature should be abused or put in harm's way.  If someone can't treat them the way they should be treated, they shouldn't have them.  I guess I joined your rant.

Lenda

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, kazu said:

Sorry, but I’m a fan of these dogs for their wonderful personalities and their life saving of so many.

I'm sorry for offending you. I thought it would be entertaining, but I was wrong. I shan't reply again.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

That is good news that your DM was well enough to come home.  Also, good news that radiation is the treatment of choice.  Wishing her and you all the best.

Lenda 

• Like 3

Just now, kochleffel said:

I'm sorry for offending you. I thought it would be entertaining, but I was wrong. I shan't reply again.

No you didn’t offend.  

I am just defensive for these tremendous dogs that have done so much for humanity.

and honestly if you’ve seen a bear, you would know the difference, trust me 😉 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Glad you checked on your neighbor.  Hope the surgery is successful and he can regain a good quality of life. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1