Dress code

jjsnonna

Unable to travel with many suitcases these days without it costing an arm and a leg in additional baggage fees.  Since we only bring one suitcase each, suits and gowns no longer make the cut for our cruises. 

Edited by springfire
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, ScubesDad said:

however, it is exceptionally easy to be under dressed and remembered. 

Along those lines... I once competed against another gent for a promotion. His nickname was PigPen, for a reason. As luck had it he went into the interview just before me and I was really pleased. I dressed appropriately and he really didn't. Yes, that can make a difference in scoring. Truth.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I can never understand the logic of these threads.  Some people want to wear whatever they want, without being judged by those who want them to dress up, all the while they are judging the people who look down on how they dress.  

I guess people gonna judge...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jg51 said:

Why?  It is claimed that vast numbers of people -- at least from March through December, 2020, and maybe far beyond -- sat at home, all day, in their pajamas or underwear ... and got completely out of the habit of wearing even casual clothing (not to mention more formal wear).

It could follow logically, from the above (if it is factual), that many cruisers, who used to "dress up" may no longer be willing to do that aboard the ships.

Or, we might be really looking forward to finally having a reason and place to dress up, after all these months of casual.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, springfire said:

Unable to travel with many suitcases these days without it costing an arm and a leg in additional baggage fees.  Since we only bring one suitcase each, suits and gowns no longer make the cut for our cruises. 

We've never found it difficult to pack snorkeling gear, two weeks worth of clothing, lots of toiletries, shoes, etc. and still have plenty of room for a tuxedo and a couple of gowns/dresses in one suitcase each.  We're always under the airline weight limit, as well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

It's all about control.  Some people like to control other people.

Dress code---- That's something new --- today !!! 

The way Pinboy looks at it, it has nothing to do with people controlling other people.

Just follow the friggin rules, guidelines , or whatever the hell you want to call 'em as set out by the Cruise Company.

What's hard about that ?? 

Never mind " it's my body, it's my vacation , I have to dress up for work " BS  -- 

And , yes, I don't wanna look at " entitled " folks sitting there in tshirts, shorts, flip flops, etc etc. during dinner.

LOL--- Here it comes----- " So, Don't Look "

( I know I'm repeating myself , but, it's frustrating to read the same old, same old , about the dress code ). 

LOL--- Here it comes ---- " So Don't Read It "

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Yet another reason I am so glad that I never opened a FaceBook account.  

Yeah cuz NO ONE on cruise critic is ever judgmental in that way...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Dress code---- That's something new --- today !!! 

The way Pinboy looks at it, it has nothing to do with people controlling other people.

Just follow the friggin rules, guidelines , or whatever the hell you want to call 'em as set out by the Cruise Company.

What's hard about that ?? 

Never mind " it's my body, it's my vacation , I have to dress up for work " BS  -- 

And , yes, I don't wanna look at " entitled " folks sitting there in tshirts, shorts, flip flops, etc etc. during dinner.

LOL--- Here it comes----- " So, Don't Look "

( I know I'm repeating myself , but, it's frustrating to read the same old, same old , about the dress code ). 

LOL--- Here it comes ---- " So Don't Read It "

Sorry, I just don't agree with Pinboy.  Whatever Pinboy chooses to wear doesn't affect anyone.  I think Pinboy and I can agree on this.  so the only thing left is the desire to control others.

Edited by ipeeinthepool
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, m8zenblue said:

Just an observation from my recent 7/3/21 sailing on the Edge.

I saw many men wearing Hawaiian shirts, Polo shirts in MDR.

I even saw some wearing shorts  in the MDR.

I did not see any men wearing suits or jackets, nor women in fancy dresses.

This may be the latest trend to feel more comfortable.

I like it !

Really? Interesting.

The shorts surprise me a bit. Definitely do not care, but I am surprised.

Did you dine in one of the MDRs on Elegant Chic night--not ONE suit or "fancy" dress?

I truly find this impossible to believe.

("fancy" has a BROAD definition--from simple cocktail dress to evening gown)

I  have done 14 cruises over 17 years on Princess, Celebrity, RCCL, NCL & DCL, and my experience is that there are ALWAYS numerous women in "fancy" dresses every night of the week...and ALWAYS at least one guy in a suit on Formal/Evening Chic night. I was in the fashion field in my younger years, so I do notice. (again, DO NOT care what others wear  generally, but I appreciate a well dressed gentleman or lady. One night I'm in simple black capris & top, the next a sundress, the next a cocktail dress--any night)

Perhaps you just weren't looking?

Edited by KKB
  • Like 1

I love seeing a dress code thread!  Makes it seem like things are getting back to "normal." 😂

I do like dressing up sometimes, but other times casual slacks and a loose (and pretty) top are what I want to wear.  As long as I don't have to look at some guy's hairy armpits while he's wearing a "wife-beater,"  I couldn't give a rat's *ss what anyone else is wearing.  At lunch today, I saw a woman who's probably my age (mid-60's), and a bit more overweight than I am, wearing a t-shirt that said "Show your Tito's," and leopard-skin printed cropped leggings.  Made me laugh, and didn't ruin my lunch at all!

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

We've never found it difficult to pack snorkeling gear, two weeks worth of clothing, lots of toiletries, shoes, etc. and still have plenty of room for a tuxedo and a couple of gowns/dresses in one suitcase each.  We're always under the airline weight limit, as well.

Good for you!  Wear what makes you feel good.  The dining room experience is very different these day, even Celebrity has given up on formal nights.   Times are changing and we now leave the gowns and suits at home.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jjsnonna said:

First let me say I am not looking for a debate....but can anyone tell me why those that like to wear tuxes or gowns seem to be hellbent on trying to convince others that it is the norm?  It definitely is not.  I see so many posts on Facebook regarding this and just can't image why what someone else wears matter to anyone.  Dress up or don't, as long as you're within the dress code who cares.  Personally, I like to wear dresses (not gowns) but if someone else is wearing jeans I couldn't care less.  I actually posted this on FB and someone had the nerve to reply that they care "because I have to look at you".  Wow....on my vacations I just want to have fun and don't worry about what someone else does.

If you want to rant about FB dress code threads, then do it on FB. Not looking for debate?? Cow patties.

20 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I think Pinboy and I can agree on this.

Absolutely---

However, I think our interpretation of the word " control " might be slightly different regarding the Guidelines as set out by the Cruise Company.

If they ask for us to wear casual or chic or come to dinner wearing ( oops, forget that one ) what's the " big deal " . I don't look at it as the Cruise Company is " controlling " me.

LOL----Perhaps we can " settle " this big argument outside the pool one day ????  Just in case you--- 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, naturelovergirl said:

Regardless of anyone else…

My husband and I will be dressed nicely… because that is what we do on cruises.

That said, he does not wear a tux… he’s not a tux guy… but we do love looking spiffy.

Does not wear a tux?  Where's the dress code?  😆 

• Haha 1

We do not care what others wear.  We have no control over it so why would we let it bother us.

Nor are we a couple of busybodies who are transfixed on what everyone happens to be wearing.

We learned long ago that life is too short to worry about or concern ourselves about things like this.

Besides, enforcing the dress code is the sole purview of the cruise line staff.  Not our job.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pinboy said:

Absolutely---

However, I think our interpretation of the word " control " might be slightly different regarding the Guidelines as set out by the Cruise Company.

If they ask for us to wear casual or chic or come to dinner wearing ( oops, forget that one ) what's the " big deal " . I don't look at it as the Cruise Company is " controlling " me.

LOL----Perhaps we can " settle " this big argument outside the pool one day ????  Just in case you--- 

How about August 15 on the Equinox?  I'll get the Hawaiian shirts? 

2 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

How about August 15 on the Equinox?  I'll get the Hawaiian shirts? 

Make sure they're tucked in because nothing irritates me more than untucked shirts.  There oughta be a law. 

8 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Make sure they're tucked in because nothing irritates me more than untucked shirts.  There oughta be a law. 

There goes Central and South America, Hawaii, and large stretches of Brooklyn…

Forgot. The Philippines, much of Indonesia, honestly large portions of that part of the Pacific. Etc. 

Edited by markeb
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, markeb said:

There goes Central and South America, Hawaii, and large stretches of Brooklyn…

At least I know they won't be on my next cruise, now that X has accepted my changes to the dress code.

• Haha 2