The Daily for Saturday July 31, 2021

richwmn

2 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good morning everyone and Happy Saturday!  Thank you for the Daily Rich. I love the collection of days. Avocados 🥑 hold great memories. My Aunt and Uncle owned an avocado grove (I think that’s the right term, maybe orchard) in Southern California and I spent many summers there as a kid. So avocados were readily available. I wish I had pictures. Cotton candy reminds me of fair time. 

And for mutt day I’ll share my Blue:

C1F49B47-73D6-4E90-AD3D-28E55A58447B.thumb.jpeg.ad038aade580c3ccead4a54a4fc91dad.jpeg

I forgot to share this picture the other day of DM, she looks so good, hard to believe she will be 92 in a month. We both had a Bloody Mary. 

7C995ADF-84AF-4B42-A6B2-1542DEF5651D.thumb.jpeg.73afef199d47bf74b427da3113d15702.jpeg

I have not been to Loreto. Thanks to everyone who posted pictures. 

Have a great day everyone!

My gosh, Sharon...your mom looks incredible.  What a great inspiration!

• Like 9

1 hour ago, XBGuy said:

Wow, for the second day in a row, I have actually been to the Port of the Day.  Like @Quartzsite Cruiserwe were on a Princess 10-day Sea of Cortez cruise.  Ours was in 2017.

In Loreto we enjoyed a ship's excursion at a Clambake Fiesta.  It featured local clams that were baked in a pit in the sand along with a buffet of excellent food, musical and dancing entertainment, and, ta-dah, a Piñata. 

DSCF0914.thumb.JPG.8792bd1ec3ea489aa4ca49a40de4e698.JPG

DSCF0918.thumb.JPG.bd5212796cfa266875d297213752ab5f.JPG

DSCF0934.thumb.JPG.6a867805d2742f4cc1a8df0dcab12faa.JPG

DSCF0940.thumb.JPG.b094a682050fe8d71d4fd126c67ffffc.JPG

DSCF0981.thumb.JPG.8bcd03ebf471ff9a98f0b53a9667ded0.JPG

DSCF0980.thumb.JPG.db8da265096e0418cf4d8d6a85214e2d.JPG

Mrs, XBGuy and I enjoyed our meal immensely.  We were seated at a table of about 10 people, and I really enjoyed the lady sitting across from me.  She was hilarious.  The clams were delivered to the tables on a plate.  So, there was a plate of clams at our end of the table and a plate at the other end.  After our plate was finished, I went over to the pit and saw that there were still a lot of clams left.  So, I brought back another plate.  Well, this lady across from me liked that and she subsequently refilled the plate, herself, twice more.  By then, I think, that she and I were the only ones still eating clams.     

Of course, "The Ugly Ameriican" was in the group.  I heard more that one comment to the effect that "I can get better, more authentic Mexican food back home."  I have never understood the interest that people have in food authenticity.  It may be a California thing, but if I ever mention that I discovered a new good Mexican restaurant in a group, invariably, someone in the group will ask if it is "authentic."  Who cares?  Food is either good or not good.  There is nothing special about "authentic" food that doesn't taste good.

After the clambake I did walk around the town and was quite enchanted,  We have another Sea of Cortez cruise booked for December 2022. and I, very much, look forward to visiting Loreto again.

After that feast for lunch, dinner, that not was pretty modest--likely, small noshes in the wine bar.  😁

Thanks for all the great photos.  We may be down there at Christmastime and having never been to Loreto, it's great to see them.  I was curious about the clam bake because a long time ago, DH went diving near Bahia de Los Angeles and brought up "scallops" which we cooked.  They were pretty gross and that put me off of the clam bake, but yours look totally different and yummy.  It looks like a really fun thing to do and the town looks darling.  So glad to hear you say you're looking forward to going back.  👍

• Like 7

Good afternoon. Our after noon clouds are moving in, but that is normal this time of year (if there still is a normal).  Our best chance of rain is Sunday night and early Monday morning, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. 🤞 

I finished the yard a couple hours ago, and after showering have been catching up on the Daily happenings and cooling down.

When I got in, DH said it was 94F, felt like 103F and the dew point was 76F. . It's now 96F but feels like it's 106F with a dew point of 73F.  I'll be staying inside this afternoon.  I think I may have to start the yard work earlier the next few weeks, but several of our neighybors are on trips, and most are early risers.  At least, last summer, I bought a cooling towel that helps.  You soak it in cool water, then place it aournd your shoulders.  With our heat and the sun, I have to rewet it several times, but it does make a difference on hot, sunny days.

A lot has been happening since early this morning.  

@smitty34877  Please be careful when out and wear your msak.  Our numbers in Texas are rising too, and the majority of counties, including ours, have very low vaccination numbers.. Still sending good thoughts for improvement for Tana, and for Miss Camilla.

@StLouisCruisers Sandi, good that you will get to see your DGS graduate, and nice the school is doing this for last year's grads.  Have a safe trip, and be careful.  Sorry your neighbor has a breakthrough case of Covid.  That is why we are wearing our masks in stores again and I've decided to postpone my retail therapy session in Waco for a while.

@jayhawk66  Welcome to the Daily, the friendliest place on CC.  Glad that Lucas is doing better.

@Mr. Boston We had avacado appliances in our first house in 1970.  They were better than harvest gold or coppertone, and a change from white.  Finally, in 1986 or 87, DH and his brother spray painted the refrigerator almond and used it in the townhouse we used as an office and guest house.  It sold with the townhouse in 1999.

@AncientWanderer I vaguely remember the cotton candy in the Canaletto now that you mentioned it.  I even think we tried a little bit of it -- once.   😃

@cat shepard  Ann, I'll add my WOW on the pictures.  I would have joined you in the mini-bus instead of the glacier hike.  The last time we were in Iceland, we rented a car and made it as far east from Reykjavik as Vik and the Black Sand Beach.  I can't wait for the next installment and will be sad when your wonderful trip ends.

@Horizon chaser 1957  Safe travels to you and your DD tomorrow.  Enjoy your visit with relatives.

@JazzyV Vanessa, sycamore trees are trashy trees with their shedding bark and leaves in the fall, but they are fast growing and provide good shade.  We planted one at our old house to shade an upstairs bedroom window.  The new owners cut it down shortly after moving in.  Growing up, we had two sycamore trees in our front yard, and they helped keep the house cool in the summer before a/c.

@Sharon in AZ If I'm lucky enough to make it to 92, I hope I look half as good as your DM.

@St. Louis Sal  Sally, you are braver than I am to do the glacier hike.  

Good grief, this turn out to be a long post, since I'd missed a lot this moring on a busy day on the Daily.

Lenda

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Congratulations Sandi for your grandsons graduation next Saturday.

A very proud time to celebrate for him and your family.

Graham.

Thank you Graham.  We are very happy for him, plus he has a good job now and a puppy to share his apartment.  Life is good!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Love, love love avacados; that ham looks pretty good also. I am told that my dad used to mash avacados up and feed them to me when I was a baby. I will have to pass on cotton candy. My 2 fur baby's are both American Shorthair Cats formerly know as "alley cats"; would they qualify as "mutts" since the parents are unknown?

I have been to Loreto on 3 HAL cruises and it is my favorite Mexican port. To both @Quartzsite Cruiserand  @XB Guy thank you for bringing back wonderful memories with your photos.

@grapau27I love seeing the photos of your travels and especially your lunchs but I am curious that your lunches are so substantial. Do you have "lunch" at midday then have a dinner in the evening? I know I am being way to nosy.

Jane

Edited by lazey1
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thank you Graham.  We are very happy for him, plus he has a good job now and a puppy to share his apartment.  Life is good!

That is fantastic news.

Sending him best wishes for a successful career.

Graham.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, lazey1 said:

Love, love love avacados. I am told that my dad use to mash them up and feed them to me when I was a baby. I will have to pass on cotton candy. My 2 fur baby's are both American Shorthair Cats formerly know as "alley cats"; would they qualify as "mutts" since the parents are unknown?

I have been to Loreto on 3 HAL cruises and it is my favorite Mexican port. To both @Quartzsite Cruiserand  @XB Guy thank you for bringing back wonderful memories with your photos.

@grapau27I love seeing the photos of your travels and especially your lunchs but I am curious that your lunches are so substantial. Do you have "lunch" at midday then have a dinner in the evening? I know I am being way to nosy.

Jane

Hi Jane.

Thank you for asking.

When we are at home we have a light breakfast and lunch with the main meal on an evening.

With no cruising and being part retired we have been going out regularly and had a few day trips as well as 2 and 3 night short breaks.

If we stay away we have a meal also in the hotel in the evening but if we go home we will only have a light dinner.

Take care and best regards.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 12

1 hour ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Sniff sniff , I should have been flying to Venice tonight to board Rotterdam tomorrow for her premier. Someday the world will be back to normal.🤞🙏

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Me, too!

Ahh, I know how that feels. 😢. Sad when those dates come for sure 😢 

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, lazey1 said:

Love, love love avacados; that ham looks pretty good also. I am told that my dad used to mash avacados up and feed them to me when I was a baby. I will have to pass on cotton candy. My 2 fur baby's are both American Shorthair Cats formerly know as "alley cats"; would they qualify as "mutts" since the parents are unknown?

Jane

Jane, could you please share a little bit more about what you did in Loreto?  We are trying to figure out the ports on that HAL itinerary, and aren't sure what to do there.

Thanks so much

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

We are on board having lunch in the MDR.

20210731_124830.jpg

YAY 🙂  Have a wonderful cruise 🛳. If you have time and want to share some of the fun with us, you don’t have to twist our arms too hard 😂 

Hope you have a blast!

• Like 13

Good Afternoon, getting through security and check in was a breeze.  We arrived at 11:45 for our noon group A check in.  They were boarding groups A through E.  So it looks like they didn’t adhere to the required boarding times.    The longest part was actually boarding the ship after check in.  It took much longer than usual.

We had lunch in the MDR.  It’s such a nice way to start a vacation.  Service was prompt and the food came out quickly.  It seemed faster than previous visits.  When ordering dessert I tried to use the QR code.  The system was unavailable, the three of us laughed.  

Muster station was a breeze.  They are constantly reminding people to check in at their station.  Once that was completed we went to the lido for peanut butter silk pie as a reward.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, superoma said:

Squirrels! They are constantly taking our tomatoes @nd running along our privacy fence with them

Maybe, We have lots of squirrels on this tree lined street. But I also saw a deer twice in my yard in the last 2 weeks; never had I seen that before. Unfortunately I had turned off my outside cameras when I was mowing the lawn yesterday and forgot to turn them on last evening. That's how I saw the deer.

• Like 10