Dress code

jjsnonna

First let me say I am not looking for a debate....but can anyone tell me why those that like to wear tuxes or gowns seem to be hellbent on trying to convince others that it is the norm?  It definitely is not.  I see so many posts on Facebook regarding this and just can't image why what someone else wears matter to anyone.  Dress up or don't, as long as you're within the dress code who cares.  Personally, I like to wear dresses (not gowns) but if someone else is wearing jeans I couldn't care less.  I actually posted this on FB and someone had the nerve to reply that they care "because I have to look at you".  Wow....on my vacations I just want to have fun and don't worry about what someone else does.

• Like 16
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, jjsnonna said:

First let me say I am not looking for a debate....but can anyone tell me why those that like to wear tuxes or gowns seem to be hellbent on trying to convince others that it is the norm?  It definitely is not.  I see so many posts on Facebook regarding this and just can't image why what someone else wears matter to anyone.  Dress up or don't, as long as you're within the dress code who cares.  Personally, I like to wear dresses (not gowns) but if someone else is wearing jeans I couldn't care less.  I actually posted this on FB and someone had the nerve to reply that they care "because I have to look at you".  Wow....on my vacations I just want to have fun and don't worry about what someone else does.

Seems you did want to start a debate here.  Why not keep it on fb..we have enough dress code threads already. Wear what you want and be happy!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Just an observation from my recent 7/3/21 sailing on the Edge.

I saw many men wearing Hawaiian shirts, Polo shirts in MDR.

I even saw some wearing shorts  in the MDR.

I did not see any men wearing suits or jackets, nor women in fancy dresses.

This may be the latest trend to feel more comfortable.

I like it !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jjsnonna said:

My point exactly, it shouldn't be a can of worms. And just curious if this was mainly an issue with Celebrity, since the dress code is outlined on their website.

You opened the can, at least get the popcorn?  🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, jjsnonna said:

It's all about control.  Some people like to control other people.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

People wear everything from tuxedos and stunning evening dresses to jeans and t shirts on evening chic nights. That is the norm ! Some people like me go on holiday to get dressed up to the nines every night , others just like to be casual. Each to their own. Wear whatever makes you feel good is my motto 😁

• Like 8

I think that, on balance, there are more posters encouraging others to dress down than there are posters trying to convince others to dress up. Either one is rather beside the point for those of us who simply use the published dress code to guide our choice.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, m8zenblue said:

Just an observation from my recent 7/3/21 sailing on the Edge.

I saw many men wearing Hawaiian shirts, Polo shirts in MDR.

I even saw some wearing shorts  in the MDR.

I did not see any men wearing suits or jackets, nor women in fancy dresses.

This may be the latest trend to feel more comfortable.

I like it !

Pick me….pick me…..

Ate last night at “Raw On 5”.  Hawaiian button shirt and khakis with top sliders.  All good.  If anything, these cruises coming out of COVID should loosen dress norms pretty emphatically!

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Pick me….pick me…..

Ate last night at “Raw On 5”.  Hawaiian button shirt and khakis with top sliders.  All good.  If anything, these cruises coming out of COVID should loosen dress norms pretty emphatically!

Why?  What does COVID have to do with anything, besides gaining weight?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Why?  What does COVID have to do with anything, besides gaining weight?

Why?  It is claimed that vast numbers of people -- at least from March through December, 2020, and maybe far beyond -- sat at home, all day, in their pajamas or underwear ... and got completely out of the habit of wearing even casual clothing (not to mention more formal wear).

It could follow logically, from the above (if it is factual), that many cruisers, who used to "dress up" may no longer be willing to do that aboard the ships.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I think that, on balance, there are more posters encouraging others to dress down than there are posters trying to convince others to dress up. Either one is rather beside the point for those of us who simply use the published dress code to guide our choice.

I resemble your last sentence. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jjsnonna said:

First let me say I am not looking for a debate.

Odd way to start a thread, but that's your choice.

We like to dress nicely for dinner on Chic night. I encourage others to do so, if they wish. I don't spend a second of my time trying to 'convince' others it's the way to dress.

As someone else has said I spend time looking at my lovely bride and don't care what others in the room are wearing. I'm not the Chief of Dress Police and I like to enjoy my dinner. The Luminae hosts can worry about what passengers are wearing.

• Like 2

britches and flip flops are OK, right??   LOL  

Dress to the code, and you will be fine.  I never want to wear a tux or suit, but that is me.  I don't care if that is what you need to wear.  As for the lines, I think they like to keep the option because the pictures still make them money.  

• Like 3

It is good to see things are getting back to normal.

I really don't care what other people wear, as long as they respect what I am wearing. To be clear I will adhere to the suggested dress code, and most likely will be dressed significantly "chicer" than the minimum. We normally travel for a month at a time with a cruise placed in the middle of that time frame. Depending on how much travel is involved, and what activities/events we have planned,  I may dress at the top end with a suit/tux, maybe a jacket & tie, or a pair of dockers and a polo shirt.  As long as I get the good housekeeping seal of approval before I seal my suitcase I am good.

I truly believe people continue to preach about tuxes being required because they believe if they say it enough people will believe it.  I have enough self confidence in my selection that I fail to care what other people may or may not think.

Advice I once received when I started working, It is extremely difficult to be over dressed for an event, and be remembered; however, it is exceptionally easy to be under dressed and remembered. 

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, ScubesDad said:

I truly believe people continue to preach about tuxes being required because they believe if they say it enough people will believe it.  I have enough self confidence in my selection that I fail to care what other people may or may not think.

Advice I once received when I started working, It is extremely difficult to be over dressed for an event, and be remembered; however, it is exceptionally easy to be under dressed and remembered. 

Couldn't agree more.