July 25, 2021 Live From Majestic Princess Alaska sailing

2 hours ago, jpearson50 said:

Has anyone seen any mention of the pub lunch?

I was wondering about that too. I did a search of this thread, and it looks like you're the only one who asked. So, good folks who are on the ship, did they have pub lunch yesterday?

41 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

As we all are sad and about the prime rib not making its debut yet (there's still time). I would be very curious to know during formal night do they have escargot ? That's my absolute favorite.

Guess it's been too many months between cruises. I forgot about escargot - I usually order two when it's on the menu. Hope it's there, too.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, dog said:

Always appreciate posts like this from Live on the ship. 
How is the weather? temperature?

Just entering the inside passage and it’s a cool and cloudy morning.  Around 53F, just my cup of tea. Fingers crossed that it doesn’t rain today. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, dog said:

Always appreciate posts like this from Live on the ship. 
How is the weather? temperature?

Agreed. These posts are much appreciated.

Here's today's weather in Juneau:

image.thumb.png.6b37507d440f08274447794cc653c5e3.png

Here's a link to a Juneau webcam. It times out quite a bit, so just refresh your screen to get it back.

Juneau Harbor Webcam - Live Streaming Video from PTZtv

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Cali Viajera said:

I thought the Majestic was too large for the Inside Passage. Our cruise on her next June routes her to the west of Vancouver island.

Hi Cali Viajera – I agreed with your comments.

How long is the Majestic actually sailing in the 'inside passage' and is this during daylight hours?  

Not very long in my humble opinion. 

Looking at the Inside Passage (which is over 600 miles long) – the Bliss versus Majestic (Royal class) -- there is a difference in the route these big ships take.  For me, the “Inside Passage” going south from the southern tip of Alaska uses the Grenville Channel.  The Grenville Channel is possibly the most dramatic part of the Inside Passage.  Large cruise ships (Majestic) do not take this route. The channel narrows to about quarter-mile at mile 518.  Just beautiful!!  The Northern Canyons is especially dramatic 100 mile stretch of the Inside Passage which begins at Boat Bluff Lighthouse.  The almost 90-degree turn is too sharp for large cruise ships like the Majestic so they use a modify route.  Once you approach the Queen Charlotte Sound large ships (Majestic & Discovery) traverse west of Vancouver Island and smaller ships (Emerald & Sapphire) enter the Queen Charlotte Strait then the Johnstone Strait with very beautiful scenery as you head toward Seattle or Vancouver.

Chengkp75 has many comments on the Inside Passage.  If I remember correctly, the problem with these very large Princess ships (Royal Class) is their rudder/propeller configuration – especially at slow speed.  Plus, the fact that Princess Royal class ships (Majestic & Discovery) have somewhere around 3.1 acres of sail area (the amount of surface exposed to a wind blowing on the side of the vessel), and Southeast Alaska Pilots Association were concerned about getting cruise ships through narrow parts of the Inside Passage. Also, British Columbia, Canada -- made the decision that they would not be allowed (Princess Royal class ships) to transit Seymour Narrows, which meant that ships had to sail west of Vancouver Island.  It should be noted that Princess is in talks with BC to change this decision.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 7/25/2021 at 8:44 PM, Gilgod said:

Have the dining rooms been reconfigured to accommodate more tables for two, since most passengers are parties of two.  Thank you.

You know, the dining rooms look quite similar to pre-covid.  There are still a number of tables for two but, they are asking if you’d like to share a table for those meals for which you haven’t made a reservation.  The tables for two that we’ve been seated at are the bench seats which are pretty much as close together as before.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cruisindanx said:

Just entering the inside passage and it’s a cool and cloudy morning.  Around 53F, just my cup of tea. Fingers crossed that it doesn’t rain today. 

53F! That's freezing to us Florida sissies! 🙂

Hope the weather is good for you. Enjoy.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 7/25/2021 at 8:10 PM, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I think you may have answered this but I can’t find your response.  Are we allowed to use our drink package in our cabin?  Thank you so much for sharing your cruise with us.  

Our meet and greet coordinator said you could but that’s not what we are seeing.  If you order a drink through the app, there is an associated charge with it.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, kml246 said:

53F! That's freezing to us Florida sissies! 🙂

Hope the weather is good for you. Enjoy.

Hey, who are you to be calling us a sissie? 🤣 Sometimes us folks from Florida enjoy the break from the heat and the summer storms Hehehehe. Love the cooler temps. Th weather sure does sounds gorgeous. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

There is no longer voyage-length internet pricing.  Not to say it will never return, but Princess has gone to strictly daily pricing times # days of voyage. 

PRE-CRUISE

1 device        = $10/day

4 devices      = $20/day

ON BOARD

1 device        = $15/day

4 devices      = $25/day

Individual single day internet on-board = $20/day.

If you are Platinum or higher in Captain's Circle, then you get 50% off the above pricing.

If ordering pre-cruise, you pay the full price and receive an on-board refundable credit to your account.

Eventually, the pre-order capability will be added to MC App.  Until then, you phone Princess to order.

When added to MC App, guests will be charged the net difference after discount - if eligible.

ETA:  I would be interested to know if anyone ordered internet on board, did they use the higher pricing above, or did they use the $10/day rate - perhaps because people could not pre-order online and may not have known or thought to phone in.  Kind of like a be-nice-to-the-guest move.

Just wanted to update for those who are interested I did contact princess through the chat on their website. If you're going to pre-order the internet you do need to do it a minimum 5 days prior to your sailing in order to do the pre-order. So for those of us who are on the August 1st sailing today is your last day to do it just as an FYI.

Thanks again to Steelers36 for the informative information in regards to the internet as my representative told me the same exact thing he listed out about the pricing pre cruise and onboard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jeter02 said:

As we all are sad and about the prime rib not making its debut yet (there's still time). I would be very curious to know during formal night do they have escargot ? That's my absolute favorite.

I didn’t see it last night. There is still another formal night coming. 

• Thanks 2

On 7/26/2021 at 2:48 AM, Jeter02 said:

I do I'm so sad and by the pillow chocolates. Definitely would put a smile on your face before going to bed to see that extra little sweet treat.

I heard you can request them.  Maybe true, maybe not … I can ask my room steward if I see him today.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I heard you can request them.  Maybe true, maybe not … I can ask my room steward if I see him today.  

Awe. You're amazing, yes please. I'd be very curious to know. The whole point of the pillow chocolates was to wish you sweet dreams.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2021 at 4:10 AM, Jeter02 said:

One other question I really truly hope I'm not being much of a bother, if you choose to have breakfast or even lunch in the main dining room if anyone can let us know do you need to book a reservation on the MC app, or can we just go straight down and be seated right away as a walk-in?

Once again I do truly appreciate all of you who are being so kind and lovely to share your experiences with us as it is a great wealth of knowledge.

It doesn’t look to be a problem to walk right up to be seated even without a reservation.  But, this sailing is at a reduced capacity.  
we like to eat dinner around 6:15 every night and that wasn’t usually available prepandemic.  I love being able to make reservations and get right in.  

• Like 3

On 7/26/2021 at 5:09 AM, chabad said:

During dinner in the main dining room where you guys handed actual menus or did you have to scan a QR code to pull up the menu on your phone?

There are actual menus in the restaurants.  No QR code’s in the dining areas.  
we did see one at Vines but we couldn’t get it to work.  The staff there we so helpful, though with recommendations.  They know their stuff there!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1